Official List of Netflix Watch Instantly Titles w/5.1 Sound - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 554 Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith View Post

- - - Why Netflix doesn't simply show designation for '1080p', instead of just 'HD' is a mystery.

Because 1080p in Netflix is only a year old and can only be displayed by a few devices out of hundreds. PS3, Roku 2 and the WD TV Live are the only ones I know for sure support 1080p (more are coming, probably soon); all the rest can only do 720p. Like I said, I've only encountered one HD title which didn't have a 1080p encoding; though there are probably others, my belief is that nearly all of the 3139+ current HD Watch Instantly titles have 1080p encodings, so there's little if any need to mark them special. (Would you really decline to watch a title which had a 720p encoding just because it didn't have a 1080p one)?

I can't find where that "Netflix Instant Browser" app has a filter for 1080p. How do you get to it?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 554 Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

- - - Why Netflix doesn't simply show designation for '1080p', instead of just 'HD' is a mystery. It would certainly simplify and speed up such a choice. And why do just 26 titles appear now when you do specify '1080p'? For example, some VOD services allow a choice of 'SD', 'HD"(for 720p) and '1080'. What's the problem for Netflix not doing this? Can be be that complicated?

Most people are confused enough as it is about HD. That would just make things worse.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #513 of 554 Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Because 1080p in Netflix is only a year old and can only be displayed by a few devices out of hundreds. PS3, Roku 2 and the WD TV Live are the only ones I know for sure support 1080p (more are coming, probably soon); all the rest can only do 720p. Like I said, I've only encountered one HD title which didn't have a 1080p encoding; though there are probably others, my belief is that nearly all of the 3139+ current HD Watch Instantly titles have 1080p encodings, so there's little if any need to mark them special. (Would you really decline to watch a title which had a 720p encoding just because it didn't have a 1080p one)?

I can't find where that "Netflix Instant Browser" app has a filter for 1080p. How do you get to it?

I'm referring to the 'Instant Watch Browser For Netflix', available from Roku. If you select 'Search', and then specify '1080p' only 26 movie titles will appear.
post #514 of 554 Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm referring to the 'Instant Watch Browser For Netflix', available from Roku. If you select 'Search', and then specify '1080p' only 26 movie titles will appear.

Yes, that's the channel I'm talking about. You're saying that you entered the string "1080p" into the search term field? That's not going give you anything useful--it's just a search of the title and description for the string "1080p". 20 of the 26 resulting titles don't have any HD encodings at all; I suspect that there were no exact matches and it's just displaying titles with something similar in their descriptions. If you go into "Genres" you can get a list of titles in HD (almost all of which will have 1080p encodings), or which have available 5.1 sound or which have closed captions/soft subtitles.

There's a tool created by forum member RangerOne which can search for titles with 5.1 sound or closed-captions/subtitles or HD encodings or any combination thereof: read about it in this post.

post #515 of 554 Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM

good list
post #516 of 554 Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any chance the revamped google tv will have 5.1? I have the Honeycomb beta and it is not.
post #517 of 554 Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Ant chance the revamped google tv will have 5.1? I have the Honeycomb beta and it is not.

I'm waiting on that before I buy one revue myself.

post #518 of 554 Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why is the online player or Windows Media Center not able to do 1080p or 5.1. I would think they would be the first. I am watching Lost on a LG tv at a friends house and it's quality is much better than WMC. Lame
post #519 of 554 Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post

Why is the online player or Windows Media Center not able to do 1080p or 5.1. I would think they would be the first. I am watching Lost on a LG tv at a friends house and it's quality is much better than WMC. Lame

The IP holders have traditionally been afraid to put forth the highest quality stuff on Windows or any other open environment, for fear that it will be easily copied by some clever program. They seem to be loosening up a bit about this, but it's a slow process.

The other problem with Netflix is that the player for it on Windows is a web app--I think that the one embedded in WMC just taps into the same portal that the one which runs in web browsers do. They can both do 720p, but I'm not aware of any web app which can output 5.1 sound. I'm sure that 1080p is being held back on purpose, though it might come eventually.

If you buy television episodes on Amazon and download them, they'll generally be in 720p with 5.1 sound; the same is true of Microsoft's Zune and probably iTunes. I'm not sure if you can buy HD/5.1 movies to download.

post #520 of 554 Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
(quoting an older post for information purposes)
Quote:

I agree--the PS3 does a good job of decoding DD+ from VUDU, but it is decoding it internally. In the case of DD+ from Netflix I have no idea what it's doing. Before this last update it seemed to produce stereo, wrapped up as 8 channel LPCM. Now it produces a lame version of surround, apparently transcoding to DD. I'd prefer the LPCM, if it could do as good a job of decoding as it does for the VUDU player (or for its BD playing function).

If you go to the audio output settings and manually deselect Dolby Digital 5.1, you'll get LPCM 5.1 from Netflix (and 2.0 for stereo, as usual). Any opinions on the quality?
post #521 of 554 Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:

That'd be wonderful, but I doubt that it can be done. They couldn't list HD titles before Netflix added that to the public API, and if they were exposing that ability in their API I should think that they'd put that filter in their own website.

The optional Instant Browser For Netflix($2.99 one-time charge from Roku for their box such as the Roku2,XS) offers several filters, including an "HD" option and a "5.1" option. Problem with the former is that it does not distinguish between 720p and 1080p HD encodings. I've just talked with Netflix and they tell me they get the films from the studios encoded the way the studios want, and Netflix has no say in the matter(i.e., Netflix does not do anything with them themselves). If you're watching on a big screen(such as a 65-inch plasma), the difference between the two encodings(and assuming a steady 5MB broadband connection) can be dramatic. 'Amadeus" I've watched at their 1080p, and 'The Great Train Robbery at what must be 720p are hugely different; the former is terrific, the latter lousy on that big a screen. I've asked Netflix to just put the difference next to their HD titles(as does Dish VOD), since the encloding is already identified on the source from the studio, if that's what they're saying. On the plus side, the 5.1 audio on Roku2 XS is almost universally excellent regardless of image quality. Perhaps if enough AVS forum members request this additional image info from Netflix, it will happen(?) As to 5.1 Roku2 connection, it can be optical or analog, both work just fine.
post #522 of 554 Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

The optional Instant Browser For Netflix($2.99 one-time charge from Roku for their box such as the Roku2,XS) offers several filters, including an "HD" option and a "5.1" option. Problem with the former is that it does not distinguish between 720p and 1080p HD encodings. I've just talked with Netflix and they tell me they get the films from the studios encoded the way the studios want, and Netflix has no say in the matter(i.e., Netflix does not do anything with them themselves). If you're watching on a big screen(such as a 65-inch plasma), the difference between the two encodings(and assuming a steady 5MB broadband connection) can be dramatic. 'Amadeus" I've watched at their 1080p, and 'The Great Train Robbery at what must be 720p are hugely different; the former is terrific, the latter lousy on that big a screen. I've asked Netflix to just put the difference next to their HD titles(as does Dish VOD), since the encloding is already identified on the source from the studio, if that's what they're saying. On the plus side, the 5.1 audio on Roku2 XS is almost universally excellent regardless of image quality. Perhaps if enough AVS forum members request this additional image info from Netflix, it will happen(?) As to 5.1 Roku2 connection, it can be optical or analog, both work just fine.

Netflix 5.1 uses DD+. The Roku2 only passes through the DD+ audio. To bitstream DD+ you need HDMI 1.3 or higher. You can't use an optical connection or analog on the Roku2 since it can't decode it. If you are getting audio from the optical or analog connection on the ROKU2 with Netflix then you are getting it from the stereo track. On the Roku2 if you want 5.1 from Netflix then you have to go into the audio options for each title on Netflix before you play it to get the 5.1 DD+. It will always default to the stereo audio from Netflix.

