Hulu vs Hulu plus vs Netflix TV comparison chart - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Video Download Services & Hardware > Hulu vs Hulu plus vs Netflix TV comparison chart

Video Download Services & Hardware

Cygnus2112's Avatar Cygnus2112
02:29 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 29
08-30-2010 | Posts: 398
Some TV shows are missing but its pretty accurate.

http://lifehacker.com/5623690/hulu-p...int-each-other

mproper's Avatar mproper
08:27 AM Liked: 13
post #2 of 29
08-31-2010 | Posts: 7,043
That's a cool chart...nice to see it broken down since I've been thinking about Hulu Plus.

I would like to point out that the chart says Netflix doesn't have any Family Guy, but there are in fact, 8 seasons available to watch instant (all but the current one), which makes Netflix (not Hulu Plus) the winner in that category. I did not check the others, as Family Guy just stuck out as something I knew was available at Netflix.

I did check Greatest American Hero because I know that's one of those annoying ones where there is two episodes at Netflix for season 1 that are "disc only".....there are 44 episodes total, so only 42 are available at Netflix to watch instant. However, if you go to Hulu Plus, it says there are only 41 episodes available (so there's an additional one missing from Hulu Plus).

EDIT: Checked out Family Guy at Hulu Plus and there are in fact, 8 seasons there as well. Must be the chart above is a bit out of date, but does give a general idea, at least.
mhufnagel's Avatar mhufnagel
10:12 AM Liked: 92
post #3 of 29
08-31-2010 | Posts: 1,044
While it is a very informative chart. It is too skued to Hulu. The one thing that Netflix has overwhelmingly in it's favor is that it has thousands of movies available for streaming.

Like I said yesterday. A combination of Hulu plus and Netflix would be a cable/satellite killer for many, if not most, people.
moviegeek's Avatar moviegeek
10:19 AM Liked: 13
post #4 of 29
08-31-2010 | Posts: 1,715
I wish Hulu Plus or Netflix had all seasons of SNL.

It looks like the upcoming Sony N100 STB(as will all Bravia devices) will have Hulu Plus this fall:

https://live.sonystyle.com/webapp/wc...S_BIV_showcase
jagouar's Avatar jagouar
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 29
08-31-2010 | Posts: 5,762
It is missing the starz tv series on the netflix side..... spartacus: blood and sand and the pillars of the earth.
JohnnyLongarms's Avatar JohnnyLongarms
10:34 AM Liked: 10
post #6 of 29
08-31-2010 | Posts: 23
Nice chart, should have had another column though, titles "Internet." Every row would just say "All episodes" =P
Charles R's Avatar Charles R
06:18 PM Liked: 218
post #7 of 29
08-31-2010 | Posts: 10,204
I don't think you can judge strictly by the number of seasons… like with 24 Netflix has 1-7 and Hulu Plus has 8. There are tons of series not listed… Weeds, Dexter, Rescue Me, overseas shows such as Doc Martian. Looks like to me they took all of the shows Hulu Plus offered at the time and compared them to Hula and Netflix.
adidino's Avatar adidino
06:20 PM Liked: 49
post #8 of 29
08-31-2010 | Posts: 4,221
Netflix has family guy seasons. You should update that chart,
Ironlight's Avatar Ironlight
05:35 AM Liked: 10
post #9 of 29
09-09-2010 | Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Like I said yesterday. A combination of Hulu plus and Netflix would be a cable/satellite killer for many, if not most, people.

It *is* a cable killer. Both of them together set you back $19 a month. When was the last time you paid $19 for cable?
homank76's Avatar homank76
05:46 AM Liked: 11
post #10 of 29
09-09-2010 | Posts: 662
Will Hulu work overseas? I know netflix won't.
beaudot's Avatar beaudot
07:22 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 29
09-09-2010 | Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post

It *is* a cable killer. Both of them together set you back $19 a month. When was the last time you paid $19 for cable?

