post #1321 of 1331 Unread 08-14-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If Michael isn't stating it clearly enough, 1080SD is Sony's abbreviation for 1080p Super HD, not Standard Definition. That would be an impossibility. Yes, it's a nonsensical and confusing way to do it, but that's Sony for you. It's as if they're extraterrestrials, unfamiliar with human culture and terminology. "SD, sure we can use that. It couldn't possibly already be the universally accepted term for the exact opposite of what we mean."
Erm, the streaming device being spoken of by mikescott and Lebowski, is the WD TV Live. A recent firmware update has resulted in a glitch that has 1080 Super HD mislabeled as 1080SD in the onscreen overlay on the WD's Netflix app.
This has happened before on the PS3, and was corrected a short time afterwards.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1331 Unread 08-14-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
If Michael isn't stating it clearly enough, 1080SD is Sony's abbreviation for 1080p Super HD...

We were talking about Netflix on a WD TV Live, not a Sony device. The "problem" is not the fault of the OEM, but in the web-tech code (HTML5 and JavaScript) downloaded into the device by Netflix at app start up. I suspect that the same "bug" (if an error in debug code can be called a "bug") would be present on my Sony BDP-S390, the only other device that I have with that version of the Netflix app and the stream info overlay, but I don't feel like plugging it in to see. It's not present in that display in the Netflix app on TiVo Roamio (which says "1080 Super HD" and not "1080 HD" because the 3850 Kbps encodes are gone; TV Live and BDP-S390 never said "Super HD"). Of course, the TiVo Roamio has the new UI which is written in JavaScript running not on Webkit, but a pared down, purpose optimized rendering/layout engine of Netflix's design.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 08-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.
post #1323 of 1331 Unread 08-15-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Yes, I did, with "El Fuente". You'll note my discussion of the new features in that same post. No such thing as "1080 SD", anyway--1080 res is HD. Where are you that those clips are not available?

Michael, thanks for confirming that. Good to hear Super HD is still supported. I know there is no 1080 SD but I wonder why they are using so misleading terms if SD really is their way of telling it is Super HD. Those clips are not available here in Europe where Netflix has very limited title selection.

I don't see any difference in Netflix ui between WDTV Live firmware 2.01.86 and 2.02.32 other than 1080 HD / 1080 SD video info. Did they actually update Netflix player in this firmware or was is funny coincidence that Netflix just did something at their end? Someone who still has older 2.01.86 firmware maybe could verify that?

PS. I must be getting old as I just remembered that couple months ago my WDTV actually showed ONCE 1080 SD for one title and I was scratching my head what the heck was that and I did stop playing that title and then restarted it again and display was showing 1080 HD so I thought it must have been some bug in the software. Every time I play something I check in the beginning that display and before this new firmware I only saw that happening once. My internet connection is plenty fast so it is not a limiting factor.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 08-15-2014 at 04:23 AM.
post #1324 of 1331 Unread 08-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Erm, the streaming device being spoken of by mikescott and Lebowski, is the WD TV Live.
Right but mdavej's post was still funny though.
post #1325 of 1331 Unread 08-15-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Michael, thanks for confirming that. Good to hear Super HD is still supported.

Now that the 4300- and 5800 Kbps encodes are the only 1080p ones, they probably shouldn't be distinguished as "Super HD". They're just Netflix 1080p, of which there are two encodes just as there are two 720p ones (2350- and 3000 Kbps).

Quote:
I know there is no 1080 SD but I wonder why they are using so misleading terms if SD really is their way of telling it is Super HD.

Again, it should be understood that that display is not meant for you and I, though they obviously don't care whether we use it (otherwise, knowing that people are using it they'd hide it). It's unsupported debugging code. The programmers know that 1080p is not SD and probably don't care about the bug. Once it was far more screwed up, with some text overlapping some of the other text, making it virtually unreadable (though I could see well enough to interpret the important part). It took them quite a while to fix that and someone will probably fix this insignificant bug in passing one of these days.

Quote:
I don't see any difference in Netflix ui between WDTV Live firmware 2.01.86 and 2.02.32 other than 1080 HD / 1080 SD video info. Did they actually update Netflix player in this firmware or was is funny coincidence that Netflix just did something at their end?

The latter; I plugged in my Sony BDP-S390, which has the same old common Netflix UI with the stream info overlay and it too says "1080 SD" now. As I stated above, this Netflix interface is written in web authoring languages (HTML5, JavaScript, CSS3, etc) running on top of a port of the Webkit engine, a sort of mini web browser. Most of that web-tech code is downloaded every time that you start the player, so you automatically get any new features, fixes or bugs that they've recently introduced during their development efforts. It's more relevant to check the Netflix-player-specific version information that you can get to by entering UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-UP-UP-UP-UP (an homage to an old Konami video game cheat code ). I just checked on my TV Live and it says that it's version 3.1.3 built on 4 August. (In the new common Netflix UI you can get to that information directly through the menu).

post #1326 of 1331 Unread 08-15-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Using the PS3 tonight-hadn't used it in a while to watch Netflix' US library. And I noticed that ''Max'' wasn't present among the genre rows. Max isn't available outside the US, so I didn't realize it wasn't there until I remembered I was 'in the US'.

If you didn't like Max and never used it, can you check and see if it's present on your PS3 app? If you did like/use it, look to see if it's still there. I'm hoping they (finally) made it optional.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1327 of 1331 Unread 08-16-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
If you didn't like Max and never used it, can you check and see if it's present on your PS3 app? If you did like/use it, look to see if it's still there. I'm hoping they (finally) made it optional.

It's gone. I can find no option in the app for enabling it; I checked the menu. My guess is that they decided that it wasn't being used enough to be worth maintaining.

I never used my PS3 for streaming; it draws about 50x as much power as my Roku 3. Max just seemed a goofy idea to me in any case.

post #1328 of 1331 Unread 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Max was the most useless feature. I used it once and it was so stupid.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1329 of 1331 Unread 08-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Max was the most useless feature. I used it once and it was so stupid.
What was "Max"?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #1330 of 1331 Unread 08-17-2014, 02:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
What was "Max"?

http://blog.netflix.com/2013/06/let-...de-on-ps3.html

post #1331 of 1331 Unread 08-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
If Michael isn't stating it clearly enough, 1080SD is Sony's abbreviation for 1080p Super HD, not Standard Definition. That would be an impossibility. Yes, it's a nonsensical and confusing way to do it, but that's Sony for you. It's as if they're extraterrestrials, unfamiliar with human culture and terminology. "SD, sure we can use that. It couldn't possibly already be the universally accepted term for the exact opposite of what we mean."

They also insist on telling you Internet Content is Ready rather than just playing it like everyone else. They definitely have interesting ways of doing things. If they made cars, when you step on the gas it wouldn't move but would instead inform you, "ready to accelerate".

My favorite Sony-ism of all is their aspect ratio setting. You get 2 options - original and fixed. Which one do you think would show an SD DVD in its "original" 4:3 aspect rather than stretched full screen? Original, right? Wrong. It's the exact opposite of what every sentient being on the planet would have guessed.
LOL all of this is so true. I had the same thoughts when I used their bluray player as my main streaming device.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com