Sonic, Zip.ca join for Canadian download service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Sonic Solutions is partnering with Canada's leading DVD-by-mail rental company, Zip.ca, to deliver its Roxio CinemaNow digital movie service to the great white north, the companies announced today.

Zip.ca will introduce the digital movie service to customers by the end of the year, offering movie and TV show downloads both on its Web site and embedded in consumer electronics devices.

The companies will announce later what movie and TV content will be available on the service. Although Roxio CinemaNow has deals in the U.S. with every major studio, to deliver content, it must negotiate new deals for the Canadian market.

Zip.ca is exploring both a la carte rentals and purchases and a subscription model for what will be the first large-scale movie download service in Canada.

We are already Canada's leading DVD rental service. Now we hope to fuel membership and growth by becoming consumers' destination for seamless digital movie accessa one-stop Entertainment shop, Zip.ca CEO Curt Millar said in a statement announcing the partnership.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6667597.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering the fact that we are capped here (most people have 20/10 cap) I don't know how successful they'll be. At 7$ a gig overcharge it's more economical to either rent the disc or buy it outright.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps the Canadian citizens will take action to have the caps removed, or at least have reasonable caps. The action against Time Warner in the US was swift and resulted in them quickly shelving their plans to test caps here.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

Perhaps the Canadian citizens will take action to have the caps removed, or at least have reasonable caps. The action against Time Warner in the US was swift and resulted in them quickly shelving their plans to test caps here.

Canada isn't the USA. And it has been tried, it even got to the supreme court and the cap will stay. They even have the right to traffic shape if they want. This is one of the by product of media convergence.

There is only 4 major player in Canada. Bell, Rogers, Videotron and Shaw and they all cap. All other players are renting their line from those four. And this isn't just a Canadian situation. Look at the European market or Australia.

But I already said all this to you in the past.

Oh, and by the way they haven't really shelved anything on your side of the border. Time Warner is still planning some form of capping in the future and other are considering it.

I hope you'll be spare but I wouldn't bet on it in the long run.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and another thing, I'm a member of Zip.ca and if you go in their forum the news isn't all that well received. Quite a few won't accept a raise in their disc rental fee for a service that they will never use. Othere are complaining that the deal is only open to Windows user since the client doesn't work on Mac.

So lets wait and see before we open the champagne...
post #6 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

It is unfortunate that you do not share the same options we have in the US. I don't think low caps will fly here, especially considering how easy it is to organize via social media.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it's good for you that you have the 2nd amendment and all... Here we may scream, pout, protest or do anything but they control the court, the money and the gun...
post #8 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

Well it's good for you that you have the 2nd amendment and all... Here we may scream, pout, protest or do anything but they control the court, the money and the gun...

Umm.... OK.

I can't think of the last time a bill was introduced in the US under threat of citizen violent uprising. I will say that your post does sound like there is a larger sense of disenfranchisement in Canada then I was aware of. I am truly sorry if you feel the citizens are not being served on something as fundamentally critical as telecommunication.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Increasingly, consumers are looking to access and enjoy movies via their connected entertainment devices, said Alex Carloss, EVP of digital distribution, Paramount Digital Entertainment.

In addition, Sonic has partnered with Canadian DVD-by-mail service Zip.ca to offer the Roxio CinemaNow service online to Zip.ca subscribers in that country.

We are already Canada's leading DVD rental service. Now we hope to fuel membership and growth by becoming consumers' destination for seamless digital movie access a one-stop Entertainment shop, said Zip.ca CEO Curt Millar.

Currently Zip.ca has 72,000 DVD titles available for its mail service.

Entering new markets is another part of our strategy to make anytime, anywhere access to a broad variety of premium entertainment a reality for more consumers, said Mark Ely, EVP of strategy for Sonic Solutions. Zip.ca's reach and leadership in the market will help make this happen in a more timely fashion.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/cin...-service-16187
post #10 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Umm.... OK.

I can't think of the last time a bill was introduced in the US under threat of citizen violent uprising. I will say that your post does sound like there is a larger sense of disenfranchisement in Canada then I was aware of. I am truly sorry if you feel the citizens are not being served on something as fundamentally critical as telecommunication.