So long as you don't watch sports, and hbo programming.
hardax's Avatar hardax
01:04 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 29
09-09-2010 | Posts: 192
I'd get rid of cable tomorrow if Food Network and HGTV had complete programing online. My wife would kill me if I did so without that.
01:30 PM Liked: 218
post #13 of 29
09-09-2010 | Posts: 10,204
Quote:

I have both Netflix and Hulu Plus and gladly give Dish $38.51 (with HD DVR) for my satellite service. I ran out of interesting things to watch on Netflix so I switched to Hulu Plus and ran out dramatically quicker. Both are great for discovering/viewing series however you eventually catch up (in most cases much faster than they are replenished with new content you want to view).

Even with my limited satellite line-up (Dish HD Absolute) and OTA the new content (what I care to view) is x times greatly. And even if I have something I want to view on both in most cases streaming loses outside of catching a complete season of a series such as 24. For the foreseeable future I define the two services as Premium Channel Killers I know I'll stream over signing up for the more expensive HBO, Showtime, etc.
Ironlight's Avatar Ironlight
02:54 PM Liked: 10
post #14 of 29
09-09-2010 | Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For the foreseeable future I define the two services as Premium Channel Killers I know I'll stream over signing up for the more expensive HBO, Showtime, etc.

Fair enough. I think it all boils down to what your viewing habits are. I don't watch a lot of sports and I have a few shows that I follow. I don't care about seeing them precisely when they air so that is not a huge driver for me either.

When I do finally drop cable, I just realized that will mean the end of my TiVo box and subscription as well. Another savings.

I say all this and here I am, still paying for cable, so clearly the value prop is not so compelling quite yet. There is the convenience factor of cable+TiVo that is sort of hard to beat right now.
03:43 PM Liked: 218
post #15 of 29
09-09-2010 | Posts: 10,204
Quote:

I say all this and here I am, still paying for cable, so clearly the value prop is not so compelling quite yet. There is the convenience factor of cable+TiVo that is sort of hard to beat right now.

I dropped cable for close to a year. I only used OTA and a TiVo. I can't be DVR less for even OTA so unless I was willing to use a dumb DVR for $350 or so or a PC (with its own associated costs) I was looking close to $20 a month for the ongoing subscription costs plus hardware (such as the hard drive I had to replace). For $38.51 I get a HD DVR maintenance free plus all of the HD channels I care to view. I also just got a quote from Comcast for $40 with even more HD channels and a HD DVR guaranteed for 24 months. So my deal isn't that special.

Until the Internet can deliver the major networks I can't see streaming going mainstream and until then I need a DVR. Which offsets a lot of the cost of cable/satellite.
jeffm13's Avatar jeffm13
07:20 PM Liked: 16
post #16 of 29
10-05-2010 | Posts: 148
My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I just had to comment. I built a new house a couple years ago. We've been living in it since last June. Although it wasn't initially a goal, we haven't yet turned on cable. Through OTA, Netflix and Apple TV, we've been able to entertain ourselves pretty well without it.

Until recently, I was hoping I'd be able to make this a long-term thing. I had almost convinced myself that I could get away without putting money in the cable companies' pockets. Everything looks so promising on the streaming front. With Roku announcing support for Hulu, and Google TV hinting at it, we're just about there. I thought about hobbling together my own HTPC. But Roku and Google TV would theoretically make that unnecessary for me.

But we're just not there yet. I can't take it anymore! 90% of the content we've purchased on the Apple TV, and 90% of the titles in my online queue are videos for my 4-year-old (he adds them to the Netflix queue himself). Yes, I realize that there is other content available on both platforms, but we've just about run out of TV series that we want to watch on Netflix. It's a hassle to hook up the laptop to the TV, and the video quality pretty much suck (even with Adobe 10.1) so Hulu is out--at least until Roku or Google TV or Boxee offer it, or until I decide to build my own HTPC. Netflix is great, video quality is better, and with a Samsung Blu-Ray player it's a bit more convenient, but the selection of titles available for streaming is too limited.

