Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
post #3511 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Thanks to whoever mentioned "Black Mirror" .. as a Serling Twilight Zone fan, it's like an update .. just wish there were more than 6 episodes ..
lovinthehd likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Got thru the first 3 episodes of Marco Polo last night .. not too bad .. and I must say the PQ and SQ was great ..

Just finished Marco Polo. Writing and acting was good. Directing, photography, and UHD was excellent. We were watching something else last night when I realized I wasn't that impressed with the picture. Realized then that I had been watching Marco Polo during the day and that DTV normal network programming wasn't nearly as good. In fact, in my opinion, Marco Polo was definitely better than a normal quality Blu Ray.
post #3513 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Just finished Marco Polo. Writing and acting was good. Directing, photography, and UHD was excellent. We were watching something else last night when I realized I wasn't that impressed with the picture. Realized then that I had been watching Marco Polo during the day and that DTV normal network programming wasn't nearly as good. In fact, in my opinion, Marco Polo was definitely better than a normal quality Blu Ray.

The only minor nic I could give it was at times the vocal soundtrack was just not that distinct .. I was almost tempted to turn on subtitles .. not the fault of the stream but the accents themselves ..

It's funny that I also felt like Marco Polo himself was one of the least engaging characters .. go Bayan the Hundred Eyes ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3514 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
I've watched the first 3 eps so far and it does have some great image quality. The colors are just outstanding, especially some of the night and sunset/sunrise scenes. They've also done a great job with lighting in this series, both indoors and out.
post #3515 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Thanks to whoever mentioned "Black Mirror" .. as a Serling Twilight Zone fan, it's like an update .. just wish there were more than 6 episodes ..

Season 3 is starting on Directv soon, so I'd assume it would show on Nflix at some point.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #3516 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Same on a PS3 and PS4 ..
Yes, I must have been watching on someone else's(relative?) display where the overscan was setting was rather aggressive.
post #3517 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Season 3 is starting on Directv soon, so I'd assume it would show on Nflix at some point.
I guess 3 episodes each count as a Season in the UK .. at any rate, I'll take it ..

Uncle Willie

post #3518 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The only minor nic I could give it was at times the vocal soundtrack was just not that distinct .. I was almost tempted to turn on subtitles .. not the fault of the stream but the accents themselves ..

It's funny that I also felt like Marco Polo himself was one of the least engaging characters .. go Bayan the Hundred Eyes ..
Agree with both comments, I was turning subtitles on and off throughout the the 3 eps I've seen so far - was turning them off as they were too bright, especially during darker scenes, which this show has loads of. Isn't there a way to change the subtitle color?

And yeah, Marco is a rather dull character, at least through 3 eps he is.
post #3519 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Agree with both comments, I was turning subtitles on and off throughout the the 3 eps I've seen so far - was turning them off as they were too bright, especially during darker scenes, which this show has loads of. Isn't there a way to change the subtitle color?

And yeah, Marco is a rather dull character, at least through 3 eps he is.
He gets no less dull ..

After the first 3 or 4 episodes, I started to get more tuned in on the characters speaking habits and I notched up the center channel slightly as well .. and yes, under "Your Account" in NF, subtitle appearance has some adjustability ...

Uncle Willie

post #3520 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:

Hundred Eyes, the Empress and Sidao are by far the strongest performances and best written parts.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3521 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Hundred Eyes, the Empress and Sidao are by far the strongest performances and best written parts.
Without question!
post #3522 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
He gets no less dull ..

After the first 3 or 4 episodes, I started to get more tuned in on the characters speaking habits and I notched up the center channel slightly as well .. and yes, under "Your Account" in NF, subtitle appearance has some adjustability ...
Yup, found it, thanks to a year old post from Mr. Mike!
post #3523 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Copy that ...

Uncle Willie

post #3524 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Nice! http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/13/jo...cial-directtv/

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3525 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
He gets no less dull ..

I got so tired of the Marco Polo character, I deleted my season pass after Episode 1. For whatever reason,neither Marco nor the rest of the show resonated with me. Guess Game of Thrones spoiled me. Perhaps I need a little magic to leaven series set in olden times.
post #3526 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Why do people keep comparing this to GoT ??? Historical costume drama vs fantasy in a vaguely Euro-medieval setting.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3527 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I got so tired of the Marco Polo character, I deleted my season pass after Episode 1. For whatever reason,neither Marco nor the rest of the show resonated with me. Guess Game of Thrones spoiled me. Perhaps I need a little magic to leaven series set in olden times.
You know that's a high set bar to compare anything to .. I went into MP with fairly low expectations based on some of the pre-release reviews .. it took at least 2-3 episodes to really dig into it and being a photographer helped since the imagery is top end .. add a glass or two of vino and I was good to go ..

