Roku HD-XR and NetFlix -- Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am completely new to movie streaming.

I currently have wireless internet (both cable and DSL) and an Onkyo 705 receiver.

I do understand that NetFlix does not stream true HD content but I would be happy with DVD-grade streams.

Using the Roku HD-XR, would I just connect it straight to my Onkyo via HDMI then output to my TV -- a 6-year-old Westinghouse 32" 1080i LCD?

I do like the idea of unlimited downloads via NetFlix.

Any input would be appreciated.

Note: Found the answer to my question.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-08-2010, 07:14 PM

Liked: 10
Yes Alan.

But you already know that now.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That's what this place is for, to ask questions. I've been helped many times. I have two Roku boxes and love them. No problems whatsoever, PQ is very good and I never have problem finding things to watch. Usually have 70-80 items in my que. Hope you enjoy your purchase.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 05:53 PM

I have found that my ROKU HD-XR puts out a good quality picture when running at 480 lines over HDMI or component. The picture quality is much worse on composite. Maybe it's my TV but I doubt it. My old DVD player looks good on the TV hooked up either composite or component. Anyone else compared the outputs of the HD-XR?
Bill
post #5 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 09:06 AM

My Roku HD-XR and my Sharp Aquos TV have handshake problems over HDMI. The ROKU screen locks up and I was having to unplug and plug it back in over and over. Then I found I could power the TV off and back on again and the ROKU lock up would be solved each time.

HDMI handshake problems are well known on the internet. Some say that changing cables might solve the problem. I guess some HDMI cables might be terminated or wired differently. Anyway I have now begun using component video as an alternative. I'll report if I have any other ROKU problems.

I do like the ROKU user interface and multiple channel access. I'm using it for mainly Netflix and Pandora with some ROKU News Channel. No Amazon on demand yet; but I have registered and have a $10 gift cert credit.

Bill
post #6 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 AM

I think you will like that Amazon on demand gift credit. I find the prices to be very reasonable, and the quality to be fairly excellent. 2.99 for an HD rental isn't too bad, and I've rarely had issues. The quality is much better over Netflix, it's just a more expensive service to use.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-27-2010, 12:32 AM

Anyone know what resolution the ROKU outputs over component video, for both Netflix and Amazon VOD?
post #8 of 20 Old 08-27-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTHF View Post

Anyone know what resolution the ROKU outputs over component video, for both Netflix and Amazon VOD?

720p for their HD movies only.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 AM

That's not bad. Thanks joe.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Forum members,
I like to know whether it's worth the extra $20.00 for the XR box? I know it has faster wireless speed, but what I'm concerned with is the video output. When using NetFlix & Amazon will it make a difference? I guess what I'm getting at is there enough 1080 media from these two sites to make the added cost worth it? Or am I still going to be streaming 99% 720 media?
Interested in what you members think.
Thanks,
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #11 of 20 Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

Forum members,
I like to know whether it's worth the extra $20.00 for the XR box? I know it has faster wireless speed, but what I'm concerned with is the video output. When using NetFlix & Amazon will it make a difference? I guess what I'm getting at is there enough 1080 media from these two sites to make the added cost worth it? Or am I still going to be streaming 99% 720 media?
Interested in what you members think.
Thanks,
Ghpr13

I think right now, there isn't any 1080 media being streamed by those two, Netflix for sure not sure about Amazon. But I have two HD units hooked up to a 37" LCD and a 34" CRT and both look very good. Both are hard wired though. I just bought one of the XR units because of the announcement of a firmware upgrade to 1080 by Roku (Netflix has already said they should begin streaming 1080 next year, who knows?) since I want to stream in my dedicated HT to a 1080p 65" plasma. I figure the $20 is worth it just because of this future-proofing factor. I am hard wiring to the plasma also so the wireless isn't a factor though it's nice to know I have it on at least one unit. Will there be much of a difference? I know that 720 media that is upconverted to 1080p on the plasma (both dvds and cable programming) look very good on my display (which, by the way, was ISF calibrated). So I'm assuming there may be an improvement in the Netflix 720 streaming but it will depend on the stream, your eyes and if your display (or some other unit) will upconvert and/or accept 1080 media.

post #12 of 20 Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

I think right now, there isn't any 1080 media being streamed by those two, Netflix for sure not sure about Amazon. But I have two HD units hooked up to a 37" LCD and a 34" CRT and both look very good. Both are hard wired though. I just bought one of the XR units because of the announcement of a firmware upgrade to 1080 by Roku (Netflix has already said they should begin streaming 1080 next year, who knows?) since I want to stream in my dedicated HT to a 1080p 65" plasma. I figure the $20 is worth it just because of this future-proofing factor. I am hard wiring to the plasma also so the wireless isn't a factor though it's nice to know I have it on at least one unit. Will there be much of a difference? I know that 720 media that is upconverted to 1080p on the plasma (both dvds and cable programming) look very good on my display (which, by the way, was ISF calibrated). So I'm assuming there may be an improvement in the Netflix 720 streaming but it will depend on the stream, your eyes and if your display (or some other unit) will upconvert and/or accept 1080 media.

