post #3181 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I think "True Detective" would qualify .. "The Killing" actually milked the first season into a second season and angered many because of it ..

So in the original Danish version of "The Killing" (whose name I think literally translates as "The Crime") the original mystery is solved in a single season?

Looking at the article about the Danish series on Wikipedia, I see that it's first season was 20 episodes long, the first 10 airing from January 7th through March 11th, and the second half airing from September 23rd through November 29th. The first two seasons of the US remake were 13 episodes long each, so it only stretched it out by 6 hours. There was a 1 year gap between the first episodes of the seasons so there was a longer wait to get to the end.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 07-07-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
So in the original Danish version of "The Killing" (whose name I think literally translates as "The Crime") the original mystery is solved in a single season?
Can't say, never watched it .. it's very difficult for me to enjoy anything subtitled .. not because I don't want to watch them, I just can't mentally process the subtitles and watch the show at the same time ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3183 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 303
Quote:
Yes, but it was 20 episodes in length that were aired in two 10 episode series/segments about 6 mos apart.

The episodes were around 55-57 mins in length versus the AMC version which probably ran around 40-41 mins.
post #3184 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, but it was 20 episodes in length that were aired in two 10 episode series/segments about 6 mos apart.

The episodes were around 55-57 mins in length versus the AMC version which probably ran around 40-41 mins.

Yeah--I saw that on Wikipedia and ammended my post with the information. I did not see the difference in episode length; given that told the story of the first crime in about the same number of minutes.

post #3185 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Can't say, never watched it .. it's very difficult for me to enjoy anything subtitled .. not because I don't want to watch them, I just can't mentally process the subtitles and watch the show at the same time ..
Many, many years ago I preferred to stay away from sub-titled content for pretty much the same reason. But then I discovered how much great content I was missing out on so I made the effort and became so accustomed to watching sub-titled content that I don't even really think about it anymore, it just feels natural to me. Took awhile to get there though.
post #3186 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Many, many years ago I preferred to stay away from sub-titled content for pretty much the same reason. But then I discovered how much great content I was missing out on so I made the effort and became so accustomed to watching sub-titled content that I don't even really think about it anymore, it just feels natural to me. Took awhile to get there though.
My problem really started once I passed 60 .. you know what they say, the eyes are the second thing to go ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3187 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah--I saw that on Wikipedia and ammended my post with the information. I did not see the difference in episode length; given that told the story of the first crime in about the same number of minutes.
Yeah, I figured it out once and I think both versions were very close in total run time. The Danish version was written and produced to air straight through at 55-57 mins and the AMC version would of course have had pre-defined break points for commercial insert, which means the director had to compensate for that when producing the episode. Geek stuff to be sure, but even with the sub-titles I felt the Danish version flowed better, possibly due in part to the presentation style.
post #3188 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
My problem really started once I passed 60 .. you know what they say, the eyes are the second thing to go ..
Haha, yes indeed!

mgkdragn likes this.
post #3189 of 3207 Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Haha, yes indeed!

OMG, it's Stanley Tucci!

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3190 of 3207 Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I'm 67 and have no problem with subtitles but here is a trick I found. Focus on the subtitles. You'll be surprised how much your peripheral vision will take in.

The high point last 5 minutes on many of the European shows often are something that are not even related to the episode storyline but come out of left field.

I also think we'd be able to see more foreign series if it wasn't for the half brain dead network CEOs who don't understand that only a small segment of the viewers care about seeing the original series and sitting through subtitles. They block the foreign version on some business school idea it will hurt their US remake.
post #3191 of 3207 Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
They block the foreign version on some business school idea it will hurt their US remake.

Do they actively "block" them or is it that no one is interested in importing them, given the small audience for subtitled foreign television? Netflix does have the original versions of The Bridge and The Killing available in other regions (curiously only English speaking regions right now, Canada, the UK and Ireland), but not in the US, so maybe there is some blocking going on.

I use a DNS-spoofing service to view titles from the Netflix libraries in other regions. I tried to use it to view Easy Money, a Swedish thriller, but at the time it was only available in Nordic regions and in those regions the only captions and subs available were in Nordic region languages . Now it's available in the UK and Ireland only.

post #3192 of 3207 Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think part of it is that media companies like MHz Netwoks buy up the re-broadcast and DVD distribution rights for the US. MHz used to air their content on a local college run station here in the SF bay area but apparently they've ceased doing so, even though the content was free to the station, so says MHz anyway.

Their DVD products are outrageously expensive, the last few episodes of Wallander are cheaper, even with shipping, from the UK than they are from MHZ and you don't get the typically poor transfer quality that I've seen with MHz releases. You'll need a multi-region player of course, but for someone who really enjoys international content it's well worth the investment, I think it was less than $150 to make my Oppo BDP-83 multi-region for both Blu-ray and DVD, a self-install that took maybe 15 mins.
post #3193 of 3207 Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I'm 67 and have no problem with subtitles but here is a trick I found. Focus on the subtitles. You'll be surprised how much your peripheral vision will take in.

The high point last 5 minutes on many of the European shows often are something that are not even related to the episode storyline but come out of left field.

I also think we'd be able to see more foreign series if it wasn't for the half brain dead network CEOs who don't understand that only a small segment of the viewers care about seeing the original series and sitting through subtitles. They block the foreign version on some business school idea it will hurt their US remake.
I'm 62 and have no problems with the subtitles, I mean we can read so much faster than it takes to speak the words anyway. But, the funny thing is I think the subtitles keep me more in the movie/shows. I'm forced to watch and it keeps my focus on the what I'm viewing whereas on English speaking shows I tend to drift off and get more distracted. It may be because of the subtitles that I like so many of the foreign shows so much better, I thought the Danish Forbrydelsen(The Killing) was so much better than the American version, same goes for Bron/Broen(The Bridge), but I am looking forward to the upcoming Season #2 of the US version of 'The Bridge'. I got so used to subtitles that I have them on all the time, no matter what language the show is in.
post #3194 of 3207 Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have never particularly liked subtitles; if I am going to watch a movie or show with subtitles, it needs to be one that would keep my attention. (On the Netflix 5-star system, it has to be at least 4 stars.) I find that when I am reading subtitles, I see less of what is happening in the movie.

