NetFlix Streaming HD Movies on XBOX 360 Live - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At the beginning of January I decided to link my NetFlix and XBOX Live account and try out the new streaming movie service. I have not had any buffering problems and both SD and HD content look really good on my television. Although the movie selection for your NetFlix Instant que is not very large yet they do offer many TV series seasons.

Plus when you navigate your que on the console it provides you with the NetFlix rating (including allowing you to rate a show/movie directly on the screen) as well as movie/show information and cover art. For TV series it breaks down into each individual episode with a detailed description of each.

I have my XBOX 360 connected to a Pioneer VSX-818V-K Receiver via HDMI and optical audio cable (the receiver does not process audio via HDMI) and then via HDMI from the receiver to my Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U Plasma.

CHECK OUT MY SCREEN SHOTS BELOW!
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, can you confirm that you can output HD via component or VGA (not HDMI)?

I'm still sitting on the fence and haven't decided yet on whether to get a PS3 or an Xbox 360, this might just tip the scale a little more towards the Xbox...

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #3 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I stream HD from NETFLIX using VGA on my XBOX 360.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

I can 100% confirm that it works via component cables but have no idea about using VGA.

I recently visited my sister and brought the XBOX along for my nephews to enjoy and since her TV lacked HDMI I brought my component connections with me and everything looked and sounded fine.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

So now you have double confirmation to your question. Apparently both work fine. I have no idea why so many people on the forums think you are required to use HDMI for this service. I also wanted to note that the XBOX Live community is superior when compared to the PS3 online. You have custom avatars, can download entire games directly to your console, start parties with groups of friends, they use a great True Match system so when you play games online you are matched with folks that have a similiar skill level and frankly it's just a better system overall.

I own a 360 which I bought, a Wii (for the kids) and a PS3 (from the wife) and I love my 360 the most.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use VGA...works fine.

The service is pretty decent, and since I had a 360 and Netflix account already, it's basically "free" to me, since I'm not paying anymore than I was before. I actually cut back my Netflix account from 4-at-a-time to 3-at-a-time so I'm actually saving money now.

Of course, it's not Vudu or Blu-Ray quality, but again, I'm only paying $17/month for an unlimited amount of streaming, and I still get Blu-Rays shipped to me to watch on the PS3.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in the same boat as you mproper. I already had subscriptions to both services so it was simply a matter of connecting the console to my NetFlix account (which is as simple as entering a 8 character code on your PC).

Not too shabby.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM

This is clearly the future. Netflix will soon have no use for their DVD and disc shipping capabilities. I wonder what could be done with those kinds of faciliteis when everything is broadband based.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_One_Rental View Post

This is clearly the future. Netflix will soon have no use for their DVD and disc shipping capabilities. I wonder what could be done with those kinds of faciliteis when everything is broadband based.

Well...I think that is a long ways off, given the current streaming market, lack of devices, and pricing structures.

Vudu is the closest thing to Blu-Ray quality in a download service (and it's not even quite there...but closer than anything else I've seen) but it's ridiculously/prohibitively expensive. I watch about 20 movies each month between discs and streaming with Netflix, for only $18/month. For me to watch that on Vudu would run me well over $100....and more like $120-$140 or so). I'm just not willing to pay that much each month for the added quality (plus the cost of another box). I've said it before, but the buffet plan is how they will take off. Give me up to 20 movies for $40/month, and I'm all over it. That's how they'll differentiate themselves from the PSN, XMB (those are the PS3's and XBOX's download service) and the other PPV services out there.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Both of you make excellent points. The DVD will likely exist for another decade but streaming video will also become more common place and will likely offer New Releases instantly at the same time as DVD launch.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSS Nick View Post

Both of you make excellent points. The DVD will likely exist for another decade but streaming video will also become more common place and will likely offer New Releases instantly at the same time as DVD launch.

FWIW, Vudu already does offer "purchase" of New Releases instantly the same time as DVD launch, only rentals are artificially delayed by the studios.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #12 of 20 Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If a person could design the best DL service available it would be Netflix type monthly plan with Vudu type quality as mproper states. Also, release the HD DL option at the same time as the DVD. It would surely kill DVD and a certain other physical format ... not that I care these formats are killed off, it would be natural selection.

I also hope Vudu gets designed into some other set top devices or HDTV sets. Yesterdays CE Pro article really put the chill in Vudu.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

If a person could design the best DL service available it would be Netflix type monthly plan with Vudu type quality as mproper states. Also, release the HD DL option at the same time as the DVD. It would surely kill DVD and a certain other physical format ... not that I care these formats are killed off, it would be natural selection.

I also hope Vudu gets designed into some other set top devices or HDTV sets. Yesterdays CE Pro article really put the chill in Vudu.

Yes, a buffet plan for Vudu or AppleTv would make it an instant buy for me. Either $40-$50 a month for 20 movies (give or take) or make the movies $2 - $2.50 each, which would be cutting their current costs by 60+%.

The last thing brings up an interesting point. I wonder if Vudu (for example) could do something similar to what Netflix is doing with the Blu-Ray players and XBOX. I wouldn't mind getting Vudu through my XBOX or PS3, but I'm not sure that competition would be too direct with their own XMB and PSN stores (as opposed to Netflix which also requires a Gold Live subscription).

