CBS.com, TV.com to Stream Jackson Memorial - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if this will beat the inauguration numbers?

Quote:

CBS Corp. is rolling out the electronic carpet for Michael Jackson's memorial July 7 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The live stream of the star-studded event can be seen at 10 a.m. PST for free on CBSNews.com, CBS.com, TV.com, TheInsider.com, in addition to CBS stations and affiliates.

CBS Mobile will also offer live streams on Verizon Communication's VCast TV, ATT TV via Media Flo and on Sprint TV via Mobi TV.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/str...memorial-16270
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I just found out we're streamingthe event in live 720p:

http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/Michae...-7th-10am-PDT/

Just got some news: tomorrow's

Michael Jackson memorial is going to be broadcast live in 720p Smooth Streaming by Sympatico / MSN inMusic. The feed is originating from Canada, but is not georestricted! I think this is the first globally available Live HD Smooth Streaming event.

The event kicks off at 10am Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -8). It will hopefully be up as on-demand for 24 hours after, but we're still confirming the rights for that.

Digital Media Technology Insider with Microsoft

My compression blog
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Ill give it a look..... not because Im interested in the funeral but to see what streaming 720p looks like.

I think its pretty obvious where this is going (with silverlight being added to the 360 for the zune video stuff and skylive tv happening this fall). I think ms has a very real chance to do something really special and create a hybrid tv service (on demand shows like you have now and add live hd sports to the mix) and we could all really cancel cable.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn impressive ben..... gotta admit for a 2mbit feed it looks outstanding. Cant wait until I can watch my college football games like that on my xbox.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Did not hit inauguration numbers...

Quote:
More than 10 million stream Jackson memorial - Audience falls short of Obama inauguration

More than 10 million people tuned in Tuesday to the handful of Web sites live-streaming Michael Jackson's funeral.

Although the numbers are still preliminary, so far they don't match the 13.9 million viewers who tuned in to watch President Barack Obama's inauguration live online on CNN through Facebook in January.

Facebook said nearly 1 million of its users tuned in to watch the live Jackson memorial service coverage from CNN, E! Online, MTV or ABC News, all of which streamed through the social-networking site. Meanwhile, another 3 million viewers tuned into MSNBC.com for live coverage, while Ustream said it delivered 4.6 million streams worldwide, according to PaidContent.org.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Still a big day...

Quote:

An Akamai press release proclaims that yesterday's Michael Jackson Memorial service marked the second largest day ever (behind only the Obama inauguration) in terms of total traffic on the Akamai network, the company doling out 2,185,000 live and on-demand streams in Flash and Windows Media formats. "Total traffic on the Akamai network surpassed a rate of more than 2 terabits per second during the memorial service," says the company -- which points to a real time graphical view of streaming across the Akamai network. For those interested, Akamai's frequent State of the Internet reports make for good reading, and offer insight into global broadband speeds and trends.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/J...Net-Use-103337
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page