Official List of Netflix Watch Instantly Titles w/5.1 Sound - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 554 Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some of the episodes of "Burn Notice" are back in 5.1. All of them now have 5.1 listed as an option (they didn't yesterday) but some are still only stereo. I guess that Netflix is working on it, but I wish that they would give an honest answer to an honest question.

It's easy to blame it on my internet connection, and I'll bet that most people accept it. I didn't buy a new Blu Ray player to have 2.0 though, and if it was my internet connection why would other titles from the same source (Netflix) be fine?

Oh well, as long as it gets fixed. Thanks to all...

"Platitudes are used to fill vacuums in thought."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 554 Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Inasmuch as there are only a handful of devices which can play 5.1 sound (and some of them are probably being used without AVRs), I doubt that Netflix has gotten an overwhelming number of complaints about titles which have lost it. Most of the complaints I've seen to the Netflixhelps Twitter account were about closed caption options disappearing.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #543 of 554 Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 AM

Liked: 14
So when ARE more devices going to support 5.1 sound on Netflix? I mostly watch older movies anyways, but sure would be nice to have 5.1, especially if they want to keep raising the prices!
post #544 of 554 Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

So when ARE more devices going to support 5.1 sound on Netflix? I mostly watch older movies anyways, but sure would be nice to have 5.1, especially if they want to keep raising the prices!

I kind of doubt that any 2011 and earlier devices are going to get upgrades for 5.1 sound if they haven't already (Roku has flatly stated that models before the Roku 2 will not be getting it). I'd expect all 2012 devices with Netflix players to support for 5.1 audio, 1080p video and closed captions/subtitles.

post #545 of 554 Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I kind of doubt that any 2011 and earlier devices are going to get upgrades for 5.1 sound if they haven't already (Roku has flatly stated that models before the Roku 2 will not be getting it). I'd expect all 2012 devices with Netflix players to support for 5.1 audio, 1080p video and closed captions/subtitles.

Netflix made the SDK available to most or if not all CE manufacturers last summer (2011). I've talked to a lot of CE companies about when they are implementing and some of them have not been aware that Netflix made 5.1 and 1080P available in their SDK. So, the question is did they figure it out in time for the 2012 line up? Most folks I spoke to at CES responded with a "should support it" but didn't KNOW on the spot.
post #546 of 554 Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

None of The Walking Dead, White Collar and Burn Notice show up as having 5.1 sound on the BDT110. None of those show up as having 5.1 sound on the PS3 either, and it doesn't appear an option on their A&S menus; though The Walking Dead doesn't show up as having 5.1 sound, being in HD or having captions on the PS3 but when you play an episode you get HD w/5.1 sound . None of the 3 show as having 5.1 sound or captions on the Roku 2.

Now these all show up as being in HD w/5.1 sound on the PS3; all show HD on the BDT110, with 5.1 sound shown and defaulted on an Audio & Subtitles menu; all but The Walking Dead show HD in their "scroll over" descriptions, though not their full descriptions and none show 5.1 sound at all. (Since you're using a BDTx10, wgmontgomery, those series should be functionally fixed for you).
Quote:

The Netflix site shows 2254 HD titles, half of what're actually there. Still, it's more than twice what I saw yesterday.

There are 2605 titles in the HD "genre" on the Netflix site now, up by 351 since yesterday. The situation is being corrected slowly but surely .

post #547 of 554 Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There are 2605 titles in the HD "genre" on the Netflix site now, up by 351 since yesterday. The situation is being corrected slowly but surely .

There are 3617 titles in the HD genre today, close to what I expect from recent history. Nothing seems to have changed in the way that various players present titles; some remain "broken" as far as some players are concerned. (Some are still fully functional, like the BDT110, which never seems to display the "5.1" icon in descriptions anymore, though 5.1 sound seems to be available for titles which should have it.

post #548 of 554 Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

There are 3617 titles in the HD genre today, close to what I expect from recent history. Nothing seems to have changed in the way that various players present titles; some remain "broken" as far as some players are concerned. (Some are still fully functional, like the BDT110, which never seems to display the "5.1" icon in descriptions anymore, though 5.1 sound seems to be available for titles which should have it.

