Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Video Download Services & Hardware > Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds
olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 08:25 AM 03-10-2011
Slingblade just made it to WI...

moontz's Avatar moontz 04:35 PM 03-13-2011
Troll 2 ---- The definition of "Gem" thank goodness for instant watch
subavision212's Avatar subavision212 06:20 PM 03-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moontz View Post
Troll 2 ---- The definition of "Gem" thank goodness for instant watch
This film is definitely an experience. If you truly want to appreciate just how bad this film is you should try and see Best Worst Movie a great doc on the film: "most people don't set out to produce a horrible film, so how exactly does it happen? This documentary about 1989's Troll 2 -- often referred to as the "worst movie in history" -- attempts to answer that question. Director Michael Stephenson, who, as a child, starred in the ill-advised horror flick, delves into how an Italian filmmaker, some unwitting actors and a dentist-turned-cult movie icon joined forces to spawn this ." It's only on dvd right now so if you are on a plan with dvds you should put it in your que. Funny but now the consensus around Hollywood seems to be that The Room has replaced Troll 2 as THE worst film ever made (it has become this generation's midnight movie fav) and I'd have to say that it is the real deal after watching the dvd. Talk about a great cult film double feature (or throw in Plan 9 From Outer Space and you could have a killer triple feature). If you get a chance, see The Room. You're face will hurt for days from laughing so much.
Jim McC's Avatar Jim McC 11:53 PM 03-13-2011
I haven't seen Troll 2, so I don't know if it's the worst movie ever. BUT, I doubt it can be worse than my nomination for the worst movie, at least that I have seen: ThanksKilling. It's available on Netflix streaming, and it's about a killer turkey. Yes, a killer turkey!!
Cygnus2112's Avatar Cygnus2112 12:37 AM 03-14-2011
I thought "gem" meant unknown good movies to recommend. There are already tons of known crap available on instant watch.
subavision212's Avatar subavision212 08:40 AM 03-14-2011
technically, they are "gems" but at the opposite end of the spectrum. If you haven't given yourself over to films in the worst of all time category, you are definitely missing a hugely entertaining part of the motion picture industry.
mproper's Avatar mproper 09:04 AM 03-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post
This film is definitely an experience. If you truly want to appreciate just how bad this film is you should try and see Best Worst Movie a great doc on the film: "most people don't set out to produce a horrible film, so how exactly does it happen? This documentary about 1989's Troll 2 -- often referred to as the "worst movie in history" -- attempts to answer that question. Director Michael Stephenson, who, as a child, starred in the ill-advised horror flick, delves into how an Italian filmmaker, some unwitting actors and a dentist-turned-cult movie icon joined forces to spawn this ." It's only on dvd right now so if you are on a plan with dvds you should put it in your que. Funny but now the consensus around Hollywood seems to be that The Room has replaced Troll 2 as THE worst film ever made (it has become this generation's midnight movie fav) and I'd have to say that it is the real deal after watching the dvd. Talk about a great cult film double feature (or throw in Plan 9 From Outer Space and you could have a killer triple feature). If you get a chance, see The Room. You're face will hurt for days from laughing so much.
Yeah, I watched them back-to-back (Troll 2, then the documentary). It was awesome!

There is a difference in setting out to make a bad movie (tongue-in-cheek, like Thankskilling) and Troll 2, which by all accounts was intended to be a serious/good movie and ended up a complete disaster. In fact, the director still defends it in the documentary and doesn't quite get the "worst movie ever" monicker. Sad to see what has become of the female lead though...
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:06 PM 03-15-2011
I watched it last night and I've seen worse. I'm sort of a z-movie connoisseur but if they are really bad turn them off after 5 to 10 minutes. You can find some really quirky movies searching for them though. I gave it 3 stars because if I gave it 2 Netflix might avoid recommending any more z-movies to me since their rating system isn't about us playing amateur film critic but to help them recommend movies. That's also why I bottom fish on the "new arrivals" listing.

The film sorta works more as a parody of z-movies particularly the direct to video ones made in the 1980s. The difference is it was made by a professional Italian crew. The arc was okay and that is the one thing that will make me turn off a film if the arc goes downhill. Yup, the acting is horrible but almost like on purpose and consistent. What I think allows us to keep watching it is not only how bad it can get but that the editing saves the day. I've seen bad z-movies with awful editing which will get it the stop button in minutes.

I've put the "Best Worst Movie" into my disc queue now.

After watching "Doghouse" a great UK dark comedy but only available on DVD I watched "Exam" streaming which was one of the trailers on the DVD and worth a watch.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 01:17 PM 03-15-2011
GEM ... "The Stoning of Soraya M."

Very sad .. great PQ .. excellent film ..
mproper's Avatar mproper 01:22 PM 03-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yes, I think I watched that like a year ago. Just looked, and it was way back on 6/24/10.

Very sad. Unfortunately not atypical.
DragonLoaf's Avatar DragonLoaf 01:37 PM 03-15-2011
Quote:

+1000

5 stars for sure. Devastating. Intensely emotional.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 01:47 PM 03-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

+1000

5 stars for sure. Devastating. Intensely emotional.

It's rare for me at 65 to choke up during a film ..
subavision212's Avatar subavision212 03:11 PM 03-15-2011
Quote:

It's rare for me at 65 to choke up during a film ..

