Roku Won't Connect! Please Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just yesterday my Roku wouldn't connect to my Wireless network. Well to be more specific it keeps say "Can't connect to local area network" This has been driving me crazy!

First I did what it said and put the Roku's MAC address on my Router. That didn't do anything. I called the Roku Techline, but they were amazing unhelpful after spending almost 100 minutes on the phone. They kept telling me to do the same things, which didn't work.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I need to do in my Router to get the Roku to work? It should just connect. It clearly is getting the Wireless signal, but not the LAN. I don't understand why it would need a LAN since I'm doing the Wireless setup. What's going on here?

I've had this unit for a month, and it was mostly fine, but was problematic at times. Now I'm thinking I have a defective unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold View Post

Just yesterday my Roku wouldn't connect to my Wireless network. Well to be more specific it keeps say "Can't connect to local area network" This has been driving me crazy!

First I did what it said and put the Roku's MAC address on my Router. That didn't do anything. I called the Roku Techline, but they were amazing unhelpful after spending almost 100 minutes on the phone. They kept telling me to do the same things, which didn't work.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I need to do in my Router to get the Roku to work? It should just connect. It clearly is getting the Wireless signal, but not the LAN. I don't understand why it would need a LAN since I'm doing the Wireless setup. What's going on here?

I've had this unit for a month, and it was mostly fine, but was problematic at times. Now I'm thinking I have a defective unit.

You may have figured this out already. Do you have a hidden router name (SSID)? Roku seems to work best if it can 'find' a name easily, and display it so you can easily select it. If you have a non-public SSID, that may be complicating matters.

For what it's worth, I do not have my router set up to only access specific devices -- so I've never had to fiddle with my router to get Roku up and running -- I simply enter the name and password into the Roku display and if the router is working and the cable connection is not down for some reason, Roku connects. If your wireless is working well for other devices, but not roku, two things immediately come to mind. I suppose it could be a defective Roku box, or ... if your router is new and fast (80211.n) you may not have set it up to also allow slower 802.11 g (or b) connections. Unless you have a very recent Roku box, I think it maxes out at 80211.g (at least mine from a year ago did)
post #3 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

If your router is new and fast (80211.n) you may not have set it up to also allow slower 802.11 g (or b) connections.

No, The Router isn't New! It doesn't run on 802.11 g or b connections.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM

If you don't get help here, I'd suggest posting to the Roku Forums. There are a lot of people over there that I'm sure would be glad to help out.

Stick an "http://" on the link below to get there...

forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28&start=0
post #5 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Good idea about the roku forums. I believe my roku box is maxing out at 802.11 g but the newest ( HD) one goes to 802.11n

On my router , which is an airport express, I use a WPA2personal password and an open ID, but I've also been able to connect with a hidden SSID.
Roku sees it and asks for the password if it's open *(you should see it displaying on the network array on the screen).

Can you get other (non roku) wireless connections , to confirm that the router is sending a signal out?

My first guess was that it was not able to negotiate some of the security additions (such as stipulating specific MAC numbers for access). If it used to work OK but now isn't, have you tried resetting the box and/or the modem/router?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried resetting everything. It hasn't worked! I also tried connecting the Roku directly with an Ethernet cable, and it still didn't work!

I honestly think I have a defective Unit!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just so people know I got my Roku to replace my unit. The new unit works fine. It was a defective unit. It takes a lot of work to convince the people on the Tech Line you need a new unit though!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 PM

How long did it take you to recieve a replacement? I just recieved my box today in the mail, and have had nothing but problems trying to get it to connect... "can't connect to local network". I just spent 2hrs on the phone with tech support, and now I have to wait for them to call me back tomorrow?!?! Seriously??
post #9 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM

you can contact with your network abmin or contact with your service provider

Rent to buy Electronics
post #10 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM

I had a similar issue in that I use "Untangle" for my firewall. The issue is that the Roku MUST be able to ping the gateway. If you have modified your configuration (in the interest of security) to drop pings to the gateway interface, this will occur. So, first check to see if you have any intra-zone blocking going on - in the case you did what I did, you will need to re-modify the Untangle config to allow pings to the internal interfaces. After I did that, the Roku was able to connect successfully.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Just in case someone eals runs into this problem , it drove me nuts , I could not connect to wireless, error 14, everything I read says router neads tweaking , but this worked great,
1. Plug roku into modem with Ethernet
2. Connect to wireless while it is plugged into Ethernet
3. Unplug Ethernet and you will still be connected via wireless.
You can move you roku anywhere you want after that and it should still easily connect to your wireless , hope this helps
post #12 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 11
i have two roku XD boxes (model 2050x), and neither will do wireless now. same problem, error 14. started about a week ago.

roku customer service says that "error 14" means it's not getting an IP from the router once the wi-fi link is made, and, naturally, insists it's not their fault.

i tried what northernlight11 tried (connect via wireless while ethernet is plugged in) but it doesn't work.

all my other wireless devices are connecting to the same router without any issues.

i've gone through multiple resets, including pushing the reset button with a paperclip, power-cycling, and doing a factory reset in the setup screen

i've tried various changes to the router, including reserving IP addresses for the MAC addresses of the roku boxes.

nothing is convincing these units that they are getting connected via wireless.

they both still connect perfectly when wired.

i know one thing. i will be happy when it comes time to replace both of those televisions with sets that have built-in internet apps. because roku is not going to get another nickel of my money.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by packy_mcfrag View Post

i have two roku XD boxes (model 2050x), and neither will do wireless now. same problem, error 14. started about a week ago.

roku customer service says that "error 14" means it's not getting an IP from the router once the wi-fi link is made, and, naturally, insists it's not their fault.

i tried what northernlight11 tried (connect via wireless while ethernet is plugged in) but it doesn't work.

all my other wireless devices are connecting to the same router without any issues.

i've gone through multiple resets, including pushing the reset button with a paperclip, power-cycling, and doing a factory reset in the setup screen

i've tried various changes to the router, including reserving IP addresses for the MAC addresses of the roku boxes.

nothing is convincing these units that they are getting connected via wireless.

they both still connect perfectly when wired.

i know one thing. i will be happy when it comes time to replace both of those televisions with sets that have built-in internet apps. because roku is not going to get another nickel of my money.

How long have you had these units? They may be defective. If it's under 30 days you should be able to get a replacement.. Also, what type of router are you using?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page