And of course for DD+ you need a receiver with HDMI1.3 or higher and one that is also capable of decoding DD+.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #523 of 554 Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've just talked with Netflix and they tell me they get the films from the studios encoded the way the studios want, and Netflix has no say in the matter(i.e., Netflix does not do anything with them themselves

If you're watching on a big screen(such as a 65-inch plasma), the difference between the two encodings(and assuming a steady 5MB broadband connection) can be dramatic. 'Amadeus" I've watched at their 1080p, and 'The Great Train Robbery at what must be 720p are hugely different; the former is terrific, the latter lousy on that big a screen. I've asked Netflix to just put the difference next to their HD titles(as does Dish VOD), since the encloding is already identified on the source from the studio, if that's what they're saying. On the plus side, the 5.1 audio on Roku2 XS is almost universally excellent regardless of image quality. Perhaps if enough AVS forum members request this additional image info from Netflix, it will happen(?) As to 5.1 Roku2 connection, it can be optical or analog, both work just fine.

That post of mine that you quoted was for 10 December last year--11 months ago. In general it's not worth quoting year old posts about technology.

Who did you talk to at Netflix who told you that they get the titles pre-encoded from their content providers? I'm fairly certain that that's not true. Netflix has to create a set of 4 or 5 SD encodings at various bit rates, and, for the titles which have HD encodings, 2 at 720p and 1 at 1080p. It's my understanding that Netflix gets various types of source material from their content providers, but AFAICT without testing all 4000 of them, the vast majority of HD titles have 1080p encodings. Is all of the the source material worth encoding as 1080p? Who knows. It's definitely true that some of those 1080p encodings are better than others. From the last detailed thing that Netflix had to say about their encoding efforts, the 3 y/o "Encoding for streaming" blog entry:
Quote:

Sources
Our best sources are electronically delivered mezzanine files, or high quality D5 tapes, and the highest bitrate encodes of these sources really look as good or better than DVDs. Digibeta tape sources can also generate good encodes, but some sources just are not as good, regardless of the bitrate used for encoding. We also encode from DV tape and even on occasion from DVDs. We get HD sources for many titles, even if we only have the rights to stream SD. The HD sources permit a better SD encode than working from SD soures.

I went through a few dozen HD titles at random once and all of them had 1080p encodings (i.e., they got up to an "X-High/HD"). I myself have not yet randomly come upon a title which didn't have a 1080p encoding, though someone pointed out some anime titles that didn't have 1080p encodes (some other related anime titles from the same company did have 1080p encodes).

What HD titles have you watched that you don't believe have 1080p encodings? Again, some are better than others as is true of Blu-ray. There are some really horrible encodings on BD, some for fairly famous films, like The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest; both are very unimpressive, though there's some suspicion that they may have been shot on 16mm (the first film of that cycle, Dragon Tatoo, is pretty sharp). In generally, you need better than 5 Mbps to get 1080p from Netflix if there's any action involved. Netflix has stated that you need 8 Mbps, but that's a bad overestimation. The players which can play the 1080p encodings will dynamically switch to lesser and greater quality (lower and higher bit rate) encodings as available bandwidth on the connection to Netflix's servers fluctuates. Unless you always have more bandwidth than is necessary on the connection, you can be watching 1080p one minute and drop down to 720p or even SD the next.

post #524 of 554 Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I posted a few here, though two of them aren't actually movies. I think Panic Room was another new addition that I couldn't get X-High on.

Quote:

As to 5.1 Roku2 connection, it can be optical or analog, both work just fine.

None of the Roku 2 models have optical out, and the analog out is only stereo.
post #525 of 554 Old 11-09-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

I posted a few here, though two of them aren't actually movies. I think Panic Room was another new addition that I couldn't get X-High on.

You're right--Scary Movie doesn't have a 1080p encoding. (Panic Room does; I didn't check the test clips).

Still, I don't anticipate that they will expose metadata in their API to identify which streams don't have 1080p encodings. Of the current players which can play 1080p encodings, I think that only the PS3 gives you a way to find out if you're getting one (I expect that they're upgrading the Xbox player and it probably will).

post #526 of 554 Old 11-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

That post of mine that you quoted was for 10 December last year--11 months ago. In general it's not worth quoting year old posts about technology.

