Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 190 Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't believe you can manage your "recently watched list"

I wish I could, as many times I'll watch the first hour or so of something (then go to bed) and finish watching it the next day. It shows up twice, which sortof throws off my numbers from Feedflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 190 Old 01-17-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I'm having a hard time believing that it would keep track of the speed at which you viewed something in the Recently Watched list. Intuitively, it would require a significant amount of work to do that and what would be the point? Does it seem to start up faster (skipping the check for current connection speed)? For one thing, your network speed could be worse than before and it would immediately have to stop after playback to adjust to a lower bit rate stream.

The speed of your connection to Netflix's server will not always be exactly the same. High traffic on the intervening path through the Internet would occasionally slow things down. This might be what you're seeing, coincidental to the use of entries in the Recently Watched list.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #183 of 190 Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would appear that, at least for the recently watched list and for titles previously viewed in SD, if you "resume play" then it does not recheck connection speed, but if you "start from beginning" then it does recheck.
post #184 of 190 Old 01-17-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still don't buy your analysis. As I said, it would be a senseless waste of programming effort, unlikely to benefit anyone, ever. I would be shocked if Netflix's per-user streaming database even has a field for saving that information.

How is it that you know that the films that you watched in 480p even have higher bit rate encodings? Only about 5% of all Netflix streams have high-def encodings (it varies, so it's often a smaller percentage than that, sometimes a little larger). You can see the list of available HD streams here, 703 titles as I write this, out of supposedly 12,000+ total.

EDIT: I just noticed that your post said, "...if you 'start from beginning' then it does recheck"; I assume that this means that you repeatedly tried resuming playback and always got the lower resolution stream, then tried "start from beginning" and got a higher one. I suppose it could be a quirk of the PS3 implementation that it always resumes exactly the same encoding that it stopped. It's certainly not true of all other implementations, since if I start or resume a stream and get a low bit rate, I'll immediately stop it and start-or-resume it again to get a new connection speed check and have been doing that for a long time on TiVo and Xbox.

The problem is that you can't be sure whether the PS3 checked or not since it's the only implementation that doesn't report an indication of connection speed check, nor whether or not the stream it chose was the HD one. AFAIK, every other device does this.

post #185 of 190 Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I still don't buy your analysis. As I said, it would be a senseless waste of programming effort, unlikely to benefit anyone, ever. I would be shocked if Netflix's per-user streaming database even has a field for saving that information.

If I was Netflix, I would want to capture that information. If nothing else you have an understanding of what percentage of your customers have access to the highest bitrate. You could then use that data to re-assess when it is time to update the bitrate or the codec to maximize quality for the largest amount of customers.
post #186 of 190 Old 01-17-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I still don't buy your analysis. ....
How is it that you know that the films that you watched in 480p even have higher bit rate encodings? .....

EDIT: I just noticed that your post said, "...if you 'start from beginning' then it does recheck";

The titles I'm referring to all have the "HD" icon and yet I received 480p (as reported by my VP) before my connection speed was fixed by ATT. When I "resume" it stays 480p even now that my speed is up and when I "play from beginning" it plays the HD version.

I'm simply reporting what seems to be happening.

Could be coincidental of course but it seems to be fairly consistent.
post #187 of 190 Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

If I was Netflix, I would want to capture that information. If nothing else you have an understanding of what percentage of your customers have access to the highest bitrate. You could then use that data to re-assess when it is time to update the bitrate or the codec to maximize quality for the largest amount of customers.

Yeah, I can see where it might be a useful statistic. It still seems doubtful that they'd have intentionally coded to resume with the last stream used; I know that neither TiVo or Xbox do that. Could be a bug in the PS3 implementation; it's unique in all sorts of other ways (the aforemention lack of connection speed indicator and the fact that it uses a set of AVC encodings with DD2.0 sound when all the others use VC-1/WMA).

post #188 of 190 Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Not sure if this has already been covered, but I'm wondering if anyone else doing "Instant Watch" using a PS3 is having a problem with the sound only being stereo. Is this just the way it's being broadcast, or something with my bandwidth, or do I have something set up wrong on the PS3 or my AVR?
post #189 of 190 Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycohen28 View Post

Not sure if this has already been covered, but I'm wondering if anyone else doing "Instant Watch" using a PS3 is having a problem with the sound only being stereo. Is this just the way it's being broadcast, or something with my bandwidth, or do I have something set up wrong on the PS3 or my AVR?

It's just the way it's being broadcast. In this Netflix blog entry they blame it on not being able to encode any surround sound format except for WMA Pro, which very few receivers can decode. That was due to their use of a WMDRM wrapper. This reasoning wouldn't apply to the PS3, since they created a totally new set of encodings in AVC with DD2.0 sound for it.

Of course, they've already pissed Microsoft off by dancing around their exclusivity agreement; giving the PS3 encodings superior sound would rub salt in the wounds .

post #190 of 190 Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would hope MS is trying to license their smooth streaming tech (1080p, 5.1 sound) to Netflix, but they might just be holding onto that for their Zune marketplace.

I would love to see Netflix get it, even if MS only allows it's use through the XBOX.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page