PS3 to stream Netflix! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Blasst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: So.California
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Its official.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...playstation-3/

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
Blasst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Member
 
vatkat234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.ngvgn.com/nerd_news/2009/...o-the-ps3.html
vatkat234 is offline  
post #3 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 AM
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Expect yet more record Netflix growth driven by streaming!

http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc
PSound is offline  
post #4 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 AM
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And it looks like Netflix is now trading at $56. I know there were some who were shorting Netflix or wary of their growth prospects. They must be kicking themselves right now... especially those who were shorting it while it was still trading in the mid-$40s.
PSound is offline  
post #5 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Now I'll have four things that can stream Netflix: PC, 360, PS3 and TiVo Series3 . So far, the Xbox GUI is the best, but the PS3 is quieter--I'll probably use it if it's any good.

"Instant Streaming Disc"? I wonder why its not a downloadable app.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #6 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Now I'll have four things that can stream Netflix: PC, 360, PS3 and TiVo Series3 . So far, the Xbox GUI is the best, but the PS3 is quieter--I'll probably use it if it's any good.

"Instant Streaming Disc"? I wonder why its not a downloadable app.

I read that it was because of some exclusivity deal w/360 so they are the only system with it available directly on the menu of the console.
b_scott is offline  
post #7 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
KLJ
Member
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
will any hi-def material be available?
KLJ is offline  
post #8 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
bt12483's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Netflix was kind enough to answer a heap of nitpicky questions following the announcement that its steaming service would soon be available for PlayStation 3. Certainly, question marks hovered over the application "disc" and whether or not it would have to always be in the PS3 to use the Netflix streaming service. It turns out that Netflix won't have an integrated XMB solution just yet -- but it's coming.

Check out our interview with a Netflix representative for the full details:


Was the PS3 application developed internally by Netflix?

Yes, with the help of the Sony team.



Can the Netflix application be installed to the PS3 hard dive from the disc? Or must the disc be inserted every time a user wants to access Netflix?

Yes, the Netflix disc has to be inserted every time to access the Netflix service.



Why a disc-based application and not streaming access through the PS3 browser?


Netflix members and PS3 owners have really wanted a way to instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system. The instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let them do this.



Why not distribute the application via PSN download or firmware update, and then embed it into the XMB?


Again, the instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let PS3 enthusiasts get Netflix on the PS3. Late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network.



Is releasing the PS3 application on a disc required by an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft?

The Netflix agreement with Sony for PS3 is consistent with the terms of our partnership with Microsoft for Xbox 360. Our goal is to give members the opportunity to instantly watch movies streamed from Netflix via the widest variety of Netflix ready devices. All of our partners are aware of our goal.



Is any new content being added to the Netlfix streaming catalog alongside this announcement?


We are constantly adding content to better serve our members, however we did not announce new content alongside the PS3 announcement.



Can users search the entire Netflix streaming library from the PS3? (On Xbox 360, browsing is currently limited to 100-movie categories.)

Similar to Xbox, subscribers can search lists of movies in categories such as New Releases, Drama, Action, Comedy, etc., and will have access to the entire library available to watch instantly.



Will special features typically found on DVD and Blu-ray discs (e.g., additional audio tracks, director commentary, etc.) be available through the PS3 application?

No.



Is there any difference between the content catalog available on PS3 versus Xbox 360?

No.



Does the PS3 application include any features that aren't in the Xbox 360 application?

No.



Are there more features being planned for a future update?

Again, late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network.



Finally, what's the update on a Netflix application for Wii?

Certainly, the Wii represents a great opportunity given the size of its installed base, but we have nothing specific to say about it at this point. The Xbox partnership has been terrific for Netflix members, and we're equally excited to announce the partnership with PS3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/26/ne...l-2010-update/
bt12483 is offline  
post #9 of 190 Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
bt12483's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Netflix coming to PlayStation 3 next month is good news for PlayStation 3 owners (and Xbox 360 users whose primary reason for a Gold membership has been easy Netflix streaming access). But several questions about Netflix coming to Sony's platform weren't answered in the announcement release. Is there HD streaming? Why do I need a disc to access it?

I spoke with Netflix's VP of corporate communications Steve Swasey on the phone this morning to clarify these points and others. Again, good news: you should be happy with these answers, too.

