Can't stream HD movies from Netflix; can stream HD TV shows and all SD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-23-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the LG 390 and for some reason I can't stream any HD movies from Netflix. I can stream all SD content and HD Tv shows. However, any HD movie fails to play at all--even at SD quality.

When I try to play an HD movie I get the black screen with the movie title, a retrieving bar and the quality bars. Nothing ever happens. Eventually it times out and I get an "unable to connect to Netflix" error.

Of course I've been on the phone to both Netflix and LG but they want to blame each other or my internet connection. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this issue.

I'm done speed checks on my connection and all seems OK. As I said, I can play other content, even HD TV shows. I've also hooked up the player via an ethernet cable and that doesn't help.

I've applied the firmware update.

I also exchanged the player and when I got the 2nd one I tried streaming Netflix before applying the firmware update. It's having the same issue pre and post firmware update.

If it's a router issue then I have absolutely no idea how to troubleshoot that.

If anyone has any thoughts on this issue I'd really, really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, can't believe folks here don't have any suggestions about this.

Tonight I tried to play the first episode of Heroes season 4; it won't play. The episode is 85 minutes long.

So, it seems like the problem centers around the length of the HD program I'm trying to play. How is this possible? Why has this happened with two different units?

This problem is driving me a little crazy.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
That is odd that you can stream HD TV shows but not movies.

Shouldn't be a router issue since you can stream SD and HD TV programs.

Here is what I would do:

Ask this question in the LG 390 thread.

Call NetFlix again and ask to speak to a supervisor in technical support.

Call LG and ask to speak to a supervisor in technical support.

edit: I see that you have asked in the LG 390 thread. Stay on Netflix and LG

Really a strange issue. Keep us posted.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Ask this question in the LG 390 thread.

Call NetFlix again and ask to speak to a supervisor in technical support.

Call LG and ask to speak to a supervisor in technical support.

Well, I've done all that.

I've also reset my router, checked for a firmware update and tweaked various settings in my router config. Nada.

I've also been looking for my old router so I can try it.

Netflix and LG keep blaming each other. LG support is absolutely WORTHLESS. On one call they had me reinitialize Netflix and when that failed to solve anything they wanted me to send the unit in. Worse, after I exchanged the player and the new one was doing the same thing they still wanted me to send it in for repair. Seriously, what kind of troubleshooting is that?

I've also googled 300 different ways to Sunday and am coming up with nothing.

If I don't get this resolved next week I'm returning the player and trying a different brand. Even if I get another player I'd like to know what could possibly be causing this issue.

If it's the player or netflix then why do I seem to be the only one having this issue? If it's something on my end, my internet connection or router, etc, I want to know so I can make the necessary changes.

I had hoped the mystery of it would pique the interest of at least a few technophiles here. I'd like a little more detailed help than call LG and/or Netflix and update the firmware. I'm well beyond those steps.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

SOLVED!!!

When I was on the phone to Netflix today the tech mentioned that they'd been seeing some similar issues for people with 2Wire 2700/2701HG-D routers and Qwest ISP. Qwest had sent out an automatic firmware update Sept. 3rd and it seems to have broken a few things with Netflix streaming. The Netflix tech said most of the issues he'd seen had been with people using those routers with an Xbox.

I finally found my old router and tried it tonight. With the Actiontec router I can finally stream all HD content.

I've notified Qwest and have been told the info will be passed on to their network engineers. Hopefully there will be a patch for the firmware update within a week.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 AM

I am having the same problem. Same router and same ISP. Spoke to Netflix CS and after speaking to two reps, a supervisor, and some technical guy, I was given many ideas on how to fix the problem, all having to do with me calling someone else. Someone latched on the idea that it was a problem with router. Called Qwest and they said beyond a doubt it was a problem with Netflix. Called Netflix again and they sent me a link to this thread.

Two and a half hours on the phone and surfing to find a solution and I have nothing.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaForoni View Post

I am having the same problem. Same router and same ISP. Spoke to Netflix CS and after speaking to two reps, a supervisor, and some technical guy, I was given many ideas on how to fix the problem, all having to do with me calling someone else. Someone latched on the idea that it was a problem with router. Called Qwest and they said beyond a doubt it was a problem with Netflix. Called Netflix again and they sent me a link to this thread.

Two and a half hours on the phone and surfing to find a solution and I have nothing.

Well, based on the post above yours (titled "Solved!") I wouldn't say you have "nothing." It's a router problem, and you apparently need a different router.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Well, based on the post above yours (titled "Solved!") I wouldn't say you have "nothing." It's a router problem, and you apparently need a different router.

I suppose I could go out and spend a hundred bucks for a router, after I spent around $200 for the one I have. I can hope this is the problem in spite of:

1. Qwest says nothing is wrong with the one I have.

2. Qwest says Netflix has been pulling this blame game for awhile.

3. Netflix offered a few other problems I may have (eg. DSL feed is "wavering")

4.I have searched the internet for this problem and the only mention of the router comes from a link to this group sent to me from Netflix written by someone who doesn't have any history of posting here.

Maybe I could buy another router. Everyone is flush with money. And if it is not the router, I'm hoping Bestbuy will be happy to take it back for a full refund.

I still think I have nothing to go on. If there was confirming evidence I'd feel more secure in loading up the van and making a trip to Bestbuy.

Either way, TY mproper for responding.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
** shrugs** Just trying to help...no need for the snarkiness.

Do what most people would do: go get another router (for like 40-50 bucks), spend 5 minutes hooking it up, see if it works. That is called "troubleshooting" or "isolating" the faulty piece of equipment. If it doesn't work, return it. You will now know it's not a router problem. But if it does work, just ebay the old router. Nothing to lose other than some time.

Of course, you could spend 1 or 2 hours of your time doing that, or you could spend the next day/week/month getting the runaround by customer support from NF and Qwest and your ISP.

Whatever. No skin off my back.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Sorry, I was really thanking you for your response.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page