Official List of Netflix Watch Instantly Titles w/5.1 Sound - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 554 Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

^ That is an awesome heads-up. I wonder why this never got a decent release.

Van Ling 7/26/08:

Quote:


"I was actually just getting started on doing something for "True Lies" when 9/11 happened, and at that point the project was put on indefinite hold due to the uncertainty of things at the time... there was a concern about the domestic terrorism angle, especially since the climax involves a nuke in a downtown skyscraper, as well as the scenes of "terrorist slapstick" in the van on the bridge. None of this concern affects either the film or its disc, but the thought was that a) it would be hard for interviewees to talk about the film in the correct tone and context so close to the event --it might seem insensitive talking about how fun it was to make a terrorist-themed comedy with the real-world events going on at the time, and b) the release of the DVD in that year's timeframe might come off as exploitative opportunism at best and incendiary jingoism at worst (see South Park's "Cartoon Wars" for a great take on fear of retaliation). We know now that probably none of these concerns would have been warranted, but it's true that at the time, we all knew that if nothing else, the film itself would get overshadowed by everything going on around it.

So it's been on hold ever since, and again, JC has to approve a new transfer and such, so that's been holding things up as well. I don't think he has any problem with the context these days. I was told by someone at one point not too long after 9/11 that the film was more popular than ever, since it showed us winning out over the bad guys."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...4728/true-lies

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 554 Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Star Trek, the original series, season 2 & 3 are now available in HD & 5.1.

They are the 'enhanced' versions from the DVDs & b-rays. The outside shots and viewing screen shots have all been redone with new cgi effects.

Very nice. I hope they release all of them soon.

Athlon,
Great to know! Thx !!
frostylou is offline  
post #183 of 554 Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Member
 
JohnOCFII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eagan, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

For those of you who are fans of the movie True Lies (1994), I just streamed it yesterday in OAR (2.35:1) and 1080p with 5.1 Dolby sound on a PS3.

This was a real treat since this movie only has a non-anamorphic release in Region 1 DVD, I have never seen it look so good.

The same movie streams in 480p (720X480) with stereo sound on TiVo HD, don't know why.

Odd - it is standard def with stereo sound for me too. This on an Apple TV that supposedly does 5.1 too. [The Apple TV is new - just hooked it up and looking for something in 5.1... trying Amadeus - it does come across in HD with 5.1 sound.]
JohnOCFII is offline  
post #184 of 554 Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Athlon646464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uxbridge, MA
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Athlon,
Great to know! Thx !!

Season 1 was added later in the day!

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

Athlon646464 is offline  
post #185 of 554 Old 07-02-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 6,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I only have two NF streaming boxes, but I tried again and confirmed that I get 1920X1080p with 5.1 Dolby sound from the PS3, and 720x480p with stereo on the TiVo HD.

There is a distinctly sharper image on the PS3, and it doesn't look like an upscaled from SD image, it's sharp with well-defined edges and no visible enhancement. I notice a bit of what may be film debris and the letterbox bars did not look quite right, so I measured the image and the actual displayed AR is about 2.2:1.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Gary McCoy is offline  
post #186 of 554 Old 07-02-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
msgohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What does it say when you hit Display on your PS3 remote (Select on the controller) while playing the stream?
msgohan is offline  
post #187 of 554 Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 785
The PS3 and TiVo are using two different sets of encodings, AVC w/DD 2.0 (possibly DD+ 5.1) sound for the PS3, VC-1 w/WMA sound for the TiVo. It sounds as though there isn't an HD encoding for the TiVo.

What's interesting is that, if you look at the list of all HD streams sorted by title (this), True Lies doesn't appear on it anywhere.

I'm testing bandwidth consumption by playing it on my TiVo S3 and PS3--I'll let you know what I find. (Currently I'm playing it on the TiVo--it came up indicating all bars SD).

EDIT: Well, I've tried watching True Lies on my TiVo S3, PS3, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 (same GUI as the PS3 with 5.1 and captions capability), Xbox 360 and this PC and it's only SD with stereo sound on all of them. If you look at its description on the players which would indicate HD (PS3, BDT110, Xbox, PC) and 5.1 sound (PS3 and BDT110), HD and/or 5.1 is not shown; when I play it on the PS3 the diag display says "High/SD" and "English 2.0". I've tested streams from all devices and find a consistent 10 minute average of 1.8 Mbps or so for the period from 4:00 to 14:00. When I test an actual HD title on the PS3 (Red Cliff (Theatrical Version)) the same 10 minute average is a bit over 6 Mpbs, and the diag display say "X-High/HD", indicating 1080p.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #188 of 554 Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The PS3 and TiVo are using two different sets of encodings, AVC w/DD 2.0 (possibly DD+ 5.1) sound for the PS3, VC-1 w/WMA sound for the TiVo. It sounds as though there isn't an HD encoding for the TiVo.