Yes, Netflix on PlayStation 3 supports HD streaming. The entire Netflix streaming catalogue -- HD or not -- that's currently available on the PC, via Netflix-supporting TVs and, yes, through Xbox 360 will be available for PlayStation 3 users on day one. Swasey admitted Netflix's streaming catalogue isn't nearly as vast as its disc catalog, but said it's something they're actively expanding every day.

At the outset, in order to access Netflix on your PlayStation 3, you'll need to pop in a disc. The disc is free and yours to keep. All you need to do is ask for one and keep it nearby when you want to access Netflix streaming. That's not permanent. Swasey confirmed Netflix will have an "embedded solution" (i.e. a proper application, ala Xbox 360) "at some point," but couldn't say when.

Swasey wouldn't comment on speculation that it's a disc-based solution at the moment to get around whatever exclusivity contract the company currently has with Microsoft. Regardless, PlayStation 3 users will eventually have a more elegant way to access Netflix that doesn't require a disc, but according to Swasey, this was the "fastest and easiest way to get PlayStation 3 members now."

Netflix has not announced a specific date for when it will start shipping the Netflix-enabling Blu-ray discs for PlayStation 3 owners, but it's happening sometime in November. If you want to be at the top of the list, I recommend linking your account right now.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...-Required.html
bt12483 is offline  
post #10 of 190 Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 701
I'm one of those who hold the opinion that this is an end-run around any console exclusivity agreement Netflix has with MS. This BD-J implementation can probably be run on any BD Live 2.0 player and is not embedded and console-specific; the PS3 just happens to be one of a number of BD Live 2.0-compliant Blu-ray players 8^). Clever.

Netflix has talked about a Wii version of their streaming player, but I'm betting that it will have to wait for MS' console exclusivity agreement to expire (presumably "late next year", when Netflix claims that the PS3 embedded player will appear). There's no facility with which they can do this on a DVD.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #11 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Joe_Blow_1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ View Post

will any hi-def material be available?



No, most of the videos have been out for many years and are not popular. Somewhere on the PS3 web site I read that only 17,000 movies are available to stream. None of the Blue-ray movies are available. Besides, I have watched a couple of movies on my PC and I think it looks like crap. Wait until you get the movies in the mail and play them on your home system. Even the DVD movies look better playing in my PS3 at home than streaming over the internet.
Joe_Blow_1974 is offline  
post #12 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blow_1974 View Post

No, most of the videos have been out for many years and are not popular. Somewhere on the PS3 web site I read that only 17,000 movies are available to stream. None of the Blue-ray movies are available. Besides, I have watched a couple of movies on my PC and I think it looks like crap. Wait until you get the movies in the mail and play them on your home system. Even the DVD movies look better playing in my PS3 at home than streaming over the internet.

what?

there are HD streaming movies. But you can only stream them on the 360, TivoHD, Roku, and the blu-ray players that do it. Not on PC. The PS3 will have HD streaming too.
b_scott is offline  
post #13 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Joe_Blow_1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

what?

there are HD streaming movies. But you can only stream them on the 360, TivoHD, Roku, and the blu-ray players that do it. Not on PC. The PS3 will have HD streaming too.


You can stream movies on your PC. You have to install the software that Netflix provides. I have not yet seen any Blue-ray movies that I can stream on Netflix. Most of the movies that you can stream from Netflix are standard DVD movies that have been out for many years. Log into your account and you will see what I am talking about.
Joe_Blow_1974 is offline  
post #14 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blow_1974 View Post

You can stream movies on your PC. You have to install the software that Netflix provides. I have not yet seen any Blue-ray movies that I can stream on Netflix. Most of the movies that you can stream from Netflix are standard DVD movies that have been out for many years. Log into your account and you will see what I am talking about.

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. There are HD movies available, but you have to have an HD device, like the 360 (and soon PS3), Roku, Tivo, and some Blu-Ray players. HD movies are NOT available on the PC (yes you can stream to the PC, but not any HD titles).

Those of us who are streaming movies on a daily basis know there are HD movies and they are not ones that have been out for many years. Yes, there's lots of those too, but there are also many newer movies too (I just watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop today...admittedly not a great movie, but from 2009).

