Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 127 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #3781 of 3800 Old 03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I've been a Prime subscriber since the beginning (for the shipping, which is what it's about), long before they added the perqs (video, music, Kindle Owner's Lending Library, etc) and would still subscribe if they took all of that away. I would not subscribe if all I cared about was the video.

How'd we get into a discussion about Bosch in a Netflix thread?
If you run across a thread or decide to start one called : Amazon Prime Video : Gems & Finds .. be sure and let me know, I'll subscribe, it might beef up my usage ..

My feelings on Prime are the same .. I buy a lot from Amazon and have for many years .. the video part is nice, but I don't use it much, I tried a couple different Kindles in the past and decided I preferred real books made of real paper ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3800 Old 03-27-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
If you run across a thread or decide to start one called : Amazon Prime Video : Gems & Finds .. be sure and let me know, I'll subscribe, it might beef up my usage ..

If I recall correctly someone did create one which no one used.

Wrapped in [spoiler] tags to protect the uninterested:

Spoiler!

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3783 of 3800 Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
thanks to whoever posted Housebound. Finally got to watch it and enjoyed it immensely. Correctly described as more dark comedy than horror, I loved the off-kilter story line and little twists. Just watched Hollidaysburg which is a very, very funny coming of age film set in Pittsburgh. We're talking sex, romance, friendship, quirky families, partying, pumpkin pie-making and more as former classmates head down the inevitable path to adulthood. Well-played stuff.

post #3784 of 3800 Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Seems that when Amazon had that one day special on Prime I should have signed up because right after that I wound up ordering a few things worth it that I couldn't find locally. And the stuff that came was held back two days but with the Prime sticker so I wouldn't get Prime service for the regular price.

I was watching the "Dig" series via Hulu+ and they made episode 4 only available as a locked episode you could view if you have a TV provider. Hulu folks are enraged and threatening to drop their subscriptions. It's not like they are going to go "oh gee, I'll call my cable company and sign back up again." Unbelievable cluelessness on TV execs part. But we have as much regard for them as they have for the viewing public.

They also did this with Syfy's "Helix" and "12 Monkeys." Now to relate this back to Netflix it may mean that Netflix will have these one month (the usual TV VOD window) after the season completes. This happened to Syfy's "Z Nation" and season one of "Helix" (which I bought on Amazon and could have waited for on Netflix). One needs to be shrewd about these things nowadays.
post #3785 of 3800 Old 03-29-2015, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I have no issues with the acting being a former thespian myself, however, I agree last season had it's short comings, but this year, so far, has been a lot better. Black Sails is like a new car model, wait until the next production year, after they get the bugs out of it.

Ian

Yeah, I guess I didn't really mean acting. Just a general sense that something was missing from the show.
post #3786 of 3800 Old 03-29-2015, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oddball Gems

I skimmed the last few pages to see if any of these were posted, but these are some odd ball movies that I came across while sick:

Knights of Badassdom: Ryan Kwanten (True Blood), Peter Dinklage, Summer Glau and a list of known faces. This is a great B grade Fantasy/Horror movie. When authors say, "the movie doesn't take itself seriously", this is what they have in mind. It is fun, light hearted without any bad after taste. The basic story of good friends, bad girlfriends and larping gone wrong. The actors clearly enjoy themselves in this movie and I imagine making movies like this is how they have fun in their downtime.

A Dark Truth: Forest Whitaker, Andy Garcia, Kim Coates. This movie is a bit preachy about the evils of corporations. It also has a Steven Segal era movie feel to it, however it still manages to be engaging and a bit thought provoking. The action is good, with excellent pacing after the initial back story. The first 20 minutes of the movie could have been seriously edited down, nonetheless a solid movie.

