Do American Blu-Ray Players with Netflix app work with Netflix Canada? - AVS Forum
Video Download Services & Hardware > Do American Blu-Ray Players with Netflix app work with Netflix Canada?
jmoe316's Avatar jmoe316 08:51 AM 10-01-2010
Hi,

I am thinking of picking up a the Panasonic BD-85 in the US and it has the Netflix app built-in.

I live in Canada so I am wondering if anyone has experience using a US Blu-ray player with Netflix to access Netflix Canada?

Will it work? Is it as simple as Netflix allowing Canadian IP's or would they Canadian Netflix apps be pointed to a different server and thus, US netflix apps won't work in Canada?

Thanks

moviegeek's Avatar moviegeek 12:10 PM 10-01-2010
The US players connect to US servers, unless you can setup a proxy server they won't work. Don't blame Netflix or the CE manufacturers because it's the studios doing it. So far Netflix is accessible on a Wii, PS3 or your PC in Canada.

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/09/netf...in-canada.html

There are reports the new Apple TV works in Canada so you might look into that instead.
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar Wendell R. Breland 03:52 PM 10-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Don't blame Netflix or the CE manufacturers because it's the studios doing it.

How so?

Have you seen the contracts that Netflix has signed with the studios? Wanna bet that if Netfix anted up the cash they could stream just as many titles in Canada as in the US. It is real simple, wanna play, you have to pay!
msgohan's Avatar msgohan 05:52 PM 10-01-2010
Well, my PS3 came from America and it's running the Netflix app just fine... does that count?
mainly's Avatar mainly 04:51 PM 10-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Well, my PS3 came from America and it's running the Netflix app just fine... does that count?

so how did you pay? didnt you have to use an american credit card?

and im assuming youre in canada..?
mainly's Avatar mainly 04:55 PM 10-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoe316 View Post

Hi,

I am thinking of picking up a the Panasonic BD-85 in the US and it has the Netflix app built-in.

I live in Canada so I am wondering if anyone has experience using a US Blu-ray player with Netflix to access Netflix Canada?

Will it work? Is it as simple as Netflix allowing Canadian IP's or would they Canadian Netflix apps be pointed to a different server and thus, US netflix apps won't work in Canada?

Thanks

if it does the ip shouldnt be a problem, i just bought one for cheap, and very speedy. i use it to watch Hulu. except hulu is free. so the ip is the only thing to get around, but netflix; just wondering if you have to pay for US netflix with a US credit card...?
msgohan's Avatar msgohan 05:51 PM 10-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post

so how did you pay? didnt you have to use an american credit card?

and im assuming youre in canada..?

I'm referring to running Netflix Canada on an American player (PS3) which was the OP's question.

There is no Netflix USA "app" on the PS3. You currently have to use a disc they send you in the mail, so yes you would need a US credit card and address.

Moreover, I know an American NF subscriber who opened a Canadian PSN account in order to use the app, and while it worked for the first day they blocked him after that. So there is some sort of IP or account filtering going on there.
moviegeek's Avatar moviegeek 10:37 AM 10-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post

if it does the ip shouldnt be a problem, i just bought one for cheap, and very speedy. i use it to watch Hulu. except hulu is free. so the ip is the only thing to get around, but netflix; just wondering if you have to pay for US netflix with a US credit card...?

Please explain how you are able to watch Hulu on your Panasonic BD85.
carlycollaer's Avatar carlycollaer 06:53 AM 01-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoe316 View Post

Hi,

Thanks

I have heard many people facing such a problem. However I am happy with the services of dvdlink.ca which I am currently using. It has a collection of about 22000 + titles.
tomefs's Avatar tomefs 11:04 AM 04-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlycollaer View Post

I have heard many people facing such a problem. However I am happy with the services of dvdlink.ca which I am currently using. It has a collection of about 22000 + titles.

Netflix has a US and Canada server
tomefs's Avatar tomefs 11:12 AM 04-23-2011
The Oppo 93 netflix app will not work in Canada
Up
Mobile  Desktop