What's interesting is that, if you look at the list of all HD streams sorted by title (this), True Lies doesn't appear on it anywhere.

I'm testing bandwidth consumption by playing it on my TiVo S3 and PS3--I'll let you know what I find. (Currently I'm playing it on the TiVo--it came up indicating all bars SD).

EDIT: Well, I've tried watching True Lies on my TiVo S3, PS3, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 (same GUI as the PS3 with 5.1 and captions capability), Xbox 360 and this PC and it's only SD with stereo sound on all of them. If you look at its description on the players which would indicate HD (PS3, BDT110, Xbox, PC) and 5.1 sound (PS3 and BDT110), HD and/or 5.1 is not shown; when I play it on the PS3 the diag display says "High/SD" and "English 2.0". I've tested streams from all devices and find a consistent 10 minute average of 1.8 Mbps or so for the period from 4:00 to 14:00. When I test an actual HD title on the PS3 (Red Cliff (Theatrical Version)) the same 10 minute average is a bit over 6 Mpbs, and the diag display say "X-High/HD", indicating 1080p.

Wow Michael. Thx. I had never seen that list on Netflix. But this is just HD., correct? Meaning, many of these titles are not 5.1..?
frostylou is offline  
post #189 of 554 Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Wow Michael. Thx. I had never seen that list on Netflix. But this is just HD., correct? Meaning, many of these titles are not 5.1..?

Yep--it's just HD, which is the reason that I first posted this list (which I haven't updated in a couple of months out of laziness and disgust--the last time I tried, one of the tools I was using screwed up my queue). I think that the list of all HD titles was running about 20% 5.1 and I'm sure tha they continue to add streams with no 5.1 sound--it's probably something studios like to withhold.

BTW, you can get that list from the genre pulldown under the Watch Instantly tab--it's the HD genre. Make sure that you click the "Show rated and seen" checkbox at the top of the list on the right. Or just use the following link:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiHD?ftr=false

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #190 of 554 Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

EDIT: Well, I've tried watching True Lies on my TiVo S3, PS3, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 (same GUI as the PS3 with 5.1 and captions capability), Xbox 360 and this PC and it's only SD with stereo sound on all of them. If you look at its description on the players which would indicate HD (PS3, BDT110, Xbox, PC) and 5.1 sound (PS3 and BDT110), HD and/or 5.1 is not shown; when I play it on the PS3 the diag display says "High/SD" and "English 2.0". I've tested streams from all devices and find a consistent 10 minute average of 1.8 Mbps or so for the period from 4:00 to 14:00. When I test an actual HD title on the PS3 (Red Cliff (Theatrical Version)) the same 10 minute average is a bit over 6 Mpbs, and the diag display say "X-High/HD", indicating 1080p.

I tried True Lies on the Roku stream, it was 4 dot SD (stereo of course). It's not the OAR (2.35:1) but at least it's not 16:9 either. Assuming Gary McCoy is correct in what he is seeing is it possible that some CDN's have the HD version while others don't? I see there are paid versions on Vudu and Amazon that list the HD version.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #191 of 554 Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is there a list somewhere of the Blu-ray players that stream Netflix in 5.1? Thanks.
Jim McC is offline  
post #192 of 554 Old 07-04-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Is there a list somewhere of the Blu-ray players that stream Netflix in 5.1? Thanks.

Not that I know of, but I do know that the Panasonic DMP-BDTx10 (110, 210 and 310). 3D BD players can handle 5.1 and closed caption on those titles which feature them.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #193 of 554 Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Yep--it's just HD, which is the reason that I first posted this list (which I haven't updated in a couple of months out of laziness and disgust--the last time I tried, one of the tools I was using screwed up my queue). I think that the list of all HD titles was running about 20% 5.1 and I'm sure tha they continue to add streams with no 5.1 sound--it's probably something studios like to withhold.

BTW, you can get that list from the genre pulldown under the Watch Instantly tab--it's the HD genre. Make sure that you click the "Show rated and seen" checkbox at the top of the list on the right. Or just use the following link:http://movies.netflix.com/WiHD?ftr=false

Thx Michael!
frostylou is offline  
post #194 of 554 Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Natick MA
Posts: 17,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How does Netflix decide what they're going to be offering in 5.1 and what they're not? I fail to understand why their new offerings that already have a 5.1 encode available (ie: Enterprise and most HDTV shows) are only 2.0?

It seems in the beginning when they first started offering 5.1 there was a mad rush to offer 5.1 audio and now most of the new HD additions (and even some that were originally available in 5.1) are only 2.0. Is it a matter of bandwidth, licensing issues or something else?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #195 of 554 Old 07-04-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Is it a matter of bandwidth, licensing issues or something else?

That's my suspicion. I've compared bandwidth consumed by streams with 5.1 on and off and the difference is less than 1 Mbps, so I don't think that's it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #196 of 554 Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Member
 
JohnOCFII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eagan, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

How does Netflix decide what they're going to offering in 5.1 and what they're not? I fail to understand why their new offerings that already have a 5.1 encode available (ie: Enterprise and most HDTV shows) are only 2.0?

It seems in the beginning when they first started offering 5.1 there was a mad rush to offer 5.1 audio and now most of the new HD editions (and even some that were originally available in 5.1) are only 2.0. Is it a matter of bandwidth, licensing issues or something else?

I also find it odd that so many things are not 5.1. DVDs came with 5.1 long before Blu-ray disks were out, so I would have expected much more of their catalog to be in 5.1.

What bothers me the most is that I'd guess it is an indication that most people just don't care. If that is the case, I guess I'll be renting on disks by mail for a long time to come.
JohnOCFII is offline  
post #197 of 554 Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

How does Netflix decide what they're going to be offering in 5.1 and what they're not? I fail to understand why their new offerings that already have a 5.1 encode available (ie: Enterprise and most HDTV shows) are only 2.0?

It seems in the beginning when they first started offering 5.1 there was a mad rush to offer 5.1 audio and now most of the new HD additions (and even some that were originally available in 5.1) are only 2.0. Is it a matter of bandwidth, licensing issues or something else?

Funny, I've wondered just that . I mean ,, if they are movies that already have a 5.1 encode, and they are newer titles.. why in the world would it have to be in stereo,..
frostylou is offline  
post #198 of 554 Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Updated. There are 607 available titles in the list, 111 New!, 0 expired and 1 expired title renewed since last time. There are almost certainly some expired, but I usually check by dragging and dropping each link from this page onto another browser window, a process which usually goes extremely quickly, each description page popping up almost instantly. Netflix is currently taking several seconds to bring up a page for one of those links right now--it would take all night. I'll check the list for expirations when things are faster. (They've been having trouble for a couple of days now--I'm wondering whether they're under cyber-attack. Naw! Everybody loves Netflix)!

This'll teach me to wait 3 months between updates (the last one was 8 April ). I waded through some 700+ new HD titles looking for ones with 5.1 sound. I have most of the process streamlined with editing macros, but the one thing I can't find a way to automate is copying the links into the [url] tags. I just did it very gradually over the last couple of days.

I really, really wish that Netflix would expose a 5.1 sound filter in their API so that sites like InstantWatcher could add it. The novelty of maintaining this list has long worn off.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #199 of 554 Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post


I really, really wish that Netflix would expose a 5.1 sound filter in their API so that sites like InstantWatcher could add it. The novelty of maintaining this list has long worn off.

Well, I for one, certainly appreciate the amount of time and work you put in to maintaining the list, but I would also understand completely if you decide to discontinue adding to and maintaining it.

(Of course, I would be a little disappointed if you actually did stop... )
Keenan is online now  
post #200 of 554 Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Updated. There are 607 available titles in the list, 111 New!, 0 expired and 1 expired title renewed since last time. There are almost certainly some expired, but I usually check by dragging and dropping each link from this page onto another browser window, a process which usually goes extremely quickly, each description page popping up almost instantly. Netflix is currently taking several seconds to bring up a page for one of those links right now--it would take all night. I'll check the list for expirations when things are faster. (They've been having trouble for a couple of days now--I'm wondering whether they're under cyber-attack. Naw! Everybody loves Netflix)!

This'll teach me to wait 3 months between updates (the last one was 8 April ). I waded through some 700+ new HD titles looking for ones with 5.1 sound. I have most of the process streamlined with editing macros, but the one thing I can't find a way to automate is copying the links into the [url] tags. I just did it very gradually over the last couple of days.

