comcast cap and Netflix streaming - AVS Forum
Video Download Services & Hardware > comcast cap and Netflix streaming
tim100's Avatar tim100 03:11 PM 01-31-2009
I have comcast and they have a 250 gig per month cap. I have been streaming netflix in hd. How much streaming can I do of movies without going over the limit? I don't intend on streaming too much but read that if you go over they terminate your internet.

Everdog's Avatar Everdog 03:27 PM 01-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim100 View Post

I have comcast and they have a 250 gig per month cap. I have been streaming netflix in hd. How much streaming can I do of movies without going over the limit? I don't intend on streaming too much but read that if you go over they terminate your internet.

Terminate your internet? They say, "here, we don't want your dirty money?". I think you have to go way over or pass that limit several times in a row. Also, I bet each movie is only 5 - 10 GB.
bald's Avatar bald 03:59 PM 01-31-2009
If you go over the limit twice in 6 months I believe they terminate your service.

The HD netflix I believe is 3.8mbit. You can do the math depending on the length and number of movies you watch to determine your limit. I believe 3.8mbit is roughly 500kbyte/sec = 3600 megs for a 2 hour HD movie.

bald
tim100's Avatar tim100 08:02 AM 02-01-2009
Is there any way to monitor bandwidth usage for my xbox netflix streaming?
bald's Avatar bald 08:32 AM 02-01-2009
Supposedly comcast has a bandwidth meter in the works for its customers. This was rumored to come out on Jan 5th - but that didn't happen. Hoepfully it will come soon.

bald
kevivoe's Avatar kevivoe 08:01 AM 02-06-2009
I also have Comcast and they referred me to a McAfee tool that has a bandwidth meter. I was going to install it but it wanted to replace my current virus protection SW so I declined.

250GB (capital B = byte, which is 8 bits) is quite a bit of data. When you DL a movie you do not get previews and other extras, so I would guess you could calculate what one takes.

4 Mbps streaming service for 2 hours = [4e6 * 60 sec * 60 min * 2 hour] / 8 = 3.6 GB
20 Mbps DL to watch later would require 18 GB, 5x of 4 Mbps streaming.

No DL service offers movies @ 20 Mbps sustained bit rate .. but this is for future reference.

@ 3.6GB per movie you can do 69 movies or rather 65 movies and all the e-mails and surfing a teenager can handle.

@ 18GB per movie (future) you can do 12 movies a month and all the e-mails and surfing a teenager can handle.
kellman1980's Avatar kellman1980 05:39 PM 02-28-2010
I ditched Dish Network at the beginning of November and most of my TV Viewing is now through Netflix using the Xbox 360 or my Samsung BD-P1590. In December I Blew through my Comcast cap in a week and had a total usage of 900GB for the month. so I switched to the bottom tier business class plan they have which runs about 59.99 and is not metered for usage. I was paying 52.99 + 6 dollar modem rental when I had residential internet so it basically costs 3 dollars more for truly unlimited internet.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 05:51 PM 02-28-2010
^^^

900 GB a month????
mryerse's Avatar mryerse 08:20 PM 02-28-2010
They contacted me once after 750GB of usage but I can tell you it had little to do with netflix streaming. That would be hard to do unless it was running ALL the time.
mproper's Avatar mproper 09:52 AM 03-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

900 GB a month????

LOL...geez, I wonder what he was doing

I watch between 4 and 7 movies on Netflix a week (so anywhere from 15-25 movies per month, usually). That would be a mix of HD and SD material. I have never hit the limit as far as I know. At least Comcast has never notified me.

That's on top of online gaming, normal internet usage, streaming Last.fm or Pandora, etc, Hulu through PlayOn, downloading pretty much every demo on PSN or XBOX live that I can, my wife spending about 8 hours a day on Farmville, etc.

I have never found a way to monitor my bandwidth since my internet goes into my router then out to my XBOX/PS3/Wii/DirectTV/Computer. The only stuff I have found monitors it through my PC only, but not my router.
mryerse's Avatar mryerse 09:58 AM 03-01-2010
If you can get a firmware that supports netflow or rflow you should be able to get a good idea of how much bandwidth you're using. The router would just be a sensor and you'd need another system on the network to receive the flows and store them. It's a low demand monitoring system that works well. I think most of the after market firmwares people use support rflow such as DD-WRT. Netflow is only available on Cisco routers.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 12:15 PM 03-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

LOL...geez, I wonder what he was doing

i have a pretty good idea of what he was doing...

i'm guessing it's why the rest of us have to deal with drm...
mproper's Avatar mproper 12:57 PM 03-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i have a pretty good idea of what he was doing...

i'm guessing it's why the rest of us have to deal with drm...

and bandwidth caps.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 01:16 PM 03-01-2010
^^^

yup, that too...
Up
Mobile  Desktop