You hear that wooshing sound... That was sarcasm going over your head at a really fast speed.

The thing is the ISP here are private entity using their private ressources and they are complying with the CRTC guideline while doing so. So, since they don't go against those guideline the CRTC doesn't have anything to say in how they administer their services.

Until the gov start their own internet service they don't have a say on how the isp here manage their business.

Access to communication != Download everything you want (legaly or not) whenever you want. I think that would be simple enough to understand.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You hear that wooshing sound... That was sarcasm going over your head at a really fast speed.

The thing is the ISP here are private entity using their private ressources and they are complying with the CRTC guideline while doing so. So, since they don't go against those guideline the CRTC doesn't have anything to say in how they administer their services.

Until the gov start their own internet service they don't have a say on how the isp here manage their business.

Access to communication != Download everything you want (legaly or not) whenever you want. I think that would be simple enough to understand.

Ummm.. OK... again.

To me you still sound like someone disenfranchised and powerless. That clarifies why there is such a lack of understanding between us since being powerless is simply not where I choose to live.

Anyway... feel free to keep on posting excuses if you wish. Just don't expect me to accept them as anything like a permanent barrier.

And yes, I do think that Access to communication = download/access whatever is published. Anything else is a form of control and censorship.

I personally choose to get my content through legal channels and respect the rights of content owners. I just believe that it is in their best interest to provide consumers good options at price points that will serve both them and their customers.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ummm.. OK... again.

To me you still sound like someone disenfranchised and powerless. That clarifies why there is such a lack of understanding between us since being powerless is simply not where I choose to live.

Anyway... feel free to keep on posting excuses if you wish. Just don't expect me to accept them as anything like a permanent barrier.

And yes, I do think that Access to communication = download/access whatever is published. Anything else is a form of control and censorship.

I personally choose to get my content through legal channels and respect the rights of content owners. I just believe that it is in their best interest to provide consumers good options at price points that will serve both them and their customers.

LOL... Sure. Ok that is it sir. I'll make a point in the future to not post in your thread since I prefer to deal with reality than with some imaginary world. Maybe you should put the remote down and travel a little maybe you'll be more in a position to criticise other nations then.

Oh and by the way, since this is my last post in one of your thread, you are probably the worst kind of person a new technology can get as a communication officer. You are doing more damage with this poor "know it all" attitude and those silly "cut and paste of the same article ad nauseam" come back then they could possibly do by themselves.

You are the John C. Dvorak of the streaming industry.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LOL... Sure. Ok that is it sir. I'll make a point in the future to not post in your thread since I prefer to deal with reality than with some imaginary world. Maybe you should put the remote down and travel a little maybe you'll be more in a position to criticise other nations then.

Oh and by the way, since this is my last post in one of your thread, you are probably the worst kind of person a new technology can get as a communication officer. You are doing more damage with this poor "know it all" attitude and those silly "cut and paste of the same article ad nauseam" come back then they could possibly do by themselves.

You are the John C. Dvorak of the streaming industry.

I have traveled well, and in fact provide technical support and social media consulting to a humanitarian organization that focuses on setting up travel for citizen journalism. I also happen to have run a marathon, a half marathon and done a century ride in the last 18 months, so I spend plenty of time away from the remote.

Because of my travels, I know the world is not a static place. If you look, listen and learn you can see the specific trends of change. In the case of media, the trend is towards broader and more open distribution. This is true for individual created content and content created by corporations. Even features like Digital Copy and Managed Copy are pointing in this direction. Seeing every major television broadcaster support at least one online distribution method, including having the majority of their "prime time" content online is another major sign.

I am not criticizing yours or any other nation. I am saying that the growth and change are happening whether you see it or not. That is a positive commentary on your country.

And just for the record... the reason I post the stories I do is because each one breaks down a specific argument that I have heard from the naysayers. If you have not noticed, it has done it's job well as it is hard to enter a forum and make a declaration of FUD when there are half a dozen stories from varying sources that counter an argument before it is even made.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page