Subavision212,
Thanks for that reply. I feel the same way you do. The XR might just be worth it for the future. I got to do a little more research. I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet and I just seen a nice Samsung for $200.00 with NetFlix, wireless, and even 3D (not that I'm into 3D, but again looking towards future), that may be worth it more to me.
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #13 of 20 Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Twenty bucks for future proofing is a no-brainer.

That said, I think worrying about getting 1080p on any display smaller than 42" is a waste of time and money. 720 looks pretty dang good on a 42" and I happily watch it all the time without thinking about it. And as noted, there is 720 and then there is 720. It all depends on your device and your source. You can bet for example that when Apple starts streaming 720p to the new Apple TV it will be very clean 720....
post #14 of 20 Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 PM

ON THE ROKU XR:

1. Yes, it is worth the price. Watching NETFLIX streamed from the PC, is SD. Using the XR, hardwired to the Ethernet, and HDMI connected directly to our flatscreen it is HD.

2. Our inexpensive 42 " Digital Lifestyle flatscreen ( general use TV) shows a 1024x768 level when the ROKU XR is turned on. The film quality varies by the film shown, with less resolution and a slightly more grain with some older films.

3. When we HDMI-connect it to our better B&O 40" upstairs ( using a very long ethernet cable given it's location ) the XR picture resolution level and sound is even better. But I'm sure that is more of the difference between an inexpensive and expensive monitor

4. But again, for the highest resolution results, the NETFLIX rental DVDs provides the best resolution result. With some of the Criterion Collection remasters, we first watch a film we like, and then rent it from NETFLIX as a DVD. The DVD player is a simple TRENT multi-region HDMI unit, made in China, but 1080i is noticeable improvement.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Curious about the new Roku XDS ... it seems to be the only one in the new line up with component output, but it's not the standard cables, it's a mini to 3 plug type. I like to use component in the mix with other HDMI equipment. Wonder if it might be better to try to find one of the older models, rather than the new XDs My tv accepts up to 1080i, and I'm not sure if the new roku would be compatible, though I assume it would be OK as most of the movies are not sent out from Roku at 1080p, anyway. I think that's an 'extra' feature for Vimeo,etc and possibly stuff stored on usb. Anyone know for sure - does it just scale down if the destination device or the cable speed isn't up to the highest high def standard?
post #16 of 20 Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Just get an adapter if you want to use componant. That's a better solution than buying old technology just to get the full plugs.

Yes it will gracefully downgrade the resolution based on bandwidth/source.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Liked: 13
I thought the new Roku XDS only outputs 480P on the component cables, and like most other companies, conforms to the HD only over HDMI?

That's why I purchased the HD-XR - for the 720P on component. Since my whole system is component, and my monitor is 720P, I don't care about 1080P anyway (at least not for now).

I also read at some point there would be firmware enabling 1080p on these older units - but I'm guessing it will disable the 720P over Component, so I'll be careful about that too.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 PM

I hope someone here can help me. I recently bought a roku lt. I could not get it to work so i returned it, thinking the device was defective, and bought another which i can also not get to work.

This is my problem - after connecting everything as instructed, i cannot get the start up message on my tv.

What i have done - I have connected the roku to a power source. I have connected the roku, with the enclosed A/V cable, to the tv, both directly through the av ports in the front of the tv and indirectly, through a receiver that is attached to the tv for connecting to a vcr, dvd player, cd player, (i have tried using several of the available ports and used the receiver option to find the source - to no avail) and surround sound (neither method of connecting seems to make an impact and i still see no message screen). my internet cable connection is up and running (functioning off of a linksys router and motorola modum). My laptops, ipad and wireless printer function off the connection without difficulty. I was told that the roku start up page should show up on channel 2 or 3, but i have searched through all of the channels and not found it anywhere.

I don't know what else to do. Please help.
thank you,
elizabeth
post #19 of 20 Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you're plugging it directly into the tv, you need to change the input on the tv, not the channel. I'm not familiar with what kind of cables you're using (or what came with it) but cycle thought your inputs until it shows up.

Likewise if you're using a receiver...cycle through the inputs on the receiver until it shows up. Of course depending on how you have your receiver hooked up, you might need to change the input on the tv as well, but that really depends on how you're hooking the Roku up to the receiver and how you're receiver is hooked up to the tv.

Probably be best to try to get the direct hookup to the tv working first, or post back with what kind of cables and receiver you're using.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 PM

you hit the nail on the head, thank you.

it was changing the video input that i was not doing. it took me some time to figure it out on the remote but i am now set up. i really appreciate your help,

ty,
elizabeth
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page