Official List of Netflix Watch Instantly Titles w/5.1 Sound - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 554 Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I was honestly hoping, Michael, that the thread would stay clean to it's intent .. not your fault ..

Why digress into PQ and what not .. ??

Yeah, I know, but he asked. I won't let it turn into a rathole. I probably should have put "(PS3 Only)" in the thread title--I'll ask a mod to make that change.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 554 Old 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I probably should have put "(PS3 Only)" in the thread title--I'll ask a mod to make that change.

Done already about a minute after I asked. Now that's service !

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #63 of 554 Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 634
deleted per OP's post requirements

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #64 of 554 Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'll add

Dollhouse Season One and Two .. excellent PQ .. watched the first 4 of Season One yesterday .. great show ..
As excellent as their PQ might be, neither shows as having 5.1 sound (in my PS3's Netflix player), the sole qualification for this list.

"
" -- hookbill
post #65 of 554 Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Along with what you already have listed, these should now be all of the 2010 titles that currently have 5.1. Unless I somehow missed a few.

Also Exam (2008), which looks excellent though dark. Considering the UK Blu-ray is only 1080i and DD5.1, this probably isn't much of a step down. As for the movie itself, I really wanted to like it but the ending was just lame.
post #66 of 554 Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Along with what you already have listed, these should now be all of the 2010 titles that currently have 5.1. Unless I somehow missed a few.

Added. While verifying these, I discovered that Wizards of Waverly Place: Season 3 also featured 5.1 sound.

BTW, though I added Busytown Mysteries to the lists, I've seen many shows for young kids with 5.1 and not bothered to enter them. What do toddlers care about surround sound ? I'm not wasting my time editing those into list.

"
" -- hookbill
post #67 of 554 Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

2009.. I think all the kids' shows this time are for the 8+ crowd. I think I've about exhausted my boredom for now so I don't plan on covering 2008 right away.

Greek: Chapter Five, Monty Python: Almost the Truth, and Pitchmen: Season 1 are on the HD list but don't show up as HD on the PS3 browser (?).

I'm really only correcting these because they confused me while I was going through, but The Girl Who Played with Fire is 2009, Super Capers and Ted Bundy are 2008, and Matchstick Men is 2003.
post #68 of 554 Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2009.. I think all the kids' shows this time are for the 8+ crowd. I think I've about exhausted my boredom for now so I don't plan on covering 2008 right away.

Greek: Chapter Five, Monty Python: Almost the Truth, and Pitchmen: Season 1 are on the HD list but don't show up as HD on the PS3 browser (?).

I'm really only correcting these because they confused me while I was going through, but The Girl Who Played with Fire is 2009, Super Capers and Ted Bundy are 2008, and Matchstick Men is 2003.

Added, corrected. Also, Greek: Chapter Six has 5.1 audio (it's the current season, so only one episode, though 3 have aired). You're right--Greek: Chapter 5 doesn't even show as being HD on the PS3. I just checked it out and curiously, every episode of Greek: Chapter 5 except the first has HD encodings. However, there's no sign of 5.1 sound. It's possible that the HD episodes may have 5.1 soundtracks, but since the first doesn't, the title shows as not having it as a sound selection and English 2.0 is the default with no way to select the 5.1 soundtracks if they're there.

I asked some questions of the Netflixhelps Twitter account and sadly my theory of 5.1 titles all having 1080p encodings was debunked. They say that not all 1080p titles will have 5.1 audio and not all titles with 5.1 audio will have 1080p encodings. Oh well--we have a list of titles with 5.1 sound, which is worth having in and of itself .

"
" -- hookbill
post #69 of 554 Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How were you making these lists? Get all of the HD titles from a single year in alphabetical order from InstantWatcher.com, remove the ones already on this 5.1 audio list from that and then check each of the remaining one-by-one by searching in the PS3 player ? In any case, thanks for all of the hard work .

"
" -- hookbill
post #70 of 554 Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Not quite that bad since I just added them all to Instant Queue straight from Netflix's own sortable HD webpages and checked them that way. The annoying thing was that the app doesn't always update the queue on its own without closing and reopening.