I have to agree. Though the film, which is a broadside against sharia law lacks the finesse in its characterizations (Soraya is saintly and her accusers are cartoonishly evil and there are only a couple of rounded characters who flesh out the stick-figure passion play) or its over-simplified good/evil themes, there's nothing understated about the finale of the film. The execution sequence (and I don't think I'm giving anything away here) is harrowing, lurid and (for me even though I had read up a bit on this film and knew what was coming) one of the most unbearable experiences I have had at the movies (it's right up there with The Passion of the Christ as nearly unwatchable). Definitely worth a watch if you are up to it.
mproper's Avatar mproper 03:13 PM 03-15-2011
It's strange...I just watched something else with a stoning scene in it as well (although not nearly as graphic).

What was that? Stupid memory.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 03:45 PM 03-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

It's strange...I just watched something else with a stoning scene in it as well (although not nearly as graphic).

What was that? Stupid memory.

CSI Miami two weeks back? Some snide superior rich-bitch high school girl is tied to a post and stoned to death in a football field
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
unpremeditated, by parents of a couple of kids who's lives she's devastated (there was construction going on with a convenient pile of large rocks lying nearby)

mproper's Avatar mproper 03:57 PM 03-15-2011
Ah, went back through my history and it was The Kite Runner. Not as graphic, but disturbing that they
Spoiler  
drag her into a soccer stadium and do it in front a few hundred people

Oh, those silly Taliban....always with the stones.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 06:44 PM 03-18-2011
Agora

If you haven't had the chance to see this overlooked and underrated film it was added to the Netflix instant viewing list on 3/18/11. Recommended.

Quote:

As Christianity gains steam in Roman Egypt toward the end of the fourth century A.D., a young slave (Max Minghella) weighs his desire for freedom against his growing love for his mistress (Rachel Weisz), an atheist as well as a professor of philosophy. Alejandro Amenábar (The Others) directs this epic drama based on the life of Hypatia of Alexandria, a noted Greek scholar and mathematician. Rupert Evans co-stars.

subavision212's Avatar subavision212 08:18 PM 03-18-2011
If you wonder where Jennifer Lawrence (Best Actress nominee for Winter's Bone) got her start AND showed off her acting skills first, check out The Poker House. A great little seen indie film, that is actually based on a true story. Also stars a very young, pre-Kick Ass Chloë Moretz.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 09:06 PM 03-18-2011
You can also see Lawrence in The Burning Plain, another decent indie drama, she plays the younger Charlize Theron character. That was my introduction to Lawrence and I felt then that she was someone to watch, and sure enough, she's turned out to be quite a good actress.
Mitch G's Avatar Mitch G 06:31 PM 03-19-2011
Just watched Square.
I highly recommend putting this one at the top of the queue.

Mitch
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 08:15 PM 03-19-2011
If you enjoy quirky detective shows and 70's music Life on Mars should work. Early on the premise dominates with the characters taking over before too long.
pbarach's Avatar pbarach 09:30 PM 03-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If you enjoy quirky detective shows and 70's music Life on Mars should work. Early on the premise dominates with the characters taking over before too long.

The original English version of this show is IMO superior to the American remake. Netflix has it on DVD, but not on streaming.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 08:07 AM 03-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
Just watched Square.
I highly recommend putting this one at the top of the queue.

Mitch
Do you mean The Square ?
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 08:17 AM 03-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Do you mean The Square ?
I hope not.
Mitch G's Avatar Mitch G 09:35 AM 03-20-2011
Yes I do mean the square - thanks for adding the link.

I guess everyone didn't like it as much as I did.

Mitch
natrone06's Avatar natrone06 10:05 AM 03-20-2011
Quote:

Yes I do mean the square - thanks for adding the link.

Mitch

85% Rotten Tomatoes

Nice high score on RT and looks pretty interesting. I will definitely check it out thanks.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 10:56 AM 03-20-2011
Quote:

Who knows... I gave it two stars and I'm guessing you rated it higher? Thanks for not taking it personal. I tried to like it but it became more unbelievable every step of the plot-line and since it took itself seriously I couldn't. However even my wife often questions my movie preferences!
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:06 PM 03-20-2011
If you are interested in life in other countries I recommend the documentary "Last Train Home" about a Chinese couple who return once yearly to visit their roots in a rural Chinese village. Gives you a good idea of how life is there:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/La..._Home/70129380
pbarach's Avatar pbarach 02:07 PM 03-20-2011
Highly recommended! This French film is about the Resistance movement during WWII. Unforgettable money. The director, Jeane-Pierre Melville, has several other fine films available via streaming, but this is a must-see classic.

His other films available for streaming are Le Cercle Rouge, Bob Le Flambeur, and (as of 3/31) Dirty Money/
pbarach's Avatar pbarach 02:08 PM 03-20-2011
The Young Lieutenant
Le Petit Lieutenant
(2006) NR
Rookie detective Antoine Derouère (Jalil Lespert) accepts a position with Paris's elite homicide division, where his first days as a new lieutenant are routine. But when the body of a drifter is found on the banks of the Seine, the entire squad is thrown into turmoil. Led by a recovering alcoholic unit commander (Nathalie Baye), Antoine and the seasoned investigative team unravel a case of shocking violence that will change their lives forever.
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop