Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 122 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes
post #3631 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 745
This is a pivotal year for NF streaming, contract expirations, etc .. actually, I think it's the biggest year they have faced ..

The good news is, I understand something around 350 new shows / series are coming on soon ..

And after all, we got "The Interview" ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I know it's tough, but personally, I like maintaining the "Gems and Finds" topic as much as possible .. I know I've digressed as well in the past, and I just did again with the previous post .. but really, this is not the Netflix Bitches and Complaints Thread .. or the "How do I rip content to a HD so I can scab it on my Kindle" thread ..
cajieboy and Keenan like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3633 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I said "lots of the time", not "all of the time". Tons of things expire and go away forever, but many things come back instantly, the day after they expire. Many times I'll look at a list of "new" Netflix content some of which has been in my queue for years. Latest case in point The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version).
I actually saw the original Swedish version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" long before viewing the American re-make. Although I really like the actor Daniel Craig, I still preferred the original Swedish version of this movie.
Keenan and mailiang like this.
post #3634 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I would like to know of genuine gems and finds on Netflix - and that does not include "The Interview".

For instance - I watched a movie called "A Hijacking" on Netflix. Not sure if its still available for streaming.

Last week we watched a small-budget film movie called "Omar" on Netflix. Incredible. Now that's what I thought this thread tries to flag - identify gems and identify films that are hard to find elsewhere. If not, I would propose a separate thread for film geeks like me.

Last edited by umenon; Yesterday at 02:35 PM.
post #3635 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
I actually saw the original Swedish version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" long before viewing the American re-make. Although I really like the actor Daniel Craig, I still preferred the original Swedish version of this movie.
All of the Swedish films were filled with great performances. Noomi Rapace was riveting as Lisbeth but I liked the guy who played her creepy father almost as much. The actress who played Mikael Blomkvist's lawyer sister who ended up representing Lisbeth was terrific too. I have all three of the Swedish films on BD and the Fincher version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo too.
cajieboy likes this.
post #3636 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
I would like to know of genuine gems and finds on Netflix - and that does not include "The Interview".
Oh, trust me, I'm sure there are plenty that consider it a "Gem" ..

Uncle Willie

post #3637 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:

I do too, though I thought that the American remake was very faithful to the story and the original (the three films were edited down from a six-part Swedish TV mini-series, two 90 minute parts for each novel with about 3 hours worth of additional footage edited out of the movie trilogy; Netflix also has that form of it, which I recommend in part because the BD transfers of the 2nd and 3rd films had inexplicably poor PQ, as do the Netflix streams thereof). It was well directed, filmed and acted, which is a lot more than can be said for many American remakes of foreign films. It brings a great story to people who don't like watching dubbed or subtitled film. Frequently the story has been so mucked over in American remakes that it's hard to recognize the original in them.
cajieboy likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; Yesterday at 02:47 PM.
post #3638 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 91
post #3639 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For instance - I watched a movie called "A Hijacking" on Netflix. Not sure if its still available for streaming.

Last week we watched a small-budget film movie called "Omar" on Netflix. Incredible. Now that's what I thought this thread tries to flag - identify gems and identify films that are hard to find elsewhere. If not, I would propose a separate thread for film geeks like me.

There is just way too much subjective opinion to satisfy such a request. What you consider a "gem", I may think is really a stinker. For instance, your remarks on the "Interview" movie, which I strongly disagree. While I don't think this film will ever be considered a film noir classic by any stretch of the imagination, I did find it hilarious, and just plain mindless fun. Yes, movies can be fun too, and I could care less about the hype swirling around this flick. The Interview was streamed w/o any extra expense to me personally, and that's exactly how I wanted to see it. It was satire, and I had some very good laughs, which is more than I can say for some other movies I've experienced this past year
post #3640 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Umenon. I've added both of your movie suggestions to my Netflix list. I'm getting quite a backlog, but both of your picks seem worth a look.
post #3641 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
This is a pivotal year for NF streaming, contract expirations, etc .. actually, I think it's the biggest year they have faced ..

The good news is, I understand something around 350 new shows / series are coming on soon ..

And after all, we got "The Interview" ..
I am surprised Netflix got the Interview so fast even though I will never watch it. It did not even go on the premium channels like Starz which most Sony Picture's releases go.
As for expiration it was not as bad until the new year butchering many shows mostly kids programs.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; Yesterday at 04:12 PM.
post #3642 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
At least the first season is on Netflix and future seasons should show up after they finished so I can give it another chance. As I said I am very picky on shows. I finished many shows on Netflix so I am running out of things to watch. I tried some different shows like Bones, White Color but I ended up hating them as I hate cop shows from today. I loved the old cop shows like Hawaii-Five-O and Rockford Files but the new cop shows the characters have the personalty of a rock just miserable characters with miserable problems like serial killers, domestic violence etc. Shows like Fringe were different because even though the first season was very cop like it had the weirdness.

The only cop related show now I am watching is Psych because at least the characters have some comic personality. Also not yet on Netflix Forever currently on ABC I am enjoying even though it is a cop show the characters are likeable and it is more like a mystery. So mystery, weirdness and comic relief copy shows I will only watch.

I'm surprised that you find the characters in White Collar miserable. It is a light hearted show with an up-beat main character (and some supporting ones) and has a good helping of humour.
post #3643 of 3644 Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
So did I. It was so far superior to the American remake... And it lacked that annoying Nine Inch Nails-type soundtrack music, too.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #3644 of 3644 Unread Today, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm surprised that you find the characters in White Collar miserable. It is a light hearted show with an up-beat main character (and some supporting ones) and has a good helping of humour.
I was expecting more like Psych humor but to me it was more like Bones humor. Well White Collar and Bones are both produced by Fox Studio's hence the similarity with the characters. I did only watch 3 episodes of White Collar but after the third episode of season 1 which I hated I lost interest.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page