I really, really wish that Netflix would expose a 5.1 sound filter in their API so that sites like InstantWatcher could add it. The novelty of maintaining this list has long worn off.

Me too Michael. Much appreciated for your time with this!
frostylou is offline  
post #201 of 554 Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Athlon646464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uxbridge, MA
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

me too michael. Much appreciated for your time with this!

+1

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

Athlon646464 is offline  
post #202 of 554 Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just watches Black Hawk Down. Looked and SOUNDED phenomenal.
It blows me away, between seeing this level of quality possible on Netflix, and Vudu HDX, how far we have come in the last few years with streaming.
frostylou is offline  
post #203 of 554 Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post
Just watches Black Hawk Down. Looked and SOUNDED phenomenal.
It blows me away, between seeing this level of quality possible on Netflix, and Vudu HDX, how far we have come in the last few years with streaming.
and it will only get better ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #204 of 554 Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post
Well, I for one, certainly appreciate the amount of time and work you put in to maintaining the list, but I would also understand completely if you decide to discontinue adding to and maintaining it.

(Of course, I would be a little disappointed if you actually did stop... )
I'll second that .. invaluable info ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #205 of 554 Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 785
OK--I went through and verified the titles in the list and collapsed the TV series season titles into one, as has Netflix (that was a lot less fun than I thought it would be ). What's left are 492 available titles, 111 New!, 14 expired and 1 ressurected since the 8 April update. There were apparently 101 "Season n" multiples. (The expired titles include a couple of my favorites: Cashback and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ).

Enjoy!

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #206 of 554 Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Member
 
JohnOCFII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eagan, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
OK--I went through and verified the titles in the list and collapsed the TV series season titles into one, as has Netflix (that was a lot less fun than I thought it would be
Excellent work, I certainly appreciate it. Given a choice, I'd rather see a clean DVD-level video with good 5.1 surround vs. HD video and plain stereo sound (like on the Netflix stream of Aliens, for example).
JohnOCFII is offline  
post #207 of 554 Old 07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Mike .. just know your work is appreciated .. and my Q grows accordingly ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #208 of 554 Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOCFII View Post

Excellent work, I certainly appreciate it. Given a choice, I'd rather see a clean DVD-level video with good 5.1 surround vs. HD video and plain stereo sound (like on the Netflix stream of Aliens, for example).

I'd have to agree--good AQ is considerably more immersive for me than great PQ, though I'd of course rather have both.

For some films, sound is everything, like Aliens (or any similar dungeon-crawl)--if you don't hear all of that creepy unseen stuff going on around you then you're missing half of the movie AFAIC. Another recent example is Monsters, sort of a mix of Cloverfield and Lost in Translation --there's not that much dialog and the atmospheric "soundscape" carries so much of the film's impact.

Netflix says that there are SD titles with 5.1 sound and I'd like to include them, but I'm not digging through all of the titles. Sorting through just the HD ones is bad enough.

(BTW, none of the Alien series is currently available to stream on Netflix. I must have missed them).

Thanks for all of the messages of encouragement. This last update, the first in 3 months, was particular discouraging. I really need to make myself do it every month, a third so much work. Still, I wish Netflix themselves would expose this information, as they do the subtitled and captioned streams.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #209 of 554 Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'd have to agree--good AQ is considerably more immersive for me than great PQ, though I'd of course rather have both.

For some films, sound is everything, like Aliens (or any similar dungeon-crawl)--if you don't hear all of that creepy unseen stuff going on around you then you're missing half of the movie AFAIC. Another recent example is Monsters, sort of a mix of Cloverfield and Lost in Translation --there's not that much dialog and the atmospheric "soundscape" carries so much of the film's impact.

Netflix says that there are SD titles with 5.1 sound and I'd like to include them, but I'm not digging through all of the titles. Sorting through just the HD ones is bad enough.

(BTW, none of the Alien series is currently available to stream on Netflix. I must have missed them).

Thanks for all of the messages of encouragement. This last update, the first in 3 months, was particular discouraging. I really need to make myself do it every month, a third so much work. Still, I wish Netflix themselves would expose this information, as they do the subtitled and captioned streams.

Absolutely Michael. 5.1 Sound to me is 1st. That's why I really appreciate your list and updates. Keep up the great work.
frostylou is offline  
post #210 of 554 Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Athlon646464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uxbridge, MA
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

absolutely michael. 5.1 sound to me is 1st. That's why i really appreciate your list and updates. Keep up the great work.

+1

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

Athlon646464 is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off