Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Video Download Services & Hardware > Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds
dropzone7's Avatar dropzone7 12:52 PM 11-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If you're a youngster you should get a kick out seeing America at its best. For all of us old farts it's nice to relive the beyond this world's adventures.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Wh...?trkid=2430625

This was an awesome series that I recently checked out on streaming Netflix. Very interesting and I didn't want it to end. There is this one portion of the soundtrack that is used multiple times in each episode, usually at a triumphant moment in a mission or launch and I got a big lump in my throat every time it played.

b_scott's Avatar b_scott 01:16 PM 11-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If you're a youngster you should get a kick out seeing America at its best. For all of us old farts it's nice to relive the beyond this world's adventures.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Wh...?trkid=2430625

I own this on blu-ray. Great series
EJ's Avatar EJ 06:13 PM 11-19-2010
Just started the 6-part masterpiece classic Collision.
EscapeVelocity's Avatar EscapeVelocity 07:32 PM 11-19-2010
Ive got that one on my list.
moviegeek's Avatar moviegeek 08:53 AM 11-20-2010
EscapeVelocity's Avatar EscapeVelocity 12:08 PM 11-20-2010
Dead Snow

Fairly high quality production of Nazi Zombies! Kind of campy.

German or Norweigen production, subtitled.
subavision212's Avatar subavision212 03:11 PM 11-20-2010
If you are looking for a very smartly written comedy about men and women AND another remarkable early, early performance by a young Natalie Portman, by all means check out Beautiful Girls. With a much recognizable cast the movie is a lot of fun. I've seen it about 5 times but decided to watch it again when I saw it in the Starz offerings. Didn't disappoint. Also, not sure how many Hammer horror fans are around but Netflix has been offering some of their early gems like Hands of the Ripper, Twins of Evil, Plague of the Zombies, the Vampire Lovers, Countess Dracula and Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde. They are all a lot of fun and most are surprisingly well-made and somewhat intelligent. Now if they would just add Lust for a Vampire I'd be set.
artwire's Avatar artwire 07:50 PM 11-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Red Dwarf. All 9 seasons of it.

Oh, that's great . Thank for mentioning it. I've been meaning to check this series out, since I heard that Craig Ferguson played Lister's Mr. Confidence. ( Confidence and Paranoia)
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 11:59 AM 11-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Just started the 6-part masterpiece classic Collision.
You'll really like it I think.
mproper's Avatar mproper 06:31 AM 11-23-2010
I gotta recommend The Good, The Bad, The Weird.

I was completely blown away. Just amazing.
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 08:39 AM 11-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

LOTR: The fellowship of the ring

Starz Play, ugh. Is this the EE?
moviegeek's Avatar moviegeek 08:56 AM 11-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

Starz Play, ugh. Is this the EE?

I didn't notice the Starz logo, my condolences.
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 08:59 AM 11-23-2010
Quote:

s'ok - have you taken a look at it?
dropzone7's Avatar dropzone7 09:24 AM 11-23-2010
Quote:

Not HD and it looked terrible. Of course seen the movie many times but turned it on a few nights ago after seeing it listed on Netflix streaming. Turned it off after about 10 minutes. If I'm going to invest that much time I want it to look good.
Cygnus2112's Avatar Cygnus2112 10:21 AM 11-23-2010
If you like creepy, disturbing movies watch The Human Centipede: First Sequence. One of the most bizarre movies I have ever seen. PQ is pretty good for SD.
ggsantafe's Avatar ggsantafe 10:39 AM 11-23-2010
Highly Recommend "Note for Note: The Making of Steinway L1037" http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/No...?trkid=1211017
This is an engrossing documentary tracing the creation of piano at the famed Steinway production facility. Along the way you're treated to observations from Harry Connick, Jr., Hank Jones, Lang Lang as well as various craftsmen and women at the factory. As well crafted a film as the finished piano product
EscapeVelocity's Avatar EscapeVelocity 10:19 PM 11-26-2010
Couple of recs

Katyn - High quality Polish production, subtitled. Gives a bit of a sentimental Polish view of the Katyn Massacre.

Quote:
2007 NR 121 minutes

Polish director Andrzej Wajda helms this Oscar-nominated drama based on the 1940 massacre of some 20,000 Polish military officers and intelligentsia at the hands of Soviet troops, along with the stories of the wives and children who survived them. How did they carry on in the face of such horror, especially when responsibility was publicly denied by the perpetrators? Joachim Paul Assböck, Andrzej Chyra and Stanislawa Celinska star.
Pillars of the Earth - Starz original production. Nicely done, but you can see some of the effects of a limited budget.

Quote:
2010TV-MA 8 episodes

Political conflict, grand passions and epic ambition fuel this sweeping miniseries set in 12th-century England that centers on the struggles of Prior Philip (Matthew Macfadyen), who's devoted to seeing the construction of Kingsbridge Cathedral. At the same time, civil war is roiling Britain as the result of a struggle for succession among King Henry's heirs, with the outcome of history hinging on a portentous secret. Ian McShane also stars.

dm145's Avatar dm145 08:17 AM 11-28-2010
Worth a watch:

The Horsemen
Suspect Zero
Surveillance
EJ's Avatar EJ 07:28 AM 11-29-2010
It looks like they have added many, if not all, full episodes of Saturday Night Live.
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 08:38 AM 11-29-2010
They've had a lot of the seasons or partial seasons since the summer. I don't know if they're all up yet but they keep adding them.
Westly-C's Avatar Westly-C 10:07 AM 11-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

It looks like they have added many, if not all, full episodes of Saturday Night Live.

There aren't the full episodes unfortunately. Many are edited versions down to 35-40 mins.
natrone06's Avatar natrone06 10:20 AM 11-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

i gotta recommend the good, the bad, the weird.

I was completely blown away. Just amazing.

+1
EJ's Avatar EJ 11:36 AM 11-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

There aren't the full episodes unfortunately. Many are edited versions down to 35-40 mins.

The ones I watched from season 2 were about 67-70 minutes, including 2 musical numbers. (classic '77 James Taylor!)
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 12:14 PM 11-29-2010
yeah, it completely depends on which season and episode you pick.
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 02:22 PM 11-30-2010
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/10/27/procrastination/

Good article from last month that kinda pertains to all of us adding movies from this thread
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 02:34 PM 11-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

This doesn't surprise me very much--there are plenty of screw ups and out right bombs in SNL episodes. Given the opportunity to edit stuff out, I can't blame them for using it .
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 02:35 PM 11-30-2010
haha, unfortunately I don't think that's the reason for it.
Greg_R's Avatar Greg_R 05:47 PM 12-01-2010
District B13 - http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Di...018#height1560

It's a French action flick by Luc Besson. If you like The Transporter or similar popcorn action flicks give this one a try. There are some amazing parkour scenes & the humor translates fairly well.
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi 05:55 PM 12-01-2010
The Good The Bad The Weird

Besides being HD it probably has one of the best 5.1 tracks on Netflix right now. Great movie, a lot of fun if you like westerns and Asian flicks.
Mitch G's Avatar Mitch G 07:22 PM 12-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

District B13 - http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Di...018#height1560

It's a French action flick by Luc Besson. If you like The Transporter or similar popcorn action flicks give this one a try. There are some amazing parkour scenes & the humor translates fairly well.

hehe, I've stumbled upon this title a few times but quickly passed by since I thought it was some cheap knockoff of District 9. (While quickly skimming titles and cover art, I thought the logo for District 13 was a spaceship - like that on the cover of District 9.)

Thanks, I'm generally a fan of Besson, so this is worth a watching.

Mitch
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop