It's official!! Wal-mart buying Vudu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone think that Wal-mart will be stocking any Blu-ray players that don't support Vudu?

Quote:
Wal-Mart (WMT Quote) is stepping up the competition in the movie rental business with the acquisition of Vudu.

The retail giant announced on Monday that it is buying Vudu, an online movie service that is built into high-definition television and Blu-ray players, according to the New York Times.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10686...ockbuster.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Liked: 14
Well, yes, I would say they will offer Blu-Ray players which don't stream Vudu. However, I don't think they will offer any streaming-enabled Blu-Ray players that don't stream Vudu. Maybe that's your point, my apologies if I missed it.

I can see there will be quite a bit of demand from trailer-park-trash nation for el-cheapo Blu-Ray players that "don't have none of that stoopid streamin' stuff" as Blu-Ray gradually surpasses DVD as the de facto standard over the next several years. Time will tell.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

Well, yes, I would say they will offer Blu-Ray players which don't stream Vudu. However, I don't think they will offer any streaming-enabled Blu-Ray players that don't stream Vudu. Maybe that's your point, my apologies if I missed it.

I can see there will be quite a bit of demand from trailer-park-trash nation for el-cheapo Blu-Ray players that "don't have none of that stoopid streamin' stuff" as Blu-Ray gradually surpasses DVD as the de facto standard over the next several years. Time will tell.

I think it is going to be the opposite. Almost every player will support streaming by Holiday 2010, except for hyper-expensive boutique Blu-ray players.

For the simple reason that the chipsets will already support streaming and manufacturers will get finders fees for getting new customers to Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow, etc.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

I agree. These people are the perfect clientele for an upscale service like Vudu.

Not!

I don't know if this acquisition will turn out to be a smart thing, long term. But one thing's for certain. Trailer-park-trash is not the demographic that Vudu was initially targeting when they wrote their business plan.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think it is going to be the opposite. Almost every player will support streaming by Holiday 2010, except for hyper-expensive boutique Blu-ray players.

I know this is a bit off-topic for this thread, but it prompts me to ask -- would it be better if I waited until the end of the year to get a new Blu-ray player? I'd like to get one with streaming capabilities. Though I'm leaning towards getting either one of the new Samsung BD-C6500 or maybe a Sony...can't decide for sure yet. (I can't afford one yet anyway so there's no hurry...need to save up for it anyway.) Those will be released fairly soon (true?) so I may not wait until the end of the year in that case...

DGK
post #6 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

I know this is a bit off-topic for this thread, but it prompts me to ask -- would it be better if I waited until the end of the year to get a new Blu-ray player? I'd like to get one with streaming capabilities. Though I'm leaning towards getting either one of the new Samsung BD-C6500 or maybe a Sony...can't decide for sure yet. (I can't afford one yet anyway so there's no hurry...need to save up for it anyway.) Those will be released fairly soon (true?) so I may not wait until the end of the year in that case...

DGK

It would probably be better to wait for a BD player that supported DECE.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

It would probably be better to wait for a BD player that supported DECE.

What is the ETA on that? Managed copy has been proposed since like 2005, and they still can't get it out. Who is to say DECE won't follow the same path. For some reason these guys can't agree on digital media enough to make a unified product category that just works.

What if he doesn't care about mobility or flexible access to content? If all he wants is to sit at his main TV, there is no reason to wait for DECE.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

What is the ETA on that? Managed copy has been proposed since like 2005, and they still can't get it out. Who is to say DECE won't follow the same path. For some reason these guys can't agree on digital media enough to make a unified product category that just works.

What if he doesn't care about mobility or flexible access to content? If all he wants is to sit at his main TV, there is no reason to wait for DECE.

Quote:

Full technical specifications will be available in the first half of 2010.

http://www.decellc.com/PDF/CES_2010_Press_Release.pdf
post #9 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

::snicker:: Make that "she".

BTW it's true...I'm more of the type to just want to watch hooked up to my TV. Mobility is not something that's really important.

I've tried looking up DECE and can't find a good explanation...can someone tell me its advantages? TIA.

DGK
post #10 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

::snicker:: Make that "she".

BTW it's true...I'm more of the type to just want to watch hooked up to my TV. Mobility is not something that's really important.

I've tried looking up DECE and can't find a good explanation...can someone tell me its advantages? TIA.

DGK

In a nutshell:

Consumers will be able to use digital products they buy on cellphones, set-top boxes, computers and other devices made by a slew of manufacturers. A virtual locker will store those digital products remotely, and the system will permit some copying onto physical media like DVDs.

The technical details are still being worked out, so consumers aren't likely to see products until at least next year.

Content distributors and manufacturers won't be tied to a specific file format or copy-protection system. Rather, the virtual-locker system can convert the information behind the scenes and deliver the one compatible with a particular device.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...5828356&page=1
post #11 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

In a nutshell:

Consumers will be able to use digital products they buy on cellphones, set-top boxes, computers and other devices made by a slew of manufacturers. A virtual locker will store those digital products remotely[/b], and the system will permit some copying onto physical media like DVDs.

The technical details are still being worked out, so consumers aren't likely to see products until at least next year.

Content distributors and manufacturers won't be tied to a specific file format or copy-protection system. Rather, the virtual-locker system can convert the information behind the scenes and deliver the one compatible with a particular device.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...5828356&page=1

I guess with this system, just like Steam for VG, you don't really own what you buy and you don't get to do what you want with it either unless the tech overlord says so.

You get in fact less liberty then good old physical media.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page