Interview with a Hitman: This movie has such a bad sound director, I hesitate to put on an AVS list, but it is a good movie. First, the sound... from the music track, which sounds like it was recorded in someone's noisy apartment by a 12 year old, to the actual mixing which blew the music tracks over the top, among many other sins, I would have to nominate this movie for one of the worst audio directors in modern cinema. Towards the end of the movie, the sound gets so bad, I muted it. This movie should be shown in film schools about how to not mix tracks. That aside, the plot and filming of the movie are excellent. It has a legitimate surprise ending that is expertly foreshadowed without giving the viewer too many clues how it will end. This isn't an action movie, so much as a fictional documentary of how this hitman came to be. It traces his life from childhood to present without filtering or trying glorify his actions. You are left with the impression that while his early childhood contributed to his career, he is a sociopath and would have ended up similarly even without his early childhood trials. Towards the end, his life is juxtaposed against that of his childhood friends, emphasizing this point. Besides the audio, I have nothing bad to say. It has a Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Gun Barrels ambiance, but is not a humorous movie. The violence is not gratuitous, considering the theme, but might be disturbing for some people.
post #3787 of 3800 Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Just a suggestion. It would be helpful if members would include the link when recommending a title. Thanks.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3788 of 3800 Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
"Derek" finale

The final episode of Derek is now available.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3789 of 3800 Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sheik

A somewhat interesting documentary on the Iron Sheik from the WWF.

And I am sure that everyone has watched the 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson ten times by now!
post #3790 of 3800 Old 04-06-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
City of Ghosts is Matt Dillon's only feature film as director. It's beautifully photographed and atmospheric, an interesting story. Gerard Depardieu overacts, but I think he's meant for comic relief (and his part is small). Then there is Natasha McElhone, who is given nothing more to do other than to smile (which is most of what she's done on screen. But her part is small, too.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this movie. But I might be the only one who did, since the movie cost $17.5 million and grossed $326,000, per IMDB.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910

Last edited by pbarach; 04-06-2015 at 02:16 PM.
post #3791 of 3800 Old 04-09-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

If you missed last AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire" last year, season one has been added.
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Halt_an..._Fire/70302182
post #3792 of 3800 Old 04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Marvel's Daredevil Season 1 dropped today (though I can't certify it as being a "gem" or a "find", since I haven't watched any of it yet). It has available 4K video, making a whooping 15 such titles: 6 TV series (The Blacklist, Daredevil, Breaking Bad, Marco Polo, House of Cards, Bloodline), 5 movies (Godzilla (1998), Crouching Tiger, Jerry Maguire, Hitch, The Smurfs 2) and 4 "Moving Art" nature shorts .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3793 of 3800 Old 04-10-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
If you missed last AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire" last year, season one has been added.
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Halt_an..._Fire/70302182
I saw it. It was completely unrealistic, but so are superhero movies. The characters are sometimes bizarre. I liked it, glad it got renewed.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #3794 of 3800 Old 04-11-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I saw it. It was completely unrealistic, but so are superhero movies. The characters are sometimes bizarre. I liked it, glad it got renewed.
It's debatable as to how unrealistic it is. The computer world was pretty crazy back then and they capture some of that and they also take some artistic license. I was more involved in games and the home computing part of the industry which was pretty wild ... and fun.
post #3795 of 3800 Old 04-11-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 941
I lived near Dallas in the late 1970's thru the mid 1980's .. got into the tech heavily in the early '80's .. the show is more realistic than you might think ..
Brian Conrad likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3796 of 3800 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Read that Airplane! will be dropped from Netflix on May 1. Surely that can't be true?

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3797 of 3800 Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Read that Airplane! will be dropped from Netflix on May 1. Surely that can't be true?
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Last edited by Ken.F; Yesterday at 03:11 PM. Reason: misquoted
post #3798 of 3800 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rectify is a Sundance slow burner character driven drama. 2 seasons worth up now.

The Code
is an excellent Australian conspiracy thriller. 6 episodes up.
post #3799 of 3800 Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Both Airplanes1 & 2 are being rotated out of the library. Not the first time they've taking a siesta, and they're always brought back.
And don't call me Shirley.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3800 of 3800 Old Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm a sucker for dog movies, and this one has moved into my Top 5 Best Dog Movie category. BIG thumbs up for Red Dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page