post #451 of 460 Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

IIRC, FAT32 can do 4GB, NTFS can do 2.3E18. The following is from a my post here. BTW, I have been doing the below since 2001 + the same from the PBS satellite (HD only) for even longer.

OK, some real world test. I record and edit for viewing 10 weekly ATSC shows from CBS. They are 19.39 Mb/s CBR transport stream files. For the test a 1GB file (run time 7 Min. - 20 Sec.) was processed to a SD card (via a USB 2 High Speed Write/Reader), a USB Jump Drive and a Pocket Drive that consist of a 160GB Seagate 5400RPM 2-1/2" hard drive in a NextStar-SX USB case. The write times:

SD 10 Min. - 20 Sec.
Jump Drive 3 Min. - 7 Sec.
Pocket Drive 1 Min. - 8 Sec.

The file played back from all the devices without any problems. I like the idea of a SSD but it is to expensive at this point in time and I hope most people know there is a limited number of write cycles on these SSD's. For my HD application the Flash Cards are not large enough (not even the announced 64 GB version).

The one thing though is that if they are used in this way, it probably more likely to be lost than breakdown from degredation. errors from a "bd plugin" (human error or not) is probably more likely. I have done a few times myself.

The biggest problem that I have read about these are when people try to use these instead of a HDD for windows. From what I remember, they have a special mod for XP to work in those notebooks that run on these. Windows rewrites so much that it can degrade it pretty quickly. This doesn't appear to be the case with this.... hopefully.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 460 Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

Hate to break topic here, but will this exfat be the new disk format for Windows 7? Also, is there a new cap?

Pure guess work here. I would say Windows 7 will support FAT16, FAT32, NTFS and exFAT. You can download a beta copy of Windows 7 (have not tried myself).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 460 Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

post #454 of 460 Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there going to be a place for a memory card? I would bet that it will only play movies downloaded from itunes.

post #455 of 460 Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Is there going to be a place for a memory card? I would bet that it will only play movies downloaded from itunes.

Probably the case unless Apple also joined the memory card bandwagon. But something tells me they won't. So the impact is different. To the extent Apple offers HD video compatibility with future iPhone, others are sure to follow. And they would do it with memory cards....

Amir
Founder,

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #456 of 460 Old 01-22-2009, 07:50 PM

I was pleasantly surprised.. there's even more and more music on cards at my local stores.

I don't like the model they have though.. I don't want to buy a card every time, but I think it's getting there.

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
post #457 of 460 Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In that case, I don't know what model you're waiting for, at least for music. You can already buy MP3s and other formats, then put them on a card if you want multiple albums on one.
post #458 of 460 Old 01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It does seem like the window for this would ideally have been pre-iPod craze. Unfortunately, the pricing for even 256 MB cards in that time would not have helped the situation.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #459 of 460 Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I hope the industry pull against one standard that works despite on what hardware you want to play the files on.

That was the good thing about mp3, everyone accepts it today. (While it wasnt the industry that pushed it, they do now)
post #460 of 460 Old 01-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

In that case, I don't know what model you're waiting for, at least for music. You can already buy MP3s and other formats, then put them on a card if you want multiple albums on one.

We are talking about viability overall. The model is with kiosks. Instead of putting music on a card and sell it as a package, we are talking about kiosks that would serve music and movies in a similar fashion as iTunes. You put in your card, you pay for whatever you want and download to your card. I think that DRM wouldn't be a problem either. You would probably enter your ID or something on your playback devices, just like iTunes and play all your content without problems. You could back it up, do whatever, the same you do with iTunes. You could even take it to your friend and authorize temporarily there to watch together but everyone would have their own ID and username and couldn't be used at the same time etc. Apple solved this problem very elegantly. I don't see why this couldn't be applied to memory cards.

I think this is where industry support through DECE is very important. Considering that all major players are members of DECE, it shouldn't be a problem to incorporate this type of ecosystem across plethora of devices in every aspect. It would be transparent to us as consumers as it would work everywhere but it would still rely on the same DRM model.

I think that's where we will end up, but memory cards are obviously getting more and more attention. Music is always first and present today because of the size and price of the higher size memory cards but within a couple of years there's no doubt we'll have the same with movies. They'll obviously start with SD movies and expand to HD as the prices become more accessible IMO.

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page