EU Telco Chief: Business Model Failure Leads To Piracy... Not The Other Way Around - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 07-11-2009, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ya think?

I am not sure if it is for politicians to decide, but businesses should realize that they need to satisfy customer demands.

Quote:


Could it be that some politicians are actually figuring this out? Reader Arhac alerts us to the news that the EU's telecommunications chief, Viviane Reding, gave a speech where she noted that it wasn't "piracy" that was destroying the recording industry's business model, but it was the failed business model that was leading to "piracy":

"In my view, growing internet piracy is a vote of no-confidence in existing business models and legal solutions. It should be a wake-up call for policy-makers."

Quote:


Still, given where things are in the US, it's impressive enough to find multiple politicians who aren't just buying the major record labels' story that it's "piracy" that's killing their business models, rather than the other way around.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...54415513.shtml
PSound is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Better coverage:

Quote:


On the one hand many copyright holders are virtually unmovable, steadfast in their belief that file-sharers are little more than thieves, undermining their livelihoods and stealing bread from their children's mouths. The firm belief that they are dealing with criminals explains the draconian policies of the music and movie industry, they say.

On the other hand are millions upon millions of Internet users, desperate for their media fix in the most convenient forms, with as few restrictions as possible.

Quote:


Explaining that her number one priority is to make access to digital media easier and more attractive, Reding said this would drive the take-up of high speed Internet in Europe. However, the fact that both sides are reluctant to see the world from the perspective of the other, progress is being held back.

While many right holders insist that every unauthorised download from the Internet is a violation of intellectual property rights and therefore illegal or even criminal, others stress that access to the Internet is a crucial fundamental right, Reding explained.

Let me be clear on this: Both sides are right. The drama is that after long and often fruitless battles, both camps have now dug themselves in their positions, without any signs of opening from either side.

Quote:


It is necessary to penalize those who are breaking the law. But are there really enough attractive and consumer-friendly legal offers on the market? she mused, hitting on one of the biggest complaints from media consumers.

Highlighting the perceived gap between 'suits' and citizens, Reding questioned if the current legal system for dealing with copyright meets the expectations of the younger, more tech-savvy Internet generation;

Have we considered all alternative options to repression? Have we really looked at the issue through the eyes of a 16 year old? Or only from the perspective of law professors who grew up in the Gutenberg Age? In my view, growing Internet piracy is a vote of no-confidence in existing business models and legal solutions. It should be a wake-up call for policy-makers.

Quote:


In the end, people will have to talk. When all is said and done, legal action and disconnections will not solve this mess. Scaring people into becoming a customer is not a sustainable business model. In the end - just like flowing water - people will find the easiest route to the destination they require. It is up to the entertainment companies to ensure that the route Internet users take to media is via their door, and not to that of the nearest torrent site.

http://torrentfreak.com/eu-commissio...s-sexy-090710/
PSound is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EU Telco Chief: Business Model Failure Leads To Piracy... Not The Other Way Around

"I am great fan of Tv series such as heroes, entourage, weeds and so on. I wonder how much is the rent per episode. There are many torrent sites like bwtorrents, torrentz and sumotorrent why to pay when i can see them for free. Is it have dvd quality view?"

Seems these host sites then charge millions to legit companies to purchase and convert to legal sites...

So yes it is a business model problem...

File sharing sites create the "illegal" model, give a sense of entitlement to the user and then make millions off the deal by selling it to legit companies. The user , quite content to get it for free then has no interest in a pay per view or subscription plan. The company who bought has no way to make it pay because of the users attitude and new torrent sites which spring up.
Frankensteins all around...
fpconvert is offline  
post #4 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Bozster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I completely agree. their bad business models lead to piracy.

Let's look at it from an honest consumer's perspective. They have no problems paying for shows per view or even downloading whole seasons but the way business model is set up you don't get shows and episodes in a timely manner that leads to searching on torrent sites for the latest show or movie or song.

For example, last year/this year - can't remember, I was watching Dexter as I'm a huge fan. I buy most of the shows and episodes online (be it iTunes or Xbox 360) as it's just easier and convenient (I don't mind paying a $1 or $2) and Dexter was nowhere to be found. Same with The Big Bang Theory.

