Is it better to use ROKU HD XR or a Blu Ray player to stream movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 11-27-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Directv and blu ray disc players but want to stream Netfix video/movies. Is there any advantage to buy a separate ROKU device for HD or would I be better buying the Samsung Blu ray player to connect? Are there pros and cons to either. Thanks \\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 11-28-2009, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
imo, the separate box is the "better" solution... for a few reasons:

- the roku box also allows you access to the roku channels... this may or may not be of value to you... similar functionality may also become available on other hardware as well in the future, rendering this point moot...

- you already have a bluray player...

- i'm not a fan of "multi-function" devices in cases like this... but that's personal preference...

one man's opinion, anyway... the roku box is cheap enough... i've my roku hd box for a long time, and it is probably the biggest "bang for the buck" a/v component i've ever bought... i use it a LOT...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 47 Old 11-28-2009, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your opinion. That is the value of this forum, and I appreciate your answer.
I assume I can hook the Roku directly into the a/v receiver via HDMI and use it as a separate input media. The price is definitely right. Thanks again.
post #4 of 47 Old 11-28-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

you are welcome...

yup... it's just another source as far as the avr is concerned...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #5 of 47 Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
in that case get an apple tv, does as much as a roku plus has itunes
post #6 of 47 Old 11-28-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ummm...

i own an atv, have for a long time... got one in my a/v rack right now... and no, it doesn't do what the roku box does (or, for that matter a standalone bdp with netflix streaming enabled does)...

you seem to be misunderstanding what the op is looking for... the op is looking for netflix streaming...

you might want to read for content...

- chris

post #7 of 47 Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

ummm...

i own an atv, have for a long time... got one in my a/v rack right now... and no, it doesn't do what the roku box does (or, for that matter a standalone bdp with netflix streaming enabled does)...

you seem to be misunderstanding what the op is looking for... the op is looking for netflix streaming...

you might want to read for content...

The Apple TV does seem to be limited, particularly working with other services.
post #8 of 47 Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post

in that case get an apple tv, does as much as a roku plus has itunes

Apple TV doesn't get Netflix. The Roku gets Pandora plus a lot more internet channels. Also the Apple TV is much more expensive than the Roku.

So your post is phail!

OP, since you already have a Blu-Ray player, get the Roku.
post #9 of 47 Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 AM

If you want Netflix roku is an option

But I would not trade my ATV for one

Oh and ATV has internet radio also, many channels in fact + Itunes + youtube +movies + tv + podcasts
post #10 of 47 Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post

I see now this is how you amass a large post count, I'm not posting to you, please don't post to me,

Please read the original question - which is better for streaming (Netflix) movies a Roku HD XR or a Blu-Ray player.

Now clearly neither an Apple TV or a Blu-Ray disc is the answer - they can't stream Netflix (not knocking the Apple TV - as an Itunes/Ipod Touch user I really like the Apple products and I want to purchase a Blu-Ray player - see below).

The original question is a good one and worth getting opinions from people who can make an informed answer - let's get back to the topic.

I am streaming Netflix and Zune HD 1080P Smooth Streaming thru an XBOX 360 (which works well and looks good) - but I am considering LG BD390 for Blu-Ray, Vudu and Netflix.

I would be very interested in informed opinions on whether a a Roku HD XR or a Blu-Ray player (or XBOX 360) is better for streaming Netflix.
post #11 of 47 Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM

Well if I had a bluray player which the op says he does, I would get the Roku as it would seem to have additional features somewhat similar to an ATV (oops)

Now since Roku had their 1/2 price sale at $65, it would be hard for me to pay more than that.
post #12 of 47 Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 285
if you guys want to bicker please move to a different forum: not AVS

posts deleted

Thanks

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #13 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Here, here! Browsing through the thread, I still don't see this question answered and it is precisely what I would like to know: do blu-ray players with Netflix stream in 1080p or not. I have had the original Roku since it was first available and it is great. However, I have projector and a fairly large screen and the difference between 720p and 1080p is quite real. I need to decide whether I should upgrade to a RokuHD, given that I have an LG blu-ray that streams Netflix. Thanks for any clarification.

