Netflix gives queue dates for digital titles - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Netflix is starting to let its customers know when digital versions of DVDs they're ordering will be available for video streaming.

The largest U.S. movie-rental service via mail has added to user queues an "Instant" column with dates indicating when a particular title can be streamed, blog HackingNetflix.com reported today.

Netflix is looking to lure more customers to its video-streaming business as the company expands its digital delivery and more people buy electronic components that can transmit digital titles to televisions from the Internet. Netflix, which doesn't charge extra for streaming movies, carries a digital inventory of more 12,000 titles, compared to its more than 100,000 DVD titles.

The Wall Street Journal, in an article published yesterday, estimated that about 20% of Netflix's more than 10 million subscribers stream titles, though Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey said the company doesn't disclose such figures, pegging the amount in the "millions."

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6667269.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

very cool.... and a smart move. Im going to use this service quite a bit.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I just wish they'd indicate more clearly if a title was available for streaming in HD. Often I don't know until I visit my queue on the Roku, as even when browsing the "HD" genre by title I don't find certain movies/shows that end up being HD.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The Wall Street Journal, in an article published yesterday, estimated that about 20% of Netflix's more than 10 million subscribers stream titles, though Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey said the company doesn't disclose such figures, pegging the amount in the "millions."

I'm not sure why, if the figures are so great, they don't publish them. Could they be so bad they're afraid to publish them with so much riding on the streaming model. Possible. Probable.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very nice...this will help me organize my queue a bit (although I agree I'd rather know which ones are in HD)

Just glancing through my queue, and see:
The Machine Girl (Coming Soon)
Step Brothers (Coming Soon)
Baghead (7/3)
The Wackness (Coming Soon)
Miracle At St Anna (7/3)
Red Mist (Coming Soon)
Momma's Man (7/7)
Pineapple Express (7/10)

Not too shabby, and there's some newer releases in there that I just haven't got to. Hopefully they'll be in HD. I'll have to check it out, but i have noticed most of the newer stuff seems to be.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a pet peeve of mine. Aren't all DVDs "digital?"
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM

I think that is true
post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

I'm not sure why, if the figures are so great, they don't publish them. Could they be so bad they're afraid to publish them with so much riding on the streaming model. Possible. Probable.

Much is riding on the streaming model because it has propelled them beyond all estimates since being integrated into the XBox 360.

Netflix said millions (plural). That means that the WSJ estimate of 20% of their customers is on the low end of the actual usage rate.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-26-2009, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

Much is riding on the streaming model because it has propelled them beyond all estimates since being integrated into the XBox 360.

Netflix said millions (plural). That means that the WSJ estimate of 20% of their customers is on the low end of the actual usage rate.

20% of 10 mil is 2mil which is "plural" and we know how folks tend to round up. WSJ may have overestimated otherwise the logical response from NF would have been "No, it's closer to (3 mil, 4mil, 5 mil).

Something can be huge but still below expectations and the response would be something like "we don't disclose those figures" even though they are a publicly traded company with shareholders.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

20% of 10 mil is 2mil which is "plural" and we know how folks tend to round up. WSJ may have overestimated otherwise the logical response from NF would have been "No, it's closer to (3 mil, 4mil, 5 mil).

Something can be huge but still below expectations and the response would be something like "we don't disclose those figures" even though they are a publicly traded company with shareholders.

I don't think you understand that publically traded companies do not disclose detailed information on sales and customers for competitive reasons. Generally market leaders are the least likely to release this data.

In this case they decided to confirm that the WSJ number was at least correct on the low end, without disclosing anything more specific. A very smart tactic.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page