Roku update for Amazon VOD this week - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update is being rolled out this week adding Amazon Video on Demand to all Roku boxes.

http://www.switched.com/2009/03/03/a...n-roku-player/

Quote:
Amazon Video on Demand has been in private beta on the Roku Video Player for about a month now, but now everyone can stream rentals and purchases to their TVs. The free Roku update enabling the service will roll out this week, and once it's installed, you'll be able to browse, rent, and purchase any of Amazon's 40,000 movies and TV shows. The interface is an extension of the familiar Netflix interface, slightly re-jiggered for selecting content directly from the box instead of the web, and payments are authorized with a five-digit PIN so the kids can't go on crazy buying sprees. Not a bad little bump for the $99 box, but until Amazon gets HD and surround audio we don't know if it'll be enough to take on the competition. Full release after the break.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got my Roku box yesterday and did an update, but did not get the Amazon stuff. I'm still trying to figure out how this will work. From reading some stuff on Amazon it seems similar to Netflix in that you have to populate a queue via the web browser and then you can see the movies from the Roku.

Does anybody have direct experience with how this works?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

From the article it says you can browse movies directly from the box with no web browser needed.

Quote:
The interface is an extension of the familiar Netflix interface, slightly re-jiggered for selecting content directly from the box instead of the web, and payments are authorized with a five-digit PIN so the kids can't go on crazy buying sprees.

How It Works:
- Connect the Roku player to your TV and your broadband Internet connection (Wi-Fi is built in for ease of set-up)
- Browse Amazon Video On Demand's extensive selection right on your TV
- Rent or purchase and instantly watch any of more than 40,000 choices, including top new releases and the latest TV shows

post #4 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post

From the article it says you can browse movies directly from the box with no web browser needed.

Hopefully you can browse the entire collection and not just stuff that you put in your queue.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe it's me, but I don't get it. If you have netflix, why do you really want a service like Amazon?

Sailn...
post #6 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn View Post

Maybe it's me, but I don't get it. If you have netflix, why do you really want a service like Amazon?

Maybe new releases on demand? I think that for most people it will be one or the other though.

I personally have little interest at this point, since I already have the Roku box with Netflix and Apple TV. I'm just wondering if there is something else that I am missing. There are no additional "start-up costs" since I already have the Roku player.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM

The email I received from Roku today announcing the Amazon VOD upgrade included the following sentence "This is just the first of many exciting new additions coming to your Roku digital video player in 2009." So what is next for Roku? Hulu? Other?
post #8 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1597 View Post

The email I received from Roku today announcing the Amazon VOD upgrade included the following sentence "This is just the first of many exciting new additions coming to your Roku digital video player in 2009." So what is next for Roku? Hulu? Other?

I got the update last night. You are able to browse all the movies/tv shows directly from the box, no PC needed. I'm really hoping Hulu is next. That would certainly make this box worth more then $99 IMO.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

+1 for hulu.

What I would really LOVE to see is a user configurable interface that would allow you to put multiple websites ( hulu, scifi, abc, nbc, etc ). I can always dream

Sailn...
post #10 of 17 Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:

+1 for hulu.

What I would really LOVE to see is a user configurable interface that would allow you to put multiple websites ( hulu, scifi, abc, nbc, etc ). I can always dream

That would definitely be pretty sweet [IMG]http://************************************/img/2464/i09b0128lrvx/smile.gif[/IMG]
post #11 of 17 Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

In case anyone was wondering, you can force the update rather than waiting for it to be automatically delivered. Go into your Roku settings and click on check for update. Amazon is claiming over 40,000 titles but the interface is awkward. The genres are too broad and there is no search function, so you just have to scroll through the listings until your thumb goes numb.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like Sirius/XM could be next. Was hoping for more video content. If you have to have an account for it to work then it will be useless for me but I'm sure some will enjoy it. I had Sirius a couple of years ago in my car but canceled because I didn't use it enough to justify the cost.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/si...adio.html#more

Quote:

Now rumors are growing that more Internet-based services are currently in the works, including word that satellite radio could be available as a native service in the Roku (pictured above).

post #13 of 17 Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAG View Post

In case anyone was wondering, you can force the update rather than waiting for it to be automatically delivered. Go into your Roku settings and click on check for update. Amazon is claiming over 40,000 titles but the interface is awkward. The genres are too broad and there is no search function, so you just have to scroll through the listings until your thumb goes numb.

I tried that last night and when I tried to up[date, I was informed that there was none available.

I have xm and used to have xm online. It was fine for casual listening at the office, but quite frankly, the sound quality wasn't that good. IMHO, you can do better with the free version of slacker.com

Sailn...
post #14 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I tried that last night and when I tried to up[date, I was informed that there was none available...

The key is persistance. If you have the time available and are desparate to get the update, then keep trying, eventually you will succeed in downloading the update. I speak from experience, however that was a couple of days ago and we just watched an Amazon rental last night... looks very good. Thank you Roku for giving us the option... keep 'em coming...

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #15 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got the update. The browsing interface is streamlined. You browse by genre and this is very slow. It is really hard to find movies. I have about a 6Mbps connection with Comcast, so network nadwidth is not the issue. The playback interface is almost identical to Netflix. The registration is also very similar to Netflix.

The only thing I've watched so far is the a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit video and that was because it was a "free rental." The image is very soft -- not even close to DVD quality. I can't imagine paying what Amazon are asking if all the stuff is that soft. The Netflix HD programs are much better. Also, since I have an Apple TV with pretty good new selection in HD I just can't imagine renting from Amazon with what they have right now.

I'm sure there are lots of other Netflix customers who don't have HDTVs that will reall y dig the option to rent a wide selection of SD quality Amazon movies.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We have nothing but HDTVs here (1080p) and even a 97" front projector (Sony VW60) in a basement theater. The Amazon movie we watched last night (on a 46" Samsung) was easily as good a video quality as any Netflix SD with "four dots" and only a smidgeon less than a Netflix HD. Only really picky individuals with 'calibrated eyeballs' would be disappointed with the Roku. BTW, we get better than 5Mbps consistently (ATT DSL). So the bottomline is... if you are fine with Netflix SD, you will certainly be okay with Amazon's SD.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #17 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

OK...I have TOTALLY changed my mind. The 2009 SI swim suit show is available...and it is FREE! I was quite impressed by the subject matter, the video quality...not so much...

Sailn...
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page