Maybe you should do a little research before you post about these things. Try this: www.google.com
mproper is offline  
post #15 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Member
 
Joe_Blow_1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. There are HD movies available, but you have to have an HD device, like the 360 (and soon PS3), Roku, Tivo, etc. HD movies are NOT available on the PC (yes you can stream to the PC, but not any HD titles).

Those of us who are streaming movies on a daily basis know there are HD movies and they are not ones that have been out for many years. Yes, there's lots of those too, but there are also many newer movies too (I just watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop today...admittedly not a great movie, but from 2009).

Maybe you should do a little research before you post about these things.


Was that in Blue-ray format? If you read my first post, you would see that I said that movies that are not popular and have been out for a while. Also, the movie that you watched was standard DVD format. I doubt you streamed a Blue-ray movie. As I look through my blue-ray Nextflix account, I cannot see any Blue-ray movie that says "Play". You may have watched that movie from 2009, but it was not Blue-ray. That movie has been out for some time now and it is unpopular.
Joe_Blow_1974 is offline  
post #16 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blow_1974 View Post

Was that in Blue-ray format? If you read my first post, you would see that I said that movies that are not popular and have been out for a while. Also, the movie that you watched was standard DVD format. I doubt you streamed a Blue-ray movie. As I look through my blue-ray Nextflix account, I cannot see any Blue-ray movie that says "Play". You may have watched that movie from 2009, but it was not Blue-ray. That movie has been out for some time now and it is unpopular.

**sigh**

this has been discussed so many times I am not going to waste my time. Everyone is already aware of the differences between Blu-ray (not "blue" btw) and what Netflix has.
mproper is offline  
post #17 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Joe_Blow_1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

**sigh**

this has been discussed so many times I am not going to waste my time. Everyone is already aware of the differences between Blu-ray (not "blue" btw) and what Netflix has.



The whole point of my post was to inform that person to get the movies in the mail and play the movies on the home theater. The video looks much better than watching it over the internet. Besides, why would a person buy a $1,700 LG 55inch LED backlit LCD display and stream movies over the internet? My 55-inch TV and my PS3 are like a peanut butter and jelly samitch. You cannot have one without the other.
Joe_Blow_1974 is offline  
post #18 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
 
PSound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blow_1974 View Post

The whole point of my post was to inform that person to get the movies in the mail and play the movies on the home theater. The video looks much better than watching it over the internet. Besides, why would a person buy a $1,700 LG 55inch LED backlit LCD display and stream movies over the internet? My 55-inch TV and my PS3 are like a peanut butter and jelly samitch. You cannot have one without the other.

Perhaps you should start by gaining a rudimentary understanding of the technology and offerings. A core piece of Blu-ray is that it is an optical disc format. Same as DVD. Neither are streamed over the internet as they inherently require physical media (shiny plastic discs) and hardware to read the optical discs.

The format (physical or Digital Distribution) delivers the content. The content is movies, television shows or some other video entertainment. There is content that is on DVD and Blu-ray that is also available for streaming, including via Netflix.

The content on DVD is of SD quality. The content on Blu-ray is of HD quality. There is likewise options to stream content in both SD and HD. There are some overlaps in content available in SD and HD via Netflix streaming and on physical media.

Your assertion and insistence on stating you cannot stream a "Blue-ray" movie demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the technology and offerings.
PSound is offline  
post #19 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post

Anyone know the cost to rent an SD movie? HD movie? How long is the rental period?

Or is it unlimited for $8.99/month?

Thanks

It's unlimited for $8.99/month and you get to rent and keep 1 DVD at a time for that same price (another $2/month gets you access to Blu-ray discs). Netflix disc rentals are also unlimited. You can keep any disc as long as you remain a subscriber and you can rent as many as you can cycle through snail mail. You form a list of discs that you'd like to rent and put them in your DVD Queue in the order that you'd like to see them and if you're a new subscriber, they'll send you your first disc. You put the disc you're holding in the mail and as soon as they get it they'll put the next item on top of your DVD Queue in the mail. If you want to hold more discs at the same time there are 2, 3 and 4 discs-at-a-time plans available (for progressively more money, of course).

