post #31 of 48 Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post

That is a real bummer. I suppose replacing the router is not something you want to entertain?

At this point you might want to hold your powder as the Boxee Box will be out in a month or two. It's more than twice the price but has features that make it substantially more functional than the Roku. Depending on your intended purpose it might be a better fit.

Hi Ironlight

I have asked myself whether I should replace my router, and depending upon when you ask me, I'll give you a different answer! I got the Belkin not too long ago to replace a Netgear router that kept dropping the wi-fi signal. I had to walk up one or two flights of stairs practically every other day to reset the Netgear router, and it became old after a while. I have not had any problems at all with the Belkin ever since I got it, and all the other equipment in my house can link to the Belkin without any problems. So my inclination is not to change the Belkin. But from what I hear and read, it appears that the Roku units do not mix as well with Belkin routers as they do with routers from other manufacturers.

I was not aware of the Boxbee Box. I'll have to do some research into it. Thanks for the tip.

Cal68

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I got the new Roku-HD XR unit last week and tried unsuccessfully to get it to connect to my home network over the weekend.

In response to Vin's question, I had the Roku unit connected to the Powerline adapter exactly the way he suggested. But that did not work either.

At this point I am suspecting that there is something that is inhibiting the Roku unit from connecting to my Belkin router.
Cal68

Cal68, sorry you didn't have better luck. I'm a little confused about one thing though If the problem really is related to your router (and it certainly appears that it is) I can't understand why you couldn't get the Roku to see the internet when you tried COMPLETELY BYPASSING the router as I suggested:

1) Modem > Main Powerline adapter
2) Roku > Remote powerline adapter

This should give you a direct connection to the internet, the same way you'd connect a PC to the internet without going thru a router.

If you were able to do this, you may get lucky and the Roku will get a software update making it compatible with your Belkin router....I think that's feasible, no?

Vin
post #33 of 48 Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Cal68, sorry you didn't have better luck. I'm a little confused about one thing though If the problem really is related to your router (and it certainly appears that it is) I can't understand why you couldn't get the Roku to see the internet when you tried COMPLETELY BYPASSING the router as I suggested:

This should give you a direct connection to the internet, the same way you'd connect a PC to the internet without going thru a router.

If you were able to do this, you may get lucky and the Roku will get a software update making it compatible with your Belkin router....I think that's feasible, no?

Hi Vin

I am sorry that I misread your instructions. I have not done what you suggest. I will give it a shot either today or tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is. Thanks for the tip and also for following up with me to make sure that I understood your suggestion.

Cal68
post #34 of 48 Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to add some comments about these new ROKU streamers..

I have 2 1-2 year old Roku boxes to watch netflix streaming -- both work well until the new GUI and software updates -- now I have to reboot them both multiple time per week to navigate the UI

I like the new UI, but it is buggy as h#$@#

So Roku advertises new models -- so I buy 2 of the $99 XDS boxes to replace the 2 old ones..

Again -- I think Roku as actually made some crap hardware or software here

I can not even get the new models to connect to my network using "wired" direct connection

I can get past the setup screen -- it will not get past "connecting to your local network" no matter what I do

I have been on phone with Roku for hours and they even RMA two new XDS boxes - all same result -- no connection

put back old ones and things work even with the buggy software

I'm about to return these for refund as I have done what I can to get them to work

I have gigabit switched network and have tried two different switches and both a linksys router WRT54G2 and my Watchguard firewall (Xe25w) on trust and optional network - optional network opens all ports..

I can absolute see the device getting a IP address via DHCP in my logs, but get no network connections via the XDS
post #35 of 48 Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Well, just to let others see the other side of the coin, I have had three Roku units up and running since February of this year and zip problems with any of them, ever. So go figure.
P.S.-I am using a Linskys WRT54GL wireless G router everything hard wired.

post #36 of 48 Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 AM

my old ones work -- it's the new XDS that I can not even get connected to my network -- tried 3 sepearate boxes various ways as described - no luck
post #37 of 48 Old 10-11-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
sure sounds like it must be something with the newer units. I have two HD's and and XR.

post #38 of 48 Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post

my old ones work -- it's the new XDS that I can not even get connected to my network -- tried 3 sepearate boxes various ways as described - no luck

Is your firewall set to recognize mac addresses? If so that could be your problem. The new boxes have unique and different addresses.
post #39 of 48 Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Vin

I tried your suggestion on Friday, but the Roku unit did not connect to my home network. I hooked up the Powerline adapter directly to my Motorola modem, then hooked up the Roku unit directly to the Powerline adapter in my basement, but it still did not recognize my home network. So I guess there is something about my home network that the Roku unit does not like.

Thanks for your suggestion because it tells me that the problem is not with my Belkin router since it was completely out of the loop when I ran your test on Friday.

Cal68

Cal68
post #40 of 48 Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post

Just to add some comments about these new ROKU streamers..

