50 Mbps Comcast network to be 65% complete this year - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Less and less barriers to high quality video via VOD/streaming.

Quote:

Comcast began the rollout of its wideband DOCSIS 3.0 network in October last year, promising a 50Mbps "Extreme" tier for 10 million homes in the northeastern United States.

The goal for completing Comcast's "wideband" network remains 2010, which will then serve as a waypoint for further DOCSIS development. Yesterday, the company announced it will triple the network's size this year.

"Looking ahead," said Comcast CEO Steve Burke, "Our goal is to get our entire footprint up to 12 Mbps and to offer 50 to 100 Mbps in as many places as possible."

http://www.betanews.com/article/50_M...ear/1235154262
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wonder if the same bandwidth caps apply to this "extreme" tier. While Comcast (at least my plan) has 250GB cap, most other providers are putting in much lower caps, and I have to think Comcast will follow suit.

I would hazard a guess that we have about a year (maybe 2) before this bandwidth cap thing comes to a head, and then have to see where it goes from there. Hopefully there's a big pushback from studios, who want to see digital distribution take off, or deals will be worked out between ISPs and content providers.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-23-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I wonder if the same bandwidth caps apply to this "extreme" tier. While Comcast (at least my plan) has 250GB cap, most other providers are putting in much lower caps, and I have to think Comcast will follow suit.

I would hazard a guess that we have about a year (maybe 2) before this bandwidth cap thing comes to a head, and then have to see where it goes from there. Hopefully there's a big pushback from studios, who want to see digital distribution take off, or deals will be worked out between ISPs and content providers.

I think there will be government push-back... especially towards any ISP who takes stimulus money.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page