Currently, Watch Instantly is a ancillary service to their disc rental business, offered at no extra charge. Those of us who were already Netflix disc rental subscribers weren't asked to pay anything more. This is one reason why the available titles don't include any of the latest popular theatrical releases (they'd definitely have to charge extra for those), though there are some popular titles as fresh as last year.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #20 of 190 Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ View Post

will any hi-def material be available?

Let me give you an answer from someone who has been watching Netflix streaming more or less since it became available (I watched my first stream on PC on 5 May 2007, some 2 years, 5 months ago and more than a year before the service became available on embedded devices).

Yes, Netflix Watch Instantly includes some titles with HD encodings, though they are a small percentage of the 18,600 streams available. Right now, there's 480 titles with HD encodings; if you are currently logged in to Netflix and have an HD-capable streaming device registered (right now, anything except a PC) you can see them listed at http://netflix.com/WiHD. Be sure to click the "Show Rated and Seen Titles" check box to the right of the page to see the full list. (For some reason they won't show that list to anyone who hasn't made an investment of time and cash in getting set up to view them, making it a bit more difficult to make the decision of whether you want to make that investment . Thanks to mproper for his correction in the post below--I'd forgotten that you have to have a registered HD streamer to see that list).

Every title has several streams so that they can be watched by people with a wide range of connection speeds; picture quality increases with bit rate. There are standard definition streams (both widescreen and 4:3) encoded in VC1AP at .375, .500, 1.0, and 1.5 Mbps and the aforementioned 480 titles have HD resolution streams (720p at 24 frames/sec) encoded at 2.6 Mbps and 3.8 Mbps. Before it starts streaming it tests your connection speed (not the rated line speed of your service, but the actual speed of your current connection to their server); it will send you the highest quality version of the stream encoded at a bit rate which doesn't exceed 80% of the tested speed. Since the streams are encoded at variable bit rate, they can momentarily exceed those average rates that I quoted; the requirement for a 20% higher bit rate gives the stream some breathing room. Consequently, you need a connection of at least 3.25 Mbps to get the lower bit rate HD encoding and 4.75 Mbps to get the higher bit rate HD encoding. Again, that's connection speed, not the rated line speed of your service. Your service might be rated at 10 Mbps but, for numerous reasons, to some sites you might get a lot less than that. If you connection speed drops below what it first tested as, the player will pause and select a lower bit rate (also lower quality) version of the stream. The PC player uses Silverlight and can sense when the connection speed rises again and switch back to a higher quality encoding; none of the others can (though I suspect that the newer version of the Xbox player might be doing it).

For some reason they do not give the PC player access to the HD resolution streams. It probably has to do with Hollywood paranoid thinking that someone will come up with a method for capturing the "high value" HD resolution streams, if they're being sent to a general purpose computer. I believe that they'll eventually get over it .

Obviously, at 3.8 Mbps and 720p24, these streams are not going to come close the quality of Blu-ray, which are 1080p24 at 15 Mbps up to quite a bit higher. That said, some of them look quite sharp--certainly better than an upconverted DVD and about as good as most HDTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blow_1974 View Post

As I look through my blue-ray Nextflix account, I cannot see any Blue-ray movie that says "Play".

Things available on my DVD Queue which are available on Blu-ray disc and as a Watch Instantly stream:
  • Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 2007
  • The Orphanage - 2007
  • National Treasure: Book of Secrets - 2007
  • Step Up 2 the Streets - 2008
  • Humbolt County - 2008
  • Special - 2006
  • Splinter - 2008
  • Two Lovers - 2008
  • The Great Buck Howard - 2008
Things on my Instant Queue (but not DVD queue) that are available on Blu-ray and as a stream:
  • Heroes: Season 3 - 2008
  • Serenity - 2005
  • CSI: Season 9 - 2008
  • Star Trek: Season 1 - 1966
  • Flawless - 2007
  • Monsoon Wedding - 2001
  • The Secret - 2007
  • A Few Good Men - 1992
  • Ghost Busters - 1984
There are about 20 other titles on my Instant Queue available as HD streams but not on Blu-ray. (Two of the titles in my Instant Queue are only available as streams Heroes: Season 4 (2009) and Amazing Stories: Season 2 (1986). Heroes: Season 4 isn't available on video disc because it's the current season; new episodes become available for streaming on the day after they air and HD encodes for all of the episodes are available (I forget whether that's true for Amazing Stories: Season 2).

