Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 121 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #3601 of 3620 Old 01-21-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
It's not a bad film .. not great, but not bad .. the HBO series "Silicon Valley", however, is an excellent nerd comedy ..
I've seen "Silicon Valley" and some folks thought it was over the top but I thought Judge did a good job of satirizing the culture (yup, they really do act that way). But I just got back from Walmart and "The Internship" was in their bargain BD bin so now I have the BD and the code to watch it on VUDU if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Saw several stories that "The Interview" will be available on Netflix January 24. (The only Netflix links right now are for the disc version.)
And, as of this morning, it's available for streaming. For what it's worth
post #3603 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For reference, here is the link for The Interview.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3604 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Apology if this has been mentioned before, but I'm finishing up "The 100" Season One and it's not bad ..

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70303988?trkid=13641790

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3605 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Apology if this has been mentioned before, but I'm finishing up "The 100" Season One and it's not bad ..

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70303988?trkid=13641790
Same here. I'm up to Episode 11. Last night, the wife & I watched 3 episodes in a row. When I first started watching this series, I had told my wife I was a bit iffy on it, and needed to see more episodes before passing judgement. As the story and characters have developed, I've turned my opinions toward the positive side for The 100. As you said, not bad...not bad at all. I'd have to give it a thumbs-up, but of course there's definitely room for improvement.
post #3606 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I enjoyed 100 on CW. Season 2 stumbled some out of the gate but is getting better.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #3607 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Same here. I'm up to Episode 11. Last night, the wife & I watched 3 episodes in a row. When I first started watching this series, I had told my wife I was a bit iffy on it, and needed to see more episodes before passing judgement. As the story and characters have developed, I've turned my opinions toward the positive side for The 100. As you said, not bad...not bad at all. I'd have to give it a thumbs-up, but of course there's definitely room for improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I enjoyed 100 on CW. Season 2 stumbled some out of the gate but is getting better.
The fact that it was on CW explains why I never had heard of it until it hit NF .. my mind equates CW with "Vampire Diaries" and since I can't stand that show, I guess I'm just not paying attention to CW material .. I thought maybe it was a SyFy show I'd missed .. at any rate, good to know and now I'm going to see if any marathon on Season 2 may be forthcoming for a DVR workout ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3608 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

CW has moved past stuff like Vamp Diaries and Gossip Girl.

After Smallville left they made hits with Arrow and Flash, as well as 100 being good. Supernatural is still a good show.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #3609 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After Smallville left they made hits with Arrow and Flash, as well as 100 being good. Supernatural is still a good show.
You've convinced me I'm going to have to dig into it now .. as if I don't have enough material already that I watch ..

Uncle Willie

post #3610 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank goodness for streaming and DVR's with big HDD's!

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #3611 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 380
If you liked Fox's Prison Break, check out The Flash on CW. Scofield and Burrows are back!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3612 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
I have 100 in my 'to watch list.' Haven't gotten around to it yet. Looks like something I'd enjoy.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #3613 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:

The Vampire Diaries is in its sixth season and spun off The Originals, so they're not quite past it yet. I watched the pilot and had no interest.

The CW continues to be very youth oriented, though that's OK. They are a merger of the former UPN, which belonged to CBS, and The WB, hence the name, The CBS Warner network; the market wasn't big enough for the two of them. As such they bear the legacy of a number of shows that I enjoyed (Buffy, Angel, ST:Enterprise, Smallville), though I don't watch anything else on the CW at this time. My aunt loves Arrow; I watched part of the pilot on Netflix and didn't finish it, though I plan to give it a more extensive trial.

I didn't expect to like The 100 as much as I do; I haven't watched this past week's episode but I found the end of the previous one to be a relief.
Spoiler!
I really enjoy the show though the main character annoys me.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3614 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I have 100 in my 'to watch list.' Haven't gotten around to it yet. Looks like something I'd enjoy.
The 100 is pretty good imo.
post #3615 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The Vampire Diaries They are a merger of the former UPN, which belonged to CBS, and The WB, hence the name, The CBS Warner network; the market wasn't big enough for the two of them.
Actually the market for both was just fine, until the geniuses at the FCC decided to allow multiple station ownership of broadcast properties in the same city/market. Enter the emperor, Rupert Murdoch, whose News Corp purchased the Chris Craft broadcast group, which owned the 7 tv stations located in the top markets that were the foundation for Paramount owned (later merged with CBS/Viacom) UPN. With News Corp owning the stations that were their guaranteed presence in the biggest cities, they found themselves at the mercy of increasing preemptions- something that didn't happen as CC, didn't load up on syndicated college football and basketball and protected the primetime lineup, something the new owners didn't. And the affiliation agreement with the stations now in News Corp's control, the handwriting was on the wall for them.

The merger with The WB was purely, a survival move for CBS, and a way to reduce operating costs for Warner Bros. Its sad seeing the stations that didn't go over to The CW, wasted on MyNetworkTV. Essentially, a 2 hour a night rerun cable channel.

We now return to the Netflix Gems and Finds thread...

Korean action film "As the Lights Go Out", is a recent add and a good old fashioned, disaster flick. English subtitles, beautiful imagery, and special effects.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3616 of 3620 Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Actually the market for both was just fine...

If you say so. As I recall they both had horribly tiny market shares. The CW has to fare better without competition from a similar network.

post #3617 of 3620 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Vampire Diaries is in its sixth season and spun off The Originals, so they're not quite past it yet. I watched the pilot and had no interest.

The CW continues to be very youth oriented, though that's OK. They are a merger of the former UPN, which belonged to CBS, and The WB, hence the name, The CBS Warner network; the market wasn't big enough for the two of them. As such they bear the legacy of a number of shows that I enjoyed (Buffy, Angel, ST:Enterprise, Smallville), though I don't watch anything else on the CW at this time. My aunt loves Arrow; I watched part of the pilot on Netflix and didn't finish it, though I plan to give it a more extensive trial.

I didn't expect to like The 100 as much as I do; I haven't watched this past week's episode but I found the end of the previous one to be a relief.
Spoiler!
I really enjoy the show though the main character annoys me.
I know exactly what the Vamp Diaries is doing, we watched the first 4 seasons. The point is, Arrow (season 3), 100 (season 2) and Flash (season 1) is CW moving past the female orientated teen shows. Vamp Diaries is old news with their current push into a new area, and it is a good move on their part. Even Smallville was a little too "simple", even though it was a good show. They raised the bar with Arrow and Flash, and they are more along the lines of Supernatural.

Flash, Supernatural and Arrow are their top 3 shows, with stuff like Reign and Jane the Virgin sucking wind.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
post #3618 of 3620 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The point is, Arrow (season 3), 100 (season 2) and Flash (season 1) is CW moving past the female orientated teen shows.

You draw a distinction without a difference. For a long time, the icon poster frame in Netflix's browser for Arrow was some version of this (they've recently changed it to another, far less pointedly female-titillating image):

Spoiler!

That's marketing to either young women or gay males (or both ), and it wouldn't surprise me if young women were majority of the viewership for it and the other shows that you cite. When they stop using young pretty boys to depict heroes I'll believe that they're "moving past female oriented teen shows".

Quote:
Even Smallville was a little too "simple", even though it was a good show. They raised the bar with Arrow and Flash, and they are more along the lines of Supernatural.

Flash, Supernatural and Arrow are their top 3 shows, with stuff like Reign and Jane the Virgin sucking wind.

Though I haven't watched Flash I definitely don't see where either of the others is any more sophisticated or complex than Smallville. (Of course, I only watched some of the pilot of Arrow but I watched probably 8 or 9 episodes of Supernatural before I became bored with its formula).

In any case we're diving down an off-topic rathole.

post #3619 of 3620 Old Today, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
That's marketing to either young women or gay males (or both ), and it wouldn't surprise me if young women were majority of the viewership for it and the other shows that you cite. When they stop using young pretty boys to depict heroes I'll believe that they're "moving past female oriented teen shows".
You have got to be kidding me - you haven't watched Flash and didn't finish the Arrow Pilot and you post quite (actually very) 'chauvinistic' views.

Both shows are on our weekly watch list while many others pile up episodes on the DVR or go unwatched on Netflix/Amazon.

They are not high-art - but are well done and very watchable (and have attractive actors/actresses for viewers of all persuasions )
post #3620 of 3620 Old Today, 02:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
You have got to be kidding me - you haven't watched Flash and didn't finish the Arrow Pilot and you post quite (actually very) 'chauvinistic' views.

Both shows are on our weekly watch list while many others pile up episodes on the DVR or go unwatched on Netflix/Amazon.

They are not high-art - but are well done and very watchable (and have attractive actors/actresses for viewers of all persuasions )

I'm not questioning or commenting on the quality of the shows, just the assertion that Arrow, Flash and The 100 represent some sort of departure from the CW's courtship of the 18-34 y/o female demo. Perhaps they're trying to add to their viewership with sci-fi/comic book/fantasy series that are less pointedly romantic than some of their "legacy" programming, but they're doing so while trying not to lose their appeal to any of their current audience base.

My aunt likes Arrow a lot so I intend to eventually give it more of a trial; I just got distracted while watching the pilot and never got back to it. Right now I have a ridiculous backlog of stuff on my DVR.

Last edited by michaeltscott; Today at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page