Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Video Download Services & Hardware > Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 10:04 PM 04-12-2011
they really need a better notification system. Seems like external sites like instantwatcher have a perfect notation down to the very day stuff expires, but you only occasionally even get a notice on the netflix page that things are expiring a few days before they do. Really screws up some season watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
joed32's Avatar joed32 06:01 AM 04-13-2011
I agree, the expiration date should be shown all of the time.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 08:13 AM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
they really need a better notification system. Seems like external sites like instantwatcher have a perfect notation down to the very day stuff expires, but you only occasionally even get a notice on the netflix page that things are expiring a few days before they do. Really screws up some season watching.
I sure agree with that .. if you don't keep close tabs on them, you can miss out .. how much trouble would it be for NF to send an auto message within 2 weeks of anything in your instant Q pending expiration .. ??
mproper's Avatar mproper 09:03 AM 04-13-2011
Agreed. I usually use feedflix just to make mental notes of anything expiring in the next several weeks. Obviously Netflix has this info in their API so not sure why they don't have this info on their site and have left it up to third party sites.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:07 AM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Agreed. I usually use feedflix just to make mental notes of anything expiring in the next several weeks. Obviously Netflix has this info in their API so not sure why they don't have this info on their site and have left it up to third party sites.

Yep .. I don't bitch about NF much, even when they have an outage, however, you would think the info would be included .. they do give an advance notice of what's going to stream in the near future on material saved in your Q ..
mproper's Avatar mproper 09:24 AM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post


Yep .. I don't bitch about NF much, even when they have an outage, however, you would think the info would be included .. they do give an advance notice of what's going to stream in the near future on material saved in your Q ..

Yeah....I don't complain much either, but in addition to that, I have a PS3 activated on my account, so why can't I find which titles have 5.1 or are in 1080p or have closed captioning? They need to update their site to make it a bit more functional. I'm actually about ready to pay for a feedflix premium account just to do all my queue management there in one place.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:39 AM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yeah....I don't complain much either, but in addition to that, I have a PS3 activated on my account, so why can't I find which titles have 5.1 or are in 1080p or have closed captioning? They need to update their site to make it a bit more functional. I'm actually about ready to pay for a feedflix premium account just to do all my queue management there in one place.

PS3 here as well .. if I was not such a tightwad, I'd go for the feedflix premium as well ..
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 12:58 PM 04-13-2011
I have a feeling that like many Silicon Valley companies, Netflix is rather loosely managed so no wonder they fumble on things like expiration dates. These companies are often "youth cultures" that don't like any "experienced management" around.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 01:02 PM 04-13-2011
It's also possible that displaying information like that would reveal a weakness in the product offering, not showing an expiration date makes it appear as if Netflix has this massive, unlimited library of titles, when in reality it's always in a state of flux, some moving out of the library while new titles move in. This is something competitors could take advantage of in marketing their own product.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 01:31 PM 04-13-2011
Or maybe they just want to keep us guessing ..
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 01:44 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It's also possible that displaying information like that would reveal a weakness in the product offering, not showing an expiration date makes it appear as if Netflix has this massive, unlimited library of titles, when in reality it's always in a state of flux, some moving out of the library while new titles move in. This is something competitors could take advantage of in marketing their own product.

I think that that's true of many providers. I've seen titles expire on both Zune Video and Amazon. If there's a streaming service which has managed to set up perpetual contracts with all of their content providers, then it could possibly use that in its advertising campaign, but I doubt that any exist.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 01:46 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I think that that's true of many providers. I've seen titles expire on both Zune Video and Amazon. If there's a streaming service which has managed to set up perpetual contracts with all of their content providers, then it could possibly use that in its advertising campaign, but I doubt that any exist.

And, if they did exist, we'd certainly know .. since their ad campaign would tout the "Permanent Video Library if You Subscribe to Our Service" ..
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 01:56 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I think that that's true of many providers. I've seen titles expire on both Zune Video and Amazon. If there's a streaming service which has managed to set up perpetual contracts with all of their content providers, then it could possibly use that in its advertising campaign, but I doubt that any exist.

Right, so instead of saying a particular title is available for "a limited time only", they just don't indicate anything at all, giving the illusion that the library only grows in size, not that it grows and shrinks over time.

It's like any negative aspect of a product, it's something you don't advertise, or make the information easy to find, only show the positive aspects of the offering, not the negatives.

This lack of expiration date at the Netflix site is certainly by design in my opinion, if other sites have figured out how to display the information it's difficult to imagine that Netflix themselves could not do it as well, if they chose to, which apparently they don't.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 02:00 PM 04-13-2011
As I posted earlier, since they obviously know in advance when content will become available and note that within anything in your physical disk Q, then it stands to reason that they know when their "contract" will expire as well ..

It is a sin of ommission ..
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 02:06 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

As I posted earlier, since they obviously know in advance when content will become available and note that within anything in your physical disk Q, then it stands to reason that they know when their "contract" will expire as well ..

It is a sin of ommission ..

Pretty much, in this case there is no upside for Netflix by displaying that information.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 02:08 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

This lack of expiration date at the Netflix site is certainly by design in my opinion, if other sites have figured out how to display the information it's difficult to imagine that Netflix themselves could not do it as well, if they chose to, which apparently they don't.

For better or worse I think it's simply part of their mantra. Along the lines of KISS.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 02:09 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Pretty much, in this case there is no upside for Netflix by displaying that information.

Right .. and it just dawned on me that (pure speculation) .. if they did post an expiration, then there would likely be a mad rush to get that content watched before it went away ..
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 02:12 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For better or worse I think it's simply part of their mantra. Along the lines of KISS.

Yup, don't confuse the customer with information you'd rather they don't know anyway.
mproper's Avatar mproper 02:30 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post


Yup, don't confuse the customer with information you'd rather they don't know anyway.

True, but if they really don't want people knowing the info, it wouldn't be in the API for anyone to use. That's how feedflix and instantwatcher get it.

Netflix used to put up a red expiration warning in the queue at least 4 or 5 weeks in advance. I haven't seen a warning for a long time. Used to have it on the xbox too, but I switched to the PS3 awhile back....never seen a notice on it and I don't know if they are still on the xbox.
Jim McC's Avatar Jim McC 03:27 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Right .. and it just dawned on me that (pure speculation) .. if they did post an expiration, then there would likely be a mad rush to get that content watched before it went away ..

I use Instantwatcher.com anyway, so it doesn't affect me. The dates are right there for you to see.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 04:39 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

This lack of expiration date at the Netflix site is certainly by design in my opinion, if other sites have figured out how to display the information it's difficult to imagine that Netflix themselves could not do it as well, if they chose to, which apparently they don't.

Could be, but I haven't noticed expiration dates being displayed by any of their competitors, either. As long as they don't state someplace that all of their titles would be available forever, it can be considered at worst a "lie of omission".

The XBL Netflix player displays expiration dates as you browse, though I'm not certain that any others do.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 06:51 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Could be, but I haven't noticed expiration dates being displayed by any of their competitors, either. As long as they don't state someplace that all of their titles would be available forever, it can be considered at worst a "lie of omission".

The XBL Netflix player displays expiration dates as you browse, though I'm not certain that any others do.

I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong to show or not show the information, I'm just presenting a plausible explanation as to why they don't. Obviously they could display it if they chose to, but they don't, and a logical reason is to not advertise the fact that the content has expiration dates. It's a negative no matter how you look at it, it's not something you want to "expose" to your subscribers.

As far as a "lie of omission", I'd bet a considerable sum of money that over 99% of Netflix subscribers believe that those streaming titles will be there forever, and Netflix knows this, why "disappoint" them with the truth?
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 08:13 AM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong to show or not show the information, I'm just presenting a plausible explanation as to why they don't. Obviously they could display it if they chose to, but they don't, and a logical reason is to not advertise the fact that the content has expiration dates. It's a negative no matter how you look at it, it's not something you want to "expose" to your subscribers.

As far as a "lie of omission", I'd bet a considerable sum of money that over 99% of Netflix subscribers believe that those streaming titles will be there forever, and Netflix knows this, why "disappoint" them with the truth?

The only thing I can add is, in my experience, there are titles that have been in my Q for a LONG time .. in fact, since streaming became available .. so, I'd guess that there may be "perpetual" catalog titles .. my only point being that there may be titles available forever .. I'm speculating here ..
tighr's Avatar tighr 09:48 AM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The only thing I can add is, in my experience, there are titles that have been in my Q for a LONG time .. in fact, since streaming became available .. so, I'd guess that there may be "perpetual" catalog titles .. my only point being that there may be titles available forever .. I'm speculating here ..

I've had titles "expire" and be removed from my queue, only to be automatically re-added at a later date.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:58 AM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I've had titles "expire" and be removed from my queue, only to be automatically re-added at a later date.

Yep, that too ..
mproper's Avatar mproper 09:58 AM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The only thing I can add is, in my experience, there are titles that have been in my Q for a LONG time .. in fact, since streaming became available .. so, I'd guess that there may be "perpetual" catalog titles .. my only point being that there may be titles available forever .. I'm speculating here ..

Everything in my queue has an expiration date. Of course, they stretch all the way out to November 11, 2023, but they all still have an expiration date listed (using Feedfliks).

If you are curious, just to to Feedfliks.com and link up your Netflix account and view your queue by "Expiry".....that's how I keep track of what I need to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I've had titles "expire" and be removed from my queue, only to be automatically re-added at a later date.

I think they used to go into a "saved" section in your instant queue after they expired. They also used to automatically copy movies in your disc queue that became available to your instant queue. It seems now that I have to manually copy them over. Of course, I am a bit impatient and check my queue daily, so I might be doing this before the system has a chance to.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 11:16 AM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I've had titles "expire" and be removed from my queue, only to be automatically re-added at a later date.

Me too, it happened on the first of this month with all the seasons of 24. My wife watched an episode on 3/31 and the next day all seasons disappeared from the queue only to reappear the following day. Apparently the carriage agreement expired and was then renewed.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 01:07 PM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

As far as a "lie of omission", I'd bet a considerable sum of money that over 99% of Netflix subscribers believe that those streaming titles will be there forever, and Netflix knows this, why "disappoint" them with the truth?

Exactly . Many of them will watch it before the expiration date and never know that it had one .

It's sort of like letting your kids believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny for as long as possible .
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 01:11 PM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I think they used to go into a "saved" section in your instant queue after they expired. They also used to automatically copy movies in your disc queue that became available to your instant queue. It seems now that I have to manually copy them over. Of course, I am a bit impatient and check my queue daily, so I might be doing this before the system has a chance to.

I'm "streaming-only" now, and I have a "Saved Instant" section on my Instant Queue page that has 30 items in it, placed there automatically when they expired.
mproper's Avatar mproper 01:15 PM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm "streaming-only" now, and I have a "Saved Instant" section on my Instant Queue page that has 30 items in it, placed there automatically when they expired.

Good to know. I haven't had anything expire I wasn't sure if it was still there (I'm pretty good at making sure I watch anything that is expiring)
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop