Is it better to use ROKU HD XR or a Blu Ray player to stream movies? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Member
 
plasma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Yes. 4.8 is fast enough for HD.

As for the PS3 comment, we’ve got kids too. We just don’t let them play it.

-Suntan

yeah..i am not buying any games...

on a different note, has anyone compared the PS3 wi-fi speed to other devices?
the PS3 gives me download/upload speed reading of 15/3 whereas the ipad (in the same location) routinely reads 27/18. Am using speedtest.net for the ipad.

I know 15 is fast enough for HD but the large difference in upload speed is puzzling....
plasma21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
scJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As far as I know these are the unofficial download speeds requirement for NF streaming:

1.5 Mbps absolute minimum.
3.0 Mbps for DVD quality. Quality of the source will go a long way towards how good/bad this will be.
5.0+ for HD quality at 720P. Once again quality of source will come into play.
8.0+ for 1080P on the PS3. At this time the PS3 in the only device that will get a 1080p stream.
scJohn is offline  
post #33 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

As far as I know these are the unofficial download speeds requirement for NF streaming:

1.5 Mbps absolute minimum.
3.0 Mbps for DVD quality. Quality of the source will go a long way towards how good/bad this will be.
5.0+ for HD quality at 720P. Once again quality of source will come into play.
8.0+ for 1080P on the PS3. At this time the PS3 in the only device that will get a 1080p stream.

That doesn't gel with what we have traditionally been told.

Netflix SD: 500, 1000 and 1500 Kbps
Netflix 720p: 2600 and 3800 Kbps

Netflix PS3 1080p: ??

It can be misleading as some hardware players are not as advanced as others in buffering and as such require a certain amount of overhead before allowing a stream of a certain level. But if you do the ctrl-altshft-m (or whatever the combo is) trick while streaming windowed on the PC, you can clearly see what bitrate you are running at.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #34 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 16,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

That doesn't gel with what we have traditionally been told.

Netflix SD: 500, 1000 and 1500 Kbps
Netflix 720p: 2600 and 3800 Kbps

Netflix PS3 1080p: ??

It can be misleading as some hardware players are not as advanced as others in buffering and as such require a certain amount of overhead before allowing a stream of a certain level. But if you do the ctrl-altshft-m (or whatever the combo is) trick while streaming windowed on the PC, you can clearly see what bitrate you are running at.

The word is "headroom", generally somewhere around 30%. As far as I know all Netflix streaming players, including the PC one, will take necessary headroom into consideration when selecting the stream that it wants to give to you .

Netflix has a Twitter account through which they'll answer some technical questions (ones which can validly help you use their services better; some of my idle technical curiousity has been ignored ) called "Netflixhelps". They had these responses to a couple of questions about bandwidth requirements:
Quote:
a download speed of at least 1.5Mbps, 3Mpbs for DVD quality and 5Mbps for HD quality for the duration of the film
...
5+ mbps for HD and 8+ Mbps to get 1080p on the PS3


Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #35 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Right, well if you want the general answer they're giving J6Ps on twitter, there you go.

That said, I know for a fact you can stream at less than 1500, and that you don't need 30% ahem headroom for streaming to all devices.

In any case, why bother with official speeds when you're getting your unofficial speeds from twitter?

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #36 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

In any case, why bother with official speeds when you're getting your unofficial speeds from twitter?

It's NetflixHelps, which is an official Netflix Twitter feed, and not just some random poster.

Those are "suggested" speeds. We all know you can stream with less, but that's what Netflix recommends/suggests (similar to how software is labeled with "minimum" and "suggested" requirements).
mproper is offline  
post #37 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Not to belabor the point... But the guy started out by claiming 1.5Mbps *absolute minimum.*

Not the same as saying "suggested" speeds.

In any case, sorry again for trying to give people more accurate information. Won't happen again.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline  
post #38 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 16,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

That said, I know for a fact you can stream at less than 1500, and that you don't need 30% ahem headroom for streaming to all devices.

I'm fairly certain that they all need some headroom (a pretty common engineering term), though maybe not all need 30%. The PS3, for instance, uses some very good adaptive bit rate tech; I doubt that it requires a huge amount of headroom to start streaming the next highest bit rate encoding because it can fairly quickly and seamlessly fall back to lower bit rate encodings if bandwidth available on the connection decreases. The players which have to do a lengthy rebuffer operation need the headroom.

Without any bandwidth headroom no buffer can accumulate and when bandwidth decreased a player would immediately have to stop playback and wait to buffer enough to continue.

Netflix streams are pretty damn variable rate as well, with very big bandwidth spikes. I monitored some in my router's realtime bandwidth usage display (see this); I saw peaks of 13 Mbps in HD streams.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #39 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 16,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 459
You can see my report on the Panny DMP-BDT110 here, with many little bandwidth graphs snapped from my router's monitor.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #40 of 47 Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Newbie
 
electriceccent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used the latest Roku for the last two years. Constant smearing, restart, drop outs and overall a pic that never went beyond DVD quality at best. This on a 4MB line that I expected little of...quality wise.

Got a Samsung BD-ES6000, on clearance by Walmart. Only got it for the 3D capability. But noted great Blu Ray performance over all.
What I was not expecting was EXCELLENT Netflix reception. We now have a pic that never drops. Not only that, the quality appears as Blu Ray at all times.

Thus, Samsung must be using a significant amount of RAM to buffer, allowing me to see only the finished product, microseconds to seconds later. I have always wanted Roku to do this, but they have not.

The difference to the viewer is not subtle. It is startling, on old trite "Day and Night" difference.

