Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 436Likes

post #4801 of 4827 Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2040 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
"Drone" is a worthwhile hour and a half ..

https://www.netflix.com/title/80177077
Brian Conrad likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4827 Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I highly recommend Angelina Jolie's "First They Killed My Father" added just the other day.
I wonder how Jon Voight feels about that one.
Brian Conrad likes this.
post #4803 of 4827 Old 09-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Thanx Ian. Time warner has been here 4 times. All signal strength exceptional. All other devices in home fine. Having the same EXACT problem and readings on three different tvs and two different service providers means it's a NETFLIX problem with our Samsung tvs. Does House of Cards play in 4k on yours or 1080?
Just a follow up. I was correct. Netflix speed increased SIGNIFICANTLY on all my tvs and streamers just recently. As I said it was ALWAYS something with Netflix signal,not the tvs or streaming boxes.

post #4804 of 4827 Old 09-20-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I wonder how Jon Voight feels about that one.
He should feel like the a$$ that he is.
Ken.F likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #4805 of 4827 Old 09-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Not nice. He’s a good man. I know him. Let’s stick to Netflix talk.
post #4806 of 4827 Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
He's absolutely wonderful in 'Ray Donovan'. Although he is a well respected actor, many of his colleagues don't share his politics.

Ian
Ricoflashback likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4807 of 4827 Old 09-21-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Their on and off personal relationship is common knowledge but my dislike for Voight does not end there. However I agree this thread is not the place for this discussion. Since my opinion and your personal bias differ feel free to PM me if you wish to continue this conversation.

post #4808 of 4827 Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Manhunt: Unabomber

Early on, during it's TV run, a fellow AVS member recommended this to me .. glad they did .. it's a fairly riveting series and worth a watch if you did not catch it on TV ..

On a side note, this hit NF pretty quickly after the TV run ..

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=man...78&jbp=2&jbr=0
Brian Conrad likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 09-21-2017 at 09:46 AM.
post #4809 of 4827 Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Manhunt: Unabomber

Early on, during it's TV run, a fellow AVS member recommended this to me .. glad they did .. it's a fairly riveting series and worth a watch if you did not catch it on TV ..

On a side note, this hit NF pretty quickly after the TV run ..

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=man...78&jbp=2&jbr=0
Maybe Netflix put money into the project. I watched episode 1 last night. It's available 4K.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #4810 of 4827 Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Maybe Netflix put money into the project. I watched episode 1 last night. It's available 4K.
I just thought it hit so quick, I can't really remember a TV series that went on NF that fast .. yep on the 4K ..

Uncle Willie

post #4811 of 4827 Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I just thought it hit so quick, I can't really remember a TV series that went on NF that fast .. yep on the 4K ..
First I've heard of it. What network carried it?

Ian

post #4812 of 4827 Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
First I've heard of it. What network carried it?

Ian
Discovery .. it ended Sept 12th and seemed to hit NF within days ..

Uncle Willie

post #4813 of 4827 Old 09-21-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
He's absolutely wonderful in 'Ray Donovan'. Although he is a well respected actor, many of his colleagues don't share his politics.

Ian
You have to be able to separate someone's political beliefs (or any beliefs, for that matter) from their artistic contribution - - no matter what art form.

Jon Voight is absolutely "killing it" (as Liev Schreiber said) in Ray Donovan. "You're a crooked tree, Chip." There isn't a episode that goes by where Mickey doesn't fail to crack me up once during the show.

I just recently subscribed to Netflix and I'm really enjoying it. I've been binging on the western series - Longmire. The HDR and 4K content is spectacular on Netflix, IMHO. Better than any other streaming I've seen and sometimes as good or better than poorly mastered 4K/HDR discs.
doberry likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900E & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #4814 of 4827 Old 09-22-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
... Since my opinion/personal bias and your opinion/personal bias differ ...
Don't give a whit about Voight or why anyone cares what he believes, but that slur bugged me.

v/r,
C-F
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #4815 of 4827 Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 AM

Not exactly my cup of tea movie wise, however, the 2017(?) "Beauty & the Beast" is outstandingly sublime as far as PQ goes ..

Jon Voight is not in it ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #4816 of 4827 Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Don't give a whit about Voight or why anyone cares what he believes, but that slur bugged me.

v/r,
C-F
It wasn't intended a slur. He claimed that they were friends ie. it's a personal relationship. I do not know Voight so it's my opinion.

Can we just forget this and move on?

post #4817 of 4827 Old 09-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Their on and off personal relationship is common knowledge but my dislike for Voight does not end there. However I agree this thread is not the place for this discussion. Since my opinion and your personal bias differ feel free to PM me if you wish to continue this conversation.
Quote:
It wasn't intended a slur. He claimed that they were friends ie. it's a personal relationship. I do not know Voight so it's my opinion.

Can we just forget this and move on?
I don't think most of us moved in .. your Post initiated this .. perhaps a "Reasons Why Some Dislike Jon Voight" Thread would be a more appropriate Venue ..
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #4818 of 4827 Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Best 4K content on Netflix?

I wasn't sure if this should be its own thread or just part of this one. I just upgraded my PC monitor to 4k and am thinking of picking up one of the new Sony 4k projectors this holiday. I wanted to check out what 4k content Netflix had on offer, and while they had a lot, it wasn't *that* impressive. I checked out Breaking Bad, Daredevil, and 1-2 others, but I couldn't even tell that it was in 4k. (I believe it was since I hit Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S to force the max bitrate.)

