Blu-ray player with search/browse Netflix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of a blu-ray player that will browse and search Neflix similar to AppleTV or Roku? I would like to kill 2 birds with one stone for my parents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 65
ps3

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I own the Insignia WBRDVD and WBRDVD2 players. Their software allows browsing of movies under several categories, such as: Comedies, New Releases, Horror, and similar genre names along with more specific categories after the program figures out what you like from your ratings. So I will see movie selections with headings such as Gritty Crime Thrillers or Foreign Suspense, etc. After a while you will even see a category personalized to your name: Top Picks for (Joe, Bob, Whoever). They do not allow searching of the entire Netflix streaming catalog, however, though with so many to browse I have not missed that feature. I thought the ability to select other movies was the de facto standard until reading many posts akin to yours; apparently most blu-ray players only allow access to the preset instant queue?

I don't have experience with LG branded blu-ray players, but I know that the Insignia players are built by LG, so perhaps they have the same software? If you are one of the people who would find it tough to swallow owning an Insignia or an LG, I don't know what to tell you as I don't have any knowledge about higher-end blu-ray equipment, except to say that reviews of the new Sony players indicate that they do not allow access to anything other than the instant queue.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

I don't have experience with LG branded blu-ray players, but I know that the Insignia players are built by LG, so perhaps they have the same software?

Doesn't Funai make Vizio and Insignia blu-ray players? Features/looks wise the last few generations have been almost identical. Vizio throws in VUDU and Insignia throws in CinemaNow (their streaming service).
post #5 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Doesn't Funai make Vizio and Insignia blu-ray players?

Funai make Insignia but Vizio makes Vizio!!

In fact, Funai sued Vizio for one thing or another!!!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #6 of 14 Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

I don't think Vizio actually makes anything, not in the sense that a Sony or an LG does. I believe Vizio contracts with far east manufacturing/assembly companies and re-badges the product those companies produce. I think AmTRAN Technology of Taiwan is contracted to produce many of the Vizio branded TVs, not sure about their other products.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I don't think Vizio actually makes anything, not in the sense that a Sony or an LG does.

Sony doesn't make things in the sense that a Sony does!!

Their "Walkman" product from the 70s was made by Foster Electric of Japan and labelled for Sony. Etc., etc.

Nobody makes their own entire product anymore - they design/spec the product and put it out to OEM's for quotes.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Maybe Sony was a bad choice, but companies like LG do produce the actual panels used in their displays and probably manufacture a large portion of the finished products, Vizio is a re-badger who creates/produces nothing.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The new Netflix interface allows for searching and browsing on a player. You no longer need to go to your computer to put a title in your queue. It's on my Samsung C5500 which I won't recommend because Samsung still hasn't fixed the aspect ratio problem which bit other manufacturers too but already fixed.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got an LG player and it allows browsing of genres, no problem. Just look for a player with the Netflix badge on the box.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #11 of 14 Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

I don't have the definitive answer to this, but the bulk of the evidence suggests that the Insignia players I own are made by LG. So if Funai makes LG players, then so be it.

Not that it matters much to me, I have Magnavox (Funai) DVD recorders that I am very happy with, despite the poor brand image.

As one example of evidence, when I went to activate my first Insignia player last year, I was kicked over into the instructions for the LG player, with no Insignia in sight. Now the Neflix site has a separate Insignia section, so who knows for sure?
post #12 of 14 Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 PM

Does anyone happen to know how to search on Netflix for individual movies on an LG BD590 player?

It's one of my favorites but I really hate having to go to the laptop to add a specific movie. The latest instance of this is "Slapshot". There is no "sports category" and unless I wanted to troll through thousands of movies, it's a big PITA. (Yes, I've installed all the updates too.)

Other than that, it's a great player! My Sony lets me search Netflix!

I've never understood the lack of similar features for software from one manufacturer to the next. It seems to me that commonality of this sort of thing would be great for us consumers. That and the fact that not all streaming services are available or able to be added to other players. Blockbuster is unavailable on both my Sony and my LG's.

Thanks in advance for any info!
post #13 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got a panasonic DMP-BDT-210 which allows you to access Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, and Vudu (the latter is new to me - all the others already were available on my Roku). I realize this was an old question, but figured I'd add Panny to the suggestions since the thread is still active. I'm pleased with the performance - older discs and cds also play nicely.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagh View Post

Does anyone happen to know how to search on Netflix for individual movies on an LG BD590 player?

It's one of my favorites but I really hate having to go to the laptop to add a specific movie. The latest instance of this is "Slapshot". There is no "sports category" and unless I wanted to troll through thousands of movies, it's a big PITA. (Yes, I've installed all the updates too.)

Other than that, it's a great player! My Sony lets me search Netflix!

I've never understood the lack of similar features for software from one manufacturer to the next. It seems to me that commonality of this sort of thing would be great for us consumers. That and the fact that not all streaming services are available or able to be added to other players. Blockbuster is unavailable on both my Sony and my LG's.

Thanks in advance for any info!

I take it that the Netflix UI doesn't look like this...
https://picasaweb.google.com/1120115...t=embedwebsite
If it does, there are screencaps there that show you how to search, by just scrolling down to the Search tab on the home screen and arrowing over to open the search screen.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page