I can't imagine the XBOX or PS3 can't handle whatever is in the Vudu box.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I can't imagine the XBOX or PS3 can't handle whatever is in the Vudu box.

PS3 yes, XBOX no. HDMI audio. I don't mind PCM from the PS3, it's a good start. I would rather my Denon did the decoding anyway, so there is room for improvement in each box.

I tell you if Vudu, XBOX, NetFlix, PS3, Roku or AppleTV came out with a tiny box capable of HDMI 1.3 and HD downloads, they may control the field. I think the PS3 is the closest but the Vudu interface and remote (control through the site) is soooo much better than the PSN.

I think everyone is in the wait and see mode. Once the economy turns up, these VOD services really take off and upgrade.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

I think there is natural selection taking place, but it is mostly limited to the rent or per per view market. Here is the sequence:

1) The National chains put the pressure on the mom nad pop video stores
2) Netflix snailmail put the pressure on national brick and morter shops
3) Download services put the pressure on Netflix
4) Netflix counters with download serve that eventually replace the physical media model

I still don't see this having much impact on the movie purchase model. Sure, some of these download models support "purchase," but I think it will be a long time before many people will want to lock their purchases into a single entity.

I was never a cable or DTV PPV guy, so I'm not quite sure how that is impacted by downloads. My guess is that downloads have impacted them. I would even guess that PPV was competing directly with local video rentals and Netflix as well.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM

I recently set up my system to stream netflix movies through my XBOX360. I like the interface well enough, the price is good, and the convenience is great

BUT

(1) The vido quality is really sub-par. On my 1080p projector with a 105" screen, the Netflix streamed video looked so out of focus that I could barely watch it (I am not exaggerating at all). This is, of course, a result of a very low quality source being upconverted.

(2) Movie selection is laughable. It's NOT the entire Netflix library....or anything even close. There are a handful of newish releases, a handful of decent movies, then a few hundred absolute crap movies.

I would assume that video quality and selection will improve over time. I certainly hope it does anyways.

For those of you using average sized standard def TVs, the picture quality should be fine....but you'll struggle to find decent movies to watch.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjb View Post

I recently set up my system to stream netflix movies through my XBOX360. I like the interface well enough, the price is good, and the convenience is great

BUT

(1) The vido quality is really sub-par. On my 1080p projector with a 105" screen, the Netflix streamed video looked so out of focus that I could barely watch it (I am not exaggerating at all). This is, of course, a result of a very low quality source being upconverted.

(2) Movie selection is laughable. It's NOT the entire Netflix library....or anything even close. There are a handful of newish releases, a handful of decent movies, then a few hundred absolute crap movies.

I would assume that video quality and selection will improve over time. I certainly hope it does anyways.

For those of you using average sized standard def TVs, the picture quality should be fine....but you'll struggle to find decent movies to watch.

This horse has been sufficiently beaten (PETA has been notified). But here goes again anyways.

1) Video quality varies from title to title. I've seen very good stuff (The Host) and very bad stuff (Toxic Avenger). It really depends on the encode, and of course watching it blown up on your large screen will no doubt diminish the quality.

2) Video selection is a matter of opinion. I have 81 movies in my instant queue (and that's after removing the stuff I can get on Blu-Ray or that I'd rather watch with surround sound). Depends on your tastes really. Selection is improving though...although admittedly slower than I'd like. For comparison's sake, I also have 389 movies in my regular physical-disc queue.

For me, I already had the 360 and NF account, so it's just another way to watch movies and it's affordable. It's a nice complement to my other sources (XBox Marketplace, physical discs, PSN, etc). I don't have Vudu or anything, just because I hate the crappy (IMO) pricing scheme.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 AM

I was wanting to know what the quality of Netflix Steaming is on highest quality setting on SD/HD both. I'm with some of you the quality is not the best but my kids could care less at what some have called sub par quality. I was watching the Ant Bully and it looked really good on my Sammy 50in plasma.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-20-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Read the rest of the thread. It really depends on the title, as it's kindof a mixed bag.

Most of the stuff I've watched has been acceptable on my 50" plasma. There have been a couple (2 or 3) movies that were just not acceptable at all, but all of them were old low-budget movies (Toxic Avenger for instance). I just watched Big Trouble in Little China yesterday though, and it looked decent enough.

Of course, some stuff looks really good as well, like the aforementioned The Host.

Right now I feel the quality varies too much from title to title to give a definitive "it all looks great" ruling though. However I do feel comfortable saying "95% of it is acceptable."

You just have to realize what you are getting....it's not Blu-Ray, and there's not day-and-date releases. I have ~80 in my instant queue now, but I don't keep any title that are surround-sound heavy or special-effects heavy that I probably want to watch on Blu-Ray.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM

we try to watch one for the first time and the qaulity was very poor. Not even egal to a DVD.

it may try it with my plasma. For on my projector with 106 wide screen. it is not acceptable for me.
I watch mostly BR this is may be why
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page