Beginning of the end? Study Says Blu-ray Can't Save Disc-Based Media - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about non-moving media storage, like thumb sticks (that's what I call 'em) aka USB storage devices. These would be ideal IMO. I'm tired of scratched discs, players that won't read discs, etc. I would like to see all media, movies, albums (or whatever they are called nowdays), put onto non-moving media.

As for the specific discussion, I have so far stayed away from streaming content. I will probably give netflix streaming a try, but I want my movies in highest quality possible, and thus far streaming does not offer it. I also don't like the pay as you watch sales model, since I want something in my hand for my money spent (or at least on my hard drive, useable whenever I want it to be). Should I decide to watch it again, I don't want to have to pay again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

IN 2012 the they are expecting $20B in discs and $3.5B in downloads. That is still better than a 5:1 ratio. What was it that Mark Twain said?

Downloads are growing faster than discs, but I am not worried about being able to buy a disc for the next 10 years. That being said I will be doing a combination of renting downloads and buying discs for the foreseeable future.

Speaking for myself, I refuse to pay for anything other than hard media. Period. Downloads need not apply. This applies to music and video.

That said, I don't really care if we move to something other than DVD/Blu-Ray, but I want a physical copy with perpetual usage rights, or my wallet stays shut.
post #33 of 38 Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not a bad idea in theory, but it would give us another format war. Also, I don't think flash drives are cheap enough to produce in the quantities that discs are produced in. Even if the difference is a dollar vs. fifty cents, they'll take the fifty-cent option. If you're talking about downloading movies to flash drives, then downloads are really the format and having them on a flash drive is just an option.
post #34 of 38 Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrius View Post

.....snip.....
As for the specific discussion, I have so far stayed away from streaming content. I will probably give netflix streaming a try, but I want my movies in highest quality possible, and thus far streaming does not offer it.

You really have got to rethink your opinion on this. Today there are 1465 HD/HDX movies in the Vudu Catalog vs. the BR catalog that just broke the 1,000 mark (includes a lot of "not a movie" items). Out of those 2 collections (BR vs. Vudu), there are only about 300 duplicates. That means there are over 1,110 movie titles for which the highest quality possible for the consumer is the Vudu HD/HDX version. Every month the gap gets bigger and BR falls farther behind in the overall HD catalog coverage department. We all agree that a good BR optical encode is the best option, but there are tons of movies that you will never get to see if you refuse to watch anything but BR. It's not an either/or decision, you can own a BR player and a Vudu - then you have the largest possible HD entertainment options.

Quote:
I also don't like the pay as you watch sales model, since I want something in my hand for my money spent (or at least on my hard drive, useable whenever I want it to be). Should I decide to watch it again, I don't want to have to pay again.

Starting tomorrow (Feb 24) the are offering purchase option on HD/HDX catalog titles from Vudu. There are about 50 in this first round. The studios are starting to budge on limiting HD downloads to "pay as you watch". I still think it will make sense to rent practically everything. Unless you watch a movie 5 times, it's almost always going to be easier on your wallet to rent.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #35 of 38 Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

Unless you watch a movie 5 times, it's almost always going to be easier on your wallet to rent.

The issue is that you may want to watch the movie 5 years from now, or 10, or 15.

How many of the online subscription services that were in place 5 years ago are still around? 10 years ago?

How many files do you still have from your computer from 5 years ago? 10 years ago? 15 years ago?

How much legacy data do you have that's on 5" or 3 1/2" floppies (or even mag tape)? Do you still have a way to read the data?

How much data do you have that was generated by a long-defunct application? How would you restore it?

Ever had a hard drive crash?

Everything I have on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-Ray is still watchable today. I have far less risk of losing the ability to use the product I paid for with a physical copy than I would with a download. It's just not something I'm willing to pay for.....ever.

I tried to tell my kids thisa few years ago, and they wouldn't listen. Of course, they ended up signing up and paying for one of Sony's music download programs; it has now gone out of business, and they no longer have access to the files. Thus, their money went into Sony's pocket and they have nothig to show for it. They learned their lesson, and now only buy music on CD.
post #36 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM View Post

Everything I have on VHS... is still watchable today.

Yeah, how often do you watch VHS tapes? Most people here replaced their VHS tapes with DVDs and now are replacing those with BDs.

How many people have stacks of DVDs that they have only watched once or are still unopened? I have 3 BDs that are still wrapped in plastic!

Some people like to "own" their movies, other like convience. Its nice to have choice.
post #37 of 38 Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be interesting to know how much of the studios current revenues come from hardcore collectors versus, casual collectors versus pure renters. There are probably not that many hardcore collectors, but each of them may buy 10x that casual collectors buy. I have to imagine that studios like Disney make a lot of money from casual purchasers as well.

I like to think of myself as somewhere in between casual and hardcore with about 450 DVDs and 150 HD discs. It is just against my DNA to pay $5 to rent a movie once. Sure I've done it on occasion, but I'm much more of a $1 a pop kinda guy via NetFlix or the Kiosks. Hollywood isn't going to make much money renting to me.
post #38 of 38 Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

Yeah, how often do you watch VHS tapes? Most people here replaced their VHS tapes with DVDs and now are replacing those with BDs.

How many people have stacks of DVDs that they have only watched once or are still unopened? I have 3 BDs that are still wrapped in plastic!

Some people like to "own" their movies, other like convience. Its nice to have choice.

Actually I have over a thousand DVDs in jukeboxes controlled by a fireball for just that reason, far easier to maintain than worring about hard drives.

Sailn...
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page