netflix roku, how to turn on caption - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry for such a newbie question. I just got my roku, activated my netflix account, and streaming seems to work really well.

Now, how do I turn on caption for the movies? I can't seem to figure this out on the roku UI. How do I turn on capturing on the Roku?

I have the Roku XD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I could be wrong, but I don't think captions are supported on Netflix streaming content.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There are some titles with captions available, but not all. Go to http://instantwatcher.com/genres/522...s=1&infinite=0 instantwatcher.com to view which movies offer captions/subtitles.

Edit-and since I don't own a Roku, I can't even say for certain that that option is offered on the Roku. They are with the online player.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 13 Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
They have subtitles on foreign films but only 273 titles with captions. I had to stop streaming because of that. I still come here hoping to hear that they will be added. I use a Roku.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There is no captioning available through the Roku. It is totally dependent on what is contained in the film you are streaming from Netflix. And as far as I have read or hear over at the Roku forums, there is no talk of adding the ability to display subtitles by activating something on the Roku. You can check in for yourself and ask:
http://forums.roku.com/index.php

post #6 of 13 Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies. I've been enjoying the roku this weekend, very nice. I guess I just have to get use to without seeing the subtitles...

Now a perhaps unrelated question. The Roku doesn't display any information about the stream. In fact I couldn't figure out initially whether I was watching an HD stream or a regular stream. Later I figured it out, the info page will have HD displayed if it's HD.

Are there any netflix devices that displays info during play? ie, like the bit rate, stream format (720p/1080p, 5.1, etc..)
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose View Post
Thank you for all the replies. I've been enjoying the roku this weekend, very nice. I guess I just have to get use to without seeing the subtitles...

Now a perhaps unrelated question. The Roku doesn't display any information about the stream. In fact I couldn't figure out initially whether I was watching an HD stream or a regular stream. Later I figured it out, the info page will have HD displayed if it's HD.

Are there any netflix devices that displays info during play? ie, like the bit rate, stream format (720p/1080p, 5.1, etc..)
The Roku won't show you actual figures but will display dots for level of quality, 1-4, and a small "HD" will appear after the fourth dot if the stream is in HD. If that is what you are asking.(you can hit the info button on your display and that should let you know some of the info). These will change depending on the time of day or signal quality (i.e. sometimes an HD stream will drop to 4 dots if there is too much activity or some other interruption). Not sure, though, if any netflix devices show this info. Hope that helps.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The old ps3 disc app displayed bit rate. The new discless app just shows quality levels like Medium/SD, High/HD, etc., and audio output.

Also, for titles that have captions, there is an option to turn them on in the ps3 interface.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

The Roku won't show you actual figures but will display dots for level of quality, 1-4, and a small "HD" will appear after the fourth dot if the stream is in HD. If that is what you are asking.(you can hit the info button on your display and that should let you know some of the info).

I don't have the 'info' button. Is that the * button? Hitting this during play, nothing happens..

I do see the dots and HD during the beginning of the movie. Would be nice if I can see this during the movie as well..
post #10 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have the 'info' button. Is that the * button? Hitting this during play, nothing happens..

I do see the dots and HD during the beginning of the movie. Would be nice if I can see this during the movie as well..

I was speaking about the remote for your TV or receiver/pre/pro. Most have an info or display button that shows you info on what's playing such as bit rate and resolution etc. The Roku doesn't have an info button and won't display any info while the movie is playing.

post #11 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Roku box does not have subtitle features. Apparently it is NETFLIX's responsbility to update the software provided to roku to allow Roku's players to access the Subtitling technology in their Roku devices. So far, Netflix has only released the software for Subtitles for PCs/Macs/Wii & PS3 so far.

BTW, Subtitle list has gone up to 380+ titles listed in my blog, here: ncmacasl[dot]blogspot[dot]com (I Incorporate the titles from InstantWatcher and other sources)
post #12 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Well, I have the opposite problem. Everything I've played on the Roku has captions/subtitles, and I'd like to know how to turn them off.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokunewuser View Post

Well, I have the opposite problem. Everything I've played on the Roku has captions/subtitles, and I'd like to know how to turn them off.

Pick a title that you have seen captions displayed, under that title's summary page, scroll down to audio/subtitles, click and check the options listed there and under subtitles, select None if it's there. All titles you play afterwards, ''should'' no longer display them.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page