Old 09-04-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
I just did notice pretty odd message at the WD forums where their support has said that in the new firmware support for the Netflix app has been removed. What the heck?
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Liv...ht/true#M32959

Not in the new firmware but in the new fourth gen version of the device (or fifth gen, I'm not sure). From their marketing text:

Quote:
You don’t need another player for Netflix.
You need a player for your personal stuff.

Most everyone has a device for playing Netflix. What these players don’t have is the ability to play your personal content in virtually any format. No reformatting. No jailbreaking. Just plug in, sit back and enjoy your stuff.

They're playing up the device's file playing capabilities, which are formidable, even in the 3rd gen. The other file-playing-centric devices, like Popcorn Hour, don't have any of the signature streaming apps either, though they do feature some streaming service players. My question is why omit Netflix? Does it cost them something to include it other than a little development and maintenance effort? Does it not make the device more appealing? Maybe I do have other devices which play Netflix, but I'm looking for something to put on a TV which doesn't have one of those attached. Whatever .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Now that the 720p crisis has past, what IS the best possible netflix streaming device? My requirements include: latest interface, 24p, affordable, long life cycle, small, works with an IR remote, 1080p SD, fast loading, fast ramping, (optional: USB keyboard support). Do the latest Roku's meet all of those?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Now that the 720p crisis has past, what IS the best possible netflix streaming device? My requirements include: latest interface, 24p, affordable, long life cycle, small, works with an IR remote, 1080p SD, fast loading, fast ramping, (optional: USB keyboard support). Do the latest Roku's meet all of those?
No--no 24p. The HDMI stick might have 24p output (the MHL one does) but it's not IR remote controllable. Otherwise the Roku 3 meets many of your requirements. It starts up in 2 seconds from the main menu (really, sometimes less; it's like magic), returning you to exactly where you where in the UI when you last exited, resetting every day. It usually ramps up pretty quickly with fast service. No USB keyboard support, but you can type things in from a tablet or phone with the control app (you can actually do Roku Searches and view the results in that app).

WD TV Live (3rd gen) has 24p output and IR control but not the new UI. It does not load quickly either. The newest version of it doesn't feature Netflix.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks. 24p is more of a wish than a requirement. I've been blissfully unaware of what I've been missing for years anyway. Got a Roku 1 a while back on the cheap but never took it out of the box. I guess I should give it a try. I don't see much difference between it and a 3 on paper besides a few bells and whistles and the faster processor of course. Hopefully it will be snappy enough.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The HDMI stick might have 24p output (the MHL one does) .
Just curious. Where does it say that the MHL one outputs 24p?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 09-04-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ostensibly that faster processor enables the Roku 3 to have that instant starting Netflix channel with the new common UI. The Roku 1 and all other 2nd and 3rd gen models other than the HDMI stick have the old native Roku UI.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
My needs were similar + YCbCr out (which rules out the Roku 2 & 3 which output RGB and cause problems with one of my TVs and one my receivers - in most cases RGB should be fine however).

I gave up on 24P and went with an Apple TV 3rd generation. Generally it starts at 5800 kbps 1080P so no initial ramp which was revelation after the Roku's. Audio is DD vs DD+ on the Roku's but the audio bit rate seems double so quality seems the same. I also prefer the Apple TV image quality - but that is subtle compared with other devices.

Edit I should add I don't use keyboard - but I think a Bluetooth keyboard should work fine. As for UI - I don't know if its the latest - its certainly newer than the Roku 2 and FireTV I have but as I don't have other devices I haven't really paid attention if other devices have newer UI's. The Apple TV UI works fine for us.

Last edited by undecided; 09-05-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Not in the new firmware but in the new fourth gen version of the device (or fifth gen, I'm not sure).
I know that the latest gen device does not have Netflix anymore but that discussion I linked was about third gen device and answer someone got from the support clearly stated that in the latest firmware support for the Netflix has been removed and suggestion was to roll back firmware to get Netflix back. Well obviously it is not removed in the 2.02.32 version as I seems to be there even after resetting the box to the factory settings. I hope that statement was simply wrong but maybe it could be sign of something happening in the future.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

My question is why omit Netflix? Does it cost them something to include it other than a little development and maintenance effort? Does it not make the device more appealing? Maybe I do have other devices which play Netflix, but I'm looking for something to put on a TV which doesn't have one of those attached. Whatever .

I agree; WD have lost me as a customer if my current Gen 3 boxes ever need replacing. I bought them purely for Netflix. The advantage over the other similar boxes was the ability to custom set the video output. I use 1080p/24 on my 24fps capable TV and 1080p/60 on my non 24fps TV. That functionality is not available on Apple TV and Roku boxes won't allow me to change DNS settings.

I was very disappointed when I discovered what they had done. I think they will lose sales with this move.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I wonder if it's some confusion with the WDTV Play, which seems to be basically identical to the latest WDTV Live SMP, but for some reason does not have Netflix.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 09-05-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
I wonder if it's some confusion with the WDTV Play, which seems to be basically identical to the latest WDTV Live SMP, but for some reason does not have Netflix.

I had a WD TV Play briefly and it certainly did have Netflix (you can see that on its spec sheet). What it didn't have was the Netflix stream info overlay which the 3rd gen WD TV does, so I sent it back and got a refurb'd 3rd gen WD TV instead.

I gave a link to the newest WD TV's pages on WD's site. Check it.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I had a WD TV Play briefly and it certainly did have Netflix (you can see that on its spec sheet). What it didn't have was the Netflix stream info overlay which the 3rd gen WD TV does, so I sent it back and got a refurb'd 3rd gen WD TV instead.

I gave a link to the newest WD TV's pages on WD's site. Check it.
It's so confusing with the various versions of the WDTV. I guess I meant the "WDTV Media Player".

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Is there any streaming device you haven't had?

Ian

Old 09-05-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Is there any streaming device you haven't had?

Apple TV, Fire TV. I hate Apple the corporation, have never and will never own one of their products if I can help it--they are pure anti-competitive, market protectionism evil. Jobs was J. Paul Getty in Birkenstocks. Fire TV can't do anything my other devices can't do that I want to do.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down Apple Corp.

Quote:
Apple TV, Fire TV. I hate Apple the corporation, have never and will never own one of their products if I can help it--they are pure anti-competitive, market protectionism evil..
And don't forget that they've been able to avoid paying billions in US taxes.http://uspirgedfund.org/reports/usf/...medium=twitter The only Apple product I have and will ever have, is a Mac Book which was my late brothers.

Ian
reddice likes this.

Last edited by mailiang; 09-06-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Typo due to posting at 1am
Old 09-06-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I switched over from Apple to Android. All I had was iPod and iPod Touched (3rd, 4th and 5th generation) but I hated that even if you wanted to do the basic tweaking of anything you had to jailbreak it which I never would do as it would void my warranty. After I got my first tablet first looking at the expensive iPad which was a Kindle Fire and it was the worst thing I have ever gotten. I send back that turd after only 4 days. I then bought a Nexus 7 tablet and I fell in love with it. I could not believe all the custimization and apps you can download that did not require you to hack your device. I then got my first smartphone and I did not want a restrictive iPhone so I got a Nexus 5 and now I am a pure Android convert.

I still have a Apple TV from last year and I will most likely buy a new one but that is my only Apple product.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I see that Chromecast now has Netflix Post-play. It doesn't shrink the credits at all, placing a semi-see-through panel at the bottom of them. If they're going to do Post-play, and they are, I'd like to see them change all platforms to do it this way.
ToonMasterTim likes this.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 74
A minor cosmetic change has been made on my 2012 Toshiba BDX3300 Blu Ray player. The Netflix app's splash screen now has the new black & gray spotlight background with red Netflix font, with that font now on the old UI (the one before the new standard). The red bar that runs across the top of the UI is now black. An example of Netflix being able to tweak the UI without having to go thru the manufacturer.
Operationally, it remains the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140909_161811.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	255354  

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
A minor cosmetic change has been made on my 2012 Toshiba BDX3300 Blu Ray player. The Netflix app's splash screen now has the new black & gray spotlight background with red Netflix font, with that font now on the old UI (the one before the new standard). The red bar that runs across the top of the UI is now black. An example of Netflix being able to tweak the UI without having to go thru the manufacturer.
Operationally, it remains the same.
I've experienced the same thing on my Panasonic TV. Also, they changed the loading platform slightly. Now it goes from moving grey squares with the Netflix logo and red background and then quickly changes to a black background with three moving red dots. I wonder if theses changes had something to do with the recent HD streaming issues. During that time this new update may have been under construction so to speak.

Ian

Old 09-10-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Netflix on my Panasonic DMP-BDT220 now starts out with a heavily shadowed "Netflix" in white on a narrow red band on a gray background with 5 little gray rectangles pulsing cyclically, then switches to "Netflix" in red letters on a black fullscreen background with 3 red dots beneath it pulsing cyclically. After the UI starts, instead of the band on top being red with the shadowed white Netflix logo on the left (as in this image), the band is black with the Netflix logo in red. The same thing is true of my WD TV Live (3rd gen). To go full new UI would require a firmware update because they no longer run their interface on Webkit, now using a pared down, purpose-optimized rendering engine of their own design (TV Live did have such an update recently but they didn't make that change); they can make these trivial cosmetic changes without changing the resident code.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Fire TV Netflix app still has the same old gray loading and red and white Netflix icon.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The more I use my little $30 Roku 1 (refurb), the more I like it. Huge bang for the buck. It does still have Roku's old Netflix interface, but it ramps right up to 5800 and does other streaming apps equally well. And since I can use an actual IR remote, I like it better than my Chromecast. My Sony and Panny players won't do HBO or SHO, so they, along with my Xbox, PC and other streamers have been taken out of service (for streaming at least).

Speaking of Xbox, what a disappointment. I was so pumped when they dropped the live gold requirement for Netflix and other streaming apps. I fired it up right away and got glorious ... 720p, are you kidding me. That was the last time I turned on the Xbox, needless to say.

And speaking of Netflix interfaces, all are absolutely awful, even the latest one IMO. If I want to find anything, I have to use InstantWatcher or IMDB. Netflix just makes things difficult to find and puts what they want you to watch right in your face. Their categories are useless.

So my vote for best value is Roku 1. The quicker 3 would be awesome if I could find a good deal on a refurb. Then again, I wouldn't want to lose IR remote capability.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The quicker 3 would be awesome if I could find a good deal on a refurb. Then again, I wouldn't want to lose IR remote capability.

Roku 3 is IR remote controllable, though it doesn't come with an IR remote. I control it with my Harmony One. I think that I used the Roku 2 command set; it responds to codes for functions which aren't on its WiFi Direct remote, like the direct access buttons for Netflix and Amazon.

Only the Streaming Sticks cannot be controlled with IR.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Roku 3 is IR remote controllable, though it doesn't come with an IR remote. I control it with my Harmony One. I think that I used the Roku 2 command set; it responds to codes for functions which aren't on its WiFi Direct remote, like the direct access buttons for Netflix and Amazon.

Only the Streaming Sticks cannot be controlled with IR.
You did you use the Roku 2 command set as I followed your lead and did the same with my Harmony 880 and a Roku 3 and it works just fine.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks guys. Good to know.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Roku 3 has the new common Netflix UI; of other Roku devices currently only the HDMI Streaming Stick and the new Roku TVs (TCL and Hisense) have it. How you feel about it versus the "native" Roku UI is a matter of taste, but it almost always starts up in 2 seconds or less. The first time each day that you start it it asks who's using it (profile support, which the native UI does not currently have); thereafter it starts up at precisely wherever you were in the UI when you left it. If you were browsing a list of TV series episodes, it will bring you back to that list, with the same episode selected as when you stopped the player.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The first time each day that you start it it asks who's using it (profile support, which the native UI does not currently have)
The current UI on my Panny S60 TV asks who's using it when I start it, but like the new one, it does not bookmark my last selection as you described.

Ian

Old 09-13-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The current UI on my Panny S60 TV asks who's using it when I start it, but like the new one, it does not bookmark my last selection as you described.

The only device I have which does this is Roku 3. All the others take significantly longer to start and ask which profile every time they start. It's not just a bookmark--it saves and restores the entire UI state.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Im using a Sony BDP S3100. Netflix works great over the wireless and the PQ is absolutely outstanding on my Samsung 51F5300 plasma. Some reviews complain about load times but I dont see any problems, it works great. Its capable of 480i to 1080p and 24p content.

I paid $45 shipped for this unit (fac refurb, looks brand new), it was a steal.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The only device I have which does this is Roku 3. All the others take significantly longer to start and ask which profile every time they start. It's not just a bookmark--it saves and restores the entire UI state.
Let me re-phrase that then. How does suspended animation sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Im using a Sony BDP S3100. Netflix works great over the wireless and the PQ is absolutely outstanding on my Samsung 51F5300 plasma. Some reviews complain about load times but I dont see any problems, it works great.
Heaven forbid if it takes something almost thirty seconds to load these days!

Ian
Josh128 likes this.

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player