Best possible Netflix streaming device - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1448 Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 540
There's tolerable start times and intolerable ones. 30 seconds is on the edge; my 2013 Panasonic DMP-BDT220 takes a full minute to start Netflix and is bog slow in response to commands once it's started. The Roku 3's 2-seconds-or-less-to-precisely-where-I-exited Netflix start-up is breathtaking--it's like a magic trick .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1448 Old 09-14-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^ Hey, 30 seconds can be an eternity.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1443 of 1448 Old 09-14-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
There's tolerable start times and intolerable ones. 30 seconds is on the edge; my 2013 Panasonic DMP-BDT220 takes a full minute to start Netflix and is bog slow in response to commands once it's started. The Roku 3's 2-seconds-or-less-to-precisely-where-I-exited Netflix start-up is breathtaking--it's like a magic trick .
The one problem I have with the Roku's is they scale everything to 1080p and don't show you what the actual streaming resolution is. With my TV, I just hit the info button if I notice a change in quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
^ Hey, 30 seconds can be an eternity.

As long as it doesn't take longer for me to heat up my cup of tea in the microwave, I'm good to go.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 09-14-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Typo
post #1444 of 1448 Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you can still get one the SONY Google TV box is the best in terms of quality and usability.
post #1445 of 1448 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Im using a Sony BDP S3100. Netflix works great over the wireless and the PQ is absolutely outstanding on my Samsung 51F5300 plasma. Some reviews complain about load times but I dont see any problems, it works great. Its capable of 480i to 1080p and 24p content.

I paid $45 shipped for this unit (fac refurb, looks brand new), it was a steal.
I agree. I also have a few $40-ish 3100's that work fine. But they won't stream 24p. They will only play discs at 24p. Not that it makes any noticeable difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1446 of 1448 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I agree. I also have a few $40-ish 3100's that work fine. But they won't stream 24p. They will only play discs at 24p. Not that it makes any noticeable difference.

Some people are particularly sensitive to 2:3 pulldown judder and even slight amounts bug them. I'm not one of them, but when I have a television that can accept and properly display 24p, I want to use devices which can output 24p video sources (like the great majority of streaming video) as 24p.

My WD TV Live and Panasonic DMP-BDT220 can output 24p from streaming video services. For the BDT220 (2012 model) it has to be turned on every time you start a service like Netflix or VUDU, which is an annoyance. I wonder if Panasonic changed that in subsequent model years.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #1447 of 1448 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Some people are particularly sensitive to 2:3 pulldown judder and even slight amounts bug them. I'm not one of them, but when I have a television that can accept and properly display 24p, I want to use devices which can output 24p video sources (like the great majority of streaming video) as 24p.

My WD TV Live and Panasonic DMP-BDT220 can output 24p from streaming video services. For the BDT220 (2012 model) it has to be turned on every time you start a service like Netflix or VUDU, which is an annoyance. I wonder if Panasonic changed that in subsequent model years.
It's one of the reasons why I like streaming with my TV. In most cases, it's always best to have the TV do the processing. I haven't noticed any judder issues on my S60.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1448 of 1448 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 361
My Sony LED and Samsung plasma do a good job wirth 24P I just leave the Sony on Cine Motion Auto and it senses it and does fine I don't know what the Sammy PDP does but it works fine .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page