I literally am putting the HD XS in the closet, as I would not want it's pic even in a bedroom or porch. Bravo Samsung !
electriceccent is offline  
post #41 of 47 Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceccent View Post

I used the latest Roku for the last two years. Constant smearing, restart, drop outs and overall a pic that never went beyond DVD quality at best. This on a 4MB line that I expected little of...quality wise.

Got a Samsung BD-ES6000, on clearance by Walmart. Only got it for the 3D capability. But noted great Blu Ray performance over all.
What I was not expecting was EXCELLENT Netflix reception. We now have a pic that never drops. Not only that, the quality appears as Blu Ray at all times.

Thus, Samsung must be using a significant amount of RAM to buffer, allowing me to see only the finished product, microseconds to seconds later. I have always wanted Roku to do this, but they have not.

The difference to the viewer is not subtle. It is startling, on old trite "Day and Night" difference.

I literally am putting the HD XS in the closet, as I would not want it's pic even in a bedroom or porch. Bravo Samsung !

Thanks for resurrecting a 2 year old thread. Roku has moved on, the XS probably does belong in your closet.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #42 of 47 Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Newbie
 
electriceccent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, got the model wrong. It is the Roku 2 XD, which is still second in their present line up.

Have no idea what the 3 is like.

However, Roku would have to dedicate major memory and complete processing to even come close to the pic quality that I now have. In addition, their are many marketed similar items by other companies, that work at or below the quality of the 2 XD. The value of this post is for people who do not have the luxury of 25MB or faster urban connections. Rather, the update was for persons who are still struggling with access by slower speeds.

I certainly appreciate the obvious difference between two methods that are both being sold in today's market. The method that Samsung is using makes an internet video delivery go from poor and mostly unusable to a constant level of excellent. That is all I care about.
electriceccent is offline  
post #43 of 47 Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceccent View Post

Sorry, got the model wrong. It is the Roku 2 XD, which is still second in their present line up.

Have no idea what the 3 is like.

However, Roku would have to dedicate major memory and complete processing to even come close to the pic quality that I now have. In addition, their are many marketed similar items by other companies, that work at or below the quality of the 2 XD. The value of this post is for people who do not have the luxury of 25MB or faster urban connections. Rather, the update was for persons who are still struggling with access by slower speeds.

I certainly appreciate the obvious difference between two methods that are both being sold in today's market. The method that Samsung is using makes an internet video delivery go from poor and mostly unusable to a constant level of excellent. That is all I care about.

I understand why you're unhappy with your Roku 2, I owned the Roku 1 XD and swore I'd never buy another Roku. But when the Roku 3 came out I eventually broke down and bought it. The improvement was like night and day. I currently have 4 streamers in my setup including the WDTV Live, Apple TV 3, Panasonic 210 Blu-ray player and the Roku 3. Today the Roku 3 is the one I use the most. My download speed is 15 Mbps.

Glad the Samsung app is working out for you.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #44 of 47 Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I have both a Roku 2 XD and a Panasonic smart BD player hooked up to the same TV. I bought the Roku since it has more programs and flexibility. As far as the PQ is concerned, both devices offer similar performance, very good HD quality, and I rarely have buffering issues. I'm using Optimum and WIFI through a Netgear N600 router with an average 18-20 MBPS download speed.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #45 of 47 Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Newbie
 
electriceccent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe that we continue to compare neanderthal services to common expected service. I drool when someone mentions 15 to 25 MB service. I must refer back to my standard, which is the standard for most of NM, and that is 4 MBS through Centurylink/Qwest phone service. Comcast xfinity and other services are not available for over 85 miles in all directions.

So, my comments are very specific to which device works best with the slowest. At 4MB, and momentary drop outs of service, it is hard to find anything that gives a constant, let alone quality picture.

Just yesterday, I received the Sharp LC-70LE847U 70" Class Quattron LED Smart 3D TV. Its net received was worse than the Roku.
But, with the method that the Samsung player is using, using a lot of internal memory, allowing the stream to build up and be constant, the new LED screen looks fantastic. So, just saying that the particular store and release method that the Samsung is using is perfect for an area with POOR speeds.

Someday, they might bring an HD cable and high speed internet down I25 in NM. BTW, Comcast says "never".
electriceccent is offline  
post #46 of 47 Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceccent View Post

I believe that we continue to compare neanderthal services to common expected service. I drool when someone mentions 15 to 25 MB service. I must refer back to my standard, which is the standard for most of NM, and that is 4 MBS through Centurylink/Qwest phone service. Comcast xfinity and other services are not available for over 85 miles in all directions.

So, my comments are very specific to which device works best with the slowest. At 4MB, and momentary drop outs of service, it is hard to find anything that gives a constant, let alone quality picture.

Just yesterday, I received the Sharp LC-70LE847U 70" Class Quattron LED Smart 3D TV. Its net received was worse than the Roku.
But, with the method that the Samsung player is using, using a lot of internal memory, allowing the stream to build up and be constant, the new LED screen looks fantastic. So, just saying that the particular store and release method that the Samsung is using is perfect for an area with POOR speeds.

Someday, they might bring an HD cable and high speed internet down I25 in NM. BTW, Comcast says "never".

Seems like a good alternative given your service provider. Reminds me of Netflix before they converted over to their adaptive streaming mode. In the early days you would click on a Netflix movie and wait for your device to buffer enough data to start playing the film. However there were times the buffer would empty faster than it would fill causing the movie to stop, buffer, play, stop, buffer, play. Irritating to say the least.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #47 of 47 Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Newbie
 
CenturyLinkHelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
electriceccent,

We understand how frustrating service issues can be and would like to help. Our team can check for faster speeds and any future planned upgrades.
Please send account details via the link http://*******/IArNlt for further assistance.

Regards,
Patti
CenturyLink Help Team
CenturyLinkHelp is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off