Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

post #3931 of 3946 Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Whatever happened to Utopia? Did they forget to turn it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3946 Old 08-10-2015, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Not sure, and now the HBO version is cancelled.

Panasonic VT50 / Sony S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF-7II and RC-64II
Dual Rythmik FV15HP's
post #3933 of 3946 Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Whatever happened to Utopia? Did they forget to turn it on?
I believe they replaced it with this version:

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3934 of 3946 Old 08-10-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Utopia was added today. Problem is that is an Australian comedy "Dreamland" that apparently also went by the title "Utopia." Maybe someone at Netflix got confused. Go to YouTube and do a search for Utopia. Both seasons are there. Apparently the HBO police haven't noticed or have no jurisdiction. The 2 disc BD you can find for sale of season one will play on some US BD players. It is no region but still has PAL files for source. They didn't do a season 2 BD because the first one didn't sell that well. There are DVDs of both seasons and if you have an all region DVD player you can play those. But the cinematography and color grading used in season one is spectacular so a BD is a must.
post #3935 of 3946 Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Go to YouTube and do a search for Utopia. Both seasons are there. Apparently the HBO police haven't noticed or have no jurisdiction.
Brian .. I've noticed that quite a bit of network content and CATV material appears on YouTube at various times .. what's the story on that .. ?? People just uploading for the heck of it .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3936 of 3946 Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Brian .. I've noticed that quite a bit of network content and CATV material appears on YouTube at various times .. what's the story on that .. ?? People just uploading for the heck of it .. ??
The way the DMCA works you need to issue a takedown notice and you need to be the property owner to do that. Seems that FOX has a regular squad that does that. HBO on some things. You'll find more FOX show listings that show up on YouTube with a DMCA notification on it that it's been pulled or a list on the bottom of a Google search as to what listings were omitted due to DMCA claims.

It is likely HBO only got derivative rights and not rights to the original Channel 4 property as the DVDs and BD are still being sold. HBO could have had a version out a year after acquiring it but they went for some high concept on a series that probably didn't need it.

With "Humans" we see US versions aren't always necessary. I think Utopia on either Netflix or Hulu would have worked well. Hulu showed the original version of "The Bridge" and accidentally showed season 2 for a few days before the US season two ran last year.
post #3937 of 3946 Old 08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Cake .. not your typical Jennifer Aniston vehicle, I enjoyed it ..
http://www.netflix.com/title/80017263

The Widowmaker .. good doc on cardiac care .. I have heart issues, so it appealed to me..
http://www.netflix.com/title/80039437

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3938 of 3946 Old 08-16-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I finished Sense8 last night and gave it 5 stars. There's a lot of info as to why things were happening in the last two episodes.
The first time I tried to watch this I just couldn't get into it. It felt slow and discombobulated. The second time, however, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and ended up binge watching the whole thing in two days. I can't wait for the next season. They also just released a documentary of the cast members on the set.
post #3939 of 3946 Old 08-16-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Yesterday I watched all of Terra Nova (2011), Season 1 (only season), all 13 episodes, which steamed mostly at 1080p. I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed this show as much as I did, rating it 4 stars on Netflix, and apparently my rating is typical because the average of 1,160,317 ratings is 4.1 stars. The show stops streaming September 11 (26 days from when I post this message). Those with a Netflix disc plan can also rent the 4 DVDs. (Earlier today I temporarily added the 4 DVDs to my queue and all four discs showed as available, no waits.)

IMDB synopsis: Centers on the Shannons, an ordinary family from 2149 when the planet is dying who are transported back 85 million years to prehistoric Earth where they join Terra Nova, a colony of humans with a second chance to build a civilization.

Typical of many shows, the first episode is heavily loaded with the setup, in this case, the Shannon family in the future with the circumstances that lead them to want to jump into the past, and apparently the crevice in time leads to a specific time of a parallel earth in the past. The second episode seems overly weighted to the family adapting to the past, and starting the third episode the show is on its regular fitting, mostly taking place in and around the settlement known as Terra Nova, and some action in the colony of the Sixers or in the future.

I'm a bit surprised that the episodes tended to be 41 or 42 minutes long, which is why it took a bit over 9 hours to watch the whole season.

Links: Netflix DVD, Streaming (until September 11, 2015); IMDB title.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #3940 of 3946 Old 08-16-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
I'm a bit surprised that the episodes tended to be 41 or 42 minutes long, which is why it took a bit over 9 hours to watch the whole season.

Pretty much standard for US TV scripted drama series.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3941 of 3946 Old 08-16-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Pretty much standard for US TV scripted drama series.
When I rented the Star Trek (The Original Series) (1966-1969) discs, episode runtimes were 53 minutes. The episodes of the last season of Star Trek: The Next Generation (1993) ran 45 minutes. And now Terra Nova (2011) episodes are 41 or 42 minutes long. So this is the new normal for an hour show?

For TV, I have the DVR record almost every show I watch and I FF past most of the commercials. If I start playing a show a quarter the way into the airing of the show (e.g., start watching the 2-hour America's Got Talent 30 minutes after it starts airing) and FF past the commercials, usually I'll finish viewing the show pretty close to when the broadcast finishes, which is why I thought advertising was still only 25% of the time slot, but maybe I'm being mislead by the time it takes to FF. (I have been time shifting with VCRs before Comcast went all digital, but it became much easier when Comcast dropped the analog channels and I started renting the HD DVR, so I have a long history of FF past commercials.)

At least with Netflix streams and discs there aren't commercials during the feature that need to be skipped, and no commercials overlaying the feature and usually no network logo testing the burn-in susceptibility of the TV.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #3942 of 3946 Old 08-16-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There's more and more ad content added as time goes on. This surprises you? Broadcast television is worth at least as much as we pay for it. You admit that you don't even pay the price that the broadcasters ask since you skip watching the ads (as do I ).

post #3943 of 3946 Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
You admit that you don't even pay the price that the broadcasters ask since you skip watching the ads (as do I ).
And me, and millions upon millions of viewers through out the land.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3944 of 3946 Old 08-23-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Spike Lee's "Da Sweet Blood of Jesus" is an excellent quirky dark comedy with some great cinematography and music. Rami Malek ("Mr. Robot") has a major role in the film too.
post #3945 of 3946 Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

"1992" is a real gem of a TV series. It's in Italian with subtitles. It is an excellent dramatization of events and characters in 1992 Italy and the corruption that ensued. It has a great cast and beautiful cinematography. 5 stars from me. Too bad American TV can't seem to rise this high.

When I first tried to watch it on my Sony BD player the subtitles were out of sync and some just flashed briefly on the screen (good work Sony). However using my Shield Console they are perfectly displayed.
post #3946 of 3946 Old Today, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Netflix isn't renewing their Epix contract so some titles are going away:

http://blog.netflix.com/2015/08/why-...le-movies.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware