Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 333Likes

post #4501 of 4507 Old 12-07-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 354
With a projector and constant height setup I'm loving the 2.0:1 aspect ratio of The Crown. I suppose they were never going to do 2.35:1 for a TV show, but at least it's wider than standard HD.

There is a bit of a problem with some of the dialog though. It sounds clear enough but sometimes has noticable background hiss that they suppress whenever the person stops talking. A bit distracting as the hiss is only on dialog, and only on some if it. It's fairly subtle, but I can't stop listening for it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4507 Old 12-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The Rock is now on Netflix! Need I say more?

The Horde Is a French Zombie flick (those suckers are fast). Its a campy movie that takes place in a run down apartment building with bunch of Gangsters & Dirty Cops. Got good kills, a revenge story on the side and decent acting... def. recommended.

HUSH Started out very creepy and scary, good survival skills shown by the deaf and mute girl - better than The Shallows... Worth checking out.

I Saw the Devil Believe its Korean, with the villain from LUCY... he's like their Samuel L. Jackson, in every movie. Movie's about revenge, torment and torture on both sides of the coin. Disturbingly addicting to watch, you've been warned.

Will post more later.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1
post #4503 of 4507 Old 12-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
The Little Prince. If you haven't read or don't love the book, I can't recommend it at all. Otherwise, I can only give a tepid recommendation. The problem is that since there isn't enough material for a feature film, they wrapped another story around it. The parts taken from the book were done with stop motion animation, and they are beautiful and what you imagine the book "brought to life" would be. Unfortunately, that is only like 20 minutes running time scattered through the first half of the movie. The rest is 3D animation and the framing story is pretty bad.
Both me and my wife enjoyed The Little Prince, PQ was stunning, it was just so pretty to look at!

If they had just covered the whole book and made like a half hour movie with the same stop animation, I think it would have been beautiful. But as it is, this movie has extraneous stuff that fans of the book wouldn't like and non book readers would just find boring. If you are curious, I recommend fast forwarding through the movie and just watching the parts where the little prince appears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Watched and enjoyed The Confirmation last night. A dark comedy with Clive Owen in a role I've not seen him take on before. Recommended.

The Confirmation is one of those build your character kinda movies about spending time with your Dad, good hearted movie.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80094258

I also see Jane Got a Gun with Natalie Portman was recently added as well although I haven't seen it yet.
Gotta check this out at some point.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70307665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I've see this before - an interesting movie. Worth a look. Just added.

The Finest Hours.
Good movie about courage and survival with Chris Pine.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80058068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
A recent arrival, visually stunning Chinese horror film, Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe.
I am intrigued!

Best,
post #4504 of 4507 Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Also, If anybody likes Archer - (not even gonna go into details how funny, amazing, and Entertaining this show is - Hopefully Season 7 is added to Netflix soon)... Then check out the new show on Netflix called "Pacific Heat" Its just as funny and got similar design as Archer. Watched 3 Episodes in a row last night and can't wait to continue tonite!

Best,
post #4505 of 4507 Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I think Archer is hilarious, but Pacific Heat didn't really click for me.

v/r,
C-F
calculon68 likes this.
post #4506 of 4507 Old 12-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
I think Archer is hilarious, but Pacific Heat didn't really click for me.

v/r,
C-F
At first it seems like a cheap knock-off of Archer but there's good writing there... give it an episode or two, it might grow on you. Def. doesn't have the class of Archer but there's fun to be had for sure!

Best,
post #4507 of 4507 Old Today, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If you liked Mythbusters, Netflix now has the closest they can come to it. White Rabbit Project has Tory, Grant, and Kari testing out various theories. The first episode has them trying to test out the feasibility of various superpowers (lightning, freezing, mind control.) The scene where Kari is 'mind controlling' Tory at a restaurant is hilarious.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware