Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #631 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 599
It's just a bit of light entertainment, not really bad, in fact, somewhat good .. I've always enjoyed Angus Macfadyen for some odd reason .. however, the PQ is so nice I have to say take a look at "Killer Wave" .. looks like it was filmed in digital and on my 65" set, it was just outstanding PQ .. really shows what Netflix streaming can do ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Netflix is giving me a 2.1 stars guestimation on Killer Wave. I might give it a chance though. Sometimes I love me some cheesy disaster movies.
post #633 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Netflix is giving me a 2.1 stars guestimation on Killer Wave. I might give it a chance though. Sometimes I love me some cheesy disaster movies.

It does fit that description .. I only mention it because last night as we sat in front of the tube, I just started browsing Netflix thru PS3 and stopped for a second on it .. my wife said "That looks OK" .. so away we went .. it was a low star rating on my Q as well ..

I was surprized I liked it and was particularly impressed with the PQ .. no 5.1 though ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #634 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I stopped watching FlashForward after 3 episodes. It had a very promising concept. But it had so many little subplots and cliched chars, that I lost interest. Meh..

BTW I am really enjoying Spartacus this season. Much better than last season in terms of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

FlashForward was so much wasted potential. Interesting, though slow in the middle. The ending is sort of enough for a series finale, but there should've been more

post #635 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

Yeah I stopped watching FlashForward after 3 episodes. It had a very promising concept. But it had so many little subplots and cliched chars, that I lost interest. Meh..

BTW I am really enjoying Spartacus this season. Much better than last season in terms of story.

I've heard that's good, I might check it out. Though I've heard bad reactions to the Netflix quality - probably due to Starz.
post #636 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard that's good, I might check it out. Though I've heard bad reactions to the Netflix quality - probably due to Starz.

It was ok. I think the problem with a lot of these is they try to copy Lost's success, but fail miserably. I am convinced it's because, unlike Lost, they try to drag out the plot to make it last 5 years.

Take Lost...which started out great and the pace kept up throughout the first season, then when it got popular, they had to slow it down to stretch it out.

Instead, shows like FlashForward start off with a bang with the first episode, then starting with episode 2, they start dragging it out and nothing happens for episodes and episodes on end. It's almost like the writers or producers expect the show to be so popular right out of the gate that they can afford to go slow, which just makes it shed viewers who get bored. They need to keep up the pace for a season to get viewers hooked. You see this time and again with shows like The Event and V (which frankly sucks anyways, but it doesn't help that it's so slow). They both start off strong, then immediately slow to a snail's pace.
post #637 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was ok. I think the problem with a lot of these is they try to copy Lost's success, but fail miserably. I am convinced it's because, unlike Lost, they try to drag out the plot to make it last 5 years.

Instead, shows like FlashForward start off with a bang with the first episode, then starting with episode 2, they start dragging it out and nothing happens for episodes and episodes on end. It's almost like the writers or producers expect the show to be so popular right out of the gate that they can afford to go slow, which just makes it shed viewers who get bored. They need to keep up the pace for a season to get viewers hooked. You see this time and again with shows like The Event and V (which frankly sucks anyways, but it doesn't help that it's so slow). They both start off strong, then immediately slow to a snail's pace.

It's true .. although we continue to watch V .. I'll be kinda glad when it's over .. about ready to dive into Sparticus 1st season, but I've heard the quality is less than good picture wise .. ??

FlashForward went down in flames fairly fast for me ..

Uncle Willie

post #638 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, V is pretty bad, and I'll be glad when it's over (only watching because I think there are only 2 eps left....but if it gets renewed, I'm just going to quit altogether).

I had no issues with Spartacus, although it's been awhile since I watched it (and it was on the 360, not the PS3). I doubt you'll have problems. I am about ready to start Season 2....I heard it's really good, and it's nice they are adding the episodes as they air. Wish they'd do that more often.
post #639 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I've gotten very tired of investing time for 13 episode or 22 episode series. It often looks that the writers are having a hard time stretching things out for that many episodes. That is why some long runs have success more as stand alones that don't have any particular on going story which are often done for syndication so they don't have to be played in any particular order. So I've become an actual fan of shorter 6 episode series which the UK does and are becoming a trend in the US. I think quality trumps quantity.
post #640 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just finished up the Red Riding trilogy, which was excellent. I wish it would have had subtitles, as I had frequent trouble with the thick British accents. In fact, I almost just stopped and put the discs in my queue, but decided to stick it out.

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...movie/1291796/

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #641 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, V is pretty bad, and I'll be glad when it's over (only watching because I think there are only 2 eps left....but if it gets renewed, I'm just going to quit altogether).

I had no issues with Spartacus, although it's been awhile since I watched it (and it was on the 360, not the PS3). I doubt you'll have problems. I am about ready to start Season 2....I heard it's really good, and it's nice they are adding the episodes as they air. Wish they'd do that more often.

yeah..... V was really slow, then it picked up, then got slow again, now it's getting a bit interesting but it's almost over. I think 3-4 eps left actually. So I'll stick with it, but I don't know if I'll watch again if it's renewed.
post #642 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...movie/1291796/

ROTFLMAO ! Thanks!