I got to iTunes, I go to Xbox 360, I go to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and similar and was unable to find anywhere a legal download of the show.

Finally I had to cave in and found the show somewhere online. It was horrible quality and not a great experience and it was from a questionable source (some website that streams them).

That's where they business model is flawed. You can say that it's very similar with music as well.

So it's not us (consumers) who are to blame for looking at illegal sources but the actual content producers who have this stupid idea that if they offer you the show to watch right after it aired or at worst by tomorrow for a price will hurt their bottom line.

Well I'm guessing it will because they are still living in TV age and can't accept the fact that people are multi-tasking and using internet more and more for their content and instead of switching their technology and looking at the inevitable they are trying to block it as much as they can, which leads to piracy.

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
Bozster is offline  
post #5 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is really simple. There is an avid, and growing part of the consumer population who enjoy watching their content via streaming.

The content companies can provide access to that and setup a revenue stream (either ad-based or subscription). If not, the content will exist on the internet anyway and they will not be part of the revenue stream.

Fortunately each and every content owner understands this. That is why sites like Hulu are owned and operated by 3 of the 4 major networks.
PSound is offline  
post #6 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozster View Post

I completely agree. their bad business models lead to piracy.

Let's look at it from an honest consumer's perspective. They have no problems paying for shows per view or even downloading whole seasons but the way business model is set up you don't get shows and episodes in a timely manner that leads to searching on torrent sites for the latest show or movie or song.

For example, last year/this year - can't remember, I was watching Dexter as I'm a huge fan. I buy most of the shows and episodes online (be it iTunes or Xbox 360) as it's just easier and convenient (I don't mind paying a $1 or $2) and Dexter was nowhere to be found. Same with The Big Bang Theory.

I got to iTunes, I go to Xbox 360, I go to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and similar and was unable to find anywhere a legal download of the show.

Finally I had to cave in and found the show somewhere online. It was horrible quality and not a great experience and it was from a questionable source (some website that streams them).

That's where they business model is flawed. You can say that it's very similar with music as well.

So it's not us (consumers) who are to blame for looking at illegal sources but the actual content producers who have this stupid idea that if they offer you the show to watch right after it aired or at worst by tomorrow for a price will hurt their bottom line.

Well I'm guessing it will because they are still living in TV age and can't accept the fact that people are multi-tasking and using internet more and more for their content and instead of switching their technology and looking at the inevitable they are trying to block it as much as they can, which leads to piracy.

You actually do not agree with me.

You in fact blame the the victim of the crime, the content owner, for the theft of intellectual property.
How is it the content owners problem that you can't schedule your time to view a program when it is presented or in subsequent re-runs or to purchase when available?

You let the consumer off with a pass because the content owner was "asking for it".

You let the file sharing site off the hook who made you complicit in their crimes.

Because something is not "bolted down" does not justify someone walking away with it.
fpconvert is offline  
post #7 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

You actually do not agree with me.

You in fact blame the the victim of the crime, the content owner, for the theft of intellectual property.
How is it the content owners problem that you can't schedule your time to view a program when it is presented or in subsequent re-runs or to purchase when available?

You let the consumer off with a pass because the content owner was "asking for it".

You let the file sharing site off the hook who made you complicit in their crimes.

Because something is not "bolted down" does not justify someone walking away with it.

It is not about letting someone off with a free pass. It is about the fact that how users consume their content is changing. Content owners can choose to offer a legit (and revenue generating) option... or not. Not offering an option means the ONLY way to stream/download that content is via sites that will not send revenue to th content owners. Not a wise business decision... and yes, a business model that ultimately increases piracy.

Exceedingly obvious.
PSound is offline  
post #8 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hopefully some companies are catching on. A couple things I've noticed recently (like really recently).
  • ABC is finally putting their stuff on Hulu (in a timely manner, no less)
  • I missed Saturday's Harper's Island (storm knocked out my DirecTv). The next episode was up by 1:00 Sunday on both CBS.com and Netflix Watch Instantly (I watched it on Netflix through my XBOX).