Not counting the PC, I currently have two embedded Netflix streamers: TiVo Series3 and Xbox 360; when this PS3 disc ships, I'll have three. I like the Xbox GUI best of the two I already have, but mine is a noisy early model and I sit fairly close to it and the monitor, so it can be more pleasant to use TiVo for the purpose.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #21 of 190 Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Right now, there's 480 titles with HD encodings; if you currently subscribe to Netflix and are logged in, you can see them listed at http://netflix.com/WiHD (for some reason they won't show that list to non-subscribers ).

Just as an FYI, I am relatively sure you can only see that HD list if you subscribe, AND if you have an HD capable device registered (XBOX, PS3, Tivo, Roku, one of the Blu-Ray players, etc). Which does it make it hard for "outsiders" to see what is actually available in HD.

FWIW, here are the titles I have in my queue(s) that are available as Streaming And Blu-Ray. Some of these I've watched but have kept them in my queue for either my wife or kid to watch as well.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009)
Oldboy (2003)
Seven Pounds (2008)
Tokyo! (2008)
Sex Drive (2008)
Synedoche, NY (2008)
Quarantine (2008)
The Great Buck Howard (2008)
The Mutant Chronicles (2008)
Frozen River (2008)
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008)
Lakeview Terrace (2008)
Eden Log (2007)
The Wackness (2008)
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009)
Miracle at St. Anna (2008)
What Just Happened? (2008)
Flawless (2007)
Let The Right One In (2008)
Swing Vote (2008)
Righteous Kill (2008)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Tell No One (2006)
The Waterhorse: Legend of the Deep (2007)
Elegy (2007)
Traitor (2008)
Dead Space: Downfall (2008)
You Don't Mess With The Zohan (2009)
Stuck (2007)
Re-Cycle (2006)
Bedtime Stories (2008)
88 Minutes (2007)
The Orphanage (2007)
Day of the Dead (2008)
Bullitt (1968)
The Host (2006)
mproper is offline  
post #22 of 190 Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

FWIW, here are the titles I have in my queue(s) that are available as Streaming And Blu-Ray. Some of these I've watched but have kept them in my queue for either my wife or kid to watch as well.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009)
Oldboy (2003)
Seven Pounds (2008)
Tokyo! (2008)
Sex Drive (2008)
Synedoche, NY (2008)
Quarantine (2008)
The Great Buck Howard (2008)
The Mutant Chronicles (2008)
Frozen River (2008)
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008)
Lakeview Terrace (2008)
Eden Log (2007)
The Wackness (2008)
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009)
Miracle at St. Anna (2008)
What Just Happened? (2008)
Flawless (2007)
Let The Right One In (2008)
Swing Vote (2008)
Righteous Kill (2008)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Tell No One (2006)
The Waterhorse: Legend of the Deep (2007)
Elegy (2007)
Traitor (2008)
Dead Space: Downfall (2008)
You Don't Mess With The Zohan (2009)
Stuck (2007)
Re-Cycle (2006)
Bedtime Stories (2008)
88 Minutes (2007)
The Orphanage (2007)
Day of the Dead (2008)
Bullitt (1968)
The Host (2006)

Thanks for the correction--I've modified my post. Small nit with your list: Zohan was a 2007 release (EDIT: Ooops! Netflix says 2007, but IMDb says it was released on 6 June 2008).

You're made of stiffer stuff than me, my friend--I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes of Rise of the Lycans (loved the first Underworld movie and thought the second was okay), but I've watched many of the other titles on your list.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #23 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,683
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Let me give you an answer from someone who has been watching Netflix streaming more or less since it became available (I watched my first stream on PC on 5 May 2007, some 2 years, 5 months ago and more than a year before the service became available on embedded devices).

Yes, Netflix Watch Instantly includes some titles with HD encodings, though they are a small percentage of the 18,600 streams available. Right now, there's 480 titles with HD encodings; if you are currently logged in to Netflix and have an HD-capable streaming device registered (right now, anything except a PC) you can see them listed at http://netflix.com/WiHD. Be sure to click the "Show Rated and Seen Titles" check box to the right of the page to see the full list. (For some reason they won't show that list to anyone who hasn't made an investment of time and cash in getting set up to view them, making it a bit more difficult to make the decision of whether you want to make that investment . Thanks to mproper for his correction in the post below--I'd forgotten that you have to have a registered HD streamer to see that list).