Uncle Willie

post #3528 of 3540 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I have one of those; nice to know. The cool thing about the "Super HD" designation is that there are still some HD titles on Netflix which are limited to 720p; on those devices those titles will be labelled simply "HD".
Some older Disney content which is going away January 4th, 2015 (not pleased about that at all) still has 720p only episodes.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #3529 of 3540 Unread Today, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1 netflix is not itune or amazon 2 imb is a good site for movie reviews netflix does not receive the best in hollywood cable and satellite get first choice Amazon iTunes get some of the lions share it all has to do with dollars why do you think comacst bought out time warner and att bought out directv it is all about the Benjamens the bigger you are the more power they have att has its uverse but with directv it now has more clout if you did some searching you would find that all though holywood has been broken up many years ago the studios have be come bigger now they own stations that is why we have to buy packages we dont want to help prop up looser station all be it i love the idea i got rid of my roku stick it became more of a chore to search for some thing to watch only to become board with the content after spend 30 minuets searching netflix stopped allowing third party's to link to there site some one had a site built for this very purpose
post #3530 of 3540 Unread Today, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 109
^^
Punctuation would be helpful--your post is hard to read...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #3531 of 3540 Unread Today, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The post was probably submitted via smart phone or mobile device. Most heavy SMS/Text users don't capitalize or use punctuation.

Doesn't make it easier to read though.
post #3532 of 3540 Unread Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
The post was probably submitted via smart phone or mobile device. Most heavy SMS/Text users don't capitalize or use punctuation.

I bet there are more posts coming in here from mobile devices than you think. Can you tell what kind of device I sent this message from?

Hint: It's a Galaxy S4 phone.
post #3533 of 3540 Unread Today, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
^^
Punctuation would be helpful--your post is hard to read...
I'm still looking for a "Gem or a Find" ..
lovinthehd likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #3534 of 3540 Unread Today, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Stage Fright. This one is a musical/horror movie. It's probably not for everyone but I sure enjoyed it.
www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70303707
post #3535 of 3540 Unread Today, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You know that's a high set bar to compare anything to .. I went into MP with fairly low expectations based on some of the pre-release reviews .. it took at least 2-3 episodes to really dig into it and being a photographer helped since the imagery is top end .. add a glass or two of vino and I was good to go ..
Comparing Marco Polo to the marvelous,maybe even historic, Game of Thrones was indeed unfair but surely by this time you have learned that I have a highly developed sense of unfairness. More seriously, my problem with Marco Polo was its star, the young Italian actor Lorenzo Richelmy. His performance simply didn't work for me.
post #3536 of 3540 Unread Today, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Comparing Marco Polo to the marvelous,maybe even historic, Game of Thrones was indeed unfair but surely by this time you have learned that I have a highly developed sense of unfairness. More seriously, my problem with Marco Polo was its star, the young Italian actor Lorenzo Richelmy. His performance simply didn't work for me.
Fully agree with your assessment of Lorenzo .. they should have cast someone like François Arnaud formerly of "The Borgias" .. I still believe if you can get past Lorenzo, the show is worth a watch ..

Uncle Willie

post #3537 of 3540 Unread Today, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Doesn't make their thoughts any more worthy than the effort expended, either.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3538 of 3540 Unread Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Fully agree with your assessment of Lorenzo .. they should have cast someone like François Arnaud formerly of "The Borgias" .. I still believe if you can get past Lorenzo, the show is worth a watch ..
Indeed, just about every other actor in the show is more engaging than him, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. Hopefully next season they age Marco and go with a different actor, someone who can hold his own with the other actors in the show as they are all outshining him at this point(5 eps).
post #3539 of 3540 Unread Today, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Seems I'm not the only one finding that recent Marco Polo episodes are defaulting to German for language. I'm going to report it as a "problem". On the new BD player UI it is easy to change but maybe not so for others.
post #3540 of 3540 Unread Today, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Stage Fright. This one is a musical/horror movie. It's probably not for everyone but I sure enjoyed it.
www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70303707
Good catch! Despite Stage Fright's abysmal 5.2 Stars out of 10 rating among IMDb voters, I decided to give it a shot anyway because I never met a musical about which I didn't find something to like and Stage Fright proved the point.

The film was so silly, it gave the word "camp" a bad name and the singing voices of its mostly young cast ranged from mediocre to awful. Nevertheless, some of the songs, written by the film's directer and writer, Jerome Sable, were very clever and often funny enough to make me laugh out loud. As you said, it's not for all tastes but for musical theater fans, at least those of us who are hard core enough to rise above its many weaknesses, Stage Fright is well worth spending the time it takes to sit through its 89 minute runtime.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page