I have 2 1-2 year old Roku boxes to watch netflix streaming -- both work well until the new GUI and software updates -- now I have to reboot them both multiple time per week to navigate the UI

I like the new UI, but it is buggy as h#$@#

So Roku advertises new models -- so I buy 2 of the $99 XDS boxes to replace the 2 old ones..

Again -- I think Roku as actually made some crap hardware or software here

I can not even get the new models to connect to my network using "wired" direct connection

I can get past the setup screen -- it will not get past "connecting to your local network" no matter what I do

I have been on phone with Roku for hours and they even RMA two new XDS boxes - all same result -- no connection

put back old ones and things work even with the buggy software

I'm about to return these for refund as I have done what I can to get them to work

I have gigabit switched network and have tried two different switches and both a linksys router WRT54G2 and my Watchguard firewall (Xe25w) on trust and optional network - optional network opens all ports..

I can absolute see the device getting a IP address via DHCP in my logs, but get no network connections via the XDS

Stevetoney, thanks for your post. I was going to order one of the "new improved" Roku units from Amazon, but based on your posting, I think that I am going to wait until I hear something positive about the new units. I have not checked the Roku forum in the past couple of days, but until the weekend, there did not appear to be any postings from anyone who had actually tried one of the new units.

Cal68

Cal68
post #41 of 48 Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Hi Vin

I tried your suggestion on Friday, but the Roku unit did not connect to my home network. I hooked up the Powerline adapter directly to my Motorola modem, then hooked up the Roku unit directly to the Powerline adapter in my basement, but it still did not recognize my home network. So I guess there is something about my home network that the Roku unit does not like.

Thanks for your suggestion because it tells me that the problem is not with my Belkin router since it was completely out of the loop when I ran your test on Friday.

Cal68

That's interesting, thanks for the update....I'm out of ideas. Please let us know of any furthur developments. Good luck.

Vin
post #42 of 48 Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's interesting, thanks for the update....I'm out of ideas. Please let us know of any furthur developments. Good luck.

I am stumped as well. I cannot understand why the Roku unit is not connecting to my home network when my Dell laptop and Panasonic BluRay player connect to the network at the same location without any problem.

A big thank you to everyone for all your help. I'll let you know how I decide to proceed. I have not yet decided if I should try one of the new Roku units to wait for the Boxee Box to become available.

Cal68

Cal68
post #43 of 48 Old 10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Network problems like this are usually debugged fairly easily using tools like tcpdump (which requires some sort of unix-like system like Linux or OS X). If you're stuck with just PCs at home, you might check into something like Wireshark which supports Windows. But there's a big learning curve if you're not familiar with TCP/IP. Plus, nowadays, people usually have Ethernet switches at home rather than hubs, so it might be difficult to even see the packets.

I agree with the general sentiment that this stuff should just work, and simply send it back if it doesn't! Consumers shouldn't need to be network engineers.
post #44 of 48 Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Network problems like this are usually debugged fairly easily using tools like tcpdump (which requires some sort of unix-like system like Linux or OS X). If you're stuck with just PCs at home, you might check into something like Wireshark which supports Windows. But there's a big learning curve if you're not familiar with TCP/IP. Plus, nowadays, people usually have Ethernet switches at home rather than hubs, so it might be difficult to even see the packets.

I agree with the general sentiment that this stuff should just work, and simply send it back if it doesn't! Consumers shouldn't need to be network engineers.

Considering my background is in the biological sciences, the network engineering skills needed are probably beyond my abilities! But if it turns out that I do need to do something with my home network (e.g., if I have similar problems with other equipment), then I could always hire a professional to diagnose the problem and fix it. The pro will likely be a 16 year old kid!

Cal68

Cal68
post #45 of 48 Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Well, just to let others see the other side of the coin, I have had three Roku units up and running since February of this year and zip problems with any of them, ever. So go figure.
P.S.-I am using a Linskys WRT54GL wireless G router everything hard wired.

I just purchased a new version Roku-HD, opened the box, put it on the wire to a WRT54GS, and in 5 mins was streaming netflix with out any issue. Took 5 mins because it needed to download an update an reboot
post #46 of 48 Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riah View Post

I just purchased a new version Roku-HD, opened the box, put it on the wire to a WRT54GS, and in 5 mins was streaming netflix with out any issue. Took 5 mins because it needed to download an update an reboot

I am so envious! But at the same time, I am very happy for you.

Cal68

Cal68
post #47 of 48 Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riah View Post

I forgot to ask you if the Roku player you have is one of the newly released ones or one of the older models. Thanks.

Cal68

Cal68
post #48 of 48 Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:

I forgot to ask you if the Roku player you have is one of the newly released ones or one of the older models. Thanks.

Cal68

New one, $59 version, direct from Roku $69.00 delivered
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page