Now, the problem was I could have easily downloaded the episode 5 minutes after it aired from a torrent site, but still....it was up within 15-16 hours for me to watch legally (which to me is acceptable because I DVR everything anyways, and it's usually >24 hours before I get around to watching them).

I have done similar things with other TV episodes over the last year or so....I can usually find a legal version to watch on Hulu or CBS.com or ABC.com or Netflix WI in a somewhat timely manner...although this is the first time I've used Netflix WI to catch a missed episode, as I'm not sure any other series puts their eps there so quickly and was surprised Harper's Island did. I'll have to check other series. It was nice because there were no snipes or station logos/bugs on the screen, and commercial free too.

It's when I can't find the episode legally that I choose to resort to the "other" solution, but honestly, I haven't had to do that for a LOOOOONG time now (I'm guessing a year or more).

It should also be mentioned that my legal solutions above are FREE! Well, free in the sense that Hulu/ABC.com/CBS.com don't cost anything, and I already have Netflix. You could probably find them legally on iTunes or PSN or XBOX Marketplace as well for a small fee. I did pay a $30 one-time fee for PlayOn in order to stream Hulu over to my TV though. But still I consider it "free" and a lot less hassle (and infinitely more risk-free) than the "other" solution.
mproper is offline  
post #9 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They do offer options...just not the way some want it...free...w/o strings...right now.
fpconvert is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

They do offer options...just not the way some want it...free...w/o strings...right now.

I don't think the "free" is the issue. The "w/o strings" IS an issue.

The restrictions on material "purchased" is too tight, particularly when there are options to obtain the material without restriction.

A permanent, DRM-free download would be ideal. Then you could host it in your own home and stream it to devices on demand. The technology is here today. Now the content owners just have to be bold enough to move forward before the illegal models become the standard.
PSound is offline  
post #11 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My apologies about my post above....misread and thought they were talking about movie/tv downloads, and not music, as it appears they are talking about.

Don't mind me.
mproper is offline  
post #12 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

You actually do not agree with me.

You in fact blame the the victim of the crime, the content owner, for the theft of intellectual property.
How is it the content owners problem that you can't schedule your time to view a program when it is presented or in subsequent re-runs or to purchase when available?

You let the consumer off with a pass because the content owner was "asking for it".

You let the file sharing site off the hook who made you complicit in their crimes.

Because something is not "bolted down" does not justify someone walking away with it.

bingo...

saying "well i can steal it for free, so their business model of selling it is flawed" isn't exactly a strong argument...

fact of the matter is, 95% of the population doesn't have a problem following the "rules", and to be honest, really has no problem with the "rules"... the other 5%, otoh, seems to have a sense of entitlement along the lines of "i can have anything i want for free whenever i want it"...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can spin it anyway you want...theft is theft...it can not be justified under any circumstances.

If you don't like how content owners allow use, you could create your own content and do whatever you wish with it.
fpconvert is offline  
post #14 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shrug.

This is ultimately a business decision. The studios and broadcasters (and their supporters) can sit on a soapbox and talk all day about how they are right... while a potential revenue stream walks right by ignoring their righteousness.

People are willing to pay for quality and convenience in a delivery method that works for them.
PSound is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

Shrug.

This is ultimately a business decision. The studios and broadcasters (and their supporters) can sit on a soapbox and talk all day about how they are right... while a potential revenue stream walks right by ignoring their righteousness.

People are willing to pay for quality and convenience in a delivery method that works for them.

Most will, as allowed by the owner, for them, options are available...some won't...and should be treated accordingly.

Common thiefs can proclaim their denial of inalienable rights to do whatever, whenever, all day long...it doesn't change the crime now does it.
fpconvert is offline  
post #16 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

Most will, as allowed by the owner, for them, options are available...some won't...and should be treated accordingly.

Common thiefs can proclaim their denial of inalienable rights to do whatever, whenever, all day long...it doesn't change the crime now does it.

I don't know what you are arguing about. No one else is making any moral or legal arguments.

This is about content owners and how they can build a business model around customer wants and behaviors. Even the EU Telco Chief can see that their current course of action is not serving them best.
PSound is offline  
post #17 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

I don't know what you are arguing about. No one else is making any moral or legal arguments.