Every title has several streams so that they can be watched by people with a wide range of connection speeds; picture quality increases with bit rate. There are standard definition streams (both widescreen and 4:3) encoded in VC1AP at .375, .500, 1.0, and 1.5 Mbps and the aforementioned 480 titles have HD resolution streams (720p at 24 frames/sec) encoded at 2.6 Mbps and 3.8 Mbps. Before it starts streaming it tests your connection speed (not the rated line speed of your service, but the actual speed of your current connection to their server); it will send you the highest quality version of the stream encoded at a bit rate which doesn't exceed 80% of the tested speed. Since the streams are encoded at variable bit rate, they can momentarily exceed those average rates that I quoted; the requirement for a 20% higher bit rate gives the stream some breathing room. Consequently, you need a connection of at least 3.25 Mbps to get the lower bit rate HD encoding and 4.75 Mbps to get the higher bit rate HD encoding. Again, that's connection speed, not the rated line speed of your service. Your service might be rated at 10 Mbps but, for numerous reasons, to some sites you might get a lot less than that. If you connection speed drops below what it first tested as, the player will pause and select a lower bit rate (also lower quality) version of the stream. The PC player uses Silverlight and can sense when the connection speed rises again and switch back to a higher quality encoding; none of the others can (though I suspect that the newer version of the Xbox player might be doing it).

For some reason they do not give the PC player access to the HD resolution streams. It probably has to do with Hollywood paranoid thinking that someone will come up with a method for capturing the "high value" HD resolution streams, if they're being sent to a general purpose computer. I believe that they'll eventually get over it .

Obviously, at 3.8 Mbps and 720p24, these streams are not going to come close the quality of Blu-ray, which are 1080p24 at 15 Mbps up to quite a bit higher. That said, some of them look quite sharp--certainly better than an upconverted DVD and about as good as most HDTV.
Things available on my DVD Queue which are available on Blu-ray disc and as a Watch Instantly stream:
  • Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 2007
  • The Orphanage - 2007
  • National Treasure: Book of Secrets - 2007
  • Step Up 2 the Streets - 2008
  • Humbolt County - 2008
  • Special - 2006
  • Splinter - 2008
  • Two Lovers - 2008
  • The Great Buck Howard - 2008
Things on my Instant Queue (but not DVD queue) that are available on Blu-ray and as a stream:
  • Heroes: Season 3 - 2008
  • Serenity - 2005
  • CSI: Season 9 - 2008
  • Star Trek: Season 1 - 1966
  • Flawless - 2007
  • Monsoon Wedding - 2001
  • The Secret - 2007
  • A Few Good Men - 1992
  • Ghost Busters - 1984
There are about 20 other titles on my Instant Queue available as HD streams but not on Blu-ray. (Two of the titles in my Instant Queue are only available as streams Heroes: Season 4 (2009) and Amazing Stories: Season 2 (1986). Heroes: Season 4 isn't available on video disc because it's the current season; new episodes become available for streaming on the day after they air and HD encodes for all of the episodes are available (I forget whether that's true for Amazing Stories: Season 2).

Not counting the PC, I currently have two embedded Netflix streamers: TiVo Series3 and Xbox 360; when this PS3 disc ships, I'll have three. I like the Xbox GUI best of the two I already have, but mine is a noisy early model and I sit fairly close to it and the monitor, so it can be more pleasant to use TiVo for the purpose.

I don't see where Splinter is available as a stream. It only shows up as a rental. Although there is a 2006 title with the name Splinter for streaming, but that is not the one you were referring to.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #24 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't see where Splinter is available as a stream. It only shows up as a rental. Although there is a 2006 title with the name Splinter for streaming, but that is not the one you were referring to.

Ah--sorry about that. It's in the "Saved" section of my instant queue now. I think that maybe it was available for streaming and stopped being available in the short while since I made that post, since nearly all of the other stuff in that "Saved" section is stuff that I actually have streamed which is no longer available to be streamed.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #25 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Ah--sorry about that. It's in the "Saved" section of my instant queue now. I think that maybe it was available for streaming and stopped being available in the short while since I made that post, since nearly all of the other stuff in that "Saved" section is stuff that I actually have streamed which is no longer available to be streamed.


