Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 125 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 121Likes
post #3721 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 904
The the unseasonably high heat has moved out. The Weather Channel's highest predicted high temp for the next 10 days in my area of San Diego is one day at 75. We could use some rain, as well as better natural water management. (Millions of gallons of fresh water wash down culverts into the bay during every serious rainfall ).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Cool down? Any warm movies to snuggle up to? It's freezing out here!
Ian
Then try "Young Ones". Plenty of hot desert scenes there. But if you're starving maybe "Like Water for Chocolate"?
post #3723 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sorry, can't resist.

post #3724 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post
Sorry, can't resist.

At what are those temperatures like come mid summer?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3725 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Come mid summer this scene comes to mind:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hR69EKvcW-4

post #3726 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

and on the eighth day created......air conditioning.
reddice likes this.
post #3727 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Then try "Young Ones". Plenty of hot desert scenes there. But if you're starving maybe "Like Water for Chocolate"?
Thanks, I'm already feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3728 of 3742 Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"The Dark Valley" or "Das finstere Tal"...Clint Eastwoodesq German revenge flick that takes place in the Austrian Alps mid 1800's or so....beautifully shot, great story, gritty realism and you have your choice of subtitles or dub!... http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80001897?trkid=437879
post #3729 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Cool down? Any warm movies to snuggle up to? It's freezing out here!

My first thought was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (the movie, 1961). In it the Van Allen Radiation Belts catch fire and start cooking the earth. (Netflix: streaming, DVD)

Second thought: The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1962; Netflix: DVD). In this B movie, Russia test fires a nuclear device at the north pole, and at the same moment the United States test explodes a nuclear device at the south pole, and the whole orbit of the earth is changed to bring the earth closer to the sun.

Third thought: The Towering Inferno (1974; Netflix: Blu-ray). The electricians had cut corners with the architect's drawings and used a smaller gauge of wire, which starts an electric fire that spreads into the rest of the skyscraper.

Fourth thought: The Flight of the Phoenix (1965; Netflix: DVD no longer available, but you might be able to catch it on RetroPlex this coming Friday early morning). A plane crash lands in the Sahara Desert. The pilot, with some doubts and fighting the harsh desert sun, struggles to rebuild the plane as a single-engine plane so they can fly to civilization. There is also a 2004 movie of the same title and same themes (Netflix: Blu-ray & DVD) but I had never watched it.

Firestarter (1984; Netflix: DVD) stars a child who has an incendiary personality: she starts fires with just her thoughts. Of course "the government" wants to take her away from her father and train her to be a weapon.

Gog (1954; Netflix: streaming) takes place in a top secret underground lab in a desert. A variety of experiments are taking place, but there has been an unusual increase in deadly accidents so an agent is sent in to investigate them. One of the deaths involves the helioscope concentrating the sun's rays onto a researcher and frying that researcher. (Gog and Magog are the names of the two robots in the movie.)

Another movie taking place in the desert in America is It Came From Outer Space (1951; Netflix: DVD). An alien (as in extraterrestrial) spacecraft lands in the Arizona desert, and the extraterrestrials start assuming the identities of the townspeople to secure supplies they need for repairing their craft. There is something a bit unsettling when one of the assumed identities stares directly at the desert sun, without blinking.

Fireproof (2008; Netflix: streaming, Blu-ray & DVD) is a romantic drama. A firefighter is a local hero for putting out fires, but the fire of his own marriage needs rekindling.

Another firefighter movie is Backdraft (1991; Netflix: DVD). There are sure a lot of fires, leading to a suspicion of an arsonist.

If you like a fire in the fireplace, the living room, and the whole house, there is such a scene in Fletch Lives. Or a transition to a blazing hot sun in a Star Wars spoof there is Spaceballs. And James Bond in a crematorium goes to Diamonds Are Forever. These three are on disc from Netflix, but not streaming from Netflix.