But even if I were to buy a Roku or Google TV box, and get access to Hulu Plus, the experience just isn't the same as being able to surf channels. I decided to relax last weekend, and thought to myself: "I can just sit around and watch TV all weekend." But then I remembered: I don't have cable, so there's not necessarily a lot on TV that I want to watch.

HGTV and the Food Channel are calling. I broked down and ordered U-verse. It's getting installed on Oct 21. Maybe I'll revisit this decision next fall.
joed32's Avatar joed32
07:27 AM Liked: 39
post #17 of 29
10-06-2010 | Posts: 2,042
I only checked the last one "Ugly Betty" and the chart says "X" for netflix when in fact they have 4 seasons. Based on that the chart is somewhat flawed.
adidino's Avatar adidino
10:16 AM Liked: 49
post #18 of 29
10-06-2010 | Posts: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I only checked the last one "Ugly Betty" and the chart says "X" for netflix when in fact they have 4 seasons. Based on that the chart is somewhat flawed.

That chart is from an article and it's not accurate. It's a waste of a chart and should be ignored.
mproper's Avatar mproper
10:46 AM Liked: 13
post #19 of 29
10-06-2010 | Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

That chart is from an article and it's not accurate. It's a waste of a chart and should be ignored.

Not only that, but it was out of date when it was posted, and that was over a month ago (a lifetime in the streaming world when thousands of titles become available every week on various services)
jagouar's Avatar jagouar
11:03 AM Liked: 10
post #20 of 29
10-06-2010 | Posts: 5,762
Since this thread has been bumped.... does anybody still have hulu+ and can comment on if new series are being added? I am specifically wondering if any of the other networks that are on hulu.com website have made the transition to hulu+. Personally I think its inexcusable that all the stuff on the website is not on hulu+ yet. I am interested in looking at it next year when it goes live on the xbox and hopefully it will have most of the hulu.com content by then but was wondering if they have been adding content since the beta began..... doesn't really look like much has gone up according to the hulu+ website but I don't have access to the actual service to see.
mfreeman73's Avatar mfreeman73
12:55 PM Liked: 10
post #21 of 29
10-06-2010 | Posts: 12
I have Hulu+ and access it from my computer and also my Samsung BD player. I just got the player a couple of days ago, so I'm still figuring out what all is on it, but it seems to have new shows all the time.

For example, No Ordinary Family aired last night and it looks like I could see the episode on my Samsung through Hulu+ today.

Offering current shows through Hulu+ seems to be a winning direction for them. Netflix is nice, but from what I see the only TV shows I can watch on it are shows that are out on DVD. But, for current shows it seems you have to go Hulu.

Now, if Hulu would get more networks added, such as FoodTV and HGTV, then I'd be even closer to cutting the cord. When Hulu starts offering all of the current shows I enjoy within a few days of them airing then I'll ditch satellite and pay my $10 a month for Hulu. This may take a while since it's all about money and contracts. Hopefully, we'll eventually get to the place where you can watch any show ever made or being made anytime you want with just a click of a button.
jagouar's Avatar jagouar
01:08 PM Liked: 10
post #22 of 29
10-06-2010 | Posts: 5,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeman73 View Post

Now, if Hulu would get more networks added, such as FoodTV and HGTV, then I'd be even closer to cutting the cord. When Hulu starts offering all of the current shows I enjoy within a few days of them airing then I'll ditch satellite and pay my $10 a month for Hulu. This may take a while since it's all about money and contracts. Hopefully, we'll eventually get to the place where you can watch any show ever made or being made anytime you want with just a click of a button.

