post #3211 of 3236 Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
You haven't heard the quote (often and maybe incorrectly attributed to Mark Twain) "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

Now (around 5PM) it's about 59F in San Francisco.

Many people in the Bay Area (and indeed coastal California) don't have air conditioning - mind you it heats up pretty quickly once you move inland...
That's one of the fun parts about living in the SF bay area, all the microclimates and how weather can be radically different from one side of a hill to other and how fast the temperature can up or down. It sometimes makes it tough to know what to wear, the 10 years I visited my brother while he was living in the Park Presidio area I think I picked the right clothing only about 20% of the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3236 Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
You just didn't live the right place. Most of the trees planted in the area are green all year round, but some turn color and loose their leaves as the weather cools in the Fall. When I leaved in a HOA complex in Delmar Highlands, there was a sycamore just outside of my patio that dumped leaves all over it which I had to clean up. They'd stupidly planted fruiting plums along the streets in front of the townhome-style houses (which attract pests like tree rats --my landlord picked them and his old Russian mother would make great jam); at least sweeping up leaves falling off of those was in the purview of the gardening service.

Even here out in College Area there are trees which shed their leaves. Of course its nothing like the riot of color that you get in the Fall in the Northeast. When I lived in the Boston suburbs I recall that it was like fireworks overhead as you drove around through shaded avenues.
keep in mind my perspective was that of a 19-20 yr old, and basically my views were dominated by the view traveling to and from base to my apartment or on the beach with the routes lined with palm trees. I was only there for 6-7 months attending some comm schools and didn't travel out into the residential areas a lot, but even so, i still remember the drive down to Tijuana (yeah, had to make the prerequisite sailor's tour of downtown tijuana a couple of times) and the views of the sand dunes with & without cactus on either side of the interstate going thru Ysidro (iirc the name correctly) were totally foreign to me, coming from central Virginia.

Trust me, you do not want to compare leaf pickup in the fall.

Pretty area though and i did like the weather and the beaches.

Last edited by larryccf; 07-14-2014 at 06:02 PM.
post #3213 of 3236 Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
That's one of the fun parts about living in the SF bay area, all the microclimates and how weather can be radically different from one side of a hill to other and how fast the temperature can up or down. It sometimes makes it tough to know what to wear, the 10 years I visited my brother while he was living in the Park Presidio area I think I picked the right clothing only about 20% of the time!
When I lived in the San Fernando Valley I would drive up the boulevard to the Hollywood Freeway, and the temperature would drop almost ten degrees. When I drove out to Malibu, the sea breeze dropped the temperature almost another ten degrees.

Ian
tenthplanet likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3214 of 3236 Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
When I lived in the San Fernando Valley I would drive up the boulevard to the Hollywood Freeway, and the temperature would drop almost ten degrees. When I drove out to Malibu, the sea breeze dropped the temperature almost another ten degrees.

Ian
mailiang, tenthplanet and mgkdragn like this.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #3215 of 3236 Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM

did a google for this one and it didn't turn anything up, so i'll mention Coupling - a BBC comedy series, iirc 4 seasons, but addictively funny and well executed. Sarah Alexander isn't hard on the eyes either

fwiw

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK

Last edited by larryccf; 07-16-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #3216 of 3236 Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post
I tried adding that to my Q and the search turned up nothing .. got a link .. ??
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3217 of 3236 Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
did a google for this one and it didn't turn anything up, so i'll mention Coupling - a BBC comedy series, iirc 4 seasons, but addictively funny and well executed. Sarah Alexander isn't hard on the eyes either

fwiw

A thread search reveals that it's been mentioned in 9 other posts, though the last time was September 2011. I loved that series and wished that it was a little longer.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3218 of 3236 Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
A thread search reveals that it's been mentioned in 9 other posts, though the last time was September 2011. I loved that series and wished that it was a little longer.
Well, the writer and creator of Coupling is writing and the EP for Doctor Who and Sherlock, so he's been busy. And to get back to the thread, his other excellent series, Jekyll, sadly only 6 episodes were made, is on Netflix.
post #3219 of 3236 Old 07-17-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Ian
I've been in Santa Monica and gone to the Valley and it was 20 degrees hotter. Needless to say it's a good excuse to drive out of the valley

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3220 of 3236 Old 07-18-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I watched "Thale" last night which is a Norwegian horror film (with subtitles). If you liked some of the other quirky Scandinavian horror films Netflix has you'll probably like this one.
post #3221 of 3236 Old 07-19-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The Killing is back! Netflix has produced an additional 6 episodes to tie things up.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70180183?trkid=437879

Ian
pbarach likes this.

post #3222 of 3236 Old 07-19-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Difficult to believe that any fan of The Killing wouldn't have picked up on that by now, given that Netflix announced it 8 months ago.
Keenan likes this.

post #3223 of 3236 Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Difficult to believe that any fan of The Killing wouldn't have picked up on that by now, given that Netflix announced it 8 months ago.