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #643 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL. They even mention The Red Riding Trilogy, which is just perfect.
post #644 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just finished up the Red Riding trilogy, which was excellent. I wish it would have had subtitles, as I had frequent trouble with the thick British accents. In fact, I almost just stopped and put the discs in my queue, but decided to stick it out.

I just watched the beginning of the first one--the accents are pretty bad. I love the "bad comprehension sync" effect that I get when I watch something like that, where I'm constantly a second or so behind understanding what was just said .

post #645 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I just watched the beginning of the first one--the accents are pretty bad. I love the "bad comprehension sync" effect that I get when I watch something like that, where I'm constantly a second or so behind understanding what was just said .

I find it takes me about 15-20 minutes to adjust then I don't have as much trouble.

Even though Trainspotting is one of my favorite movies, I always have to watch it for 5 or 10 minutes to get in the groove, then rewind to the beginning.
post #646 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

yeah..... V was really slow, then it picked up, then got slow again, now it's getting a bit interesting but it's almost over. I think 3-4 eps left actually. So I'll stick with it, but I don't know if I'll watch again if it's renewed.

I'm pretty sure that's the end of it .. hoping for a bang up ending .. loved the original ..

Uncle Willie

post #647 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I find it takes me about 15-20 minutes to adjust then I don't have as much trouble.

Even though Trainspotting is one of my favorite movies, I always have to watch it for 5 or 10 minutes to get in the groove, then rewind to the beginning.

At least it's (quite noticeably) in 5.1 and possibly 1080p (on the PS3).

post #648 of 3322 Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:

The video for this season of spartacus is much better than last season. If you liked the gladiator violence of 300 and decadence of HBO's rome, you should like it; altho the dialog is kinda cheesy at times...

Quote:

It was ok. I think the problem with a lot of these is they try to copy Lost's success

I think he was referring to spartacus since he mentioned starz.

Quote:

Instead, shows like FlashForward start off with a bang with the first episode, then starting with episode 2, they start dragging it out and nothing happens for episodes and episodes on end.

Yeah that is how I felt too. I hate when movies artificially inflated with useless crap. Thats why I never jumped on the Lost bandwagon. I feel movies in theaters are far too long as well.
post #649 of 3322 Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

Wild China - series, 6 episodes. Watched episode 1 with my wife. Neither of us are particularly fans of your typical "nature" documentary, but this one is a cut above and we both are enjoying it. BBC spared no expense with the filming, with stunning aerial and night shots. All in HD that looks spectacular. It mixes in some cultural details to make it more interesting.

Wifey and I really enjoyed this one.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #650 of 3322 Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Streamed the first few episodes of "Sparticus" last night .. no 5.1 but the PQ was pretty good on a 65" set .. much better than I had expected based on other comments I had heard ..

Uncle Willie

post #651 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I watched the first episode of "Carlos" which is a three part miniseries about the terrorist Carlos the Jackal. Very well done and available in HD. I'm looking forward to watching parts 2 and 3.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ca...ode_2/70170564
post #652 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Which season? This season's PQ is much better than last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Streamed the first few episodes of "Sparticus" last night .. no 5.1 but the PQ was pretty good on a 65" set .. much better than I had expected based on other comments I had heard ..

post #653 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

Which season? This season's PQ is much better than last.

Season One ..

Uncle Willie

post #654 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched the first episode of "Carlos" which is a three part miniseries about the terrorist Carlos the Jackal. Very well done and available in HD. I'm looking forward to watching parts 2 and 3.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ca...ode_2/70170564

dropped it it the Q .. don't know if I'll watch .. at my age, I just don't care to read as I go .. but it does look interesting ..

Uncle Willie

post #655 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Just finished watching Carlos today. Pretty good. I wish they would've made a list at the end of which things were fact and which they took artistic license with. Other than that, it was very interesting.

Also noticed that "Last Train Home" dropped into my queue today. It's gotten great reviews. Can't wait to watch it.
post #656 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

at my age, I just don't care to read as I go ..

What does your age have to do with it? Are you too young or too old for subtitles ?

post #657 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

dropped it it the Q .. don't know if I'll watch .. at my age, I just don't care to read as I go .. but it does look interesting ..

I agree, but it has nothing to do with age. I've always HATED subtitles, too distracting.
post #658 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I agree, but it has nothing to do with age. I've always HATED subtitles, too distracting.

That sucks. Miss out on so many good movies that way. I don't even notice subtitles anymore.
post #659 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I get used to them after about 10 minutes. My issue is, I usually multi-task. So I can't do something else while listening to some parts.
post #660 of 3322 Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Reading the posts above I almost expect people to ask for sub-titles on Red Riding triology - strange thing is I listened to it and couldn't hear any accent Unlike all you guys who have strange accents with a twang that seemed derived from old west country (somerset etc) accents.....
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page