Anyone have a favorite video on Netflix that showcases 4K?
post #4819 of 4827 Old 09-23-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I wasn't sure if this should be its own thread or just part of this one. I just upgraded my PC monitor to 4k and am thinking of picking up one of the new Sony 4k projectors this holiday. I wanted to check out what 4k content Netflix had on offer, and while they had a lot, it wasn't *that* impressive. I checked out Breaking Bad, Daredevil, and 1-2 others, but I couldn't even tell that it was in 4k. (I believe it was since I hit Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S to force the max bitrate.)

"Marco Polo" is my personal favorite, although I differ as far as your assessment ..

https://decider.com/2017/08/24/netfl...-movies-shows/

Uncle Willie

post #4820 of 4827 Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

It really depends on the content. Some stuff in 4K was shot soft for a genre, particularly the Marvell stuff. "The Blacklist" is shot soft too. Season 3 of "Narcos" has some sharp scenes. "Manhunt: Unabomber" is sharp too. I learned a lot even shooting video with a cheap 4K action cam. The sharpest scenes are going to be your well lit outdoor scenes with a lot of contrast. If shooting a scene indoors with natural light they may open up the "aperture" which will make the scene soft.

After a while of watching 4K you start to see the difference. 4K often looks like a really good film print shown in a good theater. Good upscaling can really confuse viewers too.
post #4821 of 4827 Old 09-23-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After a while of watching 4K you start to see the difference. 4K often looks like a really good film print shown in a good theater. Good upscaling can really confuse viewers too.
4K performance also depends on the size and quality of your display..Try watching a 4K BD movie on an OLED. You will be amazed.

Ian

post #4822 of 4827 Old 09-23-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4K performance also depends on the size and quality of your display..Try watching a 4K BD movie on an OLED. You will be amazed.

Ian
I don't like overspending and I think my 55" TCL 4K has good quality. After all it's about the same model offered last year as a door prize here. I'm sure OLED looks better and my model doesn't have HDR but I couldn't pass up the price last November. One thing to do though is to change the setting from the default for the store floor to something that looks better in the living room. TCL has some good settings to use without creating a custom one.

Editing video also gives one sharp eyes for resolution.
post #4823 of 4827 Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
It really depends on the content. Some stuff in 4K was shot soft for a genre, particularly the Marvell stuff. "The Blacklist" is shot soft too. Season 3 of "Narcos" has some sharp scenes. "Manhunt: Unabomber" is sharp too. I learned a lot even shooting video with a cheap 4K action cam. The sharpest scenes are going to be your well lit outdoor scenes with a lot of contrast. If shooting a scene indoors with natural light they may open up the "aperture" which will make the scene soft.

You see the same thing with 720P and 1080 i, The Blacklist doesn't look that well defined even with a good OTA signal. And except for live sports and news, OTA can't change the way shows are shot. Many creative choices don't help video quality. There are some examples that stand out in a good way, Gotham on Netflix looks incredibly good, possibly better than when it was broadcast on Fox, if would be something to see in 4k.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #4824 of 4827 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't like overspending and I think my 55" TCL 4K has good quality. After all it's about the same model offered last year as a door prize here. I'm sure OLED looks better and my model doesn't have HDR but I couldn't pass up the price last November. One thing to do though is to change the setting from the default for the store floor to something that looks better in the living room. TCL has some good settings to use without creating a custom one.

Editing video also gives one sharp eyes for resolution.
OLED is pricy, but hopefully prices will come down. Amazon was running a sale for a new 55'' C7 for $1600.00 and change, almost half off the retail price. For the most accurate picture, it is recommended you use the movie/cinema mode, which comes closest to ATSC/SMPTE/CIE specification standards.

Ian

post #4825 of 4827 Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
You see the same thing with 720P and 1080 i, The Blacklist doesn't look that well defined even with a good OTA signal. And except for live sports and news, OTA can't change the way shows are shot. Many creative choices don't help video quality. There are some examples that stand out in a good way, Gotham on Netflix looks incredibly good, possibly better than when it was broadcast on Fox, if would be something to see in 4k.
OTA is MPEG-2 while Netflix is HEVC. Even 1080p looks better HEVC than even H264. Both HEVC (h265) and VP9 are a massive improvement over h264 and even more so than MPEG-2.
post #4826 of 4827 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OLED is pricy, but hopefully prices will come down. Amazon was running a sale for a new 55'' C7 for $1600.00 and change, almost half off the retail price. For the most accurate picture, it is recommended you use the movie/cinema mode, which comes closest to ATSC/SMPTE/CIE specification standards.

Ian
My nephew works in the display supply industry. There are alot of problems that need to be solved with OLED. For instance the least little bit of water gets into the display and it goes dead.
post #4827 of 4827 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My nephew works in the display supply industry. There are alot of problems that need to be solved with OLED. For instance the least little bit of water gets into the display and it goes dead.
I agree that OLED still has issues, that's why I'm sticking with my plasma until they become more reliable and economical. Despite LCD improvements, I still prefer an emissive display.

Ian
sschen likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page