AVS Forum banner

Netflix 5.1 surround sound

10K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  michaeltscott 
#1 ·
This may be old news but I didn't find a thread on it.

I seem to be getting true 5.1 surround sound (Dolby DTS decoding light on for the receiver) with several Netflix titles on a PS3 using toslink optical connection between PS3/receiver. Can anyone else confirm? I don't think it's simulated, seems to be the real deal.

Edit: The PS3 video info button (triangle 'display' during play) says it's just a 2 channel Dolby Digital audio, so I'm beginning to doubt this, but it seems to be decoding DTS as the light on my receiver says. There are also rear sounds that seem specifically for the rear rather than simulated. Can't say for sure... someone else check it out.

Try Pan's Labyrinth or Matrix movies.

#6 ·
Just checked Pan's Labyrinth and both Matrix movies (that are available to watch instant). All were in stereo.

I suspect your receiver is just doing some conversion since the PS3 says it's getting a stereo signal.

Trust me when I say when Netflix does get 5.1, it will be all over the interwebz as a major announcement and not something they sneak in a couple of titles.

#8 ·
Before you test, make sure your PS3 is properly setup to do 5.1 with digital connection. Check PS3 sound settings to ensure it will decode DTS content. First check you get true 5.1 with a game. Most receivers show if DTS decoding is enabled.

The curious thing is the DTS decoding light shows up for some Netflix content but not others, so leads me to believe that 5.1 is happening. Yet the PS3 video info says it's 2 channel. Is it possible to have DTS decoding triggered with 2 channel audio content?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophonite /forum/post/18403384

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...und_sound.html

I obviously meant when something official concerning dates/titles/systems is available. I do think it will be part of the 360's fall update (usually in November) so I think we'll hear an official announcement in June/July (possibly at E3). Just my completely unsubstantiated no-facts-to-back-it-up thoughts.

#11 ·
They do "sneak" something like that in for testing. They did this when Roku was testing HD - saw it myself.

I'm not convinced though. Just find it odd that I'm just now seeing DTS decoding on my receiver and did not beforehand. And it doesn't seem to be surround simulation to the rear speakers.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/18403646

I obviously meant when something official concerning dates/titles/systems is available. I do think it will be part of the 360's fall update (usually in November) so I think we'll hear an official announcement in June/July (possibly at E3). Just my completely unsubstantiated no-facts-to-back-it-up thoughts.

They usually do 2 updates each year.... I hope its part of the spring update (which has yet to go out)

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar /forum/post/18404081

They usually do 2 updates each year.... I hope its part of the spring update (which has yet to go out)

I kindof think if it was we'd have heard about it by now and they'd be touting it more than the ability to use flash drives (which is the only update we know about right now)

Just my two cents. I kindof hope they announce Netflix using the Zune Marketplace 1080p 5.1 tech (even if it's licensed just for XBOX since that's what I use). That's most likely very wishful thinking, but I can dream

#15 ·
When you guys say it's not working, do you mean you get no sound in rear speakers or that it's not true 5.1?

I've been testing more and some movies direct no sound to rear speakers, yet others do. Pan's Labyrinth definitely does (the 5.1 DTS light is on receiver), especially when the little fairies are flying around, you can hear them behind you. Maybe it's simulated but it's curious that other movies have no rear speaker action at all.

I'm using an optical connection to receiver and had to setup PS3 to accept DTS optical in sound settings.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophonite /forum/post/18442481

When you guys say it's not working, do you mean you get no sound in rear speakers or that it's not true 5.1?

I've been testing more and some movies direct no sound to rear speakers, yet others do. Pan's Labyrinth definitely does (the 5.1 DTS light is on receiver), especially when the little fairies are flying around, you can hear them behind you. Maybe it's simulated but it's curious that other movies have no rear speaker action at all.

I'm using an optical connection to receiver and had to setup PS3 to accept DTS optical in sound settings.

