AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
From "What is 1080p24?" a CNET article from July last year:
True, but he was referring to 120 hz plus frame rates which are only produced by LCD's. Like I mentioned earlier, some current plasmas offer a 96 hz cadence to reduce judder, but all of them offer high refresh rates and great motion handling with out all that extra processing. Except for what I perceive as nominal judder, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. As you can tell, I wouldn't trade my plasma for even the best LCD's, but that's just me.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1472 Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
You are talking about LCD's which create additional frames. From CNET:
My S60 is a plasma display and can only produce a 60HZ frame rate. The reason why it looks smoother when displaying 24p sources is because my TV does a better job pulling down the additional frames.
Your TV may well be doing a better job than external P60 devices - however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, some current plasmas offer a 96 hz cadence to reduce judder, but all of them offer high refresh rates and great motion handling with out all that extra processing. Except for what I perceive as nominal judder, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. As you can tell, I wouldn't trade my plasma for even the best LCD's, but that's just me.

Ian
Yes Plasmas generally handle motion much better than LCDs (even the silly 240/480 Hz ones which are trying to match Plasma motion handling) - however many Plasmas as you say support 96 Hz - my Panasonic does.

In this case 24P does look better when displayed at 96 Hz (4:4). I don't think you have this set up - but if you did try the infamous Example Short - many of whose scenes are designed to highlight exactly this. I have an old LG BD390 that outputs 720P24 from Netflix 24P sources - and you can see the difference when displayed at 96 Hz. Likewise Blu-Ray 1080P24 looks great when displayed at 96Hz. That said I still use my Apple TV for Netflix as it handles the pulldown pretty well and supports 1080P and 5.1.

In some future timeline I will have a Netflix device that supports 1080P24 YCbCr out and 5.1 audio - I just haven't found one that meets my other streaming needs....
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page