That is exactly what I am wondering.... because most of those networks are on hulu.com and not hulu+.... am hoping networks like abc family, diy, hgtv, food, fx, history, syfy, etc. will come to the service since they are on hulu.com but was wondering if any of the non national networks have made an appearance yet for those that use hulu+.
mfreeman73's Avatar mfreeman73
05:15 PM Liked: 10
post #23 of 29
10-06-2010 | Posts: 12
I just checked and Stargate Universe and Caprica are on Hulu, but I can't get them on Hulu+ on my Samsung. I'm hoping this eventually gets fixed and anything you can get on Hulu.com you can get on Hulu+. You would think that having the paid service would get you more of the new shows than the free service.
JPPhil's Avatar JPPhil
08:39 AM Liked: 10
post #24 of 29
10-22-2010 | Posts: 14
For my wife, it's all about convenience. She's retired; I'm still working until August, 2011. We pay what I consider to be an astronomical amount of $$ for DirecTV: $95/month. That's the Choice Plus with HD and DVR service, and 3 STB's, 2 of which are DVR's. And the DVR Home thing that let's my wife watch any recorded show on either DVR. For her, she presses one button on the Logitech remote and all the equipment comes on. Another button and she sees the list of recorded shows. Another one and she can watch stuff. And, she can change channels so she can watch HGTV, FoodTV, QVC, DIY, etc.

I have Netflix and Hulu Plus, and for me it's no problem to do a combination of OTA and online streaming, especially since one of my DirecTV DVR's has an OTA antenna AND my TiVo in the basement is an old Series 2 with a lifetime subscription, so I'd have 2 DVR's to do OTA stuff with. But my wife just simply can't deal. She needs the simplicity of DirecTV with channel guide and list of DVR'ed shows to pick from.

What I'm hoping for is that online streaming will settle down and by the time I retire in 9 months I'll be able to ditch DirecTV and go for some combination of OTA and online streaming, with a STB that will do Netflix, Hulu Plus, and whatever else comes along. I guess we'll see!
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi
08:42 AM Liked: 26
post #25 of 29
10-22-2010 | Posts: 17,178
Netflix also has a lot of anime now, some of it in HD (if only the had the original language track), all of it dubbed.

Notice how they fail to mention Netflix has complete sets of series like X-Files, The Hulk, Seaquest, Red Dwarf, etc, etc... There's plenty of stuff that Netflix streaming has that Hulu Plus doesn't.
vinodk's Avatar vinodk
08:08 AM Liked: 19
post #26 of 29
11-22-2010 | Posts: 2,246
How soon can you get the current episodes of shows on Hulu Plus to watch? Do you have to wait a few days or few weeks? i am thinking of cancelling cable & going with OTA/streaming box for Netflix & Hulu Plus.
mproper's Avatar mproper
08:29 AM Liked: 13
post #27 of 29
11-22-2010 | Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post
How soon can you get the current episodes of shows on Hulu Plus to watch? Do you have to wait a few days or few weeks? i am thinking of cancelling cable & going with OTA/streaming box for Netflix & Hulu Plus.
I imagine it's like regular Hulu where it's USUALLY the day after, but can vary on a series-by-series basis. For example, SNL says they post on Sundays (i.e. the day after), and Modern Family and Fringe says they post them the day after.

I've seen others that say "5 or 7 days after they air" but can't find any at the moment.
Aero 1's Avatar Aero 1
08:43 AM Liked: 68
post #28 of 29
11-22-2010 | Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post
dont bother with hulu+ if you are going OTA. invest in a DVR instead. I am OTA only and currently trying out a free month hulu+ and there is nothing special. hulu+ is an OTA replacement, minus CBS, CW, PBS, etc. shows are uploaded the day after airing.

an OTA dvr is your hulu+ with more content.

now, if hulu+ gets everything on standard hulu, ill gladly pay the monthly fee.
umenon's Avatar umenon
01:58 PM Liked: 11
post #29 of 29
11-22-2010 | Posts: 1,026
I use a TIVO ... since at my house we are Science and History junkies.

I would remove my cable subscription if Hulu Plus had shows/series from Science HD and National Geographic HD.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Subscribe to this Thread