This is about content owners and how they can build a business model around customer wants and behaviors. Even the EU Telco Chief can see that their current course of action is not serving them best.

EU Telco Chief: Business Model Failure Leads To Piracy... Not The Other Way Around

"I am great fan of Tv series such as heroes, entourage, weeds and so on. I wonder how much is the rent per episode. There are many torrent sites like bwtorrents, torrentz and sumotorrent why to pay when i can see them for free. Is it have dvd quality view?"

Seems these host sites then charge millions to legit companies to purchase and convert to legal sites...

So yes it is a business model problem...

File sharing sites create the "illegal" model, give a sense of entitlement to the user and then make millions off the deal by selling it to legit companies. The user , quite content to get it for free then has no interest in a pay per view or subscription plan. The company who bought has no way to make it pay because of the users attitude and new torrent sites which spring up.
Frankensteins all around...
fpconvert is offline  
post #18 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

EU Telco Chief: Business Model Failure Leads To Piracy... Not The Other Way Around

"I am great fan of Tv series such as heroes, entourage, weeds and so on. I wonder how much is the rent per episode. There are many torrent sites like bwtorrents, torrentz and sumotorrent why to pay when i can see them for free. Is it have dvd quality view?"

Seems these host sites then charge millions to legit companies to purchase and convert to legal sites...

So yes it is a business model problem...

File sharing sites create the "illegal" model, give a sense of entitlement to the user and then make millions off the deal by selling it to legit companies. The user , quite content to get it for free then has no interest in a pay per view or subscription plan. The company who bought has no way to make it pay because of the users attitude and new torrent sites which spring up.
Frankensteins all around...

No wonder companies like Hulu, Netflix and Vudu are not growing... oh wait.
PSound is offline  
post #19 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"No wonder companies like Hulu, Netflix and Vudu are not growing... oh wait."

So I guess the EU Telco Chief is late to the party, a little confused and everything is fine now...all the torrent sites can close....

Oh...there is this guy:

"I am great fan of Tv series such as heroes, entourage, weeds and so on. I wonder how much is the rent per episode. There are many torrent sites like bwtorrents, torrentz and sumotorrent why to pay when i can see them for free. Is it have dvd quality view?"

Perhaps Ms. Reding can phone him up and let him know the good news.
fpconvert is offline  
post #20 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

"No wonder companies like Hulu, Netflix and Vudu are not growing... oh wait."

So I guess the EU Telco Chief is late to the party, a little confused and everything is fine now...all the torrent sites can close....

Oh...there is this guy:

"I am great fan of Tv series such as heroes, entourage, weeds and so on. I wonder how much is the rent per episode. There are many torrent sites like bwtorrents, torrentz and sumotorrent why to pay when i can see them for free. Is it have dvd quality view?"

Perhaps Ms. Reding can phone him up and let him know the good news.

The EU Telco Chief is right on the money. Give consumers good content delivered the way they want and it works for consumers AND content owners. Denying them access and then wondering why people go elsewhere for content is not reasonable.

Note that the person you quoted is ASKING where to get the content legally (and even asking how much it costs and the quality). Deliver good content and good quality and people will use the service... or don't and people will go elsewhere for their content.

Content owners can embrace the model and drive revenue, or kick and scream and lose control of their content.

Of course, denial seems to be the place some would rather live.
PSound is offline  
post #21 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"...why to pay when i can see them for free."

What part of this statement is confusing you?


"...kick and scream and lose control of their content."

That justifies the crime I guess...too some.
fpconvert is offline  
post #22 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

"...why to pay when i can see them for free."

What part of this statement is confusing you?

Read all of the statement that you originally posted. He queries about price and quality. He is trying to determine the value proposition that the content owners are presenting. That is EXACTLY what is being discussed.

Quote:


"...kick and scream and lose control of their content."

That justifies the crime I guess...too some.

No one has justified anything. You keep on bringing up that stawman. No one is defending any particular action. What is being said is that standing on the moral soapbox does not help the content owners. They (and their supporters) can either expend energy vilifying others, or actually view the overall situation and come up with a model that benefits them and their customers.

