Is there a Netflix-capable device that outputs 1080i over component? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since netflix HD streams are 720p and my TV is a Panny HD CRT that only accepts 480 i/p and 1080i, is there a BD player that will scale to 1080i over component?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
None that I know of for Netflix, your only options are buying a new HDTV or a DVDO upscaler.
http://www.anchorbaytech.com/products/systems/
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I bought an HDFury 3 (though the 2 will also work) to work with HDMI to component. Works great with the Samsung C5500.
http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury3.shtm
post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No device I know of. You'll need some kind of conveter. The Roku is capable, but never enabled.

One device I know will do it because I have it, and just remembered is the PS3. You have to remember to set the PS3 to a max video output to 1080i. You'll have to get the Netflix DVD from Netflix; have to use the disc when ever using the service until it is added to the firmware.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

No device I know of. You'll need some kind of conveter. The Roku is capable, but never enabled.

One device I know will do it because I have it, and just remembered is the PS3. You have to remember to set the PS3 to a max video output to 1080i. You'll have to get the Netflix DVD from Netflix; have to use the disc when ever using the service until it is added to the firmware.

Well, an Xbox360 would also do it but I don't particularly want either one. The X360 costs $50/year to be able to use online features like Netflix. Netflix is currently free on PS3 but with Hulu Plus being on the pay tier of PS3 online services, I would bet that Netflix is soon to follow, especially since Sony has no qualms about removing features from their hardware (backward compatibility and Linux). One other gripe I have with the PS3 is that a lot of the games aren't setup to output 1080i and since the PS3 doesn't have a proper hardware scaler, if the game isn't specifically set up to do 1080i, it gives you a black screen ("I've borrowed one to check). Since I couldn't get full functionality out of a PS3, it sticks in my craw to buy one.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I bought an HDFury 3 (though the 2 will also work) to work with HDMI to component. Works great with the Samsung C5500.
http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury3.shtm

So, once I get HDMI into my HDTV, what devices will output Netflix at 1080i over HDMI? I'll still need 720p to 1080i conversion.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

The Roku is capable, but never enabled.

The Roku outputs HD content at 720p over HDMI and component.

winghus: since you don't like any of the suggestions here why don't you just use 480p and let your tv upscale?
post #8 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

My Pioneer set only takes 480 i/p and 1080i and I'm using a Samsung C5500 BD player. About all players will allow you to set 720p or 1080i/p out. The player will take care of the upversion from 720p (and other stream resolutions) to 1080p then the HDFury takes that HDMI output and converts it to 1080i component. The Netflix 720p streams look fine with my system.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Agree with Brian Conrad and MovieGeek;

Using a ROKU XR, the device works fine on a 1080 flatscreen.

I thought that the XR model would allow 1080, versus the HD model, but when reading the specifications it only facilitates N-WIFI. As I now use a Netgear N-WIFI, I elected to purchase that model. And it does work very well integrated and connected into our WIFI net.

Of interest to others might be a non-technical subjective comparison I did of Netflix playback on a Win 7-64 bit Media Centre PC, and Netflix using the ROKU, with HDMI connection. This study of mine utilised the online film " NORDWAND " or North Face Eiger, an HD streamer in the Netflix library. I chose this film as I know the area, used to cycle up on an old one speed as money was tight, to campout and climb, and know the story.

NETFLIX-WIN 7 PC using MEDIA CENTRE:
The PC version is darker, and not full of highlights or details: SD quality.

ROKU XR:
The ROKU XR version is clearly better, HD quality at 720, with more detail and more colour.

Both use a B&O Beosound 3200 with Beolab 4000 speakers, so the digital audio is excellent and the same quality.

I decided to further to brave the storm, take my own personal view out of the picture, and stick my neck on the chopping block on this one. I sat my wife down with her critical European eye, and let her look at both versions, starting with the Netflix Win 7 option. She dislikes climbing films as I banged up my head years ago in a rockfall while climbing, so this test was ACTUALLY DANGEROUS to my health.

When I switched to the ROKU device, her learned and final reply then came: " Now that's more like it. " Critiquely, she watched the entire film. Wisely, I will leave it at that.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, as someone who has an HDTV from 2000 (mits 55" rear projection) I know your problem well. My HDTV only has one HDTV input, and will only accept 480i/p and 1080i; but will take 720p OTA.

Thus the only device I could think of that has the BR and Netflix, and can output 1080i is the PS3; why I did not think of the 360 (no BR).

HDFury works great. I use with my Mac Mini HTPC. The newest one is $300. Add in a cheap ( which is at least $100, might as well get the PS3; it will probably be cheaper.

I also own two Roku boxes, the XR model. They have component out. Unfortunately, they only output 720p max. The box does not do any video scaling for componont video. Thus your TV will do like and give you no picture when you set the box for HD. It will show 480p fine though.

As far as I know, HDMI is a pure digital signal, so a converter cable is not going to work (HDMI to component). But if the device does out put an ananlog signal over HDMI, you might get lucky.

I know it is not the answer you want to read. Bottom line, you have to what is going make sense for you. A new TV for HDMI and no converter boxes, or a PS3, or some other device. In my opinion, not considering the gaming aspect, for what you want, the PS3 is you cheapest solution; it is actually a pretty good and robust BR player too.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

My Pioneer set only takes 480 i/p and 1080i and I'm using a Samsung C5500 BD player. About all players will allow you to set 720p or 1080i/p out. The player will take care of the upversion from 720p (and other stream resolutions) to 1080p then the HDFury takes that HDMI output and converts it to 1080i component. The Netflix 720p streams look fine with my system.

Thank you! That was the answer I needed and no one seemed able to give me (that most players will upscale the Netflix streams over HDMI but not component). At least now I know I'll either need to get an HDFury2/3 and a player like your Samsung OR put up with 480p from a Roku box. I'm not sure if it's worth the money to get an HDFury2/3 and a player versus just getting a newer TV so I may end up with the Roku. I was really hoping there was a BR player that would scale the 720p Netflix via component but I knew it wasn't likely. Thanks for all the help guys.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Another thing to consider is that studios will soon be able to downres to 480p when playing a Bluray disc over component. If you want to keep an older set with NO HDMI then HDMI to component converters will be necessary.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page