post #271 of 3236 Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Chainsaw View Post

Winter Soldier. First-hand accounts of atrocities commited by US soldiers in Vietnam. Not for the squeemish. Be prepared to no longer support the troops.

As a Viet Vet, I am personally offended by your post.. as well, there should be a documentary that reveals the other side of the fence. You have no idea the degree of depravity the N. Vietnamese were capable of.

It was a war. With a draft that brought a certain percentage of folks in that were unstable to begin with.

This does not mean that there were not honorable men and women who served their country with honor and dignity.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3236 Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Also (not wanting to go off topic), I wasn't aware the exact same people during that time period are in the military today.
post #273 of 3236 Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed today that Wallace and Gromit have made an appearance:
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Walla...?trkid=1537786
I love these shorts.

And I saw this one that I had not heard of before:
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Walla...?trkid=1537786

Mitch
post #274 of 3236 Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Looks like The Godfather is coming soon. I hope it's in HD.
post #275 of 3236 Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Yep and about 3,000 more on 9/1.

I watched Red Cliff last night and it's pretty good, lots of martial arts.
post #276 of 3236 Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

I was going to watch Red Cliff, but saw there's a much longer 2-disc Blu-Ray (International Version) available at Netflix, so I'm going to watch that instead.
post #277 of 3236 Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

I wouldn't expect too much. I saw it on Blu-ray and it looked bad.
post #278 of 3236 Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If you are interested in movie making and especially the art in other cultures I would highly recommend "Nollywood Babylon". Nigeria is the third largest film producing country behind India and the US. Films are sold in the street and in shops on VCD.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Nolly...bylon/70113936
post #279 of 3236 Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Liked: 10
Movies I recommend watching:
Triangle - decent thriller. It expires this month
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - very good TV series that was on Fox
Masters of Horror - Showtime horror TV series
post #280 of 3236 Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - very good TV series that was on Fox

I loved that series, which sadly only got 31 episodes before getting sh*t-canned at the end of its second (first full) season (while the insipid Dollhouse, another midseason replacement, got picked up again before inevitably being dropped in the middle of the next season ). T:TSCC ends on a jaw dropping cliffhanger; I'm rarely surprised by television plots and that one shocked the crap out of me .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #281 of 3236 Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Yeah sad when quality shows are cancelled. I am p1ssed that 24 got canned, one of the best TV series ever. I just started watching season 2 of T:TSCC. Its starting off better than the first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I loved that series, which sadly only got 31 episodes before getting sh*t-canned at the end of its second (first full) season (while the insipid Dollhouse, another midseason replacement, got picked up again before inevitably being dropped in the middle of the next season ). T:TSCC ends on a jaw dropping cliffhanger; I'm rarely surprised by television plots and that one shocked the crap out of me .

post #282 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched and highly recommend "Vincere":
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Vincere/70118770

This was the movie I tried to watch on the weekend and gave up because it is offered in HD. On the weekend it would play about 2 minutes in HD and stop and reconnect with a less than HD stream. I tried again after 10 PM but the same thing happened. Last night no glitches, HD all two hours. My bet is that Netflix does not have the resources yet to deliver on weekends for everyone that wants an HD stream.

I'll leave my HD streaming on weekends for Vudu and probably CinemaNow because if their resources are used up they won't rent you the movie. And I try to stage my disc rentals for the weekend where it is a moot point. After glitches on Netflix on Friday I watched a movie on Vudu in HD no glitches.
post #283 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched and highly recommend "Vincere":
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Vincere/70118770

This was the movie I tried to watch on the weekend and gave up because it is offered in HD. On the weekend it would play about 2 minutes in HD and stop and reconnect with a less than HD stream. I tried again after 10 PM but the same thing happened. Last night no glitches, HD all two hours. My bet is that Netflix does not have the resources yet to deliver on weekends for everyone that wants an HD stream.

I'll leave my HD streaming on weekends for Vudu and probably CinemaNow because if their resources are used up they won't rent you the movie. And I try to stage my disc rentals for the weekend where it is a moot point. After glitches on Netflix on Friday I watched a movie on Vudu in HD no glitches.

With the growth of Netflix, and the popularity of the streams, it does not surprise me .. it's the best value out there, especially the $9 plan.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #284 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

With the growth of Netflix, and the popularity of the streams, it does not surprise me .. it's the best value out there, especially the $9 plan.

I haven't really had many issues.... a couple times over the last couple of weeks it started off at 2 or 3 bars, but switched back to 4 (or HD) within 10 minutes or so.

I agree though: the popularity is skyrocketing...it wouldn't surprise me if they are starting to have some issues trying to keep up:

Note that the chart above is just Feedfliks subscribers, but should be somewhat representative of the big picture.
post #285 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
That makes sense.

I was originally on the 3-DVD plan, then switched to 2-Blu Ray plan (it was about the same price). Now I'm down to 1 Blu Ray at a time. I watch more instantly than on Blu-Ray.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm primarily using Netflix to get new releases, and right now there aren't that many new releases that I didn't already see in the theater. I just spent about 30 minutes going over Blu Ray release dates and could barely find many to add to my queue.

I just hope the quality (cinematic, not bitrate) of the films on watch instantly goes up soon. There's a lot of trash.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #286 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've personally not had any streaming issues myself .. even with Starz ..

The thing is, folks are just craving a way to cut the expensive cable cord. Netfilx is giving them some alternative .. not fully an alternative, but a taste.