Well this is strange - on my XBOX360 - why I try to play Pans Labyrinth it show the normal testing connecting message and the '5.1 surround' lights up on my receiver! It says I have an HD connection - but instead of playing - it then does another test - HD again but this time stereo and the movie plays. Very repeatable and only on Pans Labyrinth. I wonder if they are testing something? On my BD390 Pan Labyrinth tests the connection and starts up normally in stereo.

#18 ·
I've done more testing and am definitely getting rear speaker action on Pan's Lab as well as Matrix Reloaded. I'm fairly certain it's true 5.1 and not simulated. When watching the start of Matrix, the green computer image screen has static balls that go from rear to front and the speakers follow it. Gunfire in first scene goes from front to back. Methinks Netflix 5.1 really is testing right now. Make sure PS3 is setup to do DTS and you have a digital connection to receiver that can do DTS 5.1.

The strange thing is that the 5.1 light now comes on for all Netflix content. I tried 1960s, 70s movies and the 5.1 decoder light comes on, however as expected no rear speaker action at all.

#19 ·
I was thinking of getting this service because it was free. But now I am questioning - why would anyone do this for movies if all you got was stereo. I would just order the DVD.

I am really missing all the hype - unless this is just for people who enjoy watching movies on a PC with stereo headphones. I guess that would work for me on a plane - but frankly even then I would just rather read a book.

I think I will stick with BluRay, Vudu, and then DVD.

#21 ·
Don't get me wrong. I love Netflix as a service. I just don't get the poor quality download service in stereo. I would rather get the DVD in the mail next day. And of course BluRay is the best option. But it seems that all this hype is over convenience and heck - people watch movies on Iphone size devices - so to each his own I guess.

I will be interested in their service once they get 5.1. Then - for free - I guess the convenience of streaming does come in handy if I can't get the disc right away and Vudu doesn't have it in HDX.

#22 ·
^^

PQ is fine for most titles and many movies don't need 5.1. Do you really care if a documentary or a dialogue-driven film is in 5.1? Or a TV show that was never in 5.1 in the first place?

Obviously action/horror/sci-fi etc would be better in 5.1, but it's not necessary for many dramas/comedies/documentaries, etc where the rear channels wouldn't be used anyways.

I love the streaming, but for any special effects or surround-heavy films, I still get the Blu-Ray (if available) sent to me.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/18485461

^^

PQ is fine for most titles and many movies don't need 5.1. Do you really care if a documentary or a dialogue-driven film is in 5.1? Or a TV show that was never in 5.1 in the first place?

Obviously action/horror/sci-fi etc would be better in 5.1, but it's not necessary for many dramas/comedies/documentaries, etc where the rear channels wouldn't be used anyways.

I love the streaming, but for any special effects or surround-heavy films, I still get the Blu-Ray (if available) sent to me.

PQ is ok on a PC or small TV. Looks horrible in my hometheater. On documentaries I do not care about audio. However most new docs are coming out on BluRay or are in HDX on Vudu. TV shows do not require 5.1 unless they are HBO/Showtime series like Rome/Tudors/ True Blood etc. Also, any TV worth watching is in HD 5.1 and can be Tivoed or ordered later on BluRay. With so much high quality HD content out there - not sure why i want to waste my time with OK or "fine" picture and stereo sound.

I guess if I just have to watch that old TV show that was not in HD - Netflix streaming is the place to go though.

It is services like this that dumb down or go backwards in quality in favor of convenience. To be fair - there are a lot of people who opt for low cost and convenience though.

The day Netflix delivers a Vudu or better yet -- XstreamHD experience via streaming -- I will be a happy camper.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak /forum/post/18485799

The day Netflix delivers a Vudu or better yet -- XstreamHD experience via streaming -- I will be a happy camper.

The day Vudu HDX or Zune Smooth Streaming offers Netflix pricing I will be a happy camper!

I do agree I have a lot of TV and Movies on a 1TB Directv HD DVR and would watch them there first - or get the Blu-Ray from Netflix.

But I am also surprised that you find the Netflix HD quality so bad - it looks better than DVD and often close to Directv HD on a 50" TV - at least for much of the recently available TV shows and Movies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.