There must be a technical answer here: yes or no!

John
post #14 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcheware View Post

There must be a technical answer here: yes or no!

No. The only Netflix player doing 1080p/5.1 at the moment is the PS3, but there are reports that the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BD player is as well.

That doesn't mean the Roku CAN'T do it, as it's certainly capable....it's just they aren't feeding those streams to it at the moment. They could be tomorrow or next week, but nothing's been announced, so it could also be months from now.
post #15 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I have a Samsung 6500 Blu Ray as well as ATV2 and Roku--but I seem to get way better performance from the stand-along boxes. I tried a Vudu HD plus movie on the Samsung--fortunately a free one--and got bumped down to HD. Yesterday I got MLB.TV--which for some reason does stream Spring Training games to the Samsung--Roku app has not been updated to allow that. But quality is not that good and I get a lot of buffering artifacts--even wired--and I have a good connection so I don't have a lot of faith on the Samsung to deliver solid streaming performance. Both of the other two devices preform fine with wireless connections.

Bob

post #16 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM

I think I may wait for the LG SmartTV bluray players to come out to get netflix as well as other streaming services and DLNA to access local media on your PC. I believe Samsung may be inplementing this as well into their bluray players and TVs. This seems to be the trend. I am not sure what the streaming Netflix quality of bluray players are. I thought it was simply based on the signal strength/bandwidth of the connection.

DB
post #17 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

In theory, I'm sure they all should work the same but there are a lot of variables in how well a product interfaces with the Internet--and your gateway--some do it better than others. Buffering is also something that can help smooth out some inconsistencies in your download speed--I really don't think my Samsung does it as well as ATV or Roku.

Bob

post #18 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwarren View Post

I have Directv and blu ray disc players but want to stream Netfix video/movies. Is there any advantage to buy a separate ROKU device for HD or would I be better buying the Samsung Blu ray player to connect? Are there pros and cons to either. Thanks \\

Here are my experiences with a Roku HD and a LG 570 BD player:

First, the Roku will stop and rebuffer during playback. So, for about 10-15 seconds playback stops and you are looking at a progress bar. I also noticed that once it buffered to a lower speed, it would not resume a faster stream until I either stopped playback completely and restarted or chose something else to watch. On the other hand, the LG never rebuffers but the picture quality will change during playback, sometimes drastically. It can get pretty bad for a minute or two but it never stops playback. As soon as the stream rate increases, the picture quality will improve. It's all done in real time. So for ease of playback, I give the nod to the LG. For picture quality, I give a slight nod to the Roku at lower stream rates, but at the highest stream rates the picture quality is equal.

Second, my Roku suffers from a HDCP glitch that Roku apparently cannot fix. Do a search on Roku and green screen for full details. My unit started suffering that fate a little over two months after I bought it. Roku refused to let me return it or give me credit to upgrade to an XD/S model, which has component out and would allow me to use it on my display. Unfortunately, I'm now stuck with a Roku that works perfectly on every other TV I've tested it on except mine.

Third, the Roku's interface is much nicer than the LG. Both do essentially the same thing, but the Roku is much easier to navigate. The Roku remote is really cool, too. It's so simple a three-year-old could use it.

My bottom line is that I loved the Roku when it worked for me, but their poor customer service left me disappointed in their product. The LG's Netflix playback is working fine for us now even if it does lack search capability, which the Roku has.
post #19 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Funny that the operation of your Roku sounds a lot like my Samsung Blu Ray. Where as I have not had any buffering problems with my Roku XD S. Each situation is different--and results seem to widely vary.

Bob

post #20 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

Here are my experiences with a Roku HD and a LG 570 BD player:

First, the Roku will stop and rebuffer during playback. So, for about 10-15 seconds playback stops and you are looking at a progress bar. I also noticed that once it buffered to a lower speed, it would not resume a faster stream until I either stopped playback completely and restarted or chose something else to watch. On the other hand, the LG never rebuffers but the picture quality will change during playback, sometimes drastically. It can get pretty bad for a minute or two but it never stops playback. As soon as the stream rate increases, the picture quality will improve. It's all done in real time. So for ease of playback, I give the nod to the LG. For picture quality, I give a slight nod to the Roku at lower stream rates, but at the highest stream rates the picture quality is equal.

Third, the Roku's interface is much nicer than the LG. Both do essentially the same thing, but the Roku is much easier to navigate. The Roku remote is really cool, too. It's so simple a three-year-old could use it.

I agree with the above. I have a ROKU HD(older model that outputs ONLY at 720p HD), and a Panasonic BD-65 Blu-Ray player which is set at 1080i. Both are connected to my 40" LCD through HDMI.

With the ROKU, if there is a drop in download bandwidth, it will go to the loading screen, drop from 4 dots(or 4 dots HD) down to two(CRUD!), and sometimes one(BLECH!), and then start playing again. Kind of annoying.

The Panny BD-65 won't do this, and also offers to boot:

1. VUDU
2.CinemaNow
3. Netflix
4. Amazon

This is a wide variety to choose from. But when using CinemaNow, I noticed that the movie will keep playing, even if the level(4 green square dots means Best/max picture) drops during playback.

You can notice it in the picture, but the movie does not stop, and only after a few minutes(not all the time), the picture goes back to it's best after being down around 2, or 1 green square dot filled.

I have TWC broadband which is "supposed" to be at 7Mbps download, with bursts up to 10Mbps. I live in a pretty rurual area, so I guess it must depend on how many people are on the line, but it averages I would guess around 3-5Mbps. Usually more, but if I had to make an average on it, that would be close.

Anyway, they are connected hard wire via Belkin Powerline adapters(200MB max pass through, although real world numbers are at around 40Mbps max dowload passthrough. MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR ANYONE!).

This setup has worked fine, for the most part. I was thinking on moving BOTH the router(Belkin G), and cable modem(ZOOM Docisis 3.0) to another part of the house so that they will be closer to one another to see if that helps with speed going through the Powerline adapters(also, it would cut out a splitter or two from the incoming cable. The original router/modem are on the other side of the house from teh Blu-Ray/ROKU, so I would them both to be more centrally located).

Anyway, that is my experience with them. I say go for BOTH You can get a leftover/Open Box(shelf display usually) Panny BD-65 or BD-85 now at Best Buy for next to nothing. And the ROKU XD(this one does 1080p) for only $80+tax+shipping. The HD(720p only) version is even cheaper at $60+tax+shipping. If you have a 42" LCD/plasma TV or smaller, you really won't notice much of a difference between 720p, or the 1080p model, but that is my opinion. Others will disagree.
post #21 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

Funny that the operation of your Roku sounds a lot like my Samsung Blu Ray. Where as I have not had any buffering problems with my Roku XD S. Each situation is different--and results seem to widely vary.

That is interesting. I was led to understand that the three Roku models are identical for playback. So are you saying that your Samsung playback will stop when buffering but your Roku XD/S does not stop when buffering? Do you ever notice the picture quality change during playback on your Roku?
post #22 of 47 Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think it certainly depends on the situation, your displays and set-up. I have had three Roku units for nearly two years with not a single problem (yes, from time to time, re-buffering does occur but all my units are hard wired and it almost never happens, except during peak hours and even then, I would say two or three times a month but I watch dozens and dozens of films so the percentage is extremely low). One unit is the XR that has been upgraded to 1080p (via firmware) which it handles nicely (the few You Tube and other examples that I have found) and does a nice job with 5.1 from Amazon VOD. The units are connected to a 37" 720 LCD, a 34" 1080i CRT and a 65" 1080p plasma and all exhibit excellent PQ. Overall, I would give the little boxes a 9.7 our of 10 and I'm extremely glad I bought them.

post #23 of 47 Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 AM

Liked: 12
I had a Roku XD|S and wound up returning it and getting a Sony BDP370.