Who did you talk to at Netflix who told you that they get the titles pre-encoded from their content providers? I'm fairly certain that that's not true. Netflix has to create a set of 4 or 5 SD encodings at various bit rates, and, for the titles which have HD encodings, 2 at 720p and 1 at 1080p. It's my understanding that Netflix gets various types of source material from their content providers, but AFAICT without testing all 4000 of them, the vast majority of HD titles have 1080p encodings. Is all of the the source material worth encoding as 1080p? Who knows. It's definitely true that some of those 1080p encodings are better than others. From the last detailed thing that Netflix had to say about their encoding efforts, the 3 y/o "Encoding for streaming" blog entry:

I went through a few dozen HD titles at random once and all of them had 1080p encodings (i.e., they got up to an "X-High/HD"). I myself have not yet randomly come upon a title which didn't have a 1080p encoding, though someone pointed out some anime titles that didn't have 1080p encodes (some other related anime titles from the same company did have 1080p encodes).

What HD titles have you watched that you don't believe have 1080p encodings? Again, some are better than others as is true of Blu-ray. There are some really horrible encodings on BD, some for fairly famous films, like The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest; both are very unimpressive, though there's some suspicion that they may have been shot on 16mm (the first film of that cycle, Dragon Tatoo, is pretty sharp). In generally, you need better than 5 Mbps to get 1080p from Netflix if there's any action involved. Netflix has stated that you need 8 Mbps, but that's a bad overestimation. The players which can play the 1080p encodings will dynamically switch to lesser and greater quality (lower and higher bit rate) encodings as available bandwidth on the connection to Netflix's servers fluctuates. Unless you always have more bandwidth than is necessary on the connection, you can be watching 1080p one minute and drop down to 720p or even SD the next.

It was one of Netflix' phone customer service reps within the last 48 hours, who advised about the 720p/1080p encodings coming from the studios with no input from Netflix(that's what he said). As to the audio, I use a Sherwood RD7502 HDMI amp with HDMI 1.3, and I make the audio selection from the screen before playing. The sound on most all of those marked 5.1 is very good - in some cases better than a BluRay, an anomoly if there ever was one, but the 1080p Netflix version of Amadeus I saw also produces a superior image than the BluRay version I rented - so go figure; makes no logical sense, but there it is.
post #527 of 554 Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was one of Netflix' phone customer service reps within the last 48 hours, who advised about the 720p/1080p encodings coming from the studios with no input from Netflix(that's what he said).

I don't think that any phone CSR is likely to know anything about the streaming encodings. I'm also fairly certain that the content providers aren't encoding their stuff into the extremely specific and complex format which Netflix needs for streaming and delivering that to Netflix (4-or-5 standard def and 2 or 3 high def encodings at different bit rates, arranged to allow quick realtime switching between them for adaptive bit rate streaming and some older format "legacy" standard and high def encodings for older platforms which haven't started using the new format yet--read that old "Encoding for streaming" blog entry if you haven't yet). What the content providers do control is the quality of the source that they give Netflix to encode and their permission to encode in HD and/or with available 5.1 sound. The source that they give to Netflix might not be worthy of HD encoding (an encoding from a standard-def DVD, for instance) and may or may not have a 5.1 soundtrack, whether they give their permission to encode HD and/or 5.1 or not.

post #528 of 554 Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Well it seems since the XBOX got the new update tonight it is now able to do 5.1 sound. Not sure about 1080P, it does look better to me but how can you test to see if it is doing 1080P now?
post #529 of 554 Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Judging by the "Let the Right One In" quick-test (see this), it's not doing 1080p.

I'll do some bandwidth consumption measurements with my router in the morning.

post #530 of 554 Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Make sure you are getting HD quality by pressing the green button while watching a movie and look att he quality meter at the top of the screen, the HD symbol should be lit. They are getting hit hard on XBOX Live right now and having all kinds of problems so it takes longer to get HD quality it seems.
post #531 of 554 Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Just checked myself and you are right it doesn't show what that thread does while in HD. Ah well, it does seem to look bttter to me though.
post #532 of 554 Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Logitech Revue now does 5.1 sound in Netflix with the 3.1 update.
It also seems to be doing 1080P after the update according to the "Let The Right One In" quick test http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21097278
post #533 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi. I have noticed that several titles were streamed in 5.1 but no longer are 5.1. They still seem to be in "HD," but the audio is stereo. "Burn Notice, "White Collar," and "The Walking Dead" are but a few. I called Netflix and really didn't get a straight answer. I can still get 5.1 from some titles (Medium, for example) so I doubt that it's my internet connection.

