Old 05-18-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So they expanded the available 1080P titles? I thought at one point there were only around 400 available in 1080P?

I tested 30 HD titles w/o 5.1 sound at random, and all of them had 1080p encodes. My conclusion is that the vast majority of HD titles have them (someone pointed out that only about half of the recent HD anime additions have "X-High/HD" encodes, so not all). I could be wrong--I'm not testing 2000+ HD titles to make sure .

My guess is that they created 1080p encodings for almost all of the HD library before rolling out the disc-free PS3 player. I'd first thought that titles with 1080p encodings would turn out to be a subset of titles with 5.1 sound, but it appears to be the other way around. So far 5.1 sound seems to be running about 20% of HD titles.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I tested 30 HD titles w/o 5.1 sound at random, and all of them had 1080p encodes. My conclusion is that the vast majority of HD titles have them (someone pointed out that only about half of the recent HD anime additions have "X-High/HD" encodes, so not all). I could be wrong--I'm not testing 2000+ HD titles to make sure .

My guess is that they created 1080p encodings for almost all of the HD library before rolling out the disc-free PS3 player. I'd first thought that titles with 1080p encodings would turn out to be a subset of titles with 5.1 sound, but it appears to be the other way around. So far 5.1 sound seems to be running about 20% of HD titles.

Thanks!

Darn it. Sony is always doing something to make me keep using the PS3.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Any way to change interface?

home theater addict
Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 277
It sucks that netflix removed the ability to view all content in their library. You can only view up 75 titles from each genre. And only what they think you should see. So stupid. I was told i have to brows the actual site then search for it using the search function. Wow. Isn't one of the points of netflix is being able to brows different movies, TV shows that you've never seen or heard of? Basically running into a movie you didn't know existed. Well having to go to the site and search for content defeats all that.

And now they don't even show some movies in their OAR. It's things like this why i wouldn't pay a subscription anymore. Only reason why im using it now is because they sent me an email to come back for another free trial.

home theater addict
Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 791
There were limits to what you could browse in the old PS3 player (250 titles per genre), but there were tons more genres and sub-genres (my older Panasonic BD player had the old PS3 interface until last month). I believed that they really wanted to standardize on a single player UI across platforms and this is the one that would fit in memory on all the platforms that they're currently on. Of the devices that I own, the PS3, TiVo Premiere, 2 Panasonic BD players and 1 Sony BD player all have this same UI. The Roku 2's player is somewhat different but has a similar look and feel (its search function won't match people names and its television episode browser doesn't allow you to select a season, displaying a monolithic line of possibly hundred of episodes instead) and the Xbox player is substantially different, but designed for gestural and voice control via Kinect. TiVo S3 has its original four-year-old TiVo UI look-and-feel player.

The search function in the embedded players will search the entire library, so at least there's that smile.gif.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ultra hd 5.1 on netflex is in the house, yeah baby!biggrin.gif just got an oppo 103 d and been playing around with it and just noticed it .