Fortunately, companies have already started moving in that direction. Progress continues, and only those who are unable to change feel jilted.
PSound is offline  
post #23 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

Read all of the statement that you originally posted. He queries about price and quality. He is trying to determine the value proposition that the content owners are presenting. That is EXACTLY what is being discussed.



No one has justified anything. You keep on bringing up that stawman. No one is defending any particular action. What is being said is that standing on the moral soapbox does not help the content owners. They (and their supporters) can either expend energy vilifying others, or actually view the overall situation and come up with a model that benefits them and their customers.

Fortunately, companies have already started moving in that direction. Progress continues, and only those who are unable to change feel jilted.

They seem to have done this to the level that they feel protects their interest and bottom line.

You created the original post citing the Telco Chief stance that the model the content creators had gave rise to piracy. I countered that the piracy wouldn't occur w/o the illegal file share sites being in operation.

Are you going to tell me the file share sites were created because the individual(s) wanted to see content on their terms? If so, why would they share it with tens of thousands knowing they would be potentially breaking the law? Perhaps to leverage the illegal activity for personal benefit?
fpconvert is offline  
post #24 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

They seem to have done this to the level that they feel protects their interest and bottom line.

You created the original post citing the Telco Chief stance that the model the content creators had gave rise to piracy. I countered that the piracy wouldn't occur w/o the illegal file share sites being in operation.

Are you going to tell me the file share sites were created because the individual(s) wanted to see content on their terms? If so, why would they share it with tens of thousands knowing they would be potentially breaking the law? Perhaps to leverage the illegal activity for personal benefit?

There are plenty of web destinations that receive little to no traffic. Either because the content is not compelling, or there are options that dwarf the relative usage.

What is being discussed is that content owners have the opportunity to drive usage and revenue if they embrace technology and customer desires. I have not tried to find "The Tonight Show" on any site other than Hulu, and cannot imagine why I would try. The site offers a great service, while driving ad revenue for Hulu (and NBC).

I have no need to look for movies and TV shows ouside of Netflix streaming if they are available on Netflix streaming. Why would I? The offering is fair, reasonably priced and valuable.


That is the entire point. Build an offering that respects peoples desire to receive their content via the internet (download or streaming) and you significantly lower the benefit of piracy AND drive revenue for the content owners. This is very basic stuff.


If you read the article, the hardest part is that there are still some too entrenched in the "Us vs Them" mentality. I am thrilled that you keep on posting what you do, because those moral strawman arguments (which have nothing to do with the business side) and the business arguments that attempt to polarize the wants of consumers and content owners is EXACTLY what the EU Telco Chief is trying to illustrate.

The "Us vs Them" method of polarizing consumers and content owners has not, and will not benefit anyone. Again, the only ones who seem to have angst about this are those unable to accept growth and change.
PSound is offline  
post #25 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Again... some quotes from the article that nicely sum up how vilifying either side is ultimately fruitless.

Quote:


It is necessary to penalize those who are breaking the law. But are there really enough attractive and consumer-friendly legal offers on the market? she mused, hitting on one of the biggest complaints from media consumers.

Highlighting the perceived gap between 'suits' and citizens, Reding questioned if the current legal system for dealing with copyright meets the expectations of the younger, more tech-savvy Internet generation;

Have we considered all alternative options to repression? Have we really looked at the issue through the eyes of a 16 year old? Or only from the perspective of law professors who grew up in the Gutenberg Age? In my view, growing Internet piracy is a vote of no-confidence in existing business models and legal solutions. It should be a wake-up call for policy-makers.

Quote:


In the end, people will have to talk. When all is said and done, legal action and disconnections will not solve this mess. Scaring people into becoming a customer is not a sustainable business model. In the end - just like flowing water - people will find the easiest route to the destination they require. It is up to the entertainment companies to ensure that the route Internet users take to media is via their door, and not to that of the nearest torrent site.

http://torrentfreak.com/eu-commissio...s-sexy-090710/
PSound is offline  
post #26 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
psound, the wording/phrasing/tone of those quotes are clearly one-sided...