But it's just being released NOW, and it's not like they sent their members an email about it.

Ian

post #3224 of 3236 Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
But it's just being released NOW, and it's not like they sent their members an email about it.
It's being released in 12 days. They added the first three seasons to the library in November; it was a featured selection in the new UI, which calls it a Netflix Original and proclaims that season 4 begins August 1st (if you select it in the new UI or the website it still says that). If you're reading this thread and a fan of the series there's a strong probability that you subscribe to its thread, where Netflix producing a new season has been long a topic.

Thanks for passing the information on, but it's probably not news to very many people here. Just bustin' your chops .

post #3225 of 3236 Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's being released in 12 days. They added the first three seasons to the library in November; it was a featured selection in the new UI, which calls it a Netflix Original and proclaims that season 4 begins August 1st (if you select it in the new UI or the website it still says that). If you're reading this thread and a fan of the series there's a strong probability that you subscribe to its thread, where Netflix producing a new season has been long a topic.

Thanks for passing the information on, but it's probably not news to very many people here. Just bustin' your chops .
To be honest with you Mike, I'm a big fan of the show, which I watched on AMC, and I don't subscribe to the thread you are referring to. I also don't have the latest UI on my 2013 S60 Panasonic TV or Roku 2. So until now, I had no indication of when they would be airing the final episodes, which I was really looking forward to.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-20-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #3226 of 3236 Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

And season 3 of "Continuum" will be available on the 26th. Syfy hasn't announced a renewal but NF chipped in on production for these rights so they might pick up season 4 if Syfy won't.

Funny thing about "The Killing" is a put the season 4 trailer in my queue but all I see is the old episodes. Same thing with the trailer for "Hemlock Grove."
post #3227 of 3236 Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They're just teasing you for Season 4, which doesn't start until the 1st of August. If you care about spoilers, I don't recommend watching that trailer. It basically tells you how they proceed from Lindens impulsive action at the end of last season's finale and what one of the major consequence is.

post #3228 of 3236 Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Season 3 of Continuum was available as of yesterday. I also like "13 Sins" which was added last week.
post #3229 of 3236 Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Season 3 of Continuum was available as of yesterday. I also like "13 Sins" which was added last week.
BIG fan of Continuum - first sci-fi series i've liked

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #3230 of 3236 Old 07-28-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What's not to like?

Ian

post #3231 of 3236 Old 07-28-2014, 03:42 PM

wow - didn't kw she was a blonde......but....wow

post #3232 of 3236 Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That amazes me. I watched the first season and a few episodes of the 2nd and my interest kind of fizzled out. I didn't hate it or anything, I just became indifferent.

The main character never struck me as being that hot (though that Maxim picture definitely is). She's certainly not the only hot woman in TV SciFi.

post #3233 of 3236 Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM

the wife unit saw her first episode tonite and said the same thing i had thought - she's got extremely subtle / delicate features - it's kind of invites my eyes to study her more. She actually looks quite a bit like my sister in law (as a brunette), but they definitely played her looks down with that brunette dye job.

but the writers did a heckuva job tying a lot of ends together, which helped me like it - i hate it when i can spot holes or disconnects in the script, even when i've had a few shots of scotch

post #3234 of 3236 Old 07-29-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 284
She has been in a couple of things. Gorgeous woman.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #3235 of 3236 Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 PM

and under the same SyFy heading, anybody watched or seen "Lost Girls" - the outline is kind of "intriguing":

"Discovering she's a succubus who sustains herself by feeding on the sexual energy of humans, seductive Bo sets out on a journey to understand herself."

apparently it's made it's way thru four seasons so someone likes it

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70227189?trkid=13641907

Last edited by larryccf; 07-29-2014 at 06:43 PM.
post #3236 of 3236 Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's Lost Girl--I watched a bit of it a while back; it's okay. About the quality of Warehouse 13, but the story's not as good. It was apparently added to Netflix's library in December 2012, so it's been around.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page