I guess I had watched too many Japanese monster movies growing up; mouth out of synch with the dialog doesn't bother me when it comes to dubbing.

Even though I am just a couple months shy of my 32nd anniversary of my 29th birthday, I wouldn't say that I am stuck in my ways. After all, I went from preferring pan-and-scan to preferring OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) the day my main TV went from 24-in to 46-in (the predecessor to my current 50-in TV). In fact, right now I am enjoying Cool Hand Luke in OAR (2.35:1)! (Oops, off topic. Cool Hand Luke is from Netflix ... a mailed Blu-ray. Or can we call the Blu-ray disc a piece of "hardware", maybe even "video hardware"?)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 07-08-2014 at 09:35 PM.
post #3195 of 3207 Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
I have never particularly liked subtitles; if I am going to watch a movie or show with subtitles, it needs to be one that would keep my attention. (On the Netflix 5-star system, it has to be at least 4 stars.) I find that when I am reading subtitles, I see less of what is happening in the movie.

I guess I had watched too many Japanese monster movies growing up; mouth out of synch with the dialog doesn't bother me when it comes to dubbing.

Even though I am just a couple months shy of my 32nd anniversary of my 29th birthday, I wouldn't say that I am stuck in my ways. After all, I went from preferring pan-and-scan to preferring OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) the day my main TV went from 24-in to 46-in (the predecessor to my current 50-in TV). In fact, right now I am enjoying Cool Hand Luke in OAR (2.35:1)! (Oops, off topic. Cool Hand Luke is from Netflix ... a mailed Blu-ray. Or can we call the Blu-ray disc a piece of "hardware", maybe even "video hardware??)

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

post #3196 of 3207 Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Ian

Good Lord, I know we're drifting here but "Cool Hand Luke" is my all time favorite film .. and if anyone has not seen the Harry Dean Stanton doc on NF, it's worth a watch ..

post #3197 of 3207 Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I really like Paul Newman a lot, and Cool Hand Luke was a great movie. Two nights ago I streamed Slapshot (1974). Another great movie and quite funny. Later, Newman said that it was one of his favorite roles.
post #3198 of 3207 Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

When "Those Who Kill" launch last spring I noted that the original "Den Som Draeber" episodes on YouTube had takedown notices from FOX. If you want to know who is blocking just check for DMCA notices at the bottom of a Google search..
post #3199 of 3207 Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
I find subtitles are okay if I have the laptop off....but I often have my face half buried in here or other internet locations and then I miss key dialog....
Mark12547 likes this.

post #3200 of 3207 Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Though I don't have any particular hearing problem I usually have captions turned on when watching English language content and subtitled foreign language stuff doesn't bother me at all.

post #3201 of 3207 Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I use subtitle even for English shows. My hearing is fine. I just find a lot of dialogue in contemporary tv and movies muffled and overwhelmed by soundtrack and background noise.
post #3202 of 3207 Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I use subtitle even for English shows. My hearing is fine. I just find a lot of dialogue in contemporary tv and movies muffled and overwhelmed by soundtrack and background noise.

I find that to be true as well. Movie sound is designed to be played at high volume in theaters and doesn't always translate well into Dolby or DTS for home sound systems. I've seen subtitles pop up for distant dialog that was completely inaudible (usually not particularly important dialog, but still ...). Also in warm weather I have a noisy portable AC running the room along with a floor fan on it's highest settings.

post #3203 of 3207 Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I find that to be true as well. Movie sound is designed to be played at high volume in theaters and doesn't always translate well into Dolby or DTS for home sound systems. I've seen subtitles pop up for distant dialog that was completely inaudible (usually not particularly important dialog, but still ...). Also in warm weather I have a noisy portable AC running the room along with a floor fan on it's highest settings.
You live in San Diego and you don't have central air?

Ian

post #3204 of 3207 Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The house does, but there are dogs and a door is kept open all the time for them to get in and out. Not my house or I'd install a dog door.

post #3205 of 3207 Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Salamander is a 10-episode (subtitled) Belgian mini-series about the uncovering of a high-level conspiracy in that country. It's well-acted and beautifully photographed. I read that a US remake is in the works, and Season 2 has already started playing in Europe. Highly recommended.
+1

interesting series, glad to hear there'll be a 2nd
post #3206 of 3207 Old 07-11-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ian
I live in the hot East Bay but when I bought the house I was told it was prepped for central air. I asked the original owner why it was not put in and she said the through-the-wall unit did the job as it was really only hot enough for AC a few days in the summer. I also put on a new roof which really keeps the house cool in summer. I've talked to others in the area who didn't install central air for the same reason. A heat pump though might be more useful in winter. The showstopper for installing it here is that it would require an electrical upgrade. I wouldn't mind replacing the ancient GE AC unit with a quieter unit though.
post #3207 of 3207 Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i remember being stationed in San Diego in the late 60s, had an apartment with an in the wall gas furnace - think we used it for all of 2 weeks in February, and iirc, temps fell all the way "down" to the high 50s - low 60s. That was also the only month we saw any rain. The other 11 months seemed to maintain 85 degrees.

Only thing i didn't like about SD, there were no seasons - no leaves changing color etc - in that regard it was monotomous but otherwise loved the weather (had a convertible Pontiac GTO).
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page