"repression"??? "eyes of 16 year old"? since when are the "eyes of 16 year old" reasons for changing laws, etc. they are called "minors" for a reason... also, we don't just go changing law (i.e. copyright law) merely because a new generation doesn't like it... do you realize what a slippery slope you are treading upon?

c'mon... reality check.... repression...

you are right... some are too entrenched in the "us vs. them" mentality... but those people aren't in the corporations...

the reality is that if given an option to steal it or pay for it, a lot of the younger generation is going to steal it... that, my friend, is NOT the content providers fault...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #27 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

psound, the wording/phrasing/tone of those quotes are clearly one-sided...

"repression"??? "eyes of 16 year old"? since when are the "eyes of 16 year old" reasons for changing laws, etc. they are called "minors" for a reason... also, we don't just go changing law (i.e. copyright law) merely because a new generation doesn't like it... do you realize what a slippery slope you are treading upon?

c'mon... reality check.... repression...

you are right... some are too entrenched in the "us vs. them" mentality... but those people aren't in the corporations...

the reality is that if given an option to steal it or pay for it, a lot of the younger generation is going to steal it... that, my friend, is NOT the content providers fault...

Another example of entrenched thinking. You focused on ONE line. Ironically enough, the point of that line was not to say to change the laws totally to suit them. The point was to provide some perspective on how younger people prefer to access content and see what can be done to serve those needs as well as the content providers.

Closing the dialog because of one line (and a bunch of extrapolation of that one line) is what has traditionally caused issues.


Once more...

Quote:


In the end, people will have to talk.

PSound is offline  
post #28 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would suggest someone to read the entire article. The whole discussion is about respecting the needs and rights of consumers and content owners.

It is telling that it seems such a radical thing to suggest that commercial offerings that are made will have to be engaging and attractive to consumers.

Quote:


Digital Europe can only be built with content creators on board, Reding told the lecture, and with the generation of digital natives as interested users and innovative consumers.

http://torrentfreak.com/eu-commissio...s-sexy-090710/
PSound is offline  
post #29 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

Another example of entrenched thinking. You focused on ONE line. Ironically enough, the point of that line was not to say to change the laws totally to suit them. The point was to provide some perspective on how younger people prefer to access content and see what can be done to serve those needs as well as the content providers.

Closing the dialog because of one line (and a bunch of extrapolation of that one line) is what has traditionally caused issues.


Once more...

no, i didn't focus on one line, i merely picked one... i could have picked many of them in that article (for example, "suits" vs. citizens, amoungst other)...

sorry... i've been one of those "tech savvy internet users" for a LONG time, and have been on the bleeding edge of streaming tech... my thinking isn't "entrenched"...

you obviously aren't reading the quotes that you are posting the same way as i am... i think if you read them without using them to support your position, you might think differently (hint: think push polls)....

"growing internet piracy" has nothing to do with wanting a better model to deliver material, and everything to do with people wanting something for free...

i don't disagree that people need to talk... and i think that fee based services are worth talking about... however, "whatever i want, whenever i want for free" probably isn't going to move a lot of the content providers to a compromise solution...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #30 of 49 Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

however, "whatever i want, whenever i want for free" probably isn't going to move a lot of the content providers to a compromise solution...

When you read the entire article, do you really see it as trying to sell the idea of "whatever i want, whenever i want for free"?

That seems like jumping to an extreme, which again is exactly the issue the article is pointing out.

Your saying this seems to close the door on discussion:
Quote:


"growing internet piracy" has nothing to do with wanting a better model to deliver material, and everything to do with people wanting something for free...

If you truly believe that the ONLY driver for piracy is people "wanting something for free", then there really is not room for discussion (except for looking to get stricter laws).... where have I heard of that tactic before?


Pretty hard to start a dialog if you see one group as only wanting "whatever i want, whenever i want for free"... just as when you see one side only as draconian and greedy.


And I use those words because I have made arguments supporting the content owners rights to profit from the material they create, and the words "draconian" and "greedy" were words that others used to describe the studios.


The shift in this article is that we are finally seeing someone in a lawmaking/influencing position realize that simply making more or stricter laws without understanding the consumer motive is (and has been) failed policy.
PSound is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off