Sorry if someone has already answered this but how can I search for 1080p hd? I have been able to see a lot of titles that say hd but when I load them up they seem more like 720p. A while ago I saw Amadeus and that was 1080 so I know I have enough band with. Any one??
post #549 of 554 Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Sorry if someone has already answered this but how can I search for 1080p hd? I have been able to see a lot of titles that say hd but when I load them up they seem more like 720p. A while ago I saw Amadeus and that was 1080 so I know I have enough band with. Any one??

What are you streaming Netflix with and which titles were you trying to watch which seemed to be 720p? Even though you saw 1080p once there may not always be sufficient bandwidth on your connection to Netflix's server, distinct from the rated speed of your network service, to maintain 1080p (or the servers may be temporarily overloaded and unable to keep up the pace).

As far as I've been able to tell, there are only a few HD titles which don't have 1080p encodings. I tested about 30 at random once and they all had them, though a few 720p only titles have been pointed out to me by others. There's no way to tell which these are.

post #550 of 554 Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Turning on the PS3 tonight, and after activating Netflix, I noticed that none of the HD titles featured the HD or 5.1 icons next to titles that are indeed HD. Also, the audio/subtitle options were missing from the pop out column. This has happened briefly before, but just thought I'd post it here to see if this has occurred to anyone else.

There was also a banner ad promoting Lillyhammer, taking up 2 lines of screenspace when first activating the app....I was wondering if their putting that up threw their settings out of whack.

And in other news-when 1st activating, the Netflix app comes up to the main screen-it no longer offers up the choice of selecting regular or Just for Kids UI. This happened last week, but I didn't see any comments here or on other boards about it.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #551 of 554 Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Turning on the PS3 tonight, and after activating Netflix, I noticed that none of the HD titles featured the HD or 5.1 icons next to titles that are indeed HD. Also, the audio/subtitle options were missing from the pop out column. This has happened briefly before, but just thought I'd post it here to see if this has occurred to anyone else.

The same problem exists on my Sony BDP-S390 BD player and my Roku 2 XS, though on the Roku 2 movies with 5.1 sound and CCs still have a menu with which to turn those features on which works, but not television series. No such menus available on the S390 and PS3 for any titles AFAICT.

The HD thing isn't that bad since it will ramp up into available HD encodings even if they're not advertised in a title's description, but if it doesn't know about available 5.1 sound or captions it won't offer you a menu in which to turn them on or turn them on by default.
Quote:
And in other news-when 1st activating, the Netflix app comes up to the main screen-it no longer offers up the choice of selecting regular or Just for Kids UI. This happened last week, but I didn't see any comments here or on other boards about it.

It still does for me, but I only run the PS3 Netflix app now and then to check stuff like this--I have better devices to play Netflix with. Perhaps if you run it many times and alway choose regular it just starts assuming that's what you want.

post #552 of 554 Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 14
Just got a Sharp LC60C7450U TV and it supports 5.1 sound! Need to find a movie on it now that takes advantage of it- checked out part of "Agent Cody Banks" and the channels seem flipped- dialogue was coming from front left and rear left speakers, other movies sounded like they had it right though.
post #553 of 554 Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just got a Sharp LC60C7450U TV and it supports 5.1 sound! Need to find a movie on it now that takes advantage of it- checked out part of "Agent Cody Banks" and the channels seem flipped- dialogue was coming from front left and rear left speakers, other movies sounded like they had it right though.

Black Hawk Down is pretty intense, sound imaging-wise. I usually use the apré-plane-crash-on-the-beach scene at the beginning of the Lost pilot as a test.

post #554 of 554 Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

I think nearly every review I have read of the Mission Impossible 4 BluRay praised the sound quality, and I agree. It was by far the best part of the movie for me...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware