Apple TV vs DVD playback? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have transfered some DVD's using handbrake and the Appletv preset.
On the macbook the Atv files look very good- no different than the DVD on the macbook. Then I sent the file to the Atv and played down on a 50inch Pioneer.
I compared the playback through the Atv to the DVD and the image off the Atv looks soft and has dull color. It lacks the pop of the DVD.

I then transfered the DVD using PS3 setting and played it through my PS3 hooked to the Plasma. It looks great.

(I tried raising the CQ setting to 63% with Appletv setting. It did nothing. The file looks no different.)

It seems Atv is the weak link here. I would really prefer to use Atv over the PS3.
Is anyone finding this similar poor quality? How do you deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

I have transfered some DVD's using handbrake and the Appletv preset.
On the macbook the Atv files look very good- no different than the DVD on the macbook. Then I sent the file to the Atv and played down on a 50inch Pioneer.
I compared the playback through the Atv to the DVD and the image off the Atv looks soft and has dull color. It lacks the pop of the DVD.

I then transfered the DVD using PS3 setting and played it through my PS3 hooked to the Plasma. It looks great.

(I tried raising the CQ setting to 63% with Appletv setting. It did nothing. The file looks no different.)

It seems Atv is the weak link here. I would really prefer to use Atv over the PS3.
Is anyone finding this similar poor quality? How do you deal with it?

This doesn't make sense based on my experience. I would make sure that there is not a problem with the connection or calibration of the different inputs. What are the connections and resolution settings for each player?
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know. It shouldn't.
The settings on the inputs are the same. I tried all resolutions on the Atv.
And in fact, I switched the Appltv into the DVD input and it still looked like a generation away from the original.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

I know. It shouldn't.
The settings on the inputs are the same. I tried all resolutions on the Atv.
And in fact, I switched the Appltv into the DVD input and it still looked like a generation away from the original.

Well, at the 2500 bps setting I would imagine there will be noticeable differences between the Apple TV and the DVD. I usually increase the bit rate and use the 2-pass encoding. I'm mostly surprised that the PS3 looks better. I have never tried playing ATV files on the PS3, but I found the quality of AVI files with same bit rate to be be very similar to the ATV. You may also want to check multiple titles -- some look much better than others when encoded.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page