Has anyone else encounter this or know what's happening?? Thanks

"Platitudes are used to fill vacuums in thought."
post #534 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgmontgomery View Post

Hi. I have noticed that several titles were streamed in 5.1 but no longer are 5.1. They still seem to be in "HD," but the audio is stereo. "Burn Notice, "White Collar," and "The Walking Dead" are but a few. I called Netflix and really didn't get a straight answer. I can still get 5.1 from some titles (Medium, for example) so I doubt that it's my internet connection.

Has anyone else encounter this or know what's happening?? Thanks

It's been discussed .. problems with the NF database ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #535 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's been discussed .. problems with the NF database ..

From what I've seen tonight, the problem appears to be fixed on the Roku, PS3 and Apple TV. As of Sunday night it was messed up. Is it fixed for other folks?
post #536 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post

From what I've seen tonight, the problem appears to be fixed on the Roku, PS3 and Apple TV. As of Sunday night it was messed up. Is it fixed for other folks?

Haven't used my Apple TV 2 in a little while...is Netflix still buffering constantly on that device?
post #537 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Still the same with my Panny Blu Ray. Buffering isn't a problem, though.

Can anyone direct me to where I can find more info on the "problems with the NF database?" I did a search but found nothing. Thanks!!

post #538 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Still the same with my Panny Blu Ray. Buffering isn't a problem, though.

I looked at the descriptions for Trollhunter, Monsters and a couple of other things which were screwed up yesterday in a few embedded interfaces. On the PS3 all of them showed up properly as HD w/5.1 sound. On my Panasonic BD player (BDT110) they all show up as HD in their descriptions without the 5.1 icon, but they all had "Audio & Subtitle" menus with 5.1 sound options selected by default. Only Trollhunter was screwed up on the Roku 2, but at least it was marked as HD (with an A&S menu without a 5.1 sound option).

None of The Walking Dead, White Collar and Burn Notice show up as having 5.1 sound on the BDT110. None of those show up as having 5.1 sound on the PS3 either, and it doesn't appear an option on their A&S menus; though The Walking Dead doesn't show up as having 5.1 sound, being in HD or having captions on the PS3 but when you play an episode you get HD w/5.1 sound . None of the 3 show as having 5.1 sound or captions on the Roku 2.

The Netflix site shows 2254 HD titles, half of what're actually there. Still, it's more than twice what I saw yesterday.

So, not all problems have been cleared up.
Quote:

Can anyone direct me to where I can find more info on the "problems with the NF database?" I did a search but found nothing. Thanks!!

Though the problem has been discussed in a few AVS Forum threads, I'm not aware of any official Netflix statement about it, other than "we know about it and we're working on it".

post #539 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM

The 3 titles that I mentioned are all titles that were in 5.1; they had 5.1 options that disappeared and are now just in stereo. I called Netflix today and got some junk about it being my internet connection. I told them that some titles are still HD and 5.1, and that Vudu allows me to playback in HDX; Vudu's speed test maxed-out when I tried it. Basically, I don't think that I got a straight answer from Netflix, and I don't think the problem is on my side as I can still play many of Netflix's titles in HD & 5.1.

Thanks to all!!

post #540 of 554 Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

The 3 titles that I mentioned are all titles that were in 5.1; they had 5.1 options that disappeared and are now just in stereo. I called Netflix today and got some junk about it being my internet connection. I told them that some titles are still HD and 5.1, and that Vudu allows me to playback in HDX; Vudu's speed test maxed-out when I tried it. Basically, I don't think that I got a straight answer from Netflix, and I don't think the problem is on my side as I can still play many of Netflix's titles in HD & 5.1.

Thanks to all!!

Breaking Bad is showing up with 5.1 on the Roku and PS3 now but not the Walking Dead.. It appears a lot of the titles are fixed and it will probably all be cleared up in a day or two. I haven't heard anything official from Netflix on what caused the problem.

Also, I haven't had any buffering problems with Apple TV 2 in Netflix.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page