There does seem to be a high correlation between titles that appear to have 1080p detail and the 5.1 sound even though not all do.
post #71 of 554 Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The annoying thing was that the app doesn't always update the queue on its own without closing and reopening..
What I do on the ps3 to avoid closing/reopening is add then remove a random title (or remove then re-add one in your queue).
post #72 of 554 Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not quite that bad since I just added them all to Instant Queue straight from Netflix's own sortable HD webpages and checked them that way.

I never thought of that--cool . I think that I'll try working through the 2008s that way.

"
" -- hookbill
post #73 of 554 Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I found the following titles from 2008 that weren't already in the list and added them: Enjoy.

"
" -- hookbill
post #74 of 554 Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
thanks!
post #75 of 554 Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I found the following titles from 2007 that weren't already in the list and added them: Enjoy.

"
" -- hookbill
post #76 of 554 Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 AM

Thx for creating this thread Michael

When I turn on my TV, I gravitate to trying to only watch HD channels and 5.1 movies.

I was just asking my Son yesterday, who also has a PS3 is there a way to filter and only pull up 5.1 audio movies?

It was really a pain to have to go panning through each title and then checking under audio and subtitles.

Two thumbs up!
post #77 of 554 Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just FYI The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest was added today. I haven't looked, but I assume it is 5.1 (seeing as how The Girl Who Played with Fire is). I'll check for sure when I get home unless someone else does first.

Also, interesting to note that they don't have it on DVD or Blu-Ray (availability date is still unknown), but do have it to stream.
post #78 of 554 Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Just FYI The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest was added today. I haven't looked, but I assume it is 5.1 (seeing as how The Girl Who Played with Fire is). I'll check for sure when I get home unless someone else does first.

Checked and added .
Quote:

Also, interesting to note that they don't have it on DVD or Blu-Ray (availability date is still unknown), but do have it to stream.

I've run across more than a few titles which are streaming-only.

"
" -- hookbill
post #79 of 554 Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

(Part of this I posted in another thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I just tweeted the following to Netflixhelps:

If "X-High/HD" appears when you press DISPLAY while viewing a PS3 stream, does it indicate that the encoding is 1080p?

I'll report their answer here. Let's see them be vague with the answer to that one .

Okay--at first they responded with:

Not necessarily. The quality largely depends on your internet connection.

. I fired back a 2-tweet reply:

The resolution information displayed can be Low/SD, Medium/SD, High/SD, Medium/HD, High/HD and X-High/HD...

... What *specifically* does X-High/HD mean? (It'd have been sooo nice if the standard PS3 video info overlay had been kept).

To which they responded:

Sorry for the confusion - that should indicate that you are streaming in 1080p.

So Netflixhelps confirms the theory that "X-High/HD" means 1080p. Sadly, many of their 1080p encodings would seem to be a waste of the extra bandwidth, inasmuch as they don't seem to bring an appreciable increase in level of detail.

I may slowly go through the list and test each stream to see if I can get an X-High/HD encoding and mark it if so.

"
" -- hookbill
post #80 of 554 Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

These were added to WI the other day. Just watched a little of ep 1, doesn't look like 1080p to me but they all have 5.1.
post #81 of 554 Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Heat is gone from instant watch altogether.
post #82 of 554 Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM

My question is WHEN will Netflix offer 1080p service for platforms OTHER than the PS3? This is really the one weak link in their system, if you've ever tried to watch on a 65-inch or bigger screen.
post #83 of 554 Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith View Post

My question is WHEN will Netflix offer 1080p service for platforms OTHER than the PS3? This is really the one weak link in their system, if you've ever tried to watch on a 65-inch or bigger screen.

It does not seem to be hindering their streaming subscriber growth ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #84 of 554 Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

honestly, the PS3 is a great system and I never game on it. a PS3 from 2006 can play any BD out today AND even 3D content. No other player can claim that. Also sends bitstream and upconverts very well. It's a great value.
post #85 of 554 Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

At this point, 1080p is more of an advertising bullet point for Netflix on the PS3 than anything else, since you can't ever know for sure that you're getting it. A/V-ophiles who'd really care are not any core segment of Netflix's target market for streaming.

"
" -- hookbill
post #86 of 554 Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:

It does not seem to be hindering their streaming subscriber growth ..

As posted by others here, the PS3 is a great game box, even though it's a third-place finisher for a long time behind the Wii and xBox. My question is STILL, however, when will Netflix offer 1080p for many other platforms - and specifically how about the Roku XDS which already has 1080p capability built in? Even DishNetwork now offers 1080p for many films via its SlingLink internet-delivered download service(which, if you're patient enough, delivers 1080p downloads with as little as a 3MB connection). I think Netflix is terrific except for this one missing feature, as its current "HD" offerings don't look very good on a 65-inch screen.
post #87 of 554 Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

As posted by others here, the PS3 is a great game box, even though it's a third-place finisher for a long time behind the Wii and xBox. My question is STILL, however, when will Netflix offer 1080p for many other platforms - and specifically how about the Roku XDS which already has 1080p capability built in? Even DishNetwork now offers 1080p for many films via its SlingLink internet-delivered download service(which, if you're patient enough, delivers 1080p downloads with as little as a 3MB connection). I think Netflix is terrific except for this one missing feature, as its current "HD" offerings don't look very good on a 65-inch screen.

I have been wondering this also. I thought 1080p and 5.1 would come relatively quickly to additional platforms after the PS3.
Does anybody have any idea of time frame?
post #88 of 554 Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

I have been wondering this also. I thought 1080p and 5.1 would come relatively quickly to additional platforms after the PS3.
Does anybody have any idea of time frame?

As michaeltscott said, PS3 1080p/5.1 is likely more of a marketing point, IMO as well .. and you don't really know if you are getting it ..

Why not message Netflix and ask them what the future plans are or start a new thread with that question .. ?? Perhaps some of the gurus on AVS have the answer ..

I regularly stream from my Netflix account thru one of my PS3's and watch on both a 65" TV as well as a 120" screen .. granted, some HD streams are better than others, however, the PQ and AQ is pretty darn good, especially for the money .. rather than wonder when other devices will support 1080p/5.1 .. I would be much more interested in when more HD content would come available ..

Uncle Willie

post #89 of 554 Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone have any issues with their PS3 login today? At first it would say I had to sign into PSN, so I tried a couple times, but it never worked. Would eventually let me through to Netflix though. Later today just now, I tried again and it wouldn't work. I had to to manually log into PSN, accept a new terms agreement, and then it signed in. Then I tried Netflix and it eventually acted as though I'd never logged into Netflix and I had to re-enter all my info. After logging in, it came up with a completely new interface - one that I actually like, I think.

Weird.
post #90 of 554 Old 02-18-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

anyone have any issues with their PS3 login today? At first it would say I had to sign into PSN, so I tried a couple times, but it never worked. Would eventually let me through to Netflix though. Later today just now, I tried again and it wouldn't work. I had to to manually log into PSN, accept a new terms agreement, and then it signed in. Then I tried Netflix and it eventually acted as though I'd never logged into Netflix and I had to re-enter all my info. After logging in, it came up with a completely new interface - one that I actually like, I think.

Weird.

Yeah--I just tried it and I had some weirdness. The system came up and told me that I needed to sign in again to continue using PSN. I ignored it and tried to fire up Netflix, during which it kept asking me to sign in again. I'd sign in again (by clicking SEL, using all of the remembered info in the dialog) and then be told that I needed to go to PSN->Sign In and sign in again, killing any game that I might be running first. Netflix showed me the GUI and then said, "it appears that this device has been deactivated" and a button to reactivate. I declined to do that, quiting Netflix and signing in again. When I restarted Netflix it worked fine, same GUI as I've always had, no device reactivation required (on Netflix' site, it says that the device was activated today).

I'd be interested in seeing the new interface you got--consider posting a picture.

"
" -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page