I wanted to stream Netflix and other services to my bedroom but, with the Roku, connecting, much less getting good picture quality, was often hit or miss. The Roku people were polite and helpful but their suggestions didn't change matters.

Out of curiosity and as a test, I moved the Roku to my living room where my PS3 has no trouble streaming Vudu HDX. It was better than my bedroom but still not very good. And besides, I bought it for the bedroom.

So I returned it to Roku (getting a refund required going through PayPal's dispute resolution process but that's another story for another time) and got the Sony. It cost $10 more than the Roku but I had to buy the Wifi dongle which set me back another $65.

Still, I'm very happy with it. It does everything I want streaming-wise plus I can watch Blu-Rays and listen to CDs and stream music to my bedroom.
post #24 of 47 Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

That is interesting. I was led to understand that the three Roku models are identical for playback. So are you saying that your Samsung playback will stop when buffering but your Roku XD/S does not stop when buffering? Do you ever notice the picture quality change during playback on your Roku?

I have had the Samsung the longest--since September. So I really don't have a long track record yet with either the Roku or the ATV. So far, I have had no streaming problems with Roku--no buffering hesitations which happen all the time on the Samsung. I need to watch a few more movies on Roku to know for sure--with both Amazon and Netflix. I've really only watched TV shows--Merlin from Netflix and Castle and Justified from Amazon--both services on Roku were excellent both with video and sound (but of course no 5.1 for Netflix). I don't think Merlin is in HD--season one--but PQ was still good. PQ and sound on Amazon was very good. Also, I should be able to get a pretty good comparison next month when Roku adds MLB.tv so I can compare Roku to Samsung. Right now, the quality on the Samsung is not all that great for the spring training games I've watched but it is hard to tell if the problem is with Samsung or MLB.

Bob

post #25 of 47 Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Similar question:

But the "what if" is different:

I do not have a blu-ray player (or any blu-ray DVDs). However, my wife just told me our DVD player has finally died.

So, given that I need a new player - would it be better for me to get a dedicated Roku HD for netflix streaming AND a decent blu-ray player
-or-

should I get a mid-high end blu-ray player with netflix capability?
post #26 of 47 Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Jedi,

I'd just get a ps3.
post #27 of 47 Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Some of the Panny BD players are running what appears to be the same Netflix player as the PS3 (which is HTML5 based and apparently highly dynamically updatable). I've decided on impulse to give it a try. If I like it, I'm returning the Roku I bought this week (I bought it mostly because I was interested in having access to Amazon streaming and the BD player also has that).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #28 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Some of the Panny BD players are running what appears to be the same Netflix player as the PS3 (which is HTML5 based and apparently highly dynamically updatable). I've decided on impulse to give it a try. If I like it, I'm returning the Roku I bought this week (I bought it mostly because I was interested in having access to Amazon streaming and the BD player also has that).

I'm interested in what you find out. Let us know!

FWIW - PS3 isn't an option for us - we've got little buddies and don't want them to get any more attached to the TV than they already are...

Another question - according to speed test - my download speed is @ 4.8 mbs. Is this fast enough for HD content via Roku XD or a blu-ray like the Panny BD mentioned above?
post #29 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwarren View Post

I have a Sony Blu ray player and a Roku Box. The Roku box is much, much better than the Blu ray player for streaming. Roku box has many more options and, in my opinion, far easier to use. I can use either the Sony or the Roku as they are both beside each other, I always use the Roku for streaming.
post #30 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Sasquatch View Post

FWIW - PS3 isn't an option for us - we've got little buddies and don't want them to get any more attached to the TV than they already are...

Another question - according to speed test - my download speed is @ 4.8 mbs. Is this fast enough for HD content via Roku XD or a blu-ray like the Panny BD mentioned above?

Yes. 4.8 is fast enough for HD.

As for the PS3 comment, we've got kids too. We just don't let them play it.

-Suntan
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page