That's correct. I watched it with streaming a few months ago. Not sure when it expired.
mproper is offline  
post #26 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,683
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 758
I was watching a revision3 video yesterday and they said that the Netflix Streaming disc would need to be in the PS3 EVERYTIME you want to watch Netflix streaming.

Has anyone else heard this? If this is true it would make NEtflix streaming on the PS3 an EPIC FAIL.
Why would anyone want to stick a disc in everytime they want to watch streaming content?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #27 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
b_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I was watching a revision3 video yesterday and they said that the Netflix Streaming disc would need to be in the PS3 EVERYTIME you want to watch Netflix streaming.

Has anyone else heard this? If this is true it would make NEtflix streaming on the PS3 an EPIC FAIL.
Why would anyone want to stick a disc in everytime they want to watch streaming content?

because the disc is a way to get around the 360's exclusivity of downloadable Netflix on your desktop. The disc will be a blu-ray with BD-Live which connects to Netflix, so it's more like a disc's "bonus features" than an actual program. That's why, and yes you will have to have it in the system.
b_scott is offline  
post #28 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, that is true and has been discussed. Tons more inconvenient than the other streaming devices, and will be why I continue using my XBOX. I have heard speculation that it's to get around the XBOX exclusivity deal (not substantiated AFAIK, since I would think MS wouldn't be that stupid to not put that in their contract and would probably have lawyers on the case by now for "implied" purpose of the agreement). They are supposed to integrate it in late 2010, supposedly, so you won't need the disc. The "late 2010" date does seem to imply it's a way to get around the agreement though, since there's no way it should take that long to integrate it into the PS3.

I did order a disc for my PS3, because I am interested in comparing it (speed, player functionality, queue management functionality, etc.). I expect the quality to be a wash, but will post back when I get my disc and compare.

BTW, you have to get off the couch to turn on the PS3 anyways, so it's probably not a HUGE deal. Stupid Sony and their refusal to put in a ~50 cent IR port into the PS3. That alone is another reason why I will most likely continue using the 360 (I am generally lazy and don't have to get my fat a$$ off my couch to turn it on and put in a disc to watch an "instant" movie. Not too bad if I'm putting in a Blu-Ray disc though, but don't think I should have to for the instant stuff)
mproper is offline  
post #29 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,683
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

because the disc is a way to get around the 360's exclusivity of downloadable Netflix on your desktop. The disc will be a blu-ray with BD-Live which connects to Netflix, so it's more like a disc's "bonus features" than an actual program. That's why, and yes you will have to have it in the system.


Then that is an EPIC FAIL. No other device I have with Netflix streaming needs me to walk up to the machine to do anything to watch Netflix.

If I'm sticking a disc in a machine I better be getting BD quality video.

I was going to be adding my PS3 to my list of Netflix streaming enabled devices. But with this development, i will not even consider using the PS3 for Netflix streaming if I have to put a disc in it everytime.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #30 of 190 Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,683
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yes, that is true and has been discussed. Tons more inconvenient than the other streaming devices, and will be why I continue using my XBOX. I have heard speculation that it's to get around the XBOX exclusivity deal (not substantiated AFAIK, since I would think MS wouldn't be that stupid to not put that in their contract and would probably have lawyers on the case by now for "implied" purpose of the agreement). They are supposed to integrate it in late 2010, supposedly, so you won't need the disc.

I did order a disc for my PS3, because I am interested in comparing it (speed, player functionality, queue management functionality, etc.). I expect the quality to be a wash, but will post back when I get my disc and compare.

BTW, you have to get off the couch to turn on the PS3 anyways, so it's probably not a HUGE deal. Stupid Sony and their refusal to put in a ~50 cent IR port into the PS3. That alone is another reason why I will most likely continue using the 360 (I am generally lazy and don't have to get my fat a$$ off my couch to turn it on and put in a disc to watch a movie)

I must have missed the dicussion about it. I thought you would just stick the disc in and it would load the software. And that would be the only time you would need the disc.

And then the software was going to be integrated into the PS3 sometime later.

I would have never gussed that a disc would need to be inserted EVERYTIME you wanted to watch Netflix Streaming.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off