But for streaming are three episodes of Fireplace For Your Home (2010; Netflix: streaming). There's an episode of just a cracking fire, and an episode of fire with music.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (110Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #3730 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Anybody try "88"? Not great but I found it entertaining....
post #3731 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
My first thought was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (the movie, 1961). In it the Van Allen Radiation Belts catch fire and start cooking the earth. (Netflix: streaming, DVD)

Second thought: The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1962; Netflix: DVD)

Third thought: The Towering Inferno (1974; Netflix: Blu-ray)
Fourth thought: The Flight of the Phoenix (1965; Netflix: DVD
Firestarter (1984; Netflix: DVD)

Gog (1954; Netflix: streaming)

Another movie taking place in the desert in America is It Came From Outer Space (1951; Netflix: DVD).

Fireproof (2008; Netflix: streaming, Blu-ray & DVD)
Another firefighter movie is Backdraft (1991; Netflix: DVD)

But for streaming are three episodes of Fireplace For Your Home (2010; Netflix: streaming). There's an episode of just a cracking fire, and an episode of fire with music.
Wow, you really did your home work! Thanks for the suggestions.

Ian

post #3732 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:

Quote:
Wow, you really did your home work! Thanks for the suggestions.

Ian
I hate to slam a classic, however, Fireplace For Your Home has little to any real plot development, repeats the same tired cliché over and over and over, the star (Fireplace) seems to really want to be somewhere else, although his method acting chops are not too bad ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3733 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I hate to slam a classic, however, Fireplace For Your Home has little to any real plot development, repeats the same tired cliché over and over and over, the star (Fireplace) seems to really want to be somewhere else, although his method acting chops are not too bad ..

It's a laugh riot reading the reviews of those and the Netflix "Example" test clips .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3734 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
If I remember, this is the one with a MAJOR science OOPS. It shows the ship being hit by sinking ice...

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3735 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It's a laugh riot reading the reviews of those and the Netflix "Example" test clips .

When I need a cheap and fast laugh fix, Amazon is a goldmine ..

http://www.amazon.com/Funniest-Amazo.../RM0256CJKINZJ
Ken.F likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3736 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Re: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (the movie, 1961).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
If I remember, this is the one with a MAJOR science OOPS. It shows the ship being hit by sinking ice...
Yes, you have to watch out for those sinking chunks of ice! (Oops 1!) But that is after the burning Van Allan Radiation Belts (above the atmosphere so there's no oxygen nor any oxidating agent, oops 2 and a major plot point, too) had melted the icebergs so they were calving.

One just has to learn to suspend mountains of disbelief!

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (110Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #3737 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
That's OK, it started to bore me in the first 5 minutes so I decided to watch ( in all seriousness ) Bad Turns Worse instead. It includes Mark Pellegrino, a wonderful character actor ( Being Human, The Closer) that I have also seen in a few very good Indie films. It also features Logan Huffman from Shameless.

Ian

post #3738 of 3742 Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 22
just watched "Field of Lost shoes" - think historical drama ala The Tudors, but the setting is the US Civil War, and revolves around a regiment of cadets from VMI (Virginia Military Academy) drafted in as reserves for a battle nearby at New Market Virginia. Actually pretty well done, and gives an interesting view into life in the states at that time, with some interesting glimpses into slavery and how cruel it was to slave families in terms of tearing them apart (besides other aspects).

It is apparently based on a true story

and in the interest of disclosure, i live in richmond, va and most of the sites, buildings and even VMI are familiar to me and my wife works for the National Park Svc at one of the historical sites so it had added interest for me.

but it kept my attention thru-out

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK

Last edited by larryccf; 02-19-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #3739 of 3742 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Really enjoyed Honeymoon. Very creepy. Just goes to show you how good a movie can be with a minimal budget.
post #3740 of 3742 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 202
"Housebound" was just added and I liked it. It's more of a dark comedy than a horror film.
Dodge DeBoulet likes this.
post #3741 of 3742 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
"Housebound" was just added and I liked it. It's more of a dark comedy than a horror film.
Housebound was great. My kind of dark humor
post #3742 of 3742 Unread Today, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tell em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page