If somehow a reasonably priced package could be put together like what's being done at nowtv.com .. which is offering some real a la carte selection .. I'd lap it up ..

Uncle Willie

post #287 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't think Netflix is getting enough credit for it streaming titles. I've been a movie fanatic for well over 45 years and have seen an outrageous amount of movies of all types and genres. I wasn't sure if it would be worth it to join for just that reason but after joining four months ago I have been amazed at just how many really goo, new (for me) films I've seen and the fact that so many good ones ARE available to stream (ones that I have already seen). Maybe people just don't take enough chances when picking a movie or don't know enough about them to take that chance. There are all kinds of film anthologies like Video Hound's Independent Film Guide or The Phantom's Ultimate Video Guide or Guide for the Film Fanatic to name a few that offer short, concise synopsis' of thousands of films that could help with making choices. Heck metacritic.com is a great place to find great films. They list the top 100 best rated films of all time, the top 100 worst rated films plus they list all the award winning films from just about any critic's organization or societies from the year 2000 up till now. Now of course my recommendations are based on my opinion but Netflix streams like A Town Called Panic, Paper Heart, Savage Grace, Bright Star, Intermission, Battleground, Waco:The Rule of Engagement, The Maid, The Last September, The Most Dangerous Game, 3:10 to Yuma (original), The Devil Came on Horseback, Surveillance, The Most Dangerous Man in America, The Plague Dogs, Mary and Max, Hunger, The Greatest, Kicking It, The Damned United, 35 Shots of Rum, Goodbye, Solo, Silent Light, Under the Sand, The 4D Man, Sound and Fury, Man Push Cart, Hell House, Chop Shop, The Stoning of Soraya M., Helvetica, Werwolf of London, Art and Copy, The Girl on the Train, The Velveteen Rabbit, How About You, Every Little Step, The Rape of Europa, Mine, Then She Found Me, Hearts and Minds, Thirst, Right At Your Door, Ratcatcher, A Boy and His Dog, The September Issue, Sunshine Cleaning, Them (not the sci-fi flick, though that's a great one, too) are just a few that run the gamut of every type of film you can think of that you might enjoy. I was seeing so many good flicks available (ones that I already have seen) it made me want to go through the categories and make a list to post on this thread so other film geeks would get a chance to discover some of these gems I've already seen. And to think it can only get better. To me, for $9 bucks, nothing anywhere compares. Let's just hope things don't change too quickly because it seems that a good thing never lasts. (keeping my fingers crossed.)

post #288 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I agree, and I love Netflix also. BUT, I hope they can somehow increase their bandwidth. There are times when I can't stream a movie in HD because there are too many people streaming in HD at the same time. It's not my internet speed.
post #289 of 3236 Old 08-17-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

There are times when I can't stream a movie in HD because there are too many people streaming in HD at the same time. It's not my internet speed.

It could be due to any network congestion in the path between your system and their server.

post #290 of 3236 Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 AM

True I have never had problems with netflix streaming. I always get 4 bars from my 360.

Quote:

It could be due to any network congestion in the path between your system and their server.

post #291 of 3236 Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ran speed tests from several servers when I had a problem getting Netflix to stream an HD movie. All of them showed my usual speed around 5.3 mbps on a 6 mbps service so no traffic congestion. I just think that Netflix is bumping an HD viewer when demand gets high. AND going to Vudu had no problem streaming movie in HD. And they seem to be locked into VC1 encoding which seems to be less efficient than h.264 requiring a higher bitrate.
post #292 of 3236 Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM

No streaming problems since last fall here.
post #293 of 3236 Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

Watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand and it looks as good in the HD feed as uverse hd on stars.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand for sure!

Wishlist - Emotiva amp, 2nd SVS sub, Panamax PC/SP...well, there is more!
post #294 of 3236 Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM
KLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

There are times when I can't stream a movie in HD because there are too many people streaming in HD at the same time. It's not my internet speed.

this has just recently started to happen with me as well. between 9 and midnight a lot of nights, i bounce between hd and something less.
when i test my internet connection at those times they read just fine (20-30 mbps)
post #295 of 3236 Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I ran speed tests from several servers when I had a problem getting Netflix to stream an HD movie. All of them showed my usual speed around 5.3 mbps on a 6 mbps service so no traffic congestion.

This discussion doesn't belong here, so I answered in this post in the "Netflix streaming quality" thread.

post #296 of 3236 Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Yeah good show..looking forward to season 2. I hope the quality of video improves. It really needs to be in HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet View Post

Spartacus: Blood and Sand for sure!

post #297 of 3236 Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Thx for the suggestion as I like martial arts films. Netflix should try to ink a deal to bring more martial arts movies to streaming. If they can get shaw brothers martial arts movies added to streaming, that would be great. Shaw brothers were responsible for great martial arts classics like The Five Deadly Venoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

post #298 of 3236 Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

Yeah good show..looking forward to season 2. I hope the quality of video improves. It really needs to be in HD.

When it first posted to Netflix, it was in HD .. don't know when they moved it to SD ..

Uncle Willie

post #299 of 3236 Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 PM

War Dance
Excellent film about Ugandan school children, their struggle, and motivations
post #300 of 3236 Old 08-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

The Ghost and the Darkness.

for some reason they list it under horror LOL

story about